in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-23-2011 4:36 PM by kallasr. 132 replies.
Page 5 of 6 (133 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-19-2011 8:06 PM In reply to

Re: Beovision 4 - 65 replica can any one help me.

I think that if it never leaves his lounge room, then power to him. If he pays for something, he can do as he pleases with it.

If it shows up on ebay as a B&O TV, then the wrong thing has been done and fraud has been committed.

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 06-19-2011 8:55 PM In reply to

• hilton
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2010
    • Aus
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

i will never be able to sell it as a fake.

its just a frame !

you look at the back of this thing and you will c a panasonic.

Filed under:
  • 06-19-2011 9:37 PM In reply to

• hilton
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2010
    • Aus
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

also how can you hate the gold .

its looks se*y and its B&O new colour so embrace it.

Gold

Filed under:
  • 06-20-2011 3:21 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

folkdeejay:

For one thing - this is a HOBBYIST forum, for people who like the B&O brand ( in all aspects) ...this is NOT the official B&O website -where such draconian, holier-than-thou declarations would be more understandable - not because of any DK hubris, but because it is the "company line" that would (understandably) take priority.

But this is a fan site.  Lee(and others)  have previously re-coloured speakers and shown the mods here.  There are users here who make their own version of Beotimes, people who make their own version of cables, stands and who will "unoficially" use software to programme remotes.

All of which is fine....because that is what fan's do, and this is a fan site.

Well said 'Folky'. This is my first contribution on this discussion and I have enjoyed the energy it has provoked. It has also exposed some of the less desirable character traits and prejudices of some members which has been most illuminating (to me anyway!).

• 06-20-2011 6:36 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

I always enjoy these type of threads. Some bloke who just wants to throw a bit of aluminium around a screen is subjected to a moral bashing by members of the community who are apparently above all others.

In reality, I (and I'm sure B&O) have better things to worry about than  a chap doing this. There are many organisations on a larges scale producing copies of B&O design and selling them for profit.

• 06-20-2011 8:07 AM In reply to

hilton:

also how can you hate the gold .

its looks se*y and its B&O new colour so embrace it.

I don't hate it, but it wouldn't be my first choice also.

It's just a matter of taste, and I personally don't like it. No offence.

• 06-20-2011 8:55 AM In reply to

• hilton
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2010
    • Aus
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

i have not seen any Gold B&O item up for Auction on ebay yet.

the beolab 8000s look soooo nice in gold.

my pentas and beo 4 did not go as well as i expected.

with my gold kit it look abit bronzie and not the yellow gold that i was after.

i might do a few more layers till it looks solid.

Filed under:
  • 06-20-2011 9:05 AM In reply to

• hilton
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2010
    • Aus
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

this is how i  did my penta's .

just like this guy in the video

Filed under:
  • 06-20-2011 10:29 AM In reply to

I have not closed this thread because there are more comments and because I think it raises a number of thoughts.

I think an owner can do whatsoever he likes to a product he has bought. I confess to being the owner of the Beogram 4001 which is a fake - it is a Beogram 6000 which had been left in a damp cellar and was beyond proper cosmetic repair. It has fooled a number of people! I wouldn't sell it as a 4001 though!

I therefore have no problem with the OP doing whatever he likes with his TV. But to try to obtain a B&O frame by deception is not on and to then sell it as a B&O is also not on. He has assured us that he has no plans so to do as far as the latter is concerned.

I have also changed components in B&O products - I have replaced damaged woofers with new drivers not supplied by B&O. That would make them certainly not as B&O intended Would they be saleable?

• 06-20-2011 11:41 AM In reply to

Peter :

I have not closed this thread because there are more comments and because I think it raises a number of thoughts.

I think an owner can do whatsoever he likes to a product he has bought. I confess to being the owner of the Beogram 4001 which is a fake - it is a Beogram 6000 which had been left in a damp cellar and was beyond proper cosmetic repair. It has fooled a number of people! I wouldn't sell it as a 4001 though!

I therefore have no problem with the OP doing whatever he likes with his TV. But to try to obtain a B&O frame by deception is not on and to then sell it as a B&O is also not on. He has assured us that he has no plans so to do as far as the latter is concerned.

I have also changed components in B&O products - I have replaced damaged woofers with new drivers not supplied by B&O. That would make them certainly not as B&O intended Would they be saleable?

Peter, I'm really surprised that you don't see our point of view on this. Altering a B&O product is one thing. Creating a fake is another. It's absolutely a big bright line and not a grey area. Of course I'd expect people to perform repairs that are outside spec and of course if you have an older piece and can refit it with available cosmetic parts, by all means do so. But the key difference in all the cases you mentioned was that your products were B&O to start with! You didn't outfit an Onkyo into a BeoGram 4002. 

