in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-22-2008 6:10 PM by soundproof. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2008 3:10 PM

BV8 and HDMI switch problems

Hello all

Having a problem with my BV8-26 and my new Xtrememac HDMI switch and would appreciate any kind of help in this.

I'm trying to connect my STB (a Samsung H360R) to the AV2 connection as a decoder. Turning the HDMI=YES on. Then trying to connect my AppleTV to AV1 as a V.AUX on my BV8 - same HDMI=YES, but as soon as I turn my BV8 into stand-by and and turn it on again, the TV seems to have lost all HDMI connection and says NO to any of the HDMI connections I just put in.

This is annoying and so far I can't seem to get it working. As if the BV8 does not like a HDMI switch at all, although the HDMI switch is turned on all the time, so signal should be available to the BV8.

As long as I don't switch my BV8 into stand-by mode, its fine on the AV1 connection (AppleTV) but no go at all on my Samsung H360R STB connected to the AV2 as a decoder.

As soon as I connect my HDMI cable from the BV8 directly to any of these devices, everything is working fine, but have to watch my Samung decoder (AV2) via the scart cable and this is just what I wanted to get rid off.

Is there anyone who's got similar problems or maybe can help out what I'm doing wrong here? 

Very pleased to hear

BeoDane 

• 05-21-2008 4:38 PM In reply to

Re: BV8 and HDMI switch problems

You are out of luck unfortunately. The bV8 can handle only 1 HDMI source at the same time. It has nothing to do wth switching the TV on or off. If you activate it on AV1 that will deactivate it on AV2.

So you will have to switch manually on the box itself and you will only be able to control one single source through the STBc.

In your case, I think I would conect teh ATV through HDMI and use teh component for the STB , which can also handle HD signal.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-21-2008 5:10 PM In reply to

Thanks JK for your reply

However, it should be possible to assign both devices (STB and ATV) to one single HDMI connection (as a decoder??) on the BV8 and then switch from one to device the other on the HDMI switch box... or am I completely off here?

BeoDane

• 05-21-2008 7:40 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

not possible
    -Alex
  • 05-21-2008 9:20 PM In reply to

Lets say you activate the HDMI for Source TV. You should be able to add the Apple TV and the STB via the expander to the single HDMI port.

However as you can select only one device for Source TV that is controlled via the STBc you need to pick and choose what that will be.

Since you have just STB and Apple TV I probably would move one of them to the component port which will also give you a very good picture and can deal with HD signals but then you can use 2 sources and control both through the STBc and Beo4.

cheers

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-22-2008 7:39 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

BeoDane, I share your pain.

Though I never tried using an HDMI switcher with my BV8, I certainly found the BV8's lack of HDMI ports crippling.  After consulting my generally unknowledgable B&O guys here in the USA (maybe they were oblivious to the BV8's nuances as it was such a new product when I purchased mine) as well as BeoWorld members, I eventually ordered a Scart to RCA convertor and used the AV2 ports to connect my STB via component inputs.  This works OK except that I feel there's a delay between the picture and the sound when watching the STB as a source.  Very annoying once one notices it, and I attribute it to B&O forcing me to use a convertor in the AV2 ports.

So, in my experience, the BV8's inexplicable inclusion of two Scart sockets yet only one HDMI socket (particularly on the USA versioned BV8) really sucks.

Mark D
  • 05-22-2008 1:10 PM In reply to

I second that BeoNut1

Thanks a lot to the rest of you contributing to this. Seems the only solution to get 2 x digital signal into the BV8 would be my ATV in HDMI and the STB on component.

Guess there's one brand new XtremeMac HDMI switch for sale now....     Shame on you B&O for making a product like this and thanks God for my BV7 in the livingroom

BeoDane 

• 05-22-2008 3:19 PM In reply to

You should actually be able to get the same high-definition video resolution with component connections from your STB ... and I don't really understand how there should be a sound/image delay.

Component, DVI and HDMI pass through high-definition signals. I'm in the "what's the fuss with HDMI?" camp -- it's worth remembering that HDMI is an anti-piracy/copying measure, nicely couched as providing "vastly improved resolutions of sound and image" in order to get us to adopt it. Sound yes, when they bother to provide HD-audio, and your cable/satellite company is guaranteed to NOT do that, even with HD-image content. And the image isn't necessarily better with HDMI than it is with Component. I have an acquaintance who swears by the latter, but he may just be an ornery and cantankerous fellow. 

Remember to use AV2 for the component connection. Seriously, compare your Component signal with your HDMI output before you get all dejected! 

AV2 is YPbPr compliant.
    The YPbPr scheme is usually what is meant when people talk of component video today. Many consumer DVD players, high-definition displays, video projectors and the like, use this form of color coding. 

• 05-22-2008 4:43 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Soundproof,

Could the percieved delay be from the Scart convertor required to do component via AV2?  I say perceived as I'm not 100% certain, but I've asked others and they fell that there's a little delay, too.

Mark 

Mark D
  • 05-22-2008 6:10 PM In reply to

Since I don't have a similar setup, I couldn't say either or as it's your experience. But I would be surprised - it's an electronic signal, and there's no significant conversion required, the signals are just being "rerouted" to fit with the scart pins -- and it shouldn't become asynchronous as a consequence of that.

Interesting. I'll do an experiment with my STB, I think I have a component/scart plug somewhere. Should find time this weekend. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)