in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-03-2009 7:47 PM by Evan. 79 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (80 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-18-2007 7:52 AM In reply to

Re: Anyone like old cars?

Nice car for sure, it's just that for a 28 year old from a nothern town in England, the P1800 is a bit over the top. I'd love to own one in a few years, but perhaps when I live somewhere a bit more forgiving in terms of what car you drive. You're only a real man in my town if you drive a 'Scooby' and screw it around the local roads at ridiculous speeds you see....

You should post a picture of your car for us all to see!

Am I wrong about the 'S' suffix then? I thought they only gained that when the body production (and hence the entire car assembly) ceased in West Bromwich at Jensen's and went to Sweden?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 10-19-2007 6:49 AM In reply to

It's not worthy of pictures as yet as the years since 1984 has taken theirs. I got rust and alot of missing parts so as its a heavenly needed A-Z job and a few former owners given up allready the Volvo is non disclosed for public so far in the current state.

The S suffix should be for Sweden when the prduction moved back home in 1963. Note that the body were still made at Jensen untill 1969.

It did not stand for Super or Sport as the Volvo 1800 is to heavy for that. The S version ran from 1963 to 1969 and then it was called the 1800 E for fuel injection. ES is for estate version.

• 10-19-2007 10:32 AM In reply to

Well, good luck for when you decide to restore it. I expect that whenever you have the P1800 back up and running, you'll have a lovely car to enjoy!

Not surprised about the rust though as yours is a Jensen bodied car. I've wanted an Interceptor since I was a kid, and nearly bought one on two separate occasions, but fear of my investment rotting away in front of my eyes has stopped me both times. Lovely cars, Interceptors, but rather vulnerable to rotting Swiss cheese (or Alfa Romeo Gamma Coupe, if you will) style. 

• 10-20-2007 7:07 AM In reply to

Another category. I have 2 old Citroen 2CV's. The gray one is from 1955, the red one from 1969. A 2CV was (when I was younger) my very first car I owned, I've never stopped loving the freedom you get of driving a 2CV and, if the weather is good enough, with the roof opened.

• 10-20-2007 12:27 PM In reply to

Yes there sure is :-)

Im a big car/bike fan, everthing that moves that can be customized is always something that can get my attention.

This is my 15.th year with old Volkswagens and here is my latest VW toy.

A Volkswagen Type1 1952 Ragtop Split.

the car have won many shows 2005 and 2006 where I took it to many show/meetinga around Europe.

It's featured in many VW Magazine also in the same year.

Regards Anders

• 10-21-2007 3:11 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

WAW! nice VW, i'm a huge fan and am in love with the Mercedes 190E, when i have enough dough i'll fix one up like new.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-22-2007 7:12 AM In reply to

Hi David

It's a fun car and a real cool headturner, though it's nice I'm thinking about selling it, so I can get a set of Beolab5 and a BV5 (or maybe BV9) and I really miss my Beosound9000 so I would like buy one of these again, and then move the Beosystem4500 to the bedroom or kitchen instead. After I have seen mr. Anders(son) pictures with his new setup, I'm really turned on fire Devil And I would do anything to convince my wife, that those Beolab 5 is soooo beautiful Party!!!

Anders 

Regards Anders

• 10-22-2007 9:19 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

Well, good luck for when you decide to restore it. I expect that whenever you have the P1800 back up and running, you'll have a lovely car to enjoy!

Not surprised about the rust though as yours is a Jensen bodied car. I've wanted an Interceptor since I was a kid, and nearly bought one on two separate occasions, but fear of my investment rotting away in front of my eyes has stopped me both times. Lovely cars, Interceptors, but rather vulnerable to rotting Swiss cheese (or Alfa Romeo Gamma Coupe, if you will) style. 

Thank you and yes it will be special as word can describe it. Despite being in the Danish Volvo 1800 club which is the oldest Volvo club in Denmark. Has been going since 1981 I have never seen any original light blue 1965 1800S at all. Furthermore its always been Danish never imported so saving it for the future would be the greatest thing to do.

I have made on error saying that Jensen did the bodíes but it was Pressed Steel that did them untill 1969 while Jensen put them together. Volvo was not happy about the quality which ended with the 6000 cars by Jensen. In fact it was Pressed steels fault with Jensen having to do extra work to make the cars right.

• 10-22-2007 9:51 AM In reply to

He he! Pressed Steel did the B bodies for MG. Perhaps that explains why no one panel is the same as any other!

• 10-25-2007 1:50 PM In reply to

Yes, I too like old cars. I have been a total car freak since the age of two. Unfortunately I do not own a classic, but my favourite brand has to be Porsche. I have driven a rally last year in a wonderful Porsche 356C. I have to give my father credit for the brillliant navigation, because we won the event.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-02-2007 12:23 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hertfordshire United Kingdom
    • Posts 136
    • Bronze Member

Guys those are some wonderful classic cars you have got there. Cool

I used to own a Mini Cooper of  '91 vintage until I taught it to fly. I absolutely loved that car. Well my current steed is by now also a classic but compared to your cars it's futuristic.

My wife would love to own a split screen VW campervan in which she could go camping. 

Kind Regards Toby
    I better do my bit and suspend my siggy.
  • 03-27-2008 10:39 AM In reply to

Hello!

I'm just learning to know this forum. You guys have wonderful cars, and good taste. I shouldn't be surprised I guess, since I'm in a B&O forum.

But I would have thought that more of you people should have cars like Alfa Romeo? Design, dynamics and driving pleasure.