People keep using "modding" as a red herring here when modding is not at all what the discussion is about. If he wants to buy a BeoVision 4 and paint zebra stripes on it he won't hear a peep from me and I doubt he would attract more than a few "whatever makes you happy" type comments, but he's looking to reproduce, as best he can, a gold BeoVision 4. He's backpedalled over the course of the thread, but he has been pretty clear about his intentions. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-20-2011 12:12 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Hey - tell you what!

Let's get the CIA involved - it appears that it almost warrants it...

What a load of old tosh. Grumpy old men. Get real.

• 06-20-2011 12:16 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Peter's point is that it's his to do with as he wishes. 

Wether you agree with it or not, it's not going to leave the confines of his own home - so who is he 'defrauding' ?  If you get a little brush and some black paint and write the 'Gucci' emblem all over your sofa at home, who cares? You bought the sofa, it's yours to do with as you wish, in the comfort and privacy of your own home.  Yes, technically he's ripped off a trademark - so that's the grey area.

Do I like what he's doing to the products? No - they look absolutely hideous, but that's only my opinion. The OP loves it - so fair play to him and his friends who clearly have just as little taste.  However, it's his call to make and i respect that.

The line is only crossed if he tries to sell it on. That's no grey area..

To quote Trip..

Altering a B&O product is one thing. Creating a fake is another.

What the blazes do B&O do when they get the same panel shipped in from Panasonic? Umm.. they slap a B&O frame on it and sell it as B&O. Are Bang & Olufsen guilty of creating fakes?!!  No, of course not - but it's a point to consider.

I (for the record) disagree with bribing a B&O employee to sell him a surround though !!!

I think we're now going in circles here though, so i'm not going to comment any further and suggest we all agree to disagree.. then let this thread fall off.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-20-2011 12:21 PM In reply to

We are of one mind - that trip to Struer has a lot to answer for!

• 06-20-2011 12:43 PM In reply to

Kokomo:

folkdeejay:

For one thing - this is a HOBBYIST forum, for people who like the B&O brand ( in all aspects) ...this is NOT the official B&O website -where such draconian, holier-than-thou declarations would be more understandable - not because of any DK hubris, but because it is the "company line" that would (understandably) take priority.

But this is a fan site.  Lee(and others)  have previously re-coloured speakers and shown the mods here.  There are users here who make their own version of Beotimes, people who make their own version of cables, stands and who will "unoficially" use software to programme remotes.

All of which is fine....because that is what fan's do, and this is a fan site.

Well said 'Folky'. This is my first contribution on this discussion and I have enjoyed the energy it has provoked. It has also exposed some of the less desirable character traits and prejudices of some members which has been most illuminating (to me anyway!).

This thread made me really laugh...
    I really do not see what the big deal is.

This site is FULL of mods !!!  From enthousiast changing colors, speaker covers, tweaking the electronics, even to changing the typical polished metal decorative plates with new (non B&O) ones..
    Does it really make any of it less Bang&Olufsen ??

At least he's buying the frame from B&O and hasn't resorted to something sub standard made by 3rd party with a B&O logo on it!!! 

Comme on guys, give it a rest already.  Myself, I'm looking forward to see the end result !!!

• 06-20-2011 1:15 PM In reply to

At least we've got trip to remind us peasants ( ie his customers ) where we are in the scheme of things. Nice to feel wanted.

Personally the only problem I have with bno is the whole retail experience , I'd much rather buy it off the net like I do all my mac stuff. It's easy to set up and the only problem is getting it up the stairs.

The attitude of some sales staff beggars belief.

• 06-20-2011 2:27 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Absolutely right.

• 06-20-2011 2:30 PM In reply to

I have an authentic G7 BeoVision 4 screen and have wondered just how much B&O there truly is in that Panasonic-produced screen. The screen's internal IR sensor (hidden behind that brushed aluminum panel) does not react to a Beo4. Rather it reacts only to a Panasonic remote, which is necessary to access the screen's menu. The menu shows no reference to B&O or any B&O features. Rather, it brings up features that are nowhere mentioned in the B&O manuals. The input connection modules (sometimes referred to as "blades") are found by googling "Panasonic G7." I wonder if I would know the difference if the screen was replaced with another similar commercial screen by Panasonic and then adorned with the B&O frame. For that matter, would I perhaps even notice an improvement with a later generation screen directly from Panasonic? Rhetorical questions only. Just a feeling that the BeoVision 4 screen is perhaps not much more than a Panasonic screen with a B&O frame stuck on it and with a huge markup.

• 06-20-2011 2:57 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

beojeff:
    Just a feeling that the BeoVision 4 screen is perhaps not much more than a Panasonic screen with a B&O frame stuck on it and with a huge markup.

Now that would be morally questionable!Whistle

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-20-2011 5:04 PM In reply to

There are several products with a B&O logo on it that have not even been produced or designed (except for the outside in some cases) by Bang & Olufsen. So these must all be fakes.......Surprise

• 06-20-2011 5:21 PM In reply to

• hilton
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2010
    • Aus
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

!

that IR behide the frame....Angry

ill have to move it to the top right so i can use the panasonic remote on the plasma.

is there a flat IR sender and receiver on the market.

so i can put the IR receiver on the top right glass bubble  and the sender behide the frame.

the Beosystem 2 dose not turn my plasma off or on.

unless there is an update software for the panasonic to get it working with  the beosystem.

Filed under:
  • 06-20-2011 5:31 PM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

beojeff:
    Just a feeling that the BeoVision 4 screen is perhaps not much more than a Panasonic screen with a B&O frame stuck on it and with a huge markup.

Now that would be morally questionable!Whistle

Kinda my feeling as well. B&O should just sell the frame piece for the cost of their BV4 minus the cost of a panasonic plasma. Then they wouldn't have this issue. LOL

I have BV4  50 at home that I bought from the dealer... I love it.... but I am a slave to fashion. 

• 06-20-2011 8:04 PM In reply to

My DVD1 has a massive 'Philips' logo on the screen when there's no disc!!! LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 06-20-2011 9:08 PM In reply to

In fairness, the later BV4 has the unique B&O set up technology.

However, the earlier versions of BV4 were just as some have described, and really not too far from what the OP wanted to do - a Bsys 2 and early B&O BV4 would be almost identical to a bsys 2 and a panasonic panel.

What Trip perceived as my defense of the OP ( which it wasn't really - it was more a reaction to the overly sensitive/critical response from some current dealers, which I feared would sound pompous and overbearing if it continued.....and it did,imo )  was really informed by the fact that I have pulled several BV4's apart over the years, and was retailing these in the UK at the time owners of the pre-HD versions startd to get SKY HD, then ring for the suitable cable/PUC update Sad

I don't condone fakes being sold....but I can see what / why the OP was up to, as he owns a bsys 2 - which IS the B&O bit of an early BV4 set up.

To answer some IR questions, depending on the installation, the IR signal on the panel works from behind/below at the bottom l/h corner...the B&O supplied "service" remote ( which is....yes....a panasonic) is somtimes needed to get to the screen menu's, and works if held behind the panel - your type of wall mount may impact on this.  However, and Ir repeater could be put at the rear, and not need sight of the front sensor, which is flush behind "that" frame.

• 06-21-2011 10:43 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:

I have an authentic G7 BeoVision 4 screen and have wondered just how much B&O there truly is in that Panasonic-produced screen. The screen's internal IR sensor (hidden behind that brushed aluminum panel) does not react to a Beo4. Rather it reacts only to a Panasonic remote, which is necessary to access the screen's menu. The menu shows no reference to B&O or any B&O features. Rather, it brings up features that are nowhere mentioned in the B&O manuals. The input connection modules (sometimes referred to as "blades") are found by googling "Panasonic G7." I wonder if I would know the difference if the screen was replaced with another similar commercial screen by Panasonic and then adorned with the B&O frame. For that matter, would I perhaps even notice an improvement with a later generation screen directly from Panasonic? Rhetorical questions only. Just a feeling that the BeoVision 4 screen is perhaps not much more than a Panasonic screen with a B&O frame stuck on it and with a huge markup.

The answer apart from a few software changes is- its a panasonic screen with a contrast screen in front of it- even the service menu is the same ( accessed by the panasonic- not B&O remote)

And  the issue is , at a time when the panasonic screens have fallen  at an alarming rate over the past 3 years ,so that one can obtain the latest 50" panel at £1400  trade the 'B&O ' rebage has risen by the amount the panasonic has fallen! leaving an unrealistic bias.

Even the barking millionaire - to which B&O now aspires ( if he knows anything about it) will not be best pleased to pay this B&O tax.

The best thing they can do is to 'get real' about screen pricing policy, when my screen is up for an update- I will be taking the surround off my present one and  instal the newer, far superior panasonic panel.  I will not attempt or desire to sell my 'fraudulent' B&O but really , until the company and its dealers get in the real world I would not blame anyone for doing it.  s As for the b&O set up technology, if the quality of plasma pantones changed so much, hence requiring this technology I rather suggest it would be defunct as a product by now!

• 06-21-2011 11:20 AM In reply to

• hilton
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2010
    • Aus
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Mate .

Very well said.

B&O plasma prices are just over the top.

like for the price of one 50" BV4 with beosystem 3 you can buy 30x samsung 50 3D full hd plasma's .

like yes i can understand the craftmanship but come on man $35,000 for a 50"thats always a little behide todays tech.

B&O highest selling product right now is the beosound 8.

because the price of the unit is just right and sound great.

for the price you can buy the beosound 8 you can get around 3 to 4 avg ipod docks.

but i think thats fine just as long as its not 30x more.

like who will buy it?

Page 5 of 6 (133 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >