in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-12-2009 11:43 AM by Quim43. 387 replies.
Page 3 of 16 (388 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-07-2008 2:33 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Re: BV7 40 MKIII / SW 4.24 problem

moxxey:
    Weebyx:

No, the project manager on BV7 is on vacation now, and there will not be any(major) action until the summer is over, i have reported 2 errors to my dealer/B&O.

Nice of him to be sunning himself on the beach after signing off the sw that causes our BV7's to switch off :) If that was my company and I experienced that kind of issue, with customers who spent £9K on our product, I'd be told to come home early and get it sorted.

The problem is the "it is not a problem we have heard of yet" I don't think many people are experiencing this problem, as it only concerns those of us who are connecting boxes to the tv without SCART. And unfortunatelly it is not easy to force the error.

I beleive that they are doing all they can at the moment.

/Weebyx

• 08-07-2008 2:36 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Not sure what scares me more, a buggy Software for a product which is on the market for a long time (BS3), the long bug fixing cicle or that only one person at B&O is able to handle this..... (by the way to blame the poor engineer might be not the right way, it is the managment teams fault that there is no backup) 

Service is the area where B&O can show why we all are paying the huge extra $.

I get my update next week....

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 08-07-2008 3:49 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

kawo:

Not sure what scares me more, a buggy Software for a product which is on the market for a long time (BS3), the long bug fixing cicle or that only one person at B&O is able to handle this..... (by the way to blame the poor engineer might be not the right way, it is the managment teams fault that there is no backup) 

Service is the area where B&O can show why we all are paying the huge extra $.

I get my update next week....

Karsten 

I will just say that the service at B&O is outstanding in my eyes. Off course there is not only one person who can handle this, but as with all other products in the world, there is one person that has the big responsibility of the product. This person has a lot of people under him, and these people can also make decessions. My dealer just told me that the fastest way to a fix is to get a hold of the person who has the largest understanding of the product, and decides what the product should be like in the future.

B&O still is a "small" company regarding people employed, and they all should be able to go on vacation. I bet if 30000 people reported this error, all the SW engeneers and so on, would have their vacation canceled :)

But because 5-10 people are having issues, i will not be the one to call a person back from his 3 weeks vacation with his family, which he does not see enough as it is.

Off course it is not good enough in the first place, for the BS3 to have buggy SW, but if the problem is severe enough, i bet they will act on it, and fast.

Off course in our eyes the problem is severe, and we should be able to request a service level much higher than if we bought a Medion LCD for 500 dollars.

/Weebyx

• 08-07-2008 4:17 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Unfortunately the B&O service is not outstanding, however it is better than avarage. Just as an example, in the country where life, the service is deliverd by service partners. For my region a new guy took over the role (he worked for a local B&O B1 shop many years) just recently, however B&O did support him in a poor way and offered no training to him. So he is quite lost with all the issues. On the other hand the dealers don't have access to all the service documents any more and they need to point me the service partner. Fortunately after two month waiting  an other guy will come to my house next week to update.

Outstanding support meens usually a serious investment which product management and marketing see as a must, but when the controller ask the question "how much more revenue you will make if I invest in support?" Usually the answer is close to 0.... I've been in the consumer software business for more than 10 years and heard that question many times....

Support and service is one thing, the delivery of a outstanding product an other. Without knowing the details it looks like that B&O is at least a little bit challenged with the software development these days. 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 08-07-2008 5:18 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Weebyx:

But because 5-10 people are having issues, i will not be the one to call a person back from his 3 weeks vacation with his family, which he does not see enough as it is.

How do you know it's 5-10 users? Beoworld is no reflection on the entire B&O customer base. They're sending out *new* BV7-40's with that sw 4.24 installed - the same sw that is causing the TV to shut off without warning. The same sw which was signed-off as suitable for customer installation, by the current project manager who is now on holiday.

Someone mentioned on this board that the sw 4.24 was installed on their brand new BV7-40 and they were experiencing shut-off issues. This is a £9K TV. It should be perfect.

Remember that your dealer has to send out an installer - at their expense, not B&O's - to install a new sw update. It can't be done by simply downloading and installing ourselves.

• 08-07-2008 5:52 AM In reply to

moxxey:
    Weebyx:

How do you know it's 5-10 users? Beoworld is no reflection on the entire B&O customer base. They're sending out *new* BV7-40's with that sw 4.24 installed - the same sw that is causing the TV to shut off without warning. The same sw which was signed-off as suitable for customer installation, by the current project manager who is now on holiday.

Someone mentioned on this board that the sw 4.24 was installed on their brand new BV7-40 and they were experiencing shut-off issues. This is a £9K TV. It should be perfect.

Remember that your dealer has to send out an installer - at their expense, not B&O's - to install a new sw update. It can't be done by simply downloading and installing ourselves.

I still have white flash etc etc om my 22 000€ BV9.....Angry 

• 08-07-2008 6:41 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Weebyx:

Yes, my tv came with 4.24 installed from the factory, so yes, they are shipping tv's with this faulty SW. I agree this is not good enough, but the problem can't be that big, otherwise the testers would/should have cought it. And even though the fault did get pass quality control, then the dealers should be bombed with mad owners og a tv with the new SW.

I am the only one who has reported this error to my dealer, and i am sure that my dealer isn't lying to me.

Let's just wait until next week and see what happens, i bet i gets fixed very quickly.

Another thing is, that this SW is quite new, and i bet that there hasn't been sold that many BV7-40MK III since the new SW was introduced, and normally dealers are only updating a costumers SW if the costumer is experiencing problems or the costumer is requesting it.

And by the way, if there is af SW fault, then the dealer is reimbursed as a warranty from B&O headquarters, the dealer is not responsible for the upgrade money wise. The same when Volvo is recalling +30000 cars, the dealers are reimbursed fully there expenses if it is a warranty issue.

/weebyx

• 08-07-2008 7:30 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

mr_anders_son:

I still have white flash etc etc om my 22 000€ BV9.....Angry 

Yes, I have that too, when using the PS3. I even think it's moved up slightly - it appears around 8cm from the bottom of the screen.

• 08-07-2008 8:17 AM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

When I knew SW 4.24 was released, I asked my dealer to update my BV7-40. He said: "wait at least one year to see if the new SW is ok" Big Smile

Now I see he knows more than me about SW updates.

Quim

• 08-07-2008 8:53 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

well i got my tv and asked that before they brought it over it had 4.24 on it rather than me paying in future to have it done as i read all the info about it curing 24fps so i thought yeah ill have that.

wish i had not have bothered.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 08-07-2008 1:03 PM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

There are known issues with the STB-C (PUC) for the BeoSystem 3, but they sometimes are of a random nature and difficult to track.

As stated above you must use the scart in order to get the STB-C/PUC working. Pin 8 = 0 volt when turning on the BeoVision will let the STB-C/PUC know that the IR ON-command is necessary. When the STB is on, pin 8 is normally 6 or 12 volt (also known as WSS, widescreen signal, to distinguish between 16:9 and 4:3). An added bonus is the distribution to link rooms and the fact that you will be able to use text-tv (if your HDMI STB has scart-bypass for text) with your Beo4/5 - normally, when using HDMI, you will have to access text-tv on the STB's remote).

A scart lead with shallow pins will only have to be 1 mm tilted in order to loose the pin 8 signal (easily done when hooking everything up), so make sure the scart lead is securely hooked up and try to use leads with shallow "skirts" and/or longer connectors.

But the scart-thing is causing so much headache that B&O should look into another way of solving this. The sooner the better.

Roger

• 08-07-2008 1:29 PM In reply to

BS3 was upgraded to 4.24 yesterday.
    I have a telenet cable STB, works OK, but I cannot see the menu thing when you press on the menu button on the remote
    I have the idea the menu button works as the GO button, if I type for example "menu 1" I got the same result for STB as " GO 1".
    STB is connected via hdmi and scart.
    I have a samsung Blu ray BD1400 connected via hdmi (no scart) and also on this one the menu does not work.
    Dealer posted problem to B&O support, but no answer yet ...

any ideas ?

nico

• 08-07-2008 1:56 PM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Roger:

But the scart-thing is causing so much headache that B&O should look into another way of solving this. The sooner the better.

Roger

Especially when my PC does'nt have a SCART connection :)

It should be really easy to fix, since the problem has first been introduced in 4.24.

/Weebyx

• 08-07-2008 1:58 PM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

nico vercammen:

BS3 was upgraded to 4.24 yesterday.
    I have a telenet cable STB, works OK, but I cannot see the menu thing when you press on the menu button on the remote
    I have the idea the menu button works as the GO button, if I type for example "menu 1" I got the same result for STB as " GO 1".
    STB is connected via hdmi and scart.
    I have a samsung Blu ray BD1400 connected via hdmi (no scart) and also on this one the menu does not work.
    Dealer posted problem to B&O support, but no answer yet ...

any ideas ?

nico

Is your Samsung and Telenet boxes connected as set-top boxes ? And do you have these boxes in you set-top box menu ?

/Weebyx

• 08-07-2008 4:07 PM In reply to

yep both are configured as set top box.
    everything works, only the menu button does not
    very strange ....
    The service guy phoned B&O support, and they told him to install the scart cable, but it did not solve the problem.

nico

• 08-11-2008 1:35 PM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

I just talked to my dealer today, and he has talked to Struer. B&O is now looking into the "crash to off" feature that has been introduced in SW4.24, but as of now they have no timeschedule for when it will be solved.

All he could say was the usual "it is the first we have heard about it" But i am confident that they will find a solution. Does any of you guys have a videocamera ? I was thinking of getting hold of one, and set it on record, and then watch a movie on my PC, then we have som evidence to show B&O :)

My tv crashed 1 time last night in during a 1 hour and 25 minutes movie :(

/weebyx

• 08-11-2008 2:03 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Weebyx:

All he could say was the usual "it is the first we have heard about it"

That's what I was told !! Worse, I was told that no-one else had bothered to report the issue back to Struer and were blaming us for 'reporting' it only to Beoworld. My response was that a) I had reported to the dealer, b) that there's no reason why B&O can't take some of the tech issues on Beoworld seriously and c) it's near impossible for us to report to Struer directly - we have to go via our dealer!

I'm sure this 'first we've heard about it' statement is a typical industry knee-jerk reaction to 'yes we hear the problem is severe, but we're making it sound like you're the only one with the problem and others on Beoworld don't count' ;).

• 08-11-2008 3:16 PM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Weebyx:
    moxxey:

We started this discussion about the BV7-40 turning off without warning. My TV has done this twice this week. Grrr.

Anyone found any news on this? Nothing from my dealer. Simply been told to wait for the new sw update Huh?

Can you tell me which source you are watching when the tv turns off ?

My tv only does it when i am watching a movie on my PC, which is setup to act as a STB. My PS3 doesnt do this, but the PS3 is also not under STB in the table, it is together with the BeoMedia and Unknown PC, this group is defined as "media" in the BV7 and not as an ordinary STB.

Are you using a STB connected via HDMI when the tv turns off?

/Weebyx

Hmm, my PS3 is also doing it, has just done it during playing Grand Tourismo 5, damn its hard to control a car with the tv off :)

So i guess it is ALL HDMI devices not using SCART that is having the problem.

/Weebyx

• 08-11-2008 4:31 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Weebyx:

Incorrect. My Sky HD box is connected by HDMI and controlled by scart, but still turns the TV off since sw 4.24.

• 08-12-2008 2:48 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Weebyx:

Incorrect. My Sky HD box is connected by HDMI and controlled by scart, but still turns the TV off since sw 4.24.

??? Damn, this is bad. But is has to have something to do with HDMI boxes, my ordinary cable box, which is only connected via SCART, has never caused the tv turning/crashing off, even with SW 4.24.

/Weebyx

• 08-12-2008 3:39 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

i have noticed this also, i have put a makshift scart lead in and it also turns of the tv and a few times HDMI sync fails and i just get a snowy screen, what a fab bit of technology for £0000's of pounds.

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 08-12-2008 7:13 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

seanklemis:
    i have noticed this also, i have put a makshift scart lead in and it also turns of the tv and a few times HDMI sync fails and i just get a snowy screen, what a fab bit of technology for £0000's of pounds.

Yes the HDMI sync fail, is also present, i have only seen it 2 or 3 times, so that i can live with. It is only when changing sources it happens.

/Weebyx

• 08-12-2008 8:16 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

im affriad its not just when we change source its anytime and who knows when, any news about this, are B&o aware its happening with or without the scart lead, if so maybe a little less with a scart connected.

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 08-12-2008 10:57 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

seanklemis:

im affriad its not just when we change source its anytime and who knows when, any news about this, are B&o aware its happening with or without the scart lead, if so maybe a little less with a scart connected.

The thing i was refering to when i said "changing sources" was the HDMI sync problem, not the "crash to off" feature.

/Weebyx

• 08-13-2008 7:38 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Around my neck of the woods we have similar problems with crashing. On top of that, the cable box will not switch on when the HDMI is activated - set HDMI to 'no' in the connection menu and everything works fine. We have verified this by testing 3 different BV9's with 4 different SW's, so this issue is not only related to 4.24: With HDMI activated the STB doesn't turn on with BS3 with the following sw versions: 3.08, 4.00, 4.17 and 4.24. Of course, a fully wired scart is used in parallel for STB power read-back.

B&O uploaded something they refer to as "4.24 correction" now, and I have the service tool in my car and will upgrade tonight and see just what they have 'corrected'.

Roger

Page 3 of 16 (388 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »