in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-25-2009 9:22 AM by Stars. 194 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (195 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-18-2007 5:41 AM

Beo5 - where are we?

The launch of the Beo5 was now some time ago and one would hope that teething problems will have been sorted out and that dealers are now up to speed with programming these devices to suit the needs of their customers. However we do seem to be getting a fairly constant flow of dissatisfaction from some consumers. We all know that the unhappy will be more vociferous than the satisfied for obvious reasons. I think it is probably time to quantify this though so would be very grateful if you could take part in this survey if you have a Beo5.

Please let us know your experience with the Beo5

• I have a Beo5 which was set up by my dealer and it works perfectly with my system. (7.5%)
    • I have a Beo5 which was set up by my dealer which still doesn't work as I would wish. (10.8%)
    • I have a Beo5 but have relied on getting the software and setting it up myself. (31.2%)
    • I have a Beo5 and have used a third party - not a dealer - to set this up. (1.1%)
    • I am waiting for the Beo5 to work properly before buying one. (35.5%)
    • I would not buy a Beo5 as I think the Beo4 is better. (14%)
    • Total Votes: 93
    • Voting Ended: 12/02/2007
  • 11-18-2007 8:22 AM In reply to

Re: Beo5 - where are we?

Interesting poll results although only 11 people it seems have bought one! Not encouraging. I was going to go and buy a Beo 5 remote next week, are they so bad? More information please on what these 'teething' problems are and when would be a good time to buy the remote?

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 11-18-2007 8:52 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

The Beonic Man:

Interesting poll results although only 11 people it seems have bought one! Not encouraging. I was going to go and buy a Beo 5 remote next week, are they so bad? More information please on what these 'teething' problems are and when would be a good time to buy the remote?

Simon.

Firstly, I feel the beo 5 is a very unique B&O product. The problem is that it has  a hard act to follow as the BEO4 is so good.

The advantages are many for the beo 5 if you have many link rooms and this obviates the need for the 'list button' on BEO4 . I purchased mine for a one room system though.

The principle issue is that the 5 is to clever for its own good- the problem seems to be that having purchased one using the standard configuration from the dealer, you quickly become aware of the shortfalls and what the remote is thoeretically capable of , when i first collected mine I had to press 5 buttons that the beo4 would do in 1! and its then that the problems start. These mainly seem to relate to macro commands and how they are interpreted, in some cases the identical code is given by the 5 as the beo4 and yet it doesnt do the same thing!

All I can say is that if a purchaser is happy with the 5 after standard configuration - that purchaser is very easliy satisfied!!!

For less than this kind of money you can purchase a quality learning remote with a proper workable downloadable  program and technical helpline and customer support -not be expected to pay nearly £500 in some cases and then keep returning it to the dealer network in the hope it might one day perform as one wants. In the end - if you buy one you will definately seek support in a way that B&O is incapable of providing at the present time.

Whilst I can appreciate that B&O wants to keep the software within the dealers it is doing their reputation no good at all- a premium very expensive electronics brand that cant produce a remote that is capable of working properly - even when the dealers have been 'trained'

As things stand I would not buy one unless the dealer can configure it so it works to your satisfaction PRIOR to parting with your money! and thats a poor statement to make for a brand like B&O

• 11-18-2007 10:31 AM In reply to

When I first saw a picture of the Beo5 I didn't like it all. I thought the combination of circle and square looked very silly. But having seen it for real it started to grow on me. I actually wanted one. But reading 355f''s post was quite a shock. I am probably going to wait a while...Hmm

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-18-2007 11:19 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I have aired my grievances here

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-18-2007 2:13 PM In reply to

• obe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 29
    • Bronze Member

i really like the design of the beo (i just imagine a beo5 standing on a rolf benz coffee table).

the beo5 would be a real killer product (for less than 1000€) if i can control 3rd party products like a panasonic hdd recorder now. also, i feel the urgent need of adding new configurations on my own without paying my dealer a visit (and some euros).

further, i like the idea of adding icons of my favourite cds on the beo5 to play these recorded cds on the bs3200 instead of having lists where to find the recorded cds.

regarding my current system adding a link speaker means a bigger plus than adding the beo5.

that's why i am still waiting. i guess there are some left next year...

we'll see 

• 11-18-2007 3:41 PM In reply to

• Mico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-06-2007
    • Finland
    • Posts 136
    • Founder

I have just ordered one and feel confident that my dealer is capable in his job. Hopefully I receive the remote in time to vote!

My plan is to use the Beo 5 instead of Beo 4 to control the BS 3 plus the main room BS6500 via MCL.

• 11-18-2007 4:42 PM In reply to

Software

Dear All:

Has anyone being able to get the software to do the programming themselves?

It seems, from the posts I have read, the dealers are having problems.  I am wondering wether it would worth having one.  I only use the BV 7 for movies and BS 9000.  I have not linked rooms.

Thanks,

Dario
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 11-18-2007 5:23 PM In reply to

Re: Software

About 40% of those replying so far!!
  • 11-18-2007 5:32 PM In reply to

darioazul:
    Dear All:

Has anyone being able to get the software to do the programming themselves?

It seems, from the posts I have read, the dealers are having problems.  I am wondering wether it would worth having one.  I only use the BV 7 for movies and BS 9000.  I have not linked rooms.

Thanks,

Dario

I have the same system Dario. Do you think the Beo 5 is a worthwhile investment for us? I am wanting it more as a new toy to play with really. Of course the Beo 4 is fine, I just fancy a change. How about yourself?

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 11-18-2007 5:44 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

If you want a fun toy - get it. The product itself is good
  • 11-18-2007 8:15 PM In reply to

Dear Simon:

It is more out of 'laziness.'  The BS 9000 & BL 8000 are on the upstairs floor.  I find the using the BS 9000 is much easier with the Beo4.  Downstairs, it would be nice to have another remote for the tele.  

I have not seen the Beo5 but the design looks pleasing.  At least on the B&O video, it looks as though it could be quite useful, specially down the line when I add link rooms.  

It is too bad though that we cannot program it ourselves.  I suspect here in the US the dealers are planning to charge lots and lots of money to program this things. 

What is included in the basic programming?  

Simon have you thought of adding a music server?  I think the Beo5 may come handy with a music server.  Perhaps the alleged BeoSound 5 will be a music server and the actual handheld component will let you select whatever is on the server. 

Dario
  • 11-18-2007 8:24 PM In reply to

Dear Peter:

Have any of the members who are programming the Beo5 made the methods available for the rest of the community?  

I think the rest of us would appreciate a guide to programming the Beo5.

Thanks,

Dario
  • 11-19-2007 2:01 AM In reply to

Dario,

As our poll has shown many members have been given the Beo5 Configuration Tool software by their dealers, but for many, understanding the principles of the tool and adding templates is not something they can do themselves without assistance. We are developing some information pages to help members which will be available in the coming weeks. In the meantime you may wish to contribute your wishes and ideas to the Beo5 Forum.

Regards Keith....

• 11-19-2007 3:38 AM In reply to

I am joining the debate a bit late...

I got my Beo5 recently, and although  I think it is a very nice object, a must have for B&O collector, I am still not too sure it is a better remote.

I spend my time going through screens instead of going through the list button...

The thing I like are macros, especially the channel macros, that allow me to click on the channel name rather than having to remember the channel number. I'll make some more complex macros later.

I also think the Beo5 is better if you own recent B&O (ML) than older B&O (Datalink/MCL), as recent B&O makes more use of diverse buttons, like color buttons, and things like Track, Random... * 

I said it many times on this forum as well, but I am convinced that for our type of crowd, it is essential to obtain the software to fully enjoy the remote. That is why I got my remote so late, it took me more than a month to convince my dealer to give it to me. 

p. 

-----

* By the way, I have not tryed it yet, but by looking at the configuration software, it looks like exotic keys like Random, Track... that have no equivalent on the Beolink 1000 can in fact be reproduced by Shift + a number. I'll investigate further will post about it as I have not seen it mentioned on this site.  

• 11-19-2007 7:02 AM In reply to

• YannChris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Larmor-Plage, France
    • Posts 276
    • Founder

I think I shall wait a long time, as my wallet will remain closed until:

- The software is available for the user and as easy and reliable as the one I used when I had a Pronto,

- Kikinoko devices can be controlled directly from a Beo5 who learned it's remote-control codes (just like my Pronto did).

I'm sorry about it, since I would like  SO MUCH to get this new gadget.

Yann.

Ne pas s'en faire et boire frais!

Mon install en images: cliquez sur mon profil, au dessus de mon avatar - Puis "My files" tout en bas.

Pictures of my setup: click on my nickname, above my avatar. Then "my files" at the bottom of the page.

• 11-19-2007 9:23 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I ordered a Beo5 last saturday, SHMBO will offer me it as a birthday-present (on 12/12) Smile.

As I am using only a STB, which I can control already with my Beo4, I don't think there will be any problems. I mailed my program list to my dealer and I am very confident that he will set it up the right way.

I voted option 1. 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 11-19-2007 9:41 AM In reply to

I voted option 3.

Using lot of times the software for "fine tuning" the Beo5 is a fact, because each configuration is so personal and very difficult to reach the final setup desired, I think the customer must have this essential tool (if he wants, of course).

Mine has already 124 configuration software downloads...

Santiago

• 11-19-2007 10:02 AM In reply to

• BeoET
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-14-2007
    • Scandinavia
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

I've not yet bought the Beo5 - my current thinking is to buy one to the family/house for Xmas…

If one can add macros in the Beo5 to control the DVD Controller (in our case for a Sony RDR-HX1010), then I think it might be worth it. Currently my wife and the kids haven’t learnt the cryptic (poor usability!)  “Go+0”, “Go+Red”, “Go + >” Beo4 combinations needed to control the DVD/HDD drive. N.Music as well will hopefully be easier to control via the Beo5.

Anyone that knows if there are any Beo5 macros for the DVD Controller currently available? Another question: Is it possible to have both a TV list (analogue channels) and a digital (DTV) list of TV channels on the STB on the Beo5? Last question: Is it possible to have a macro in the Beo5 that turns on the TV (BV5) with a given Speaker-setting, for instance?

• 11-19-2007 11:34 AM In reply to

• EOB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 188
    • Bronze Member

Looked at it. Didnt like it from website view. But it fits nicely in my hand. I do like the volume controle disc and the fact you can see icons of tv stations on your display. How ever when I turn it round and look at it I dont like the look of it somehow to mee its not a unity ,....but maybe thats on purpose,...

Main reason for not buying it will be the dealer - configuration part,.....It would suit me much more to be able to configure it myself and if and when in problems the dealer would perform a helpdesk function.

Im not sure about the one way part yet ? .....seems a perfect device for two way communication,.... 

Regards

• 11-19-2007 8:27 PM In reply to

Dear Keith:

Thank you for the info.  Wish list:  Mac compatible.  B&O is very windows friendly; so, I doubt that the software is Mac compatible.  

Dario 

• 11-19-2007 8:28 PM In reply to

Dear Moderator:

Excuse the huge signature.  I have no idea how that happened.

Dario 

• 11-20-2007 10:19 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

I will buy it when I order my next TV (BV9). Feels like an overkill to use it with a LX!

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 11-20-2007 11:33 AM In reply to

I think this is quite a unique situation B&O find themselves in.  Here is my own opinions.

As a product, I think the Beo5 is great.  Sure, the design is 'different', but you wouldn't want to spend that kind of cash for something that wouldn't get noticed, and at least with B&O you can always be sure that the designs are based on some very intensive research to try and find the best possible solution.

Out of the box, even with a basic dealer setup, I think you're going to be very frustrated.  Sure you can work you TV, radio, CD player, DVD player etc., but to me, that adds no benefits over Beo4.  (Just try working Sky+ with the standard Beo5 setup - almost impossible not to get very frustrated and reach for the Beo4.  Exit Live Pause??? - how!!!)

However, for those of us who managed to get the software and learn a little about programming it, the Beo5 takes on a whole new meaning.  Finally you understand that it can do anything you want it to, just find problems you want to solve and use a little imagination.

The software, if you get it, tells you pretty much nothing about how to create macros etc., but I think with some shared information from other BeoWorlders most of us have managed to get a grip on it.

As far as having the dealers set up the remotes, and this really is no disrespect to the dealers themselves, but I can't see that working out too well.  As a customer, we have no idea what we want it to do until we keep using it and finding new ideas.  Surely we're not going to spend every weekend at the dealers trying to explain what we want and waiting while they figure out how to do it, test it etc.  And I really feel sorry for the dealers - let's face it they don't have any excess staff in the stores and if you get 2 or 3 Beo5 customers in - that could be a whole day lost!  The idea was to encourage greater communication with customers by having them keep coming back to the store (or home visits), but if the staff are spending a significant amount of time sat at the PC working on Beo5's, then just think of all the people who walk into the stores for the first time and miss out on that wonderful customer experience because no one had the time to demostrate the product range, they were too busy pacifying Beo5 customers who were back for the 10th time.  That won't help develop the brand.

I appreciate that not everyone will want to fully configure their Beo5, and that is there choice.  But surely a significant share of the people who want to upgrade their remote want to do so because they are passionate about the Beo5's potential capabilities for their own personal setup.

And I am pretty sure that very soon (if not already) we will see Beo5 programming on an hourly rate as technicians and salespeople get increasingly frustrated and demotivated by the time that this relatively low value (in sales & commission terms) takes out of their working life.

The thing that surprised me the most is the lack of quality templates.  CD, Radio and DVD are fine, difficult to see how you could really improve much for the mass audience.  But I bought mine on the back of all the hype that it would make operating products such as BeoMedia (a real key product for me) easier.  I guarantee you that by using the standard template (PC) on Beo5, it is much MUCH easier to operate BeoMedia with a Beo4.  And that Sky+ menu leaves a lot to be desired - in the UK I would imagine that Sky+/Sky HD is the norm for most B&O owners, so I feel that not enough time was spent developing the template.  It seems to miss the features that any Sky+ owner would want, as though it was programmed without ever asking the customer what features they would like to see.

My templates are all great now, but that is thanks to putting several hours of programming into it myself.

So, I think we need to see rapid development of templates to help the dealers give better remote programming to their customers at a much faster and less labour intensive rate than having to customise each one.  And surely the BeoWorld community or the official B&O community could help B&O out here by sending their templates and setups in for review, or posting them for other people to download and use.  (I would do this now but don't know how to!)

And for the really passionate ones amongst us, there must be a fast way of producing some more user friendly software that can be supplied with the remote and used by the customer.  They managed it with BeoPort & BeoPlayer.

Do I like my Beo5 - absolutely, I love it.

Would I recommend you go out and buy one?  Yes, definately.

I'm certainly not being negative about the product, just hoping that the software is priority number one for someone in Denmark, the dealers get more support for dealing with this issue, and the customer doesn't lose out through additional programming charges, frustration and a less than perfect remote setup.

BV7-40MK4BR,7-32,6-22,6-23,6-26,BSnd5,9000,BLab9,3,4000,2,BCom2,6000,Btalk1200,LC2s,Lutron

• 11-21-2007 4:38 AM In reply to

Well, I am really shocked by this all and I suppose that most of the dealers are not happy with this bad working unit. People have to come back to them over and over again to get it working properly.

I don 't understand that B&O did not wait a little longer to launch it when the product and software was really finished. For such a premiumprice it should work much better plain out of the box in my opinion.

Page 1 of 8 (195 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »