in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-14-2008 2:33 PM by soundproof. 270 replies.
Page 10 of 11 (271 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-12-2008 6:38 AM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 5 Photos

Hi Baulu,

Can you confirm the screen looks similar as the Mermaid monitors?

http://www.mermaid.dk/images/files/Ventura%20Video%20models.pdf

@moderator: please link.

The link takes some time to load. It's a manual of the Mermaid Ventura monitor (like the one I have).

Baolu:

Sorry!

Now it works. Beosound 5:

• 10-12-2008 6:51 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

mason:

Hi everyone.

Am I missing something here? Will the BS5 offer a better user experience than running iTunes off my Mac laptop through the aux of my beocentre 2? Will the interface be better than iTunes? I am confused. Is the idea that I get a similar experience but with the B&O badge? This is not meant to be negattive – I am excited about it – I just want to know what the differentiator is? 

The answer to the first three questions is yes. iTunes is merely a list of music. The genius function doesn't really work very well, CoverFlow doesn't work very well once you get past a hundred or so CDs, and album view is still pretty boring. Plus it's all still controlled by moving a mouse around etc... which is just plain dull.

On top of that, it'll sound a lot better than your laptop.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-12-2008 8:01 AM In reply to

If the rings are moveable I would think the base reallly needs to be super heavy, or maybe they have a little motor that assists. Thing is, you wont be able to reach it comfortably, at least I don't see it. It doesnt "invite" you to touch it, similiar to what the wheels on the phones do. also, 

The silver ring on top could be similiar to the BC2, but for navigation through 100 of CDs I don't see it working either. It's a bit too rough since you really have to push onto it to activate the function, the clickwheel in the B&O phone is much more sensible. Unless they improved that aluminium concept ..... 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-12-2008 8:04 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It's not like the BeoCenter 2. I think most of you will be surprised how it works...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-12-2008 8:07 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

It think it a real wheel. Because you can see the edge of the wheel its open. The BC2 is a sensor wheel. And why does the screen appears blue ? One Color display ??? :-)
  • 10-12-2008 8:45 AM In reply to

• SecretSheep
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2008
    • In the field outside 'The Farm' - Struer
    • Posts 56
    • Bronze Member

Since this is no longer a secret!

They think we're just eating grass....
  • 10-12-2008 8:51 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

Haha :-) sheeps, your're to slow !  we had the first images weeks ago ! Look at page 2. Slow sheeps.
  • 10-12-2008 9:07 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I don't like it. What stops it falling over? Wont it be a huge dust trap? I don't get it. I hope its because I've not seen it for real.

• 10-12-2008 9:11 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The foot is very heavy.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-12-2008 9:13 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

The foot is very heavy.

No,it isnt, its built in antigravity :-) 

• 10-12-2008 9:21 AM In reply to

What stops it from falling over is a tremendous weight on the foot. This is solid as a rock, even with the screen suspended to the left. It's difficult to pick up, not because the weight is actually that heavy, but because you don't expect it to be that heavy. Think about the base of a BeoLab 8000 for reference. 

And does it provide an advantage over iTunes? I think it does. To get all analytical, iTunes is not a machine, but a program that runs on a computer. It exists among plenty of other distractions outside itself and more and more within itself. It's so focused on the management of music, that it neglects to foster the discovery and enjoyment of music. Genius was a nod in this direction, but does not operate the way the BeoSound 5 does. It examines listening and buying patterns. Amazon's been "dazzling"us with this for years. MOTS is truly surprising (though awkwardly named) in that music comes down the axis that I truly would not have chosen myself, but which fits perfectly with the characteristics of the song I initially chose. Long story short, it's a focused and rewarding experience, rather than an increasingly cluttered desktop.

On the whole, though, the analogies are frankly getting a little "Onkyo Receiver" for my taste. If we're to be believed, we're the gentlemen who spent $4-5k on a six disc changer when there were chintzy tray loading models available for $150. Let's not all of the sudden try to hold the mundane on a pedestal. If you care for a more conventional and reasonably priced solution, there is (as there has been for decades now) a host of other options to avail yourselves of. For my taste, this represents the maturation of digital media and its readiness for me to include it in my home system without treading into the territory of Hobbyist.  

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-12-2008 9:33 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

And does it provide an advantage over iTunes? I think it does. To get all analytical, iTunes is not a machine, but a program that runs on a computer. 

Not when used with an iPod Touch or iPhone with the free Remote application. Apple takes digital music management to a far superior level. 

• 10-12-2008 11:04 AM In reply to

• shl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-18-2008
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

I totally agree with Bri. That said, I think this kind of product from b&o is more for the segment of users that did not fully take the step over to the digital age yet. For the rest of us, with fully digital solutions connected to b&o speakers, it does not really revolutionize anything.
  • 10-12-2008 11:20 AM In reply to

• misled
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 66
    • Bronze Member

hello guys

b&o comes with a new remote with coverflows (he have 3 different model in test)!!!!! the beosound 5 is the basis of a new product generation!!!!

BVision10-46,BLab11,BSound5,BMaster5,BLab8000,BLab6000,BLab2500,BCom5,BCom6000,BeoTime,BeoPort,Beo4,Beo5

• 10-12-2008 11:23 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

Tomaz:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

misled:

b&o comes with a new remote with coverflows (he have 3 different model in test)!!!!! the beosound 5 is the basis of a new product generation!!!!

Hmm Hmm

• 10-12-2008 11:41 AM In reply to

Alex:

It's not like the BeoCenter 2. I think most of you will be surprised how it works...

Are the 3 wheels moving? Can it be separated from its base? How is it connected to the BM5? Are the speakers connected to the BM5, the TV, the BS5? Can you have one BM5 and several BS5 in link rooms? If yes, can it stream a different song in each link room? How does it work with a remote? Can you have a BS9000 or BC2 AND a BS5 in the same room? Can it record CDs from a "traditional" Beosound? Can you control other sources from the BS5, like TV, video, CD? Any wireless technologies, CAT6 involved? God I am getting excited now!

p. 

• 10-12-2008 11:50 AM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

It´s a click wheel as we know it from the phones.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 10-12-2008 11:54 AM In reply to

Two wheels move and there is a toggle between to move the "spotlight." It is connected to the BM5 with power, DVI, & data (like a BeoVision 4). It does not separate from the base. At launch it will be a single head unit solution. For now it works just like any other BeoSound with a remote. You can use it side by side, but it's really designed to transition completely away from a traditional BeoSound. No, it does not record from other players, it uses an "editing PC" just like BeoMedia. As for video, well, you saw the specs. The BeoMaster 5 will ship inside the BeoVision 9 fairly soon and will be very different from the interaction with the BeoSound 5.  

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-12-2008 11:56 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

What stops it from falling over is a tremendous weight on the foot. This is solid as a rock, even with the screen suspended to the left. It's difficult to pick up, not because the weight is actually that heavy, but because you don't expect it to be that heavy. Think about the base of a BeoLab 8000 for reference. 

And does it provide an advantage over iTunes? I think it does. To get all analytical, iTunes is not a machine, but a program that runs on a computer. It exists among plenty of other distractions outside itself and more and more within itself. It's so focused on the management of music, that it neglects to foster the discovery and enjoyment of music. Genius was a nod in this direction, but does not operate the way the BeoSound 5 does. It examines listening and buying patterns. Amazon's been "dazzling"us with this for years. MOTS is truly surprising (though awkwardly named) in that music comes down the axis that I truly would not have chosen myself, but which fits perfectly with the characteristics of the song I initially chose. Long story short, it's a focused and rewarding experience, rather than an increasingly cluttered desktop.

On the whole, though, the analogies are frankly getting a little "Onkyo Receiver" for my taste. If we're to be believed, we're the gentlemen who spent $4-5k on a six disc changer when there were chintzy tray loading models available for $150. Let's not all of the sudden try to hold the mundane on a pedestal. If you care for a more conventional and reasonably priced solution, there is (as there has been for decades now) a host of other options to avail yourselves of. For my taste, this represents the maturation of digital media and its readiness for me to include it in my home system without treading into the territory of Hobbyist.  

I hope this product has a longer "life" time then beomedia I

• 10-12-2008 11:57 AM In reply to

Not long to the release so all questions will be answered then. Trip is correct about the software - far cleverer than the Apple Genius which simply compares record collections! The B&O system is far more advanced. But to really understand why, you need to see it in action!

The remotes are also in development to back up the system. I think the the BS5 will become to foundation of the new range of B&O systems designed for the computer generation. Looking forward to it!

• 10-12-2008 12:03 PM In reply to

Have you play with it already peter?
  • 10-12-2008 12:28 PM In reply to

misled:

Hello again Misled !

This is the very first time I read from a beoworlder a real new info/scoop about the future BS5+BM5 system... a brand new two way remote for the BS5 !!!!!! Party!!!

and Peter confirms the info:

Peter:
    The remotes are also in development to back up the system. I think the the BS5 will become to foundation of the new range of B&O systems designed for the computer generation.

BS5 cannot be detached from the base and BM5, but now never mind where the BS5 panel will stand at home, because with this new remote concept, finally we could have a real 2-way full remote control for computer music... thanks to listen us  B&O! Yes -  thumbs up

Santiago

• 10-12-2008 12:45 PM In reply to

Very very interesting.... I think the dimensions clearly play an important part of the design and I have to say.... I am impressed and dare I say excited!

That said, the screen does look odd.... more photos are needed aswell as a "play"..

• 10-12-2008 12:48 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Don't tell me it was a failure to buy the Beo 5 now!? Hope they'll support the Beo 5 with future updates and functions (3rd party support ...)

• 10-12-2008 11:25 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

koning:

I hope this product has a longer "life" time then beomedia I

I think this is an odd variation on a longstanding B&O theme.  When new product categories arrive B&O tend to go through 3 stages.  Let us take CD changers as an example:

1) the 'Me too!" stage.  They buy a solution from someone else (Sony Car Audio in this case), wrap it in something with a B&O logo, and go from there.  Voila!  The CMM-10

2) the 'control third party products' stage.  Out comes the CMM-5 which is a really ugly box with little tiny DIP switches, which allowed an audio master to control a wide array of CD changers from a lot of companies.

3)  The way it 'should have been done' to begin with stage.  The BeoSound 9000 needs neither introduction, nor defense.

There are other examples, of course.  Here in the US we saw the AV-7000 as a rather seriously hobbled attempt, despite excellent sound.  But even then, one could see the beginnings of the current PUC component of the BeoSystem3.  Do we really need to go back over the DVD-1?  BeoSound 6?  (I still like BeoSound 2, call me crazy.)

The point is that the BeoLink PC/BeoPort, and the BeoMedia 1 rather represent the first 2 stages (although in the opposite order), and with any luck the BeoSound 5 represents stage 3.  For all that the BeoMaster 5 is just an updated BeoMedia 1 box, the key is the BeoSound 5.  I think it is key to remember, and encouraging, that there are 2 separate devices named.  Development of the 2 into the future may be just independent enough to allow a great many pleasant surprises.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

Page 10 of 11 (271 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next >