As a second (or third) car I have an old Alfa Romeo GTV6 2,5. .I love this car, the sound of the engine and the feeling I get when driving a (long and) winding road. I hardly use it (shame on me), but I could never sell it.

Any fellow Alfistis in here?

BV10, Avant DVD, BL5, BL4000, BS2300, BV6-26, MX 4002, 2xBeocom 6000, LC2

• 03-27-2008 1:01 PM In reply to

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

Dont know if my motor could be called an "old" car but its certainly different.

sandy

• 03-27-2008 2:31 PM In reply to

Lovely cars, you lot!!  Up until recently I was the proud owner of a '91 Porsche 928 GT which I loved, however I changed jobs and lost my company vehicle and so I had to get something I could use daily. I bought an Alfa Romeo GTV V6 which, so far, I am thoroughly impressed with. It has the full red leather interior and feels very italian inside, and the handling is unbelieveably good. Point to point I dare say it would give my 928 a run for its money despite the 928 being over 100 hp up on the Alfa! 

Here is my old (and rather dirty) 928:

• 03-27-2008 2:57 PM In reply to

My uncle has been restoring these old British sports cars for a long time. We've never had much of an argument, although I mostly think of them as silly little bathtubs Laughing

This is what I've been driving (in summer) for the last 11 years:

-mika

• 03-27-2008 4:12 PM In reply to

Llewelyn:

Lovely cars, you lot!!  Up until recently I was the proud owner of a '91 Porsche 928 GT which I loved, however I changed jobs and lost my company vehicle and so I had to get something I could use daily. I bought an Alfa Romeo GTV V6 which, so far, I am thoroughly impressed with. It has the full red leather interior and feels very italian inside, and the handling is unbelieveably good. Point to point I dare say it would give my 928 a run for its money despite the 928 being over 100 hp up on the Alfa! 

Here is my old (and rather dirty) 928:

Nice - I've always hankered after a 928 myself. Not sure I'd like to pay the petrol bills at the moment though ;)

• 03-27-2008 4:29 PM In reply to

• darren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 164
    • Bronze Member

Always wanted a 928 myself but last year got something a little newer.......

Shame that I have to let it go soon as it is not very practical for my lifestyle at the moment

• 03-27-2008 5:13 PM In reply to

darren:

Always wanted a 928 myself but last year got something a little newer.......

Shame that I have to let it go soon as it is not very practical for my lifestyle at the moment

Nice Darren - I like it in BRG :)

Who cares about practicality though? With your job you should have a Land Rover Defender or something, but the Jag is way cooler. 

• 03-27-2008 5:24 PM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

I want to play too.... Here's my 928.

And here is my daily driver.... 1985 500SEL 5.6 with SEC nose conversion

So yes.... I really like old cars!

• 03-27-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

ben12345:

Cool reg plate on the 928 :) 

• 03-27-2008 5:47 PM In reply to

• darren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 164
    • Bronze Member

j0hnbarker:
    darren:

Who cares about practicality though? With your job you should have a Land Rover Defender or something, but the Jag is way cooler. 

Hi j0hn, hope all is well in yorkshire. How is the collecting going?

My car is similar to BRG but a little lighter, its Jaguar Racing Green.

Not getting a Defender, even though a series III could be cool, but actually looking for a Range Rover.

Or get a cheap run around and a pair of Lab 5's mmmmm, now there's an idea.

• 03-27-2008 5:48 PM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

Thanks....

It isn't technically legal, but i've not been pulled over for it so far and its been through several MOT's. I dont think most people around my area even know how an irish plate should be spaced. It should read CLZ  9928.

• 03-27-2008 6:46 PM In reply to

darren:
    j0hnbarker:
    darren:

Hi j0hn, hope all is well in yorkshire. How is the collecting going?

My car is similar to BRG but a little lighter, its Jaguar Racing Green.

Not getting a Defender, even though a series III could be cool, but actually looking for a Range Rover.

Or get a cheap run around and a pair of Lab 5's mmmmm, now there's an idea.

Not too bad thanks Darren. Last thing through the door was my Avant, but you know I was looking for one for a long time!

I've always liked Range Rovers. If you're after the classic shape, and own your own oil refinery, try looking at an Overfinch with the huge Chevy V8 dropped in. You won't be disappointed, though you'll also be unlikely to be able to drive to France in one either!

Lab 5s, eh? Thought you were a paid up member of the Beolab 5000 appreciation society?

ben12345 - I thought it loooked like a Northern Irish plate with some imaginative spacing going on :) 

• 03-27-2008 7:00 PM In reply to

ben12345:

Very nice! I like the Merc too! I had a 500 SEC for a while which was great, although absolutely huge for little 5"7"" me! :)

I actually prefer the earlier style 928's - Before the GT I had an '83 928S, in gold with a dark chocolate brown full leather interior - So period! ... It wasn't as quick (3spd automatic) but was a great, comfortable GT car as well as being lazy round town. I will definately buy another at some point! Tell me more about yours!

• 03-28-2008 4:02 AM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

Llewelyn,

Its a 1984 928 S2, so its the 4 speed auto, with the hotter engine (310 hp). Its been modified with an '88 S4 autobox and rear end, so the acceleration is amazing! although it now rev's alot higher at cruise. I love the earlier styling, the more chisled nose section and old school rear lights. The colour is a metallic black, special ordered when new. It wasn't an official Porsche colour, but they allowed the customer to take a sample of colour to be matched on the car... at great expense.

I've had it about 3 years now, spent most of that time in my garage, bringing the maintinance up to date!

Page 2 of 4 (80 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >