in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-10-2008 6:53 AM by captain. 183 replies.
Page 3 of 8 (184 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2007 2:45 PM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 6 first picture and details

To be fair, none of us have actually seen this product or handled it, and the correlation with the Samsung is just speculation (but they do look as if separated at birth!) and the B&O one could have a number of extra features. Remember that you have to add £100 for the earphones (the Samsung ones are apparently rubbish) and for the leather case. The casing does look neater and will probably be anodised so the figures do start to add up.

Sticking to my iPod personally! 

• 06-03-2007 3:12 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Two years ago, a 2gb nano was thought to be big and now, 80 gb is quite normal.
    If this is Beosound 6 and it is just 4 gb then what market are they going for?
    Nano buyers wont be able to afford it, and those that can will go out and buy an 80gb ipod!
    If, as Peter suggests might be the case, that B&O are testing the water, then for Pete's sake I hope they listen to us!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-03-2007 3:20 PM In reply to

I just really don't like its design. I wouldn't buy the B&O that I have if it just looked like a Bose. This design of the BeoSound 6 isn't bad, but nothing new and most certainly not something I was expecting from B&O.

As Andy has just said I can't exactly see who would want one of these, especially with what we think it has to offer technically.

• 06-03-2007 3:55 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

After seeing that its virtually identical to the samsung, I'm now rather disappointed. Looks like they have put no effort at all to conceal the likeness to the samsung which leads me to think that they are testing to see peoples reaction. BS2 was so unique and BS6 is certainately NOT!

Durban South Africa

• 06-03-2007 4:21 PM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

jandyt, you're talking about the 2GB nano and the 80GB ipod as though the latter was the evolution of the former. It's not. The latest nano is 8GB. It's the full-sized, hard disc based ipod that's 80GB. They are two separate product lines.

The Beosound 6 will be a competitor for the 8GB nano, not the 80GB ipod. That doesn't mean to say that people will want it, of course, but we should compare like with like.

I could have gone for an 80GB ipod the last time I upgraded, but chose to go for a nano because it was flash-based and it was smaller. There's no reason why the same decision won't be made by a potential purchaser of the BS6, especially if the sound quality turns out to be superior, something which I hear the BS2 was famed for.

• 06-03-2007 4:33 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

I dont think B&O is trying to compete with anyone... specially the ipod.  

They are just offering the B&O solution for a mp3 player. Some people wil buy it and some wont. Just like a  BV4. Its just another alternative to your average plasma but of course just more expensive. 
    -Alex
  • 06-03-2007 5:04 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

eduard:
    Henry:

Ignace, where did you find this image of BeoSound 6?

Ignace and I received the same picture from lets say……………. a beobird………. It has a logo on fhis back and speaks Danish...... Its fly's all over the world... It has a internet connection and a laptop..(LOL)

One thing we will never do, and that is say where we get our information from…….that would be not nice if we mention here/his name. 

good to see you have better resources than we do! The picture looks like it will be found at the mediacenter sometime... Wink

I hope your bird will keep flying around and sending you mails!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 06-03-2007 6:32 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Sorry Jonathan. I wasn't aware the nano was available in 8 gb. So far I don't own either.
    How much does a 8 gb Nano retail for in UK?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-04-2007 2:47 AM In reply to

I'm not going to comment on the BS6 just yet.
    However, I thought the MTBF (mean time before failure) on the iPod was something like 5,000hrs (Thats less than 2 years of extended playtime) and that im most cases, designed to fail just after the statutory 12 month warrenty runs out.
    dont know about the nano but it does seem a more appropriate comparison
    10%
  • 06-04-2007 3:09 AM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

Andy the 8GB nano is £169 so already the Beosound 6 would be trailing Apple in terms of storage space. However, the best selling nano currently is the £129 4GB version. On the face of it, Apple have already lost but, as Alex points out, B&O aren't necessarily competing with anyone. This is just their entry into this sector of the market.

I think it's a nice looking product and if the sound quality is superior to the ipod then it may find a niche. The other main selling point of the ipod, of course, is its integration with itunes. Will B&O make it compatible with iTunes? That would be a good move in my opinion.

I'd take a look at one if it weren't for the fact that later in the year I'll be replacing my nano with an iphone.

• 06-04-2007 3:12 AM In reply to

jandyt:

Sorry Jonathan. I wasn't aware the nano was available in 8 gb. So far I don't own either.
    How much does a 8 gb Nano retail for in UK?

Andy T.

The 8GB Nano is about £140.

• 06-04-2007 3:35 AM In reply to

Ignace:

Hi all,

This is the new BeoSound 6

more details / specifications will follow soon...

Smile

BeoSound 6 

It comes with 4 Gb of memory,
    includes Earphones and a leather case.
    It will be launched later this summer.

Ignace, where did you find this picture? 

I'm very sure that this is a fake. This is based on the hand in the picture. B&O would never use a hand i such condition. The nails, skin etc.

If I'm wrong and this is REAL it would be a big disappointment to regarding the B&O brand. 

/Ola
  • 06-04-2007 4:03 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

It has to be a very good fake. But it obvious that we're talking about the real mp3 player and the picture comes from an insider person.

• 06-04-2007 4:10 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

While the "tablet" styling is certainly less than extraordinary (while the projected price certainly is) I think that ultimately it will be the control interface that makes or breaks this unit. There will be those that buy it purely because it is B&O and others because (hopefully) the D/A is higher quality than Apple's offerings but I worry that the interface will be significantly inferior. This is purely a guess but, from every group test I've ever read, and from the review of the Samsung unit in Peter's link, it seems this type of "cursor" navigation system always falls (way) short of the clickwheel system. This will be very disappointing as "Ease of Use and Integration" are one of B&O's selling points.

If it can't match Apples ease of use it just becomes yet another (very expensive) mp3 player.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-04-2007 4:46 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

It could be a fake. It's definitely a possibility

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-04-2007 5:09 AM In reply to

Alex:
    I dont think B&O is trying to compete with anyone... specially the ipod.  

They are just offering the B&O solution for a mp3 player. Some people wil buy it and some wont. Just like a  BV4. Its just another alternative to your average plasma but of course just more expensive. 

I agree with this - its a void they have in the market and this to the average B&O customer will be an acceptable alternative to the ipod.

Another angle on this would be is that how many people have actually replaced thier BS2 vs say an ipod? what B&O "should" give is a reliable mp3 player which will not break down and will not be outdated in 12 months like the ipod.

Simple yet effective and will satisfy many a B&O customer.

I dont think the sales from this will make or break B&O, so its just something else to add to the portfolio even if its a rebadged sammy.

• 06-04-2007 5:18 AM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

B&Ola:

I'm very sure that this is a fake. This is based on the hand in the picture. B&O would never use a hand i such condition. The nails, skin etc.

If I'm wrong and this is REAL it would be a big disappointment to regarding the B&O brand. 

/Ola

Maybe their hand model was on vacation? Stick out tongue Besides, it wouldn't be the first time to see hands on a B&O picture :

Philippe

• 06-04-2007 5:20 AM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

Henry:

The current price is £169. Do you have a friend at Apple that can get you a discount Henry? If so, I'll have one of the new Macbook Pros to be announced this week Wink

• 06-04-2007 5:22 AM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

Perhaps this picture  wasn't meant to be distributed as marketing material, hence the manky hands
  • 06-04-2007 5:33 AM In reply to

Didnt know they were chilli pepper fans!

I think its as real as the images of the beo5...... maybe some subtle tweaks will be made to the final version? 

• 06-04-2007 6:41 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

jonnyb:
    Perhaps this picture  wasn't meant to be distributed as marketing material, hence the manky hands

That's exactly what i was thinking.
    Some kind of "test-snapshot" from the marketing-department
    to get an impression of the press-documentation.

I've edited the image and removed the hand with the dirty fingernails Smile

edited BeoSound 6 image

• 06-04-2007 7:13 AM In reply to

jonnyb:
    Henry:

The current price is £169. Do you have a friend at Apple that can get you a discount Henry? If so, I'll have one of the new Macbook Pros to be announced this week Wink

No I don't know anybody ConfusedSmile

If I remember correctly, the first images I saw of the BS2 before its release were slightly different from the final product. However, this was only with regard to its design and the differences were nothing very noticable. For that reason I personally do think the image that Ignace has kindly shared with us is a pretty accurate image of the real thing. It's release is apparently very soon now, so I'd be very suprised if we saw any drastic changes with its design.

• 06-04-2007 8:09 AM In reply to

Isn't it strange that B&O do such a "simple" design work by putting a steel case around an, almost, outdated Samsung mp3 player? 

We all know that there is a strong cooperation between the two companies and two good results by this are the Serene phone and the Samsung bluetooth headset WEP-420. In both cases they helped each other with what they do best in this type of products; B&O do design and Samsung tech. 

With this in mind, would it not be strange if B&O made a design so close to the Samsung Z5?
    As another said earlier: feels like history repeating itself from the 80's.

Another question, why don't they base the player on the successor K3 or the T9 with wireless bluetooth headset?
  • 06-04-2007 8:33 AM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

We are making the assumption that this is a Samsung collaboration based on its resemblance to the Samsung player. However, B&O didn't need to collaborate with anyone for the BS2, the outstanding feature of which was its exemplary sound quality. I worry that if B&O have simply re-badged someone else's player, it won't sound that great. I hope B&O's audio R&D dept have had some input into the player's design.
  • 06-04-2007 8:35 AM In reply to

jonnyb:
    I hope B&O's audio R&D dept have had some input into the player's design.

Does it look like it?!

Page 3 of 8 (184 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »