in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-14-2008 2:33 PM by soundproof. 270 replies.
Page 7 of 11 (271 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-07-2008 8:00 PM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 5 Photos

Are these real pictures?

Interesting.  It looks like something that will be appreciate more life than in pictures.  The pictures are not doing justice to the form of the BS5/BM 5.

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 10-08-2008 12:37 AM In reply to

I think they are real. Matches everything we discussed sofar and no dealer spoke up.

For me, the pictures did nothing. I want to know how MOTS works and how they wil do a 2 way remote, which is a must have.

Those wheels below the tablet do not make much sense for me, unless it is a switch to release the tablet. In fact, without the tablet coming off that tablet that entire product doesn't make any sense to me since I hve a Beovision and I can use that to navigate.

When it come down to do I get up and select a CD on the BS5 or stay on the couch and use my Beo 4 and my TV.... well I am tired & lazy. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the tablet comes off and they just save the "kicker" features for the end, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't either and if this thing becomes a total flop. 

I am in december in Europe, so even if US launch is delayed a bit I should be able to spot one. 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-08-2008 9:02 AM In reply to

darioazul:

Are these real pictures?

Interesting.  It looks like something that will be appreciate more life than in pictures.  The pictures are not doing justice to the form of the BS5/BM 5.

Dario 

though i initially provided kudos on the scoop...
    i was wondering the same thing as well. i noticed that the button logos are distinctly different than the previous "officially leaked" photos.
    granted, things can change from prototype -> production, but, how many times have we seen "public illustrations" in the mac world?
    i guess we will all find out soon enough.
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 10-08-2008 9:54 AM In reply to

I am sure that these are not real photos, but made up using bits of the movie we had at Xmas for the base, plus pure photoshop images, for the screen.

That said, I am also sure it is a good enough representation of the beast.

p.

• 10-08-2008 10:03 AM In reply to

Do you guys think that if the BS5 looks like the photos, it will remain a classic design?

I think this sort of digital technology will get out of date really quickly and so will its design. For example, I think the BS Ouverture/3X00 is a classic, along with the BS9000. I cant see this BS5 surviving much?

It looks like theres a platic frame round the screen, which feels like some small lcd monitor chopped off and glued to a cylinder. B+O should have made it look and feel a bit like the glass on the BV7, sleek and black and thin, almost like its a piece of glass, even using some version of 3D technology to make the display look amazing, maybe hologram kind of technology.

So far its nothing more than an LCD on a cylinder which we still cant find what its purpose is, is it a base... i dunno

• 10-08-2008 10:08 AM In reply to

Those who have seen it were impressed by the design, and all said it was a real B&O product.
  • 10-08-2008 10:34 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

am i the only one who thinks this design is totally AWESOME?! Ok, it may not be the best photo angle, but the human brain should fill in gaps *mine does*, use your imagination, this product is REALLY cool, and very B&o by the tell of it, it makes me think (todays BS9000)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-08-2008 10:58 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

• 10-08-2008 11:28 AM In reply to

Alex!!! Youve just dropped... THE BOMB!!!!!!

If the release BS5 looks like this, then I will not be buying anything from the new b+O products! Could this be why b+o are delaying the BSM5 release??

• 10-08-2008 11:29 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

• 10-08-2008 12:24 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:

Alex!!! Youve just dropped... THE BOMB!!!!!!

If the release BS5 looks like this, then I will not be buying anything from the new b+O products! Could this be why b+o are delaying the BSM5 release??

Nonsense. iriver is tiny , and crap materials, the design ,I think accidently almost the same. We all know that B+o is designing products long long time ago till it turns into a real product. The BS5 will be one of the best audio products on the market. I promise you that even Steve Jobs will be totally envious about this product. Maybe he will switch to B+o. who knows Laughing

• 10-08-2008 12:45 PM In reply to

Look at it this way, its going to cost a fraction of the price and probably support more functions. Since from the looks of it, the BS5 wont have the itunes sync, they will pretty much do similar jobs. I.e. if you are going to have to copy and reorganise ur music onto the bs5, then you might as well do it for the iriver... the iriver will become ur multiroom system, by physically moving it around and the beomedia 1, will become your bm5.

If anything you will have 2 extra backups of your music... plus there will be no need for a 2way remote since the iriver is the audio player... and if iriver did this, what stops others doing something similar?

Any ideas what the iriver costs? im not getting one, i promise, but i guess im not the most optimistic person with regards to the bs5, i really do hope im proved wrong since im dying for a good mp3 addition to my b+o sys

• 10-08-2008 1:16 PM In reply to

Just to clear up the questions as this thread moves along, YES. Those are "real" photos. They've obviously been edited in some way, but those are in fact pictures of the BeoSound 5. That is what the head unit looks like. 

As I've mentioned before, however, they are zoomed in too much to see it rest on its pedestal. It's extraordinarily sexy and l would wager it becomes a B&O icon on par with the 9000, Avant, BeoLab 5s, etc. It is simple, but compelling.

I was personally a little put off, for example, by how "cheap" the Beo 5 remote felt when it came out, and though I've grown to really like it, it didn't have the physical presence of the Beo 4. The BeoSound 5 is an example of Bang & Olufsen at its finest. It feels solid and has the "over-engineered" feeling that we've come to love. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-08-2008 2:23 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

No Dave you´re not! I´m looking forward to the release. Hopefully they release the next BeoBrief next week with an article and pics.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 10-08-2008 3:01 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

And thinking about what it would do why don't they just install this for the back end media, then you could choose what platform the damn thing runs on and avoid all arguements on mac/pc/etc Big Smile

Click me

• 10-08-2008 3:52 PM In reply to

Wat about the (audio) performance Trip?!

Is it the same or better quality as a cd?

mp3 and beolab9 and 5 doesn't go well you know!

p.s Soundproof what do you think about the new bs5 and the mp3 format

• 10-08-2008 5:33 PM In reply to

• shl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-18-2008
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

I just wish b&o could give me a hub. I have no reason to transfer my media to yet another device. As a small company, b&o can never compete or comply every changing digital or other format and it is actually silly to try. I want something i can connect all my devices with. A stable hub that connect and enhance my more or less ever changing gadgets. It should support just audio both stereo and surround. There are a so many players out there that can provide the visuals. 

Actually Bose have almost got it right with their Lifestyle V30. But I don´t want Bose, I want my favourite brand b&o to do this better and I am pretty sure they can if they take their focus off the mediacentre and let others worry about that.

• 10-08-2008 8:07 PM In reply to

Koning et al.

In my opinion, the sound quality is really the best kept secret. A few of us on here have had significant "hands on" time, but we've also had some "ears-on" time and I've heard it played through everything from BeoLab 4000s to BeoLab 5s. We did a side by side comparison with the BeoLab 5s for a CD and the same CD compressed at 320kbps and I could not detect a difference.

Will some people hear a difference? Who knows. It's so psychological that I'm sure some people will hear a difference whether one exists or not. All I can say is that my personal trepidation over that aspect of the design has been put to bed.

I hope this helps. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-09-2008 3:58 AM In reply to

koning:

mp3 and beolab9 and 5 doesn't go well you know!

p.s Soundproof what do you think about the new bs5 and the mp3 format

1. I wouldn't say that mp3 and BL9/5 don't go well together, but that these speakers are quite revealing, and that LOW-RATE mp3-files may sound reduced in quality. This is particularly true of light instruments (higher frequencies), where the codecs seem to lose definition in this area (cymbals, higher harmonics.)
    Personally, I also feel that tight bass sounds (jazz bass, drums, other deep sounds) seem truncated, with less distinguishable information in the sound.

I will say that after having lived with my BeoLab 5s for a while, I seem to quickly notice when random play has picked one of my old iTunes rips (128 and 160kbps). Hearing lossless files and CD-playback on a regular basis for well over a year through the BL5s seems to have tuned me in to what music should sound like.

2. There have been many comparison tests where people have been asked to distinguish between 320kbps and original Redbook (cd-resolution files). The jury is out on this one, as the results seem to point to different conclusions - some saying it's indistinguishable, others saying "are you deaf?"

Linn carried out a sly test, using a song from Händel's Messiah, where the chorus and orchestra repeat the same sequence four times. They doctored the file, and had the first repetition in 24bit/96kHz, and the subsequent ones in 16/44.1 (CD), 320kbps and 192kbps.
    http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/1007awsi/

Listeners reported that it felt as if the music was progressively getting poorer, but that first really noticed when transitioning to 320kbps, with 192kbps sounding unacceptable after having experienced the full-resolution file.

But the higher resolutions only make sense if the recording chain, from the microphone onwards, is capable of exploiting the greater range possible.

3. I do however feel that a modern, digital playback system should have lossless options in addition to lossy - if only for peace of mind, in knowing that you do not have an unnecessary filter between yourself and the music.

4. I haven't seen the latest official spec's for BeoSound 5 and understand that these have evolved, and can therefore not answer your p.s. But as you'll see from a post I have in the Mac-forum (What way music?), I do suggest that B&O release the spec's soon!

• 10-09-2008 5:11 AM In reply to

soundproof:

3. I do however feel that a modern, digital playback system should have lossless options in addition to lossy - if only for peace of mind, in knowing that you do not have an unnecessary filter between yourself and the music.

Personally I don't believe either that lossless must be there for quality reasons. But leaving it out would be just plain silly. A plain CD rip to uncompressed wav will take at most ~750 GB. I can go to the store today and get a one terabyte hard disk for 100-120 euros - room for at least 1300 uncompressed CDs. I believe the Apple lossless format, which people here somehow seem to consider as a must for a "serious" music system, is just a way to compress the music files further from there (in addition to collecting money to Apple, Inc) and I see no point in that unless you're using the music in a portable player as well. And just how are you going to hear the difference between lossless and, say, 320 kbps MP3 on an iPod while jogging?

-mika

• 10-09-2008 5:21 AM In reply to

It is not Apple Lossless that we want, but any at least a lossless format!

It does not reduce quality - at all - form the original and takes half the space on the hard drive.

The thing about Apple Lossless is that it is available in iTunes, which has become the predominant tool for managing our music library.

p.

• 10-09-2008 5:55 AM In reply to

wtlc2zpx:

The thing about Apple Lossless is that it is available in iTunes, which has become the predominant tool for managing our music library.

Yes, I understand - but as I don't have that or any other Apple product, I can objectively look at it as just another attempt at vendor lock-in Stick out tongue

If it can be licensed without some ridiculous conditions I agree it should be supported, just for the larger audience if nothing else. But I can't see why it couldn't happen through some converter, because as I tried to point out, storage space isn't much of an issue for a fixed appliance anymore. I hope B&O thought a little in advance and didn't arbitrarily limit the thing to 500GB?

-mika

• 10-09-2008 6:11 AM In reply to

Tournedos - I do not understand how Apple makes money from their lossless format? iTunes is free, the conversion program included is free. You pay for your computer, but you can use iTunes non non-Apple computers, and the worldwide majority of iTunes users do not use Apple computers.

WAV or AIFF is full-file, while FLAC, Apple lossless and other lossless formats reduce the size of the originating file, without losing any information. Whether you want to use Apple lossless is another matter. Many suppliers of high-resolution files provide these in FLAC, WAV, etc - and then leave it up to the users whether they wish to convert the files to another format, for instance one of Apple's, or any of the hundreds of others available, for free or purchase.

• 10-09-2008 6:31 AM In reply to

soundproof:

Tournedos - I do not understand how Apple makes money from their lossless format? iTunes is free, the conversion program included is free.

Yes, it's free for the end user, but is it free for someone (say B&O) who might want to integrate the support into their products? That's what I was talking about. But I seriously don't know - if it really is, then all the better.

-mika

• 10-09-2008 6:39 AM In reply to

I am not aware that Apple has licensed Apple Lossless yet... so it probably has no price.

As for a lock in, well, because you can convert your songs from it to any other format without any loss, it does not lock you into it.

I will do a search if Apple licenses it.

p.

Page 7 of 11 (271 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »