in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-12-2011 10:01 PM by Ron Pruitt. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-06-2011 6:57 AM

Beosound 5 Encore & Spotify ?!

Hi.

I wonder if there is any way to run spotify with/on Beosound 5 Encore?

I can have an iphone or PC standing next to the Beosound 5 if necessary but i would like to control Spotify from the Beosound 5 Encore in some way, not just to connect it via AUX.

Anyone who knows anything about this?

Happy for your answers!

/Magnus

• 10-06-2011 8:54 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 5 Encore & Spotify ?!

You could run it from the A.Aux using an airport express.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-06-2011 9:03 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

You could run it from the A.Aux using an airport express.

But then it will be just like taking the low level signals from the output on the computer to A.Aux to my Beocenter 2?

Then BS5 would act as any other Pre-Amplifier?

I want to connect them together to control spotify from the Beosound 5.

The Airport Express... do I really get good sound quality through it?

I have Beolab 5 and Beocenter 2 and thinking of upgrading to BS5 Encore.

• 10-06-2011 11:39 AM In reply to

At the moment there's no way to run Spotify natively on the BeoSound 5 platform. It manages your own music collection, IP Radio, and plays auxiliary sources. And no, the sound quality through the AirPort express isn't stellar, but it's a convenient solution.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-06-2011 11:58 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

At the moment there's no way to run Spotify natively on the BeoSound 5 platform. It manages your own music collection, IP Radio, and plays auxiliary sources. And no, the sound quality through the AirPort express isn't stellar, but it's a convenient solution.

Whilst I really like the BS5 / Encore concept, the lack of access to streamed music vis spotify is just madness.

Yes - there are reasons ( no keyboard/touchscreen for one)  BUT.....the fact I can get Spotify on my £200 pc towers and my FOC phone means it just should be there on a £4,000 audio system.

The fact it isn't MUST be putting off many, many potential buyers.

• 10-06-2011 6:22 PM In reply to

Without divulging too much, I think that B&O realize the need for a streamed service (at least one, if not more), but due to copyright laws, it's difficult to make an international platform since many services exist only in certain countries or the EU. Now that Spotify has gone (more or less) global, I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on the BeoSound 5. 

That's the great thing about the BeoSound 5 platform. You don't have to worry about a MkII giving you buyers remorse in a few months. The platform is very flexible in being able to add major features for free over the life of the product.  

• 10-07-2011 2:55 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

The platform is very flexible in being able to add major features for free over the life of the product.  

It is then going to be interesting to see how long "for free" will last, until MKII?  Big Smile 

There is something about B&O.....

• 10-07-2011 3:41 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

Without divulging too much, I think that B&O realize the need for a streamed service (at least one, if not more), but due to copyright laws, it's difficult to make an international platform since many services exist only in certain countries or the EU. Now that Spotify has gone (more or less) global, I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on the BeoSound 5. 

That's the great thing about the BeoSound 5 platform. You don't have to worry about a MkII giving you buyers remorse in a few months. The platform is very flexible in being able to add major features for free over the life of the product.  

Trip - with all due respect, I heard Torben say that in Berlin 3 years ago ( or was it four ? ) and yet it still cannot stream audio from the net.

Copyright issues delayed spotify launching in the US, but it has been all over Europe like a rash for years, and once launched in your patch, it was available overnight on kit costing a fraction of the bs5......plus there is napster, lastfm etc etc ... and I repeat my point that when a service like that can be used on so many items, including phones, sonos, TV's, ANY pc, etc etc then it is simply not on for such a service to be missing.

Constant "wait & see" & "I can't say" style hints are just not good enough.  And a bit condescending.

• 10-07-2011 4:43 AM In reply to

• akoro
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Espoo, Finland
    • Posts 88
    • Gold Member

folkdeejay:

TripEnglish:

Whilst I really like the BS5 / Encore concept, the lack of access to streamed music vis spotify is just madness.

Yes - there are reasons ( no keyboard/touchscreen for one)  BUT.....the fact I can get Spotify on my £200 pc towers and my FOC phone means it just should be there on a £4,000 audio system.

The fact it isn't MUST be putting off many, many potential buyers.

It really is the case, sales are lost due this lack of functionality.

I just had an idea - as BeoSound 5 Encore can access DLNA server would it be possible to make a program that acts as an interface between spotify and dlna server? What I mean is: This program would read spotify account info and playlists/albums and compile a music directory for dlna clients. When a song is selected from BeoSound 5 Encore this program would start to stream it from spotify into this "file" in the directory.

In this way you could access spotify as you access music normally with BeoSound 5 and BeoSound 5 Encore. I would pay money for this kind of program.

Another idea! Spotify player program that has a DLNA Play-To button! Problem solved atleast in BeoSound 5 full version that can accept incoming DLNA stream.

btw. I just had really good cup of coffee Coffee

• 10-07-2011 6:25 AM In reply to

akoro:
    I just had an idea - as BeoSound 5 Encore can access DLNA server would it be possible to make a program that acts as an interface between spotify and dlna server? What I mean is: This program would read spotify account info and playlists/albums and compile a music directory for dlna clients. When a song is selected from BeoSound 5 Encore this program would start to stream it from spotify into this "file" in the directory.

Everything would be possible with open documented interfaces, but the public API for Spotify is very limited - I doubt anything like that could be implemented by a 3rd party without Spotify the company being involved in the project somehow.

akoro:
    Another idea! Spotify player program that has a DLNA Play-To button! Problem solved atleast in BeoSound 5 full version that can accept incoming DLNA stream.

Wonder if this would work with a Nokia Symbian phone in between with a Spotify client and the Play-To app Big Smile

-mika

• 10-07-2011 4:30 PM In reply to

You get no excuses from me on these points. I agree that it's crucial. We're in the process of building the company back to being competitive and it doesn't happen overnight, but I agree that the digital music landscape is largely dominated by apps and services like Pandora, Spotify, etc. People have already fallen in love with these services and use them across other platforms. It's sometimes too much to give up on the BeoSound 5. 

And the "wait & see" attitude isn't meant to be condescending, it reflects what I know and what I'm permitted to say. All dealers have to walk the line between being helpful and breaching an NDA. 

I was already slapped on the wrist by some colleagues when I revealed Tue's plans to convert the B1 stores into affordable family dining establishments. 

• 11-12-2011 10:01 PM In reply to

You might try bringing spotify or other app of choice,  in through a sonos or one of the new smart bluray devices (relatively inexpensive implementation).  Depending on your components and system setup it might be an easy execution.  Ron

My Beo:

Beosound 2500, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 9, Beolab 6002, Beolab 4000, Beolab 4, Beosound 9000 x3, Beosound 5, Beomaster 5 1 TB, Beosound 5 Encore, Beovision 10 46 x 3, 10 40 x 1, Beolink passive zone x 3 w/ beovox 2.  All connected via MLG and an Atlona 8 x 8 matrix HDMI switcher.  Additional non B & O sources: iPort FS-2 x4, Samsung 6700 3D Smart Blu Ray(Pandora, Netflix, Hulu plus,You Tube, many more), Dish HD DVR x2, TVIX HD Slim1, Sonos Zone player 90 (works seamlessly with Anubis.fm, AUPEO!, Deezer, iheartradio, JUKE, Last.fm, MOG, Napster®, Pandora®, Rdio®, Rhapsody®, SiriusXM™ Internet Radio, Spotify®, Stitcher SmartRadio(tm), TuneIn, Wolfgang’s Vault®, and downloads from any service offering DRM-free tracks) , Apple TV, Mac Mini. Lutron Radio Ra 2..... Control via Beo 6, IPhone and IPad.  Yet to come...climate control, energy dashboard, vid conferencing/web cams.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)