in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-03-2009 7:47 PM by Evan. 79 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (80 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-08-2007 4:31 AM

Anyone like old cars?

Picked up my new toy on Thursday evening from Hull. It's a 1972 MG BGT. Took it for a blast down the A64 to York yesterday and it never missed a beat. Still smiling now! Weather is lame in Leeds this morning, and was planning to ride in to work in it, but decided against it so it's sat warm and dry in the garage at home instead :)

(sorry for blanking the reg out - my missus wouldn't let me post the pics on her Flickr account without blurring it first for some reason)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 10-08-2007 5:30 AM In reply to

Re: Anyone like old cars?

Very nice! My mother had a 1972 MGBGT from new. Always liked the interior. That one looks in very good condition. Had my GT6 out on Saturday - blew up the tyres and fixed a petrol leak - now fine again! Only the third time it has been out this year! Disgraceful!
  • 10-08-2007 8:44 AM In reply to

That's terrible Peter! You need to blow out the cobwebs every now and then, though we've not had much of a summer this year for convertibles I suppose :(

Am liking having a classic again. People let you pull out of junctions and are generally quite courteous when you're driving along in a bright orange MGB. This one's not got as much poke as my old V8, but I couldn't stretch to a V8 this year as my budget was spanked by the financial black hole that is my new house. At least the fuel bill is cheaper though ;)

• 10-08-2007 8:54 AM In reply to

I agree - I do get let out into traffic more! The acceleration on mine is pretty good though the brakes are not servoed so braking is probably the weak point. It does have uprated ventilated discs though and Green Stuff pads but is a much heavier car to drive than something modern. Much lighter to steer with air in the tyres though as I found out on Saturday!! I have similar wheels to you - mine are Superlites.

Mine does have an interesting foible - despite the SU carbs being refurbished, the dash pots seem to empty almost after each run. I add oil almost every time I go out! I changed from Strombergs as I find the SU easier to maintain and no nasty rubber daphragm to rot with unleaded fuel!

• 10-08-2007 10:22 AM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

NICE CAR

Check out my porsche 356 speedster, 1956. HAD HER FOR TWO YEARS NOW. nothing I have ever driven gets as much attention as this!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

FOR EVERYTHING ELSE......THERES B&O

• 10-08-2007 10:46 AM In reply to

Lovely car. When I was getting mine, I looked at a Jaguar E-Type as that was the car I always drooled over when a boy. However I decided that I would never want to leave it parked anywhere so decided on something I would mind less if damaged and also less likely to be damaged! I think the 356 would fall into the E-Type bracket! I did have a Mk2 GT6 that I used for every day transport for a while but despite being a hard top, it leaked too much in the winter!!
  • 10-08-2007 10:49 AM In reply to

That is absolutely mint! You're a lucky man indeed. There can't be many RHD 356 Speedsters around. Is it an original UK car?

On a more mundane note, I haven't checked the dashpots on my SUs yet. From what I remember on the V8 you use sewing machine oil in them - is this right Peter?

• 10-08-2007 11:03 AM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

It is a 1956 californian import. It has been fully restored and was converted to RHD at the time of restoration. As you can see she is totally unblemished.

No 356 speedsters were made for the UK. The UK were only intrduced to the 356 a/b coupe's in the late 60's

Being only 28, I get a lot of funny looks from people my age.....but what do they know!!

• 10-08-2007 11:13 AM In reply to

Fair play mate! I'm 28 too and I thought the looks I got when I was 23 (MG BGT V8) and 25 (MINT Signal Red Triumph TR6) were bad enough, but I imagine that your car takes the biscuit. Have you blown away any boy racers in the Speedster yet? I used to love doing that in the V8 and TR6, but the standard B just doesn't have the poke bless it!

I did wonder whether the Speedster was a US model.....that piece of info was lost somewhere in the depths of my memory from some classic car mag or other I will have read and re-read a 100 times over when I was a kid.

• 10-08-2007 12:14 PM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

j0hnbarker:

Fair play mate! I'm 28 too and I thought the looks I got when I was 23 (MG BGT V8) and 25 (MINT Signal Red Triumph TR6) were bad enough, but I imagine that your car takes the biscuit. Have you blown away any boy racers in the Speedster yet? I used to love doing that in the V8 and TR6, but the standard B just doesn't have the poke bless it!

I did wonder whether the Speedster was a US model.....that piece of info was lost somewhere in the depths of my memory from some classic car mag or other I will have read and re-read a 100 times over when I was a kid.

To be honest, the porsche is not the quickest car ever made. The engine porsche used was the same 1600 super, twin carb engine as the beetle, it is hardly a monster, but it cruises nicely at about 90mph but sound is stunning from the 4 exhaust pipes.

• 10-08-2007 12:33 PM In reply to

Speed is not important really! Mine feels much faster than it actually goes! Far safer that way anyway! I did have a Honda Beat for a while which was a real hoot. The speedo was in km/h but it felt like mph! You had a manic 650cc engine revving to well over 10,000 rpm with a lovely double edged wail - not completely unlike a Ferrari Dino. You were also so low that everything seemed to be speeded up. Hilarious to drive and you were not too likely to be done for speeding!

• 10-08-2007 12:54 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

On a more mundane note, I haven't checked the dashpots on my SUs yet. From what I remember on the V8 you use sewing machine oil in them - is this right Peter?

Normal 3 in 1 oil should be fine for the job. Used it several times on different cars with Su's. You can get carb oil but I have never bothered.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 10-08-2007 2:09 PM In reply to

I have been using simple GTX - is that not good enough?
  • 10-08-2007 5:27 PM In reply to

Peter:
    I have been using simple GTX - is that not good enough?

So just a drop of engine oil then? I can't remember who told me to use sewing machine oil - might have been my Dad who incidentally had a GT6 from new in the 1970s. He always liked to be thorough (he was a pilot and very fastidious with mechanical things).

• 10-08-2007 7:15 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

I would kill to own a Pontiac Firebird. Preferably an 84 model. The worst bit is that in another year or so, I'll be able to afford one, but I won't be able to afford to park it anywhere in central London. When it happens though, the weekend plan is to drive to France for some cases of Coors beer (*very* loosely recreating the idea of Smokey & The Bandid)... One can only dream for now
  • 10-09-2007 7:46 AM In reply to

Just to update the SU thread on the Beoworld classic car forum, my Dad never recommended sewing machine oil - that was for something else and I got confused. He recommended ATF, but as I don't have any of that because the MG is a manual, I'll bang in some 15/40 in the dashpots and hope for the best!

• 10-09-2007 3:46 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

I have yearned for a Volvo Amazon (121) for a while, but unfortunately it is too expensive at the moment. Generally vintage cars have gotten more expensive the last 5-10 years as more people have found an interest in them. Generally cars are expensive in Denmark, they are heavily taxed (above 200%). So until I finish writing my Masters thesis I’ll have to do with my ‘vintage’ VW POLO 1,3 HIT from 1984… certainly an old car, just a bit younger than me.

Br

Chr.

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 10-09-2007 5:27 PM In reply to

I am old enough to have grown up with many cars with SU carbs. Engine oil was good for the dashpots then and I'm sure it still is.

Regards Graham

• 10-09-2007 5:39 PM In reply to

ChrDH:

I have yearned for a Volvo Amazon (121) for a while, but unfortunately it is too expensive at the moment. Generally vintage cars have gotten more expensive the last 5-10 years as more people have found an interest in them. Generally cars are expensive in Denmark, they are heavily taxed (above 200%). So until I finish writing my Masters thesis I’ll have to do with my ‘vintage’ VW POLO 1,3 HIT from 1984… certainly an old car, just a bit younger than me.

Br

Chr.

I've always liked the styling on the Amazon, and those massive V-O-L-V-O letters right across the bonnet look very cool! The P1800 is another one of my favourites, though sometimes I get the feeling that the styling is a little bit over the top for my tastes - I like it from all angles but the rear three-quarter when the fins do look a bit too much! Of course, the early ones had their bodies built here in the UK by Jensen, but I think the quality control wasn't up to much and they ended up being wholly built in Sweden and gained the 'S' suffix in honour of where they were built! 

• 10-10-2007 7:48 AM In reply to

• fridsten
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 167
    • Founder

sharif:
    NICE CAR

Check out my porsche 356 speedster, 1956. HAD HER FOR TWO YEARS NOW. nothing I have ever driven gets as much attention as this!

Unsure

I want one! But I guess I'll have to manage with my crappy 924 from '78.

• 10-10-2007 9:11 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Regarding Volvo

Yes, the amazon is probably the most beautifull Volvo. I agree with you on the P1800, I have always thought the P1800 was a bit too much, especially when considering that it actually just is an Amazon at the front and a 544 at the rear. But still, I could probably be convinced at buying one anyway, after all, it is a Volvo.

A Volvo 164 would also be lovely.

Br

Chr.

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 10-10-2007 3:52 PM In reply to

My favourites include Aston Martin (when it was actually good and not just a good-looking Ford) DB5. A Jaguar C-type and E coupe. To all the MG fans I prefer the Midgit (probably incorrect spelling) more than the BGT.
  • 10-10-2007 3:57 PM In reply to

Slightly out of my price range! The DB5 is beautiful I agree! If I could have anything though, an XK-SS would be my choice - rare and beautiful and a curvier E-Type - smaller as well which I prefer. There was a beautiful one at the Classic Car show the year that mine was on the Triumph stand. He wouldn't swap though!! Laughing
  • 10-11-2007 9:28 AM In reply to

To be honest, I love my Renault Clio 1,2 RN 1991 Big Smile
  • 10-18-2007 6:48 AM In reply to

I'm the owner of a Volvo 1800 S from 1965. The P is only for the first batch of 1800 cars serial 1 to 6000 or 1961 to 1963.The production stopped in 1972 of the 1800 while the ES version ended in 1973.

People keep getting that wrong. It's a matter of styling. Personally I dig it. If its good enough for Roger Moore well its good enough for me.

Page 1 of 4 (80 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >