in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-12-2008 7:43 AM by meandmyshadow. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-10-2008 5:53 PM

Crying [:'(] Beovision 8 With Sky HD How To Make Beo5 Remote Work?

Hi peeps, i've just upgraded from Sky Plus to Sky Hd and i now can't get my Beo5 remote to work? With the previous set up i had registered the set top box as Pace Sky+ and had a scart cable connection which also piggybacks the power for the Beo5 IR Blaster apparently. With the new setup i'm using a HDMI cable for my sound and vision but i've still included a scart connection for the Beo5 remote but just doesn't work? I know exactly where the IR receiver is on the Sky HD box so that isn't the issue, and i'm also still using a complete 21 pin scart cable? I've tried registering the Beovision 8 to a few different set top boxes out of the connections menu but i'm all out of ideas now. Could it be a firmware issue that the Beovision 8 hasn't had Sky HD programmed in as a connection option?

Rob 

• 04-10-2008 8:49 PM In reply to

Re: Beovision 8 With Sky HD How To Make Beo5 Remote Work?

What is the Source that you select on the BV5? If you activate the HDMI on the same in the TV menu it should work.

I don't think you can use the scart cable for the STB though. There should be a cable with IR sensor attached included. That needs to be connected to the C1 or C2 port on the TV.

I would give that a spin. 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-11-2008 5:57 AM In reply to

I am using the IR sensor in port C2 and HDMI is selected to yes in the TV menu of the remote. 2 Official B&O dealers have confirmed you need a scart connection purely and simply for the power of the IR Blaster which is how it worked last time. Obviously My input source is HDMI. 

jk1002:

What is the Source that you select on the BV5? If you activate the HDMI on the same in the TV menu it should work.

I don't think you can use the scart cable for the STB though. There should be a cable with IR sensor attached included. That needs to be connected to the C1 or C2 port on the TV.

I would give that a spin. 

• 04-11-2008 6:03 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

I belive the scart connection is necessary as the BeoVision senses if the power is set to on or off based on the voltage on pin 8 (also used for WSS, 12v and 6v for 4:3 and 16:9). For this to work you will have to use AV2 (not AV1) on the BV8.

Roger

• 04-11-2008 6:13 AM In reply to

OK! firstly the scart is not there to power the IR blaster but it is important that it is connected.  The TV detects that the STB is there via pin 8 of the scart cable, the TV sends a small voltage down pin 8 and if it does not get a reply then it assumes the STB is not there and sends an off command down the IR blaster.  So in other words, if you do not use a scart but you are using the STB controller, the controller will turn the box off when you don't want it to.

Secondly, there is little or no difference in the commands for the Sky+ box and Sky HD.  So if all you did was change the box there should be no configuration changes neccessary.  So it leads to 2 options, either the IR blaster is damaged or it is in the wrong position.

I know you have stated that it is in the correct position but it may be worth a second check, the easiest way that I have found to do it is to get the STB on and the TV in the correct mode, then with the remote controll in one hand try to cycle through the channels repeatedly while with the other hand moving the IR blaster slowly across the front of the box, until you acheive the best response.

Failing this double check your settings and try a new IR cable.

• 04-11-2008 6:32 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

An old BeoWorld-trick to check the IR-blaster is to use a video camera with Night Vision.

Roger

• 04-11-2008 6:36 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Any camera should do, even the one built in to your phone should show a small blob of light if the IR blaster is working...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-11-2008 9:08 AM In reply to

Your the man!

It's working now, just had to use AV2 rather than AV 1.

Another thing Roger, the Beovision 8 only has one HDMI input and i want to hook a dvd player to it too, would you recommend an automatic HDMI switcher? The Dvd player is 1080i output upscaling and the resolution of the Beovision 8 is 1366 x 768. What would you do in this situation? Or anyone else for that matter too? Want to try and avoid a switcher box as its more wires and more hassle.

See link for my idea http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220674&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=hdmi%20switcher&doy=11m4 

Roger:

I belive the scart connection is necessary as the BeoVision senses if the power is set to on or off based on the voltage on pin 8 (also used for WSS, 12v and 6v for 4:3 and 16:9). For this to work you will have to use AV2 (not AV1) on the BV8.

Roger

• 04-11-2008 12:30 PM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

I have never tried one of the automatic ones, but someone around here at BeoWorld must have? The DVD-player should adjust the output to 720p when connected to BV8 automatically.

Roger

• 04-11-2008 2:43 PM In reply to

I haven't tried an automatic one either. However if you use the STB I think it can get funky since the HDMI can only be set on one source and that source is then shared between 2 products

Common problems with the automatic ones are that some products keep a signal on the HDMI even though they are off. So you end up switching manually.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-11-2008 6:24 PM In reply to

Hi again mate, ill just give the automatic one a test run, it's from Maplins so easy money back if don't work. Obviously this is to automatically control/switch between 2 inputs. It might even have a switch on it so wouldnt be any hardship flicking it on everytime i go to bed to watch tv.

Another question now, I have one Sky HD box in the front room and need a splitter or automatic switcher for that too so i can run a HDMI into the Beovision 8 in the bedroom (only 1 output on these damn boxes!). In effect this is an output situation as opposed to input. Was just gonna get a splitter for this so i don't have to mess about with a switcher as the tv in the front room is a 50 inch Pioneer 508D plasma and the accessability is restricted due to size of system where as it's not a hassle to just reach behind the Beovision 8. Also would i loose picture quality if i get a splitter rather than a switcher and would the same unit mentioned before do the job?

Just to throw another spanner in the works, are these sort of devices bi-directional? For example some splitters/switchers are designed to give more outputs and others more inputs? 

Both links included below take a look peeps:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220674&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=hdmi%20splitter&doy=11m4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HDMI-to-2-HDMI-M-F-Video-Audio-Y-Splitter-Adapter-Cable_W0QQitemZ180231917746QQihZ008QQcategoryZ61395QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this makes sense! 

Roger:

I have never tried one of the automatic ones, but someone around here at BeoWorld must have? The DVD-player should adjust the output to 720p when connected to BV8 automatically.

Roger

• 04-11-2008 6:25 PM In reply to

Hi again mate, ill just give the automatic one a test run, it's from Maplins so easy money back if don't work. Obviously this is to automatically control/switch from 2 inputs. It might even have a switch on it so wouldnt be any hardship flicking it on everytime i go to bed to watch tv.

Another question now, I have one Sky HD box in the front room and need a splitter or automatic switcher for that too so i can run a HDMI into the Beovision 8 in the bedroom (only 1 output on these damn boxes!). In effect this is an output situation as opposed to input. Was just gonna get a splitter for this so i don't have to mess about with a switcher as the tv in the front room is a 50 inch Pioneer 508D plasma and the accessability is restricted due to size of system where as it's not a hassle to just reach behind the Beovision 8. Also would i loose picture quality if i get a splitter rather than a switcher and would the same unit mentioned before do the job?

Just to throw another spanner in the works, are these sort of devices bi-directional? For example some splitters/switchers are designed to give more outputs and others more inputs? 

Both links included below take a look peeps:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220674&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=hdmi%20splitter&doy=11m4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HDMI-to-2-HDMI-M-F-Video-Audio-Y-Splitter-Adapter-Cable_W0QQitemZ180231917746QQihZ008QQcategoryZ61395QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this makes sense! 

jk1002:

I haven't tried an automatic one either. However if you use the STB I think it can get funky since the HDMI can only be set on one source and that source is then shared between 2 products

Common problems with the automatic ones are that some products keep a signal on the HDMI even though they are off. So you end up switching manually.

• 04-12-2008 7:43 AM In reply to

Have you thought about using the component inputs for your Sky HD box? that would leave your HDMI free for a DVD player.  I would say that on that size screen, you would not see the difference between the two connections.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)