in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-19-2007 5:36 PM by Alex. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-14-2007 9:24 PM

• MachTzu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-15-2007
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

How to start my 'collection'?!

Hey

I've decided to start my 'collection' and I'm looking for some advice before I go down to the B&O shop.  At the moment I'm looking really just to get into the audio side of things but I have maybe a handful of CDs but thousands of MP3s.  One piece of advice I was given was to just invest in BeoPort and a set of BeoLab 6000.  Is this the right way to get into it, do I need a main unit or a pair of BeoLink Wireless as I'm going to have my PC in another room to the speakers?

Are there significant differences between say a BeoLab 6000 and the 8000, and is it worth finding the extra even for a new user?

JB
    Filed under:
  • 07-15-2007 12:16 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: How to start my 'collection'?!

Hey JB, Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink 

The differences between the BL6000 and BL8000 are significant, have you heard either of them? I wholeheartedly recomend BL4000 as they are versatile being easier to place, they have excellent rich & balanced sound quality with a reasonable amount of bass, plus they are cheaper than the BL6000. A great 'stepping stone'. Maybe even a used pair! I bought a pair not long ago for AU$1300. They go pretty darn loud without breaking up too. Superb value.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-15-2007 4:18 AM In reply to

Agree! But have a listen first! I wonder if you might actually be better off with Beolab 3s as these are the new generation, will definitely be a talking point and sound very good. I would however audition them against the others first as different music suits different speakers.

I understand where you are coming from with this idea but the Beoport in my experience has quite a few limitations. Navigating tunes is tricky with no visual feedback - I have over 15,000 tunes on my computer and navigate using the computer!

Also consider second hand equipment  - some of the older equipment is very good. The Beocenter 9500 is excellent and Ridax even does a lead so it can control your computer music without a Beoport.

• 07-15-2007 4:42 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

MachTzu was referring to the 8000s, not the 4000s, and yes there is a massive massive difference between the 6000s and the 8000s, they are not comparable at all IMO!

BeoLab 3s and 8000s are very comparable speakers, just they do have different sound characters. If electronic music is more your thing, then I suspect BeoLab 3s will be what you want. You may disagree though, so as Peter says, have a listen!

I also agree about the 9500! You can connect the latest speakers to a 9500 as it has Power Link connections (what B&O uses on all it's modern speakers). The 9500 is an absolute collector's item, and still a beautiful piece of kit. Another one to look at would be the BeoSystem 7000. Possibly the best system B&O have produced in terms of all-round features, performance and integration. Design and build to die for too!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-15-2007 9:22 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Oh yeah sorry i typed wrong! I suppose this depends on budget. If you can afford it, the BL8000's or BL3's would be something very special to own.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-15-2007 9:25 AM In reply to

• MachTzu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-15-2007
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

If I go for BL3s do I need a center to control them or will they work without one like the 6000s?
    JB
  • 07-15-2007 9:31 AM In reply to

You can use 3s with anything - even an MP3 player - see the official site which is advertising that fact right now!
  • 07-15-2007 11:25 AM In reply to

• MachTzu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-15-2007
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Awesome thanks, this may seem like a stupid question but do I need to buy a remote on top of the speakers or do they come (or does BeoPort come) with one?
    JB
  • 07-15-2007 11:29 AM In reply to

I can add that the bl3's work just perfect with several kinds of sources; i personally use them integrated with a bv7-40 and a mac mini with a nas and my audio files just sound perfect.

I must agree with Alex, yes, they work better with electronic music rather than classical but they can play with both worlds of course.

For what you want i'd buy a set of bl3s, they belong to the new generation of beo speakers and are, certainly, a god bet. 

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

Filed under:
  • 07-15-2007 11:31 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

You don't need a remote. The speakers will just switch on and off with the BeoPort. If you use something non B&O with them, they will switch on as soon as they detect a signal, and off after 2 minutes of silence.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-17-2007 11:14 AM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

MachTzu:

Hey

I've decided to start my 'collection' and I'm looking for some advice before I go down to the B&O shop.  At the moment I'm looking really just to get into the audio side of things but I have maybe a handful of CDs but thousands of MP3s.  One piece of advice I was given was to just invest in BeoPort and a set of BeoLab 6000.  Is this the right way to get into it, do I need a main unit or a pair of BeoLink Wireless as I'm going to have my PC in another room to the speakers?

Are there significant differences between say a BeoLab 6000 and the 8000, and is it worth finding the extra even for a new user?

Welcome to B&O!

I think that loudspeakers are an excellent introduction to the brand.  Which ones you choose depends on your room and the kind of music you listen to (in addition, of course, to your budget.) 

Sounds like you do a lot of listening from your computer.  The BeoLab 3s, as several folks have suggested already, are strong choices for computer music, due to their compact size.  I disagree, however, about them being good for the electronica music genre in general.  Lab 3s can be rather bottom-heavy, by which I mean the bass easily overpowers the midrange, making it sound boomy on music that has a lot of bass in the mix.  (Using MP3s as your sound source only makes this effect worse; one of the many tragic casualties of file compression is the focus in the bass.)  I think jazz and mainstream pop are good examples of music that fit better with BL3s, because the bass is definitely vital, but it isn't usually "cranked up," like in hip-hop or electronica, etc. 

I find that the BeoLab 6000s have a similar tone texture to the BeoLab 3s when it comes to the boominess I've been talking about, but they are not quite as bad.  Ironically, I like bass-heavy music on the 6000s.  They would be good in a medium-sized rectangular room, like an office or dining room, as their sound is tight, focused, deep, and clear. My opinion would be to avoid these with ambient or classical music where reverb and a sense of space are important.  But again, it really depends also how they interact with your room. (And again, MP3 compression doesn't handle reverb very well...)

The 8000s might be better in large and/or odd-shaped rooms, as they have a more open and spacious sound than the 6000s.  They are also spectacularly balanced throughout the sound spectrum.

Someone suggested the Lab 4000s, and really, those are excellent.  They have surprising range and power for their size, and they magically seem to sound good in almost any environment, placement, or musical flavor.  I think they are the most flexible and adaptable of the current speaker range!

As far as BeoPort, I can't advise much. The only person I know who owns one is running it off a Mac and has problems with a lot of the features.  I understand BeoPort is a bit happier with a PC, but you know, as fast as operating systems and other computer specs change these days, who knows what to expect!   If you're wanting to pipe music to other rooms in the home, the more traditional players seem to be more reliable with link kits/MasterLink, but since most of your music is on your computer, BeoPort might be your only option. 

If the salesperson at your local shop is any good, s/he should be able to help you narrow down your choices and give you great tips based on your needs.  You should also ask for an in-home demo.

My 2 cents!

Aj

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 07-17-2007 12:14 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I disagree! I think you'll probably find that when set up correctly, BeoLab 3s offer very generous amounts of bass, but not too much! I generally tend to prefer a slightly bass-light sound, and BeoLab 3s are to my ears, very good speakers. I tend to find that with 8000s, double basses can turn into bass guitars quite easily, and the bass sounds 'bloated'.

BeoLab 6000s, while great speakers considering their size, I tend to find their low frequencies 'flat' and dull. The bass seems to flap around behind the other frequencies, and sounds quite vague and 'closed in', as do the mid-frequencies. With electronica music, the precise computer-controlled timing of breaks and basslines tends to bring out any timing issues with speakers, and this can be heard with BL6000s. Give Leftfield's 'Dusted' a spin on correctly set up 6000s, and 3s to see what I mean. BeoLab 3s can sound very 'bloated' easily, but I feel if you set them to the 'corner' setting, they produce a generous amount of bass, while not sounding overpowering and remaining detailed and in control up to a relatively high volume. They can struggle keeping in control when playing very loud though, so that's one to watch.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-19-2007 9:15 AM In reply to

• MachTzu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-15-2007
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Thanks the advice here has been really useful, I am thinking about picking up a pair of 6000 to start with.  Then I will wait until my Christmas bonus comes in and pick up a pair of 8000 and use those as fronts and the 6000s as rears.

I've decided not to get a B&O LCD but rather a Samsung screen and a PS3 to play Blu-Ray disks, is it possible to hook these things up to get a surround sound setup without a B&O screen?

Thanks again for your help!!

JB
  • 07-19-2007 9:38 AM In reply to

MachTzu,

Before you buy the PS3 do see the following product:

LG  BH100 (High Definition Player)

Since there are two high definition formats, with this player you can read Blu Ray and HD-DVD format.

After reading the specifications at the Samsung site i think you can connect the B&O loudspeakers to the audio in L+R, please do ask your local dealer for the appropriate cables to accomplish this.

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

Filed under: , , , ,
  • 07-19-2007 9:51 AM In reply to

• MachTzu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-15-2007
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Thanks, but how do I get surround sound?  Do I need to get a separate amp to split the signal?
    JB
  • 07-19-2007 10:04 AM In reply to

I don't know what is the Samsung model that you're going to buy, but i think that using only the LCD you can't have surround, so either you buy a AV amp. or BeoSystem 3 (6.950 Eur. / 4.647 £).

Pedro "Less is more"

• 07-19-2007 10:17 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Surround Sound (5.1) needs

- AV Reciever/Dolby Decoder (e.g. Beosystem 3 or a module included in the older B&O CRT TVs)

- 5 Speakers (2 Front, 1 Center, 2 Back)     (B&O CRT TVs function as Center)

- 1 Subwoofer (not always necessary, but then it is actually 5.0 sound ;-) )

So you will at least want to have a Center Speaker... If you don't buy B&O AV Receiver you could plug-in any Speaker as Center, but you will need converter plugs to get the Beolab 6000 running - and the receiver has to be able to power on the B&O Speakers (pre-out because of the amplifier of the speakers, I assume).

Best regards

Ralf

PS: See my setup, I was wondering about alternative non B&O Screen, I did some "Excel" on this, so if you mail me, I can give you details.

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 07-19-2007 10:51 AM In reply to

If you want to use a non B&O subwoofer take a look at:

Bowers & Wilkins PV1
    http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1187&sc=ht

Pedro "Less is more"

Filed under: , ,
  • 07-19-2007 11:12 AM In reply to

• MachTzu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-15-2007
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Is there a current B&O AV receiver?  I saw the BeoSystem 3 would that be able to manage this?
    JB
  • 07-19-2007 11:17 AM In reply to

The BeoSystem 3 would be my 1st. choice, you can integrate and control everything. :)

Pedro "Less is more"

• 07-19-2007 11:20 AM In reply to

• MachTzu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-15-2007
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Awesome, do you know off hand what they're retailing at?
    JB
  • 07-19-2007 11:33 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

pedrompinto:
    I don't know what is the Samsung model that you're going to buy, but i think that using only the LCD you can't have surround, so either you buy a AV amp. or BeoSystem 3 (6.950 Eur. / 4.647 £).

As Pedro wrote....

That's why I am looking for alternatives... Even though I'd love to get the BS3!!

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 07-19-2007 11:47 AM In reply to

MachTzu,

Why don't you wait until you have your christmas bonus and then decide for the best solution ?

Pedro "Less is more"

• 07-19-2007 11:50 AM In reply to

• MachTzu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-15-2007
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

That's because I have a whole pile of money burning a whole in my pocket! Big Smile
    JB
  • 07-19-2007 12:03 PM In reply to

Hummm... so be wild and have the beosystem 3 + bl8000 + lcd take a deep breath & enjoy.

Pedro "Less is more"

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >