in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-18-2008 6:40 PM by mAtHiAs. 68 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-21-2007 1:43 PM In reply to

Re: Hard to choose between Beolab 8000 or Beolab 3

Just a thought (a distant thought),, some of u in here will problaby hate me for this;

But,, can't we use two BL 3500 in the same room,, i havent listening to it & im not

aware if someone use it as a main speaker!!!

The frequency rate may perhaps not catch my ears but the look of it touch my eye's Big Smile

• 11-21-2007 4:21 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Definitely not, sorry! Laughing We'd have to come round and do some 're-installing' if you were allowed to get away with this Stick out tongue

The BeoLab 3500 is a stereo loudspeaker by itself, and by getting two of them, you'll effectively be listening to two pairs of lower-quality loudspeakers, rather than a single higher quality speaker. Absolutely something to avoid, as you'll get no stereo 'spread' of sound at all...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-21-2007 4:32 PM In reply to

Alex:

Definitely not, sorry! Laughing We'd have to come round and do some 're-installing' if you were allowed to get away with this Stick out tongue

The BeoLab 3500 is a stereo loudspeaker by itself, and by getting two of them, you'll effectively be listening to two pairs of lower-quality loudspeakers, rather than a single higher quality speaker. Absolutely something to avoid, as you'll get no stereo 'spread' of sound at all...

Well - yes, and then ...

If you were dead set on using BL3500s as front speakers you could always biwire each - that is have both sets of speakers, originally intended for L and R, receive just one set -- i.e. your left BL3500 receives the L output only, and the right the R output.

You could even go very fancy, and have the innermost set of speakers on each receive a mix of L&R, while the outermost set on each got a full dose of its respective L or R. Then you'd really get a stereo perspective ... Though I have no idea how it would sound, before you have them up and playing away. As far as I can gather, the BL3500s are designed to work as background listening speakers, though, and not as foreground "instruments" on a par with BL3, 5, 9.

• 11-21-2007 4:59 PM In reply to

Okidoki,, i back off Embarrassed But i was like a said earlier (a distant thought).......

In a near future my girlfriend & i planing to buy a bigger apartment,, we

live in just 28.5 squaremeters!

Im sure that our new apartment's livingroom will be bigger than our present living.

& it would be nice to fill the new squaremeters with some B&O equipment!

I know that the BL 8000's did get new bass units,, but how about the units inside

like the amplifiers - are they the same or have them also been change??

• 11-21-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

My understanding of the change to the 8000's is that there was a slight change to the crossovers (~2003) to improve reliability (and alledgedly improve the bass although most here that have heard both can not tell the difference between the two).

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-22-2007 2:57 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:
    My understanding of the change to the 8000's is that there was a slight change to the crossovers (~2003) to improve reliability (and alledgedly improve the bass although most here that have heard both can not tell the difference between the two).

Maybe they have bad HiFi hearing? Because it´s easy to notice the difference in higher and lower levels when you are listening to Mk l vs Mk II at Home!

From January 2003, BeoLab 8000 was obtainable with new driver units giving extra bass at low levels. While not delivering as much as a BeoLab 2 (dedicated sub-woofer) the bass drivers with the newer BeoLab 8000 have a marked improvement over their predecessors. The upgrade involved new frequency equalization and improved ABL system. These improvements are mostly apparent at high volume levels. The changes are implemented form serial 16992475 onwards.

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 11-22-2007 3:24 AM In reply to

Beolab:

Puncher:

Maybe they have bad HiFi hearing? Because it´s easy to notice the difference in higher and lower levels when you are listening to Mk l vs Mk II at Home!

From January 2003, BeoLab 8000 was obtainable with new driver units giving extra bass at low levels. While not delivering as much as a BeoLab 2 (dedicated sub-woofer) the bass drivers with the newer BeoLab 8000 have a marked improvement over their predecessors. The upgrade involved new frequency equalization and improved ABL system. These improvements are mostly apparent at high volume levels. The changes are implemented form serial 16992475 onwards.

Regards

Ah, Mr BeoLab. I challenge you on that. I guess "it's easy" when you know which is which, it's amazing what we can hear when we're primed as to what to listen for. It's quite difficult to tell them apart at regular listening levels.

Read the text you copied again: BeoLab 8000 was obtainable with new driver units giving extra bass at low levels.

This possibly depends upon the age of the MKI, not all have been in ideal places during their years of use -- temperature and humidity variations can affect driver performance. If you found it very easy to tell MkI and MKII apart at regular listening levels then I suspect something was wrong with the MKIs.

• 11-22-2007 3:45 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

These improvements are mostly apparent at high volume levels

Hm i don´t think so, but could be an answer to it..

Anyway the most people ho reclaim that they can´t hear the difference haven´t heard a A+B listening with both models beside each other .. Because if you are listening on MK II in a store and then play the same CD at home on your MK I´s you can´t remember exactly how it did sound. Because humans don't have so good "sound memory".. So to be certain you most do a A+B hearing.. It´s no big difference but noticeable..

(Like David ho think that the BL4000 sound like BL 5.. It´s because the human ear and sound memory adapts to each sound we are listening to..)

Regards 

BL8000 MkII Black

• 11-22-2007 3:50 AM In reply to

It could be I was deaf on the day, but I have heard them side-by-side in a store -- and I did notice the better bass at low levels, but didn't really note a "marked improvement" at high volume levels.

Hey! Maybe my hifi listening powers are deficient. Big Smile 

• 11-22-2007 4:05 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Hm, strange Hmm

I have a very sensitive hearing for one, but it seems to be odd if  B&o do a upgrade and just 1 of 10 peoples can hear the difference.. Then the hole upgrade are a waistfullness of effort i think....

( My hearing is a little bit strange some times, but i can hear the very high pitch pink noise of a CRT tube´s tension (18.000- 20.000Hz) in the living room when i am on the second floor in the bedroom..)  Huh?

Regards Smile   

BL8000 MkII Black

• 11-22-2007 4:21 AM In reply to

Beolab:

Hm, strange Hmm

I have a very sensitive hearing for one, but it seems to be odd if  B&o do a upgrade and just 1 of 10 peoples can hear the difference.. Then the hole upgrade are a waistfullness of effort i think....

( My hearing is a little bit strange some times, but i can hear the very high pitch pink noise of a CRT tube´s tension (18.000- 20.000Hz) in the living room when i am on the second floor in the bedroom..)  Huh?

Regards Smile   

Then you have quite sensitive hearing. That pitch is at around 18kHz and is produced by the HT transformer core.

My hearing tops out under 15kHz - the consequence of age. You've probably heard of the mosquito ringtones? These are pitched so high that adults can't hear them. Kids use them in class to receive notice of when they get sms-messages without the teacher noticing. 

• 11-22-2007 4:23 AM In reply to

I can also hear the high frequence that a CRT television gives,, so perhaps im one

of them who can hear the difference between the new / old BL 8000's Big Smile

I like electronic music (old & new) aswell as i like jazz m m,, is the BL 8000's

sensitive when it comes to deep bass attacs??????

What i mean is,, do they have the problem to sound "cracked" in harder music?

• 11-22-2007 4:43 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:
    Beolab:

Hm, strange Hmm

Regards Smile   

Then you have quite sensitive hearing. That pitch is at around 18kHz and is produced by the HT transformer core.

My hearing tops out under 15kHz - the consequence of age. You've probably heard of the mosquito ringtones? These are pitched so high that adults can't hear them. Kids use them in class to receive notice of when they get sms-messages without the teacher noticing. 

So then you don´t have to buy SACD speakers with 18-50.000 Hz high pitched treble.. ;)

Yes a friend of my spoked about the mosquito ring tones last week.. Very interesting i think!

And i don´t think the bass sounds cracked up if you are listening to techno or something.. The ABL system just turn the bass down a bit a high levels.. But 8000 is not made for trance and hard core listening.. But with two BL 2´s you can! =)=)

I got one BL2 and think trance music sound´s great!

But i listen more to Chris Jones stockfish records , Himmelskip ( Danish Organ pipe folk music)  and  blue grass music with much detail and great dynamics..

Organ pipe music and BL 8000 are like made for each other! =)=)

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 11-22-2007 6:23 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I am sensitive to that noise as well and it really bugged me, no one knew what i was talking about! Then we turned on the BV3 and immediatly noticed the silence, YAY! Thank god for B&O

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-22-2007 6:45 AM In reply to

Fredrik, 

I understand that your'e pleased with your sound from B&O.

Im also in to music with a lot of ingredients,, but for now & then

the old elecro music is played aswell as the Rnb music (girlfriend).

You live in Stockholm,, perhaps i can come by for some private listening Stick out tongue 

When you mention SACD,, i have use that format before with

B&W 705, Primare i20 & Philips dvd963sa + Bedrock cables

= So sad that i didnt choose B&O from the begining...................

• 11-22-2007 6:52 AM In reply to

They've even added a BeoLab 3500 as centre channel speaker ...

To me the room looks upside down! Big Smile 

• 11-22-2007 3:19 PM In reply to

Alex:

For large rooms though, BeoLab 8000s will generally be better as they don't tend to 'scream' at higher volumes, whilst the BeoLab 3s can start to sound pretty 'strained' at higher volumes.

i agree on this one with alex.

beolab 3 is fantastic. beolab 8000 is fantastic. it's matter of taste and style.

soundproof:

Peter:
    Beolab 9s? Squatter but better sound and probably more child friendly.

"Daddy? Can the penguins sleep in my room tonight?" 

laughing out loud!!! 

seriously. get the 8000's if you planning to move in near future for new place. you will be pleased. i don't have kids but several kids have visited here and nobody of them have even noticed 8000's or 2. worry later if something happens.

cause you can end up in nightmare situation with any speaker you choose if you worry too much.

• 11-22-2007 4:25 PM In reply to

Seriously,, I'm considering an alternativ treatment - hypnosis,, perhaps then my worries will vanish Laughing

Im starting to loose my head,, it seems that everywere i look, my eyes pick up shapes with the

design of a Bang & Olufsen speaker........... It may sound funny but it isn't.............

Thank god that my girlfriend have the power to hold me back,, we would have been bankrupt if not......

• 11-22-2007 4:32 PM In reply to

• 11-22-2007 7:07 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

mAtHiAs:

what does the article in your link mean? I think most of us beoworlders don't understand that article... 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 11-23-2007 2:18 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

The right way =)

BL8000 MkII Black

• 11-26-2007 4:11 AM In reply to

Question - Is the BL6000's a good hifi speaker??

• 11-26-2007 5:06 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

If you put a sub next to them, they can perform well Smile. If you want a really good sound you should take the 8000's + a sub or the 9's.

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 11-26-2007 7:10 AM In reply to

Beobird:
    If you put a sub next to them, they can perform well Smile. If you want a really good sound you should take the 8000's + a sub or the 9's.

Don't agree here. The Beolab 6000's have reasonable performance, but the Beolab 4000's and Beolab 8000's are superior speakers. Beolab 2 is a bit slow and not that well suited for listening to music in my opinion. If you want a better sound, get Beolab 3's, 9's or 5's. 

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-26-2007 11:08 AM In reply to

mAtHiAs:

Question - Is the BL6000's a good hifi speaker??

In my opinion, no.

Page 2 of 3 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >