in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-03-2009 7:47 PM by Evan. 79 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (80 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-09-2008 6:42 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hertfordshire United Kingdom
    • Posts 136
    • Bronze Member

Re: Anyone like old cars?

I love the wheels on the blue 928.

The W126 is rather nice as well especially with that bodykit and the SEC nose looks good on it as well. Painting all the plastic trim is IMHO very classy. 

Kind Regards Toby
    I better do my bit and suspend my siggy.
  • 04-24-2008 11:37 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

A friend of mine has a Renault Caravelle from 1962 (see picture). Cool car. He is going to pic Sabrina and me up from the church the day of our marriage with that car...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-24-2008 12:50 PM In reply to

tournedos:

My uncle has been restoring these old British sports cars for a long time. We've never had much of an argument, although I mostly think of them as silly little bathtubs Laughing

This is what I've been driving (in summer) for the last 11 years:

Very cool car tournedos! I would love to have one similar to this some day.

• 08-26-2008 11:49 AM In reply to

As a footnote to this post that I started last year, I had to say goodbye to my very nice 1972 MG BGT yesterday evening. Sold to the first person to come and view (very nice guy from up the road in Haworth), the cash in the bank will now be spent on boring things like mortgage payments, petrol, pencils and baked beans when I start my medical training at the University of Sheffield in 4 weeks' time.

Goodbye old friend - I'll remember the good times we had together, like the trip to Whitby in May when you tried your best (and managed) not to overheat in the scorching weather, those dark winter nights in the garage looking for that elusive earth fault on one of your number plate lights, and your constant willingness to be driven one more time round the block rather than taking the direct route home :(

Me and Pudsey (your backseat driving friend) won't ever forget you. Sniff.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-26-2008 4:12 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Sorry to hear you have sold your MGB. When you have passed all you exams and qualified, you will just have to buy another.Wink On the subject of old cars. Whilst I was out on the bike Saturday, I saw an absolutely mint Sunbeam Lotus. Can't remember the last time I saw one on the road.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 08-26-2008 4:38 PM In reply to

Craig:

Sorry to hear you have sold your MGB. When you have passed all you exams and qualified, you will just have to buy another.Wink On the subject of old cars. Whilst I was out on the bike Saturday, I saw an absolutely mint Sunbeam Lotus. Can't remember the last time I saw one on the road.

CraigSmile

Thanks Craig - will have to wait at least 6 years until I qualify, but then I'll have a look around for another classic. Might have had my fill of MGs now though - next up I'd like a Jensen Interceptor :)

I love Sunbeam Lotus's. There used to be one on my parent's street when I was a kid. They were the first proper 'mental' hot hatch, in the Clio V6 mould, if you know what I mean. Bloke over the road from me now has a Lotus Carlton, but never takes it out for some reason.... 

• 08-26-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I'm sorry to hear about your sad loss too John. I was nearly welling up when I read your post. Strange how cars become family members, isn't it.
    I never had a brand new car until I became an instructor, and you'd think you'd have fond feelings towards a new car which you have laid out so much money for.  You don't!
    I feel much more for my first car, the Ford Corsair which I towed for miles trying to bump start with its rotor arm still lying on the inner wing!
    Or my Humber Super-Snipe 3 litre, with its 8 track stereo, even though you had to clean the filters every couple of weeks due to the flaking paint on the inside of the fuel tank.
    Or my Mk3 Cortina GXL that cost me a day of my holiday in Cornwall, looking round scrapyards for an exhaust manifold.
    Or my XJS V12 Jag which is sitting patiently in the garage (since 1999) waiting for me to get a round tuit.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-26-2008 6:36 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Jandyt:
    Or my XJS V12 Jag which is sitting patiently in the garage (since 1999) waiting for me to get a round tuit.

Your Jag is great for leaning against when having a fig though Andy.LaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 08-26-2008 6:37 PM In reply to

Thanks Andy - Pudsey is in mourning at the moment, and is wearing a black eye patch ;)

Of all the cars you mentioned, I bet your old Humber was an interesting one. Was that the model with the 20ft wide front seat and a column shift, or is my hazy memory of absorbing every Classic and Sportscar issue from '88-'95 as a kid/teenager let me down?

Hey - at least I'm not mourning the loss of my Pentas, or something B&O related :) 

• 08-26-2008 6:56 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

You're not wrong Craig! You've benn there, done that.
    Correct John!
    Three gears, column shift, petrol cap was the rear reflector in disguise. 3 foot socket extension needed to get the plugs out!
    Intermittent wipers!!!!   Illuminated fig lighter!!!  Map reading lights on flexible arms!!!
    Mine was one of only two ever made, it was a hearse! That would have got some attention on the way to Valencia! Especially painted pink!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-27-2008 2:08 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:
    Craig:

I saw an absolutely mint Sunbeam Lotus. Can't remember the last time I saw one on the road.

CraigSmile

Thanks Craig - will have to wait at least 6 years until I qualify, but then I'll have a look around for another classic. Might have had my fill of MGs now though - next up I'd like a Jensen Interceptor :)

I like the Sunbeam Lotus too. Plenty of power and real wheel drive. Only about 2,500 were made and I've seen it only once here in Holland, but that was ages ago.

The Interceptor is a great car too. A bit thirsty, though...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 08-27-2008 5:35 AM In reply to

Quality stuff Andy - I bet it was like piloting a very luxurious barge, particularly with the on board fig lighter ;)

Beocool - an Interceptor would be very nice, but I'd need my own oilfield I think :)

• 04-11-2009 4:52 PM In reply to

I've somehow missed this thread until now, but after salivating over the 928s and the Spyder, thinking of the GT6 I almost px'd my Herald for, and feeling the loss of John's MGBGT,  I thought I'd share a pic of my current wheels: 

She's going back to her correct silver, and having a few sillies fixed, but other than that....love her to bits Smile

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 04-12-2009 6:37 AM In reply to

Calvin:

I would kill to own a Pontiac Firebird. Preferably an 84 model. The worst bit is that in another year or so, I'll be able to afford one, but I won't be able to afford to park it anywhere in central London. When it happens though, the weekend plan is to drive to France for some cases of Coors beer (*very* loosely recreating the idea of Smokey & The Bandid)... One can only dream for now

I prefer the "Bandit" TransAm's to the "KITT" shape, but they're still a good looking car.  I'd like  Bandit replica (and the money to afford the fuel!), though it's a bit different to my '79 Citroen CX... Smile

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 04-12-2009 8:39 AM In reply to

rayfenwick:

Calvin:

I would kill to own a Pontiac Firebird. Preferably an 84 model. The worst bit is that in another year or so, I'll be able to afford one, but I won't be able to afford to park it anywhere in central London. When it happens though, the weekend plan is to drive to France for some cases of Coors beer (*very* loosely recreating the idea of Smokey & The Bandid)... One can only dream for now

I prefer the "Bandit" TransAm's to the "KITT" shape, but they're still a good looking car.  I'd like  Bandit replica (and the money to afford the fuel!), though it's a bit different to my '79 Citroen CX... Smile

oh my. reminds me of not one, but two stories about both bandit and kitt.

i happened to attend prep school w/ jackie gleason's son. after one of the films was completed (which one???) circa 1979, his son showed up with, you guessed it -one of the extra bandit cars from the film. i guess they must have had a dozen or so for filming to counter damage, setups, etc... and the 3 or 4 that survived were distributed to cast/crew.

a few years later (mid-80's) a large pontiac dealer near me and about the same story (though i do not remember the exact connection). regardless, there sat 1 of the show extras. a few miles, and a few bumps and bruises, but the real thing. it must have been a wide shot/driving car, as it didn't have all of the "kitt kit" but enough of the goods for those kinds of shots. it was available to the public, and i seem to remember it was somewhere less than 20k usd at the time.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-14-2009 2:10 AM In reply to

I too like old cars very much.

I have 2 famous italian old cars:

The first is a 1994 Lancia Delta integrale pealr white:

....very powerfully! Amazing to drive.

The second, is the car of my wife, a pretty 1966 Fiat 500:

• 05-14-2009 3:18 AM In reply to

emabonacchi:

Both very nice!  The Delta Integrale is an animal Smile

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 05-14-2009 10:47 PM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

So many nice cars, its really great so see!  My old car is a 1971 300SEL 6.3, its a lovely car with great performance for its age and with its air suspension (a standard factory fitment) arguably rides better than most cars of today...nicer ride than our E430 that's for sure.

• 05-20-2009 11:43 AM In reply to

emabonacchi:

Your