in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-14-2010 1:18 PM by Clakke. 116 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (117 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2010 3:59 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: IS B&O worth the money???

TripEnglish:

I think it depends a lot on what you value personally. The existence of the BeoLab 3 makes life difficult for the BeoLab 6000, but we still sell plenty of them. The sound is terrific and the look is timeless. Say what you will, but you'd be hard pressed to find an unhappy 6000 or 8000 owner!

I'm sure I've already chimed in on this thread (it looks like it's a necro-post situation), but it's really a bit ridiculous to talk about a product being "worth the money" in a definitive way. Some have stated repeatedly that it isn't while others couldn't imagine anything else. As the saying goes, these threads throw off more heat than light.

What I value is common sense, the price (in the UK) for the 8000's increased by 30% between 2006 & 2009 (£2300 - £2995). It's just not good enough, they're taking the mick!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-13-2010 4:26 AM In reply to

Puncher:

What I value is common sense, the price (in the UK) for the 8000's increased by 30% between 2006 & 2009 (£2300 - £2995). It's just not good enough, they're taking the mick!

While at the same time, EUR-GBP exchange rate went from 0.69 (01/2006) to 0.92 (01/2009) = 36.5% change meaning they actually get less per sale at the latter price. UK is an important market for B&O, but I'm sure they can't go over their head subsidising purchases over there!

(didn't bother looking for GBP-DKK rates, as DKK is allowed to fluctuate very little in relation to the euro)

-mika

• 05-13-2010 4:38 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Ok - fair enough, but from a UK only perspective then, as we're talking value for money, the price still increased by 30% making them a very difficult purchase indeed!

• 05-13-2010 5:28 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

Ok - fair enough, but from a UK only perspective then, as we're talking value for money, the price still increased by 30% making them a very difficult purchase indeed!

Will be even more expensive next year when vat goes up to 20% ,also B&O becoming very greedy tooSuper Angry

• 05-13-2010 6:24 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

TripEnglish:

I think it depends a lot on what you value personally. The existence of the BeoLab 3 makes life difficult for the BeoLab 6000, but we still sell plenty of them. The sound is terrific and the look is timeless. Say what you will, but you'd be hard pressed to find an unhappy 6000 or 8000 owner!

I'm sure I've already chimed in on this thread (it looks like it's a necro-post situation), but it's really a bit ridiculous to talk about a product being "worth the money" in a definitive way. Some have stated repeatedly that it isn't while others couldn't imagine anything else. As the saying goes, these threads throw off more heat than light.

Hi

Puncher:

The BL8000 is the top of the line in our home, OK the BL3 is almost as good. I just looked at the price tag for BL8000 and I can only say that the price level is at or probably over the line for what I would call worth the price. It is still a beautiful piece. However, at this level, if I should buy it again, I probably would feel that I only pay for the design (the old prejudice concerning B&O becomes true in my case).

Concerning the BL4000, 6000, I would much like to read a review about them in a HiFi magazine. I know what I think, but it would be interesting to hear something from "the outside". If anybody have a link to a review, it would be appreciated.

TripEnglish:

I think as long as you make sure you express your own opinion, threads like this is most amusing and interesting. I can not say that I have read through the whole thread, but it would be interesting if you would like to share your own opinion about the BL4000, 6000. We all know that dealers have sold them for many years, but what is your personal opinion?

Have a nice day

Clakke

• 05-13-2010 6:47 AM In reply to

BTW a pair of BL8000s cost 3,995€ in Finland at the current 22% (soon to be 23%) VAT, which is pretty much exactly £3400 at current rates.

Apparently they still sell to support three shops in Helsinki alone, two of them less than hundred meters apart!

-mika

• 05-13-2010 8:27 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

tournedos:

BTW a pair of BL8000s cost 3,995€ in Finland at the current 22% (soon to be 23%) VAT, which is pretty much exactly £3400 at current rates.

Apparently they still sell to support three shops in Helsinki alone, two of them less than hundred meters apart!

How much are they in the US?

• 05-13-2010 2:18 PM In reply to

Lets not forget B&O is not mass produced how can they possibly complete with the mass market each uk shop sells about 2 plasma a year its only a tiny production run each year

Your also paying for the fab build quality and casework all revered high end manufacturers charge big bucks for there speakers you paying for the cabinet finish electronics are fairly cheap

B&O products are fab

• 05-13-2010 8:18 PM In reply to

roconn:
     Just as an update to anyone who may be interested... I bought the Beo10 Wink

Both myself and wife are very happy with the looks, but one thing I probably would have taken into consideration more when we bought it... THE GODDAM REMOTE CONTROL!!!

We opted for the standard remote because the upgraded version needed complete programming! It works for the most part, but it is truely a pain in the *** when you want to fast forward and it never seems to sense when you want to select something! the double/single clicking confusion annoys me constantly! 

We have both the Beo4 and Beo5. Funny enough my wife like the Beo4 more whilst I have always problems with it, so i use the Beo5 nearly all te time. Which one do you use?

roconn:
    I have noticed clouding on the screen... it only occurs at night when the screen is completely black and it CAN be quite annoying! I am currently contemplating whether I do anything about it... Have lived with it for a while, but I don't watch a huge amount of movies since I bought the TV.

I have the same issue. According to the dealer it has to do with the heath dissipation not working good. For the 46" they seems to have added metal plates to the back of the screen, removing the issue completely (as he says). However there seems no solution for the 40" yetConfused. As a consequence I am considering to spend another 2K and upgrade to the 46". 

Although this is already sad enough, the complete lack of reaction on the side of B&O is even more annoying. The dealer is quite supportive, but you expect the vendor to act accordingly as well. It makes you sometime wonder whether they are entitled to have you as a customer Hmm

• 05-13-2010 8:37 PM In reply to

According to another thread, the clouding issues eliminated on the 46" are explained as being due to a different LED backlight system: lighting from two sides of the screen only instead of all four. No one mentioned anything about cooling. Maybe both your dealer and the other posters are correct, and it's a combination of the two enhancements which solved the problem?

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 05-13-2010 10:56 PM In reply to

Clakke:

TripEnglish:

I think as long as you make sure you express your own opinion, threads like this is most amusing and interesting. I can not say that I have read through the whole thread, but it would be interesting if you would like to share your own opinion about the BL4000, 6000. We all know that dealers have sold them for many years, but what is your personal opinion?

Have a nice day

Clakke

I think my opinion carries significantly less weight because I'm a (gasp!) DEALER!!! So most of what I say is designed to obfuscate the truth and trick people into buying things!

I say buy what you like. Don't overvalue the money in your pocket versus what it can do for you. You can't take it with you.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-13-2010 11:52 PM In reply to

And as far as value for the money, don't forget 2nd hand items too.  I have purchased all of my B&O pre-loved.  I got my first set of BL6000 for $1500 USD (like-new) and my second set for $750 in great shape too.  I think for that money they sound fantastic!

• 05-14-2010 12:05 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Puncher:

tournedos:

How much are they in the US?

Last year I saw the tag at the $5,500-$5,700 mark.  (£3763-£3900)

Evan

• 05-14-2010 4:07 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

This topic is interesting, since I guess most of us has spent a lot of money B&O equipment, but basically its not about the money..

To connect to Kokomos post, about cars, I drive an Alfa 166 since some years now, and I never had a car for this long, and as Jeremy Clarkson said in his test on the show "Top Gear".

" If you don't judge the car from what it does, but from how it makes you feel, this is the car for you" 

I think thats basically the same with B&O, its not about the specs, its about the feeling..that puts a smile on your face when you pick up the remote and turn it on..or like with cars, when you drive that extra mile just to enjoy the feeling.

And from an financial viewpoint, I never feel I have to get a new TV or car every year, it saves money in the end.. ;-)

/P

• 05-14-2010 9:53 AM In reply to

Nice. Cool My daily driver has been an Alfa 164 since 2001. The car itself is 19 years old. A new V6 Camry can outrun and probably even outhandle the 164, but as you said, the feeling is what counts.

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 05-14-2010 10:44 AM In reply to

Clakke:
    The prices in Sweden seems to have "run away".

How are prices on Primare over there.. do you know??

• 05-14-2010 1:18 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

I think my opinion carries significantly less weight because I'm a (gasp!) DEALER!!! So most of what I say is designed to obfuscate the truth and trick people into buying things!

I say buy what you like. Don't overvalue the money in your pocket versus what it can do for you. You can't take it with you.

Hi

TripEnglish:

I know you are a dealer. That is why I think you probably could lite up the situation a bit about what stuff is worth the price (your own opinion of course). I think most dealers I have met are very reliable concerning this. Do not worry, if you claim that something in the B&O model park stinks, I will not tell anybodyBig Smile. It is always OK to have an opinion.

Ilikehifi:

I do not know about Primare so much (I do not buy HiFi that much). From what I heard it is a solid brand. I have found you a link with swedish prices. I have no idea if they are good or bad. Swedish money usually is about 1/10 of a Euro, so I can see that it is definitely not a cheap brand.

http://www.ljudupplevelser.se/default.aspx?main=ListProducts.aspx&cat=159

Use this friday evening good

Clakke

Page 5 of 5 (117 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5