in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-25-2009 9:22 AM by Stars. 194 replies.
Page 3 of 8 (195 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-27-2007 3:00 PM In reply to

Re: Beo5 - where are we?

B&O's apparent business model for the Beo5 is to provide the software tools and training to their dealers to configure the Beo5 to the customers exact requirements which is intended to create a very happy customer as well as a means of further revenue generation for the dealers. As a basic business model for this product there is nothing wrong with their aim in my view, however it assumes that the following are fully in place:-

• A fully working Beo5 Configuration Tool for use by technical & non technical dealers to use.
    • Training not only how to use the tool, but what to consider when marketing the dealers services and how to demonstrate the product to the customers other than physically show them the product.
    • Supporting documentation for the customer to consider prior to configuration, defining what can and cannot be configured and allowing the customer time to consider their requirements prior to the actual configuration process. i.e. what TV & Radio station they want logos for, any requirements related to lighting and Beoliving products etc. The dealer should already know the customers product configuration, but is unlikely to know their preferred channel selection order for example.
    • Dealers clearly defining in writing their configuration charges and terms related to how often the configuration can be changed without further charge.

After the short time since the Beo5's introduction there has been mixed customer reaction and based on the small Beoworld poll a lot of customers have been frustrated, not with the physical product, they love it, but with the configuration process and their inedibility to have a remote that is configured to their requirements.

When it comes to charges there is a very mixed picture with no clear strategy. The most common pricing structure appears to be a product price which includes the first configuration and subsequent update configuration changes which are charged extra. However the grey area is where does the first configuration end. After the customer receives their configured Beo5 it may be days or even weeks before he/she comes back to point out some changes that are needed. This is where clearly define terms need to be published by the dealer.

Having said that, I have noted several dealers who have taken a much more positive approach to this configuration pricing situation by not charging at all for providing Beo5 configuration and subsequent updates, but seeing it as an opportunity to keep in touch with their customers who may purchase future B&O products. This would be the approach I would use if I were a B&O dealer, they may get a few hundred Pounds/Euros/Dollars from doing a couple of configuration changes now or giving themselves a future opportunity for bigger sales in the future.

Clearly many dealers have provided their customers in many countries with the configuration tool which appears to be for one of the following reasons:-

1. Some customers are just to demanding for some dealers to ever fullfil their requirements, so they provide the software as a way of keeping the customer happy.
    2. The dealer does not have the knowledge or understanding of how to configure the Beo5 to the level needed.
    3. The dealer never wants to say NO to a customer request.

The biggest flaw in the B&O strategy is their failure to provide on release date a comprehensive set of pre-define templates. For example in the UK most B&O customers either have "Freeview" or "Sky" so it would be reasonable to expect templates for both product areas, but there are current none.

In my view the biggest and quickest improvement which could be made by B&O is to provide the dealers with a comprehensive set of templates by country regularly updated which takes into account the most common configuration requirements of that country

To start the process rolling, I am pleased to provide UK Dealers with the following configurations in a downloadable ZIP file as follows:-

• UK Analogue TV Stations
    • UK Freeview TV Channels (English Region)
    • UK Freeview TV Channels (Scottish Region)
    • UK Freeview TV Channels (Welsh Region)

If the Configuration Tool is running, stop it and then download the UK Freeview and Analogue TV Channels.zip HERE and extract the files to C:\ which will automatically put all the files in the correct directories in the Beo5 Configuration Tool. When you go into the Beo5 Configuration Tool, click the "Choose Product" tab at the top and on the right click the pulldown, then click logos and the above will be seen as well as the previous three templates marked 9, 18 & 27 logos

Just drag-n-drop the template you want and a window will open showing all the channels with the associated logos all sized correctly at 100 x 44 and if the customer needs any channels in a different order, just change the numbers and click OK and its done.

Below is what you should see in the logos pulldown after you have extracted the zip file and started the Beo5 Configuration Tool again:-

Logos

Regards Keith....

• 11-27-2007 3:38 PM In reply to

Keith - you are a star!
  • 11-27-2007 4:08 PM In reply to

Hear hear..

Not just adding words, but taking actions... That's how we move our sphere of influence..

The Dane

Maybe this is as good as it gets... BV7-40 MKII, BL9, BC2, BL6000, MX4000, Beosound 3, HDR1
  • 11-28-2007 2:58 PM In reply to

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

After more dealer visits, and still not quite getting the setup I want (I've got major problems switching between sources) I've come to the conclusion that Beo5 is actually quite a poor product. It could be very good, but at the moment it just doesn't work. There is NO WAY I could ever consider getting rid of / or not using the Beo4 in conjunction with a Beo5.

Ian 

• 11-28-2007 6:55 PM In reply to

Stick with it Ian. I only got mine yesterday and it is taking getting used to but its a wonderful product in true B&O style trust me. I am really beginning to realise the potential of this device. Its great in the dark too!

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 11-28-2007 7:48 PM In reply to

Dear Simon:

Before, you realized that we have a very similar set up.  How are you going to integrate the Beo5?  I am considering getting it.  At the moment, I manually turn the BS 9000 in the upstairs room and keep the remote where the BV 7 is located.  

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 12-03-2007 1:07 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I picked up my Beo5 from my dealer on sunday (yes, shops are open on Sundays here in Luxembourg). He has programmed it for me, and I only tried it out a few seconds. As SWMBO bought it for me as a birthday-present, and my birthday is only on december 12th, I must not use it until that day. That's hell!!!!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 12-03-2007 6:59 PM In reply to

darioazul:

Dear Simon:

Before, you realized that we have a very similar set up.  How are you going to integrate the Beo5?  I am considering getting it.  At the moment, I manually turn the BS 9000 in the upstairs room and keep the remote where the BV 7 is located.  

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Dario 

Hi Dario,

Well, I am not going to integrate the Beo 5, the local dealership is! To be honest, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, i.e. when I start building other B&O rooms in my home. For the moment, it is operating the BV7-40, the 7-2 speaker and Radio and CD from the BeoSound 9000 masterlinked to it. That's about it so far. Other rooms will have older equipment, probably a BeoCentre 9500 or more likely a BeoSystem 7000 if I can find a nice one. I want to use a BeoLink 7000 (older remote) to operate those though but of course the Beo 5 will be able to do it as well.

The Beo 5 has a lot of scope so its probably a very worthwile investment from a remote point of view, but it does depend what type of customer you are and what you look for from your products. I am always about style first and foremost.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 12-14-2007 10:33 AM In reply to

• brynhp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-02-2007
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Well my local dealer is quoting 475 UKP including initial programming.  From what you say this seems to be excessive.  Is there significant variation between dealers then?
  • 12-14-2007 11:34 AM In reply to

Provided your dealer programs the Beo5 to your exact requirements, then it is a fair price. The key thing to agree with your dealer before they start is when does upfront programming finish. In my view that should be when you have tested the configuration and everything is working as requested.

Regards Keith....

• 01-14-2008 2:54 AM In reply to

Members may recall that at the end of November I add my views to this thread about the programming of the Beo5. I made comments about the need for Templates and in particular logo templates which in my view were the most time consuming task for the dealer to do manually.

I said

The biggest flaw in the B&O strategy is their failure to provide on release date a comprehensive set of pre-define templates. For example in the UK most B&O customers either have "Freeview" or "Sky" so it would be reasonable to expect templates for both product areas, but there are current none.

In my view the biggest and quickest improvement which could be made by B&O is to provide the dealers with a comprehensive set of templates by country regularly updated which takes into account the most common configuration requirements of that country

I understand that dealers will be getting an update in the near future from B&O, but their customers need resolution to issues now and so Beoworld has created a Beo5 Resource & Information Centre to assist them in providing their customers with a quality service. Whilst this information is intended to assist dealers, any user who has the Beo5 Configuration Tool will find the Templates most useful, particular if you have SKY or Freeview in the. UK

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Yann Gourrier for his assistance with the French channels.

The Beo5 Information & Resource Centre is now available HERE 

If you have any comments or information which you think may be helpful and would like it added to the "Information & Resource Centre" then please PM (Private Message) me.

Regards Keith....

Filed under:
  • 09-04-2008 3:41 PM In reply to

So let me get this straight - if I buy a new B&O product or move house and change my layout, I have to go back to the dealer and pay them to change the setup???

If that's the case then its a licence to print money!

• 09-05-2008 4:34 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Peter :
    one would hope that teething problems will have been sorted out and that dealers are now up to speed with programming these devices to suit the needs of their customers. 

I would only buy one if I had full control programming it. I really think B&O have messed up on this one.

• 09-05-2008 8:43 AM In reply to

britops:

I would only buy one if I had full control programming it. I really think B&O have messed up on this one.

i am in complete agreement...

i thk that at the very least, they should offer a website service similar to logitech's harmony site.
    i was able to program my LH880 in less than 10 minutes to run my avant ;-P
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 09-05-2008 8:45 AM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

I had some downtime this morning at work and decided to familiarize myself with some current opinions about the Beo5, and it was (and continues to be) a fascinating read.

/begin rant

For me (not that it means a hill of beans to this community, I thought I'd share), the only point that hits home and doesn't make me a Beo5 customer is the fact that at this point the only official way for the customer to tailor the Beo5 to his or her needs is to visit a dealer. Period. It is an unfair non-negotiable in my book for a business model to require this as standard. As an option, I can understand, but not as a standard.

The Beo5, from all accounts is a remarkable piece of hardware, but as the Apple Nuts on these forums are accustomed to: remarkable hardware NEEDS remarkable software, and B&O, I think are laggards in this respect (maybe this is understandable). But when releasing a product to the hoards of salivating fans (usually the first in line to buy are not technophobes by any means), have something that is customizable, BE customizable by the end user.

If the hardware was designed... leave it on the shelf and code a GREAT intuitive application which not only will allow the customer to tinker to his heart's content, but will justify maybe another price premium for ease of use.

What I think B&O needs are human interface software programmers with an eye for end user interactions. They already have industrial designers and engineers who make GREAT interfaces (just look at what can be done with the jogwheel on a Beocom series phones)... Why not apply those sensibilities on all B&O software. Make it universal (Mac & PC).

B&O don't know how good they have it in a loyal customer base who can be  even more passionate advocates for this company if only a few things are done differently.

/end rant.

Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 09-05-2008 11:08 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Well, why are there so many dealers that do not have the proper knowledge of the Beo5?

I think Bang & Olufsen should take more care about that. Now a lot of BEO5 owners are having a not optimal working BEO5 I think.

I asked exactly the same question to my dealer !!! but he is a really good one... and he said immediately:

"3 things to begin!"

1.- Darkness or semi-darkness perfect control.

2.- Multiple full customizable configurations in the same device.

3.- Macros of commands, which do complex and repetitive actions lot easier.

In addition, IN THE FUTURE, beo5 will be able to direct control lot of non-B&O IR devices.

But again, if a customer thinks that those qualities are not useful for him, then better go for a beo4. 

is that CONFIRMED that the Beo5 will be able to direct control NON B&O Ir-Devices in the future?

Actually I'm thinking: Beo 5 or Philips Pronto? ...

• 09-05-2008 11:21 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

As keith informed us the beo 5 can now control Lutron so I assume other appliactions are possible.

I found my self frustrated by mine- it was only of any use at all thanks to a dedictaed member of this site.

I just feel its a step back in time- it has a touch screen that isnt, it all feels a bit 'tacky' and in the drak ages compared to a pronto for instance.

Despite the fact on can theoretically do any programming option with this device I cant get it to do what I want it to do and find myself heading for the be04 again that seems to make it so easy.

Ive seen the pronto on action and the lardger home cinema version looks v good- there seems to be various diverse reports on programming- but they do seems to have a dedicated helpline.

• 09-05-2008 11:33 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Somewhere, I have seen a skeleton view of Beo5 but I can't seem to find it.
    I'm sure I remember seeing that it had four IR LEDs. Only two seem to be in use at the moment!
    Read into that what you will.
    When we asked about two way and third party products in Struer, we were given a sheepish grin and no comment. 

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-05-2008 11:43 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Jandyt:
    I'm sure I remember seeing that it had four IR LEDs. Only two seem to be in use at the moment!
    When we asked about two way and third party products in Struer, we were given a sheepish grin and no comment. 

Well maybe one day, in years to come B&O will ofer third party control- I think this somewhat clandestine approach that epitomises B&O is a bit short sighted. B&O finds itself between a rock and  ahard place- anaolgue products in a digital world.

They should be doing all they can NOW to malke what they have better- maybe there will be a white beo 5 that will improve its performance

• 09-05-2008 1:06 PM In reply to

TWG:
    is that CONFIRMED that the Beo5 will be able to direct control NON B&O Ir-Devices in the future?

Everytime I ask that question to my dealer, the answer is always the same from the very begining:

"I hope so... but who knows! anyway the non-B&O devices IR-control by beo5 is not now a priority question for them; however we must be patients, that's the B&O way! ".

Santiago

• 09-11-2008 4:57 AM In reply to

qweicc, please contact James Pyne - showroom manager in the Burke Street Melbourne Branch. He has all the configuration and template files for Australila including Foxtel HD+ and all icons. I have also seen this working very well in his showroom including teh Beo 5 controllilng a PS3 in a Beoliving Cinema Projection concept via the BS3

Tell him I recommended you. He is a good guy who knows B&O well.

Peter

• 09-11-2008 6:46 AM In reply to

• Burnix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Jandyt:

The Beo5 has three IR LEDs which are all in use at the moment. You can see this with you camera on your mobile phone when operating Beo5. Two of the IR LEDs points upwards (when standing) and the remaining point straight out of the back part (perpendicular to the LCD).

There are no "extra" un-used LEDs.

• 09-11-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Thank you Burnix for clearing that up.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-12-2008 2:22 AM In reply to

• Burnix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Actually the Beo5 has four LEDs in the top part, but the last one is a standard red LED that some of you might have noticed turning on for a short time when powering up the Beo5. That of course makes a total of four LEDs, but it still only has three IR LEDs.

• 09-14-2008 4:31 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

I have my Beo5 natively controlling a STB, Apple TV and HD DVD Player connected to my 20 year old MX 5000 TV ...
    Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
Page 3 of 8 (195 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »