in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-25-2009 9:22 AM by Stars. 194 replies.
Page 2 of 8 (195 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-21-2007 4:50 AM In reply to

Re: Beo5 - where are we?

Bingo,

The unit is working perfectly fine, the software is a bit painful to use, but we're not suppose to know. It can still be used to achieve any kind of programming.

What we're trying to say is that if the dealer (or yourself if you've got the software) is not spending a LOT of time configuring the remote, you will not experience the benefit of this fantastic remote over the Beo4.

Aside from its looks, it is the customisation that is the big bonus for the remote, and customisation takes time, and you need several iterations to get it right... just because everybody will want something different.

p.

• 11-23-2007 6:36 AM In reply to

Bingo:

Well, I am really shocked by this all and I suppose that most of the dealers are not happy with this bad working unit. People have to come back to them over and over again to get it working properly.

I don 't understand that B&O did not wait a little longer to launch it when the product and software was really finished. For such a premiumprice it should work much better plain out of the box in my opinion.

If you buy a universal remote... does it work correct out of the box?

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 11-23-2007 7:46 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

sorry, was a private message (in dutch)
  • 11-23-2007 11:21 AM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:
    Bingo:

Well, I am really shocked by this all and I suppose that most of the dealers are not happy with this bad working unit. People have to come back to them over and over again to get it working properly.

I don 't understand that B&O did not wait a little longer to launch it when the product and software was really finished. For such a premiumprice it should work much better plain out of the box in my opinion.

Probably the most sensible comment I have read about Beo5 so far Karel!  Sometimes we expect waaaaaaaay too much!

BV7-40MK4BR,7-32,6-22,6-23,6-26,BSnd5,9000,BLab9,3,4000,2,BCom2,6000,Btalk1200,LC2s,Lutron

• 11-23-2007 2:05 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Karel Uyttendaele:
    Bingo:

Hang on here!!

a universal remote is a completely different animal! it has to be all things for all brands, thousands of possibilities. B&O only have their own very limited range of products to think about- with customers that have paid high prices for it- not for nothing are the gross margins of B&O amoungst the highest in the industry!

I expect a product like this to have software developed to an acceptable degree and  atechnical support system in place- not a clueless dealer network!

All in all you cannot defend the actions of B&Oin this matter

• 11-23-2007 5:26 PM In reply to

355f:
    Karel Uyttendaele:
    Bingo:

Hang on here!!

a universal remote is a completely different animal! it has to be all things for all brands, thousands of possibilities. B&O only have their own very limited range of products to think about- with customers that have paid high prices for it- not for nothing are the gross margins of B&O amoungst the highest in the industry!

I expect a product like this to have software developed to an acceptable degree and  atechnical support system in place- not a clueless dealer network!

All in all you cannot defend the actions of B&Oin this matter

A fair and justified point.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 11-23-2007 5:55 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I'm lucky myself that i have a very good friend that is both a dealer and an very technically minded person. He is also patient, and will spend his own free time researching and solving problems and will be like a dog with a bone when faced with new challenges such as the Beo5.

However, although there are some very clever members of B&O staff - there are also a lot of trainees and not-so-technical sales assistants that have no real idea how to programme the Beo5 - and as rightly pointed out, the senior assistant or store owner that spends 3 hours with a customer programming their Beo5 again and sorting out technical issues could have had a handful of big-spending customers walk out of the store in the meantime..

In principal, the "make it dealer only for the programming and let's build a special relationship with the customers" was a good one, but it's fundamentally flawed.  The customer will come back 2 or 3 times then feel like they are abusing their relationship by taking up so much of the dealers time, and they will also get pretty hacked off with the remote for taking up so much of their own time too - i know i would.   I also think that actually understanding the Beo5 and what it can do could bring you 'closer' to it, and the satisfaction of doing something yourself is far more rewarding then handing it dutifully to a dealer and humbly accepting it back after they have made it work for you, thus feeling a bit of a dummy.

A simple online tool, with a password for owners issued with the remote and a very simple programming menu would have been preferable, and for those that really aren't at all technical the option of taking it to their dealer where even the most junior of staff could configure it.

I'm not hugely technical myself - i'm more of a marketing and sales type, but being one of the worlds most expensive remote controls it should at least be devoid of such complications.  It's a lovely remote - but by "slamming the doors" on us they really have alienated themselves and probably cost themselves a lot of money to boot.  Pride comes before a fall they say... i do hope not.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 11-24-2007 1:27 PM In reply to

• David
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-05-2007
    • England
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

I went to my dealer a few weeks ago to see the Beo5 in the flesh.When I asked the salesman "what could it do over the Beo4! he just stared at me blank face and didn't answer. He had no sales talk nor seemed to know anthing about it. When we left the shop my 8 year old daughter asked if the man was "ok!"

Think I will be going down the Apple iphone/touch route.

Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 2, LG CX65, Beosystem 3, Beosound 9000, Beolab 3500

• 11-24-2007 1:39 PM In reply to

This is batty! The Beo5 is a great remote - it just needs setting up properly! The iTouch cannot fully replace a B&O remote - though it makes N.Music on a Mac fantastic! However as far as I know, you need a Mac! The Beo5 makes using a B&O AV system much easier - fewer button presses and lovely graphics. It is also wonderfully tactile and the two step button press is wonderful.

Where are you based? If possible, try another dealer! I dare say we can recommend one that knows the Beo5 well and can help. More and more templates are being added to the Beo5 programming software and the vast majority of homes can be easily programmed so that the Beo5 will work brilliantly. Don't let one salesman who hadn't done his homework put you off. I would contact the dealer concerned though as he will want to know!  

• 11-24-2007 6:28 PM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

I’m still on the fence… specially after this interesting thread…. I was going to get a Beo5 for Christmas but no one at my dealership is very technical and I know they wont be keen to hand me the software.  They didn’t really have a very good demonstration of the Beo5 and not taking advantage of its functionality in the shop.

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 11-25-2007 7:00 AM In reply to

As Peter points out above, you can't really compare Beo5 and the iPod Touch -- the latter requires you to have a computer running.

Beo5 is a stand-alone, fully BeoLink compatible B&O remote that enhances the B&O experience when properly configured. Very likely it's also too complicated to set up at present - let's hope B&O releases templates for the most popular/useful configurations, instead of having people spend lots of time and dealer visits on bespoke configurations -- it appears to be a good idea that got too complicated.

• 11-25-2007 7:44 AM In reply to

Well, why are there so many dealers that do not have the proper knowledge of the Beo5?

I think Bang & Olufsen should take more care about that. Now a lot of BEO5 owners are having a not optimal working BEO5 I think.

• 11-25-2007 10:06 AM In reply to

Bingo:

Well, why are there so many dealers that do not have the proper knowledge of the Beo5?

I think Bang & Olufsen should take more care about that. Now a lot of BEO5 owners are having a not optimal working BEO5 I think.

This time, I agree with you: B&O could do things little bit better about the beo5 configuration global strategy.

But If I want buy a remote which works well directly out of the box in the optimal way, without spending a minute at my dealer place for a configuration, which control ALL my B&O stuff perfectly and immediately... then I'm clearly a Beo4 customer. That's another reason why B&O still offers both devices.

David:
    I went to my dealer a few weeks ago to see the Beo5 in the flesh.When I asked the salesman "what could it do over the Beo4! he just stared at me blank face and didn't answer.

I asked exactly the same question to my dealer !!! but he is a really good one... and he said immediately:

"3 things to begin!"

1.- Darkness or semi-darkness perfect control.

2.- Multiple full customizable configurations in the same device.

3.- Macros of commands, which do complex and repetitive actions lot easier.

In addition, IN THE FUTURE, beo5 will be able to direct control lot of non-B&O IR devices.

But again, if a customer thinks that those qualities are not useful for him, then better go for a beo4. 

Santiago

• 11-26-2007 1:22 AM In reply to

The beo5 that comes with my BV 7 is still at my dealers for configuration, it has been two weeks, and still they can't give me the remote yet.  Apparently they are having problem setting up Foxtel ( Australian Cable) icons.

So I am still using Beo4 that comes with Beosound 4, so I have to continuously  take the remote upstairs to use with the Cd player and then downstairs if I want to watch TV. 

• 11-26-2007 7:05 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Some problems aren't the dealers' fault: my dealer is manually programming all the Samsung STB-codes into the Beo5. Normally they can download/transfer them from their B&O-site.

So, I some cases B&O (and not the dealer) is to blame in any delay....

• 11-26-2007 12:54 PM In reply to

I understand that they are working on an enduser software which is more intuitive working than the current (I have seen my dealer programming it... Believe me you wont go there yourself today)

I'm living in a neighbourhood where the channels are changed every second month. I can't work with a Beo5 where I have to visit my delaer every second month to download new icons....Despite the design tempts me... 

In my view it's to early to release the product.

The Dane

Maybe this is as good as it gets... BV7-40 MKII, BL9, BC2, BL6000, MX4000, Beosound 3, HDR1
  • 11-26-2007 2:02 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

B&O is being very straight forward about the current configuration software and have told dealers in multiple times NOT to give out the software to the public. It is a dealer only tool and if you don't like it then don't buy the remote. 

They also said that there will be another software for the public sometime early next year. Wont give you as much freedom of programming but some and I think that is a great thing of B&O to do from their part. 

I know I wont be giving my clients the software and will be more than happy to sit down and spent as much time necessary to configure it to their liking. I can save them from a stressful time in front of a computer and Im sure they will appreciate that. 

-Alex
  • 11-26-2007 2:18 PM In reply to

Alex,

Good to see loyal dealers! (Some are giving it away now...)

However it won't spare me the frustration of constantly going to the dealer to have the software updated... It's the concept I don't like. It's the same as if the dealer had to lock volume, brightness and loudness on my system... I wan't to do that on my own !

The Dane

Maybe this is as good as it gets... BV7-40 MKII, BL9, BC2, BL6000, MX4000, Beosound 3, HDR1
  • 11-26-2007 3:52 PM In reply to

• claes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-04-2007
    • Malmö, Sweden
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Am I the only one having problem with its sound?

The clicking noise from the scroll wheel would probably make me a divorced man, should I try to use a Beo5 in my bedroom... 

And, I prefere the old BeoLink 1000 to a Beo4. I hate the user-hostile LIST-LIST-LIST procedure in a dark room. With an old BeoLink 1000 I knew exactly where every button and function was. And they stayed in the same place.

• 11-26-2007 4:48 PM In reply to

I am afraid I am about to depart from the company line here. This is a mad situation. The Beo5 is extremely versatile but is not being allowed to be as most dealers seem unable to release its full potential. Customers are therefore having to make do with second rate configurations which disillusion them and quite frankly go back to using the Beo4. What should be a complete triumph looks like an expensive basic remote.

The really sad thing is that this is not basic at all. It can perform tasks at the press of one button that  are immensely complex. A true B&O product - like a swan - all serenity on the surface but a flurry of action to provide real power. I urge all members to make sure your dealer helps you set up your remote exactly as you want it. You are paying for a premium product, make sure you get one. Hopefully the number of templates will continue to increase. If you think there is a feature you want, ask for it. Feel free to ask on here if it is possible and don't take no for an answer from a dealer who has sold you the remote and then seems less interested.

This is a great product. Help B&O make sure it is recognised as such. 

• 11-27-2007 4:33 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

Was looking at the Beo 5 on the weekend and was quoted an extra $150.00 AUD to set it up on top of the $925.00 asking price. Does it cost extra to program?

Seems to me the dealer programming is acting more as a disincentive to purchase. The simple fact that if you want to change anything it's back to the dealer - in my case a 4 hour round trip.

By the way does it come with a carry case for the outside trips?

Think I'll stick to the Beo 4 for the time being.

Peter

• 11-27-2007 5:46 AM In reply to

Niveau:

I'm living in a neighbourhood where the channels are changed every second month. I can't work with a Beo5 where I have to visit my delaer every second month to download new icons....

This is my problem, as well. My cable company keeps updating the channel listings just about every two weeks, in fact! 

• 11-27-2007 7:34 AM In reply to

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

I pre-ordered mine and got it for sub-GBP£400, but now that dealer has realised the time/effort taken to program it and has raised the price to GBP£500+. There was even talk of it reaching £600 if problems persist. Like Peter says............it's another case of B&O snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I will post 'My Beo5 Story' when I get mine sorted!! (I must be close to double figure visits to my dealer)

Ian

• 11-27-2007 7:42 AM In reply to

Don't buy it at this price... you still get it for much less....

p.

• 11-27-2007 8:13 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Ian:

I pre-ordered mine and got it for sub-GBP£400, but now that dealer has realised the time/effort taken to program it and has raised the price to GBP£500+. There was even talk of it reaching £600 if problems persist. Like Peter says............it's another case of B&O snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I will post 'My Beo5 Story' when I get mine sorted!! (I must be close to double figure visits to my dealer)

Ian

Fortunate for you that you have the patience and time to do this- A totally unique situation that B&O have put their customers in. I cant think of any brand that would subject its customers to this nonsense.

So many individuals I know that own B&O have decided not to get this item as a result of the fiasco surrounding this product

Page 2 of 8 (195 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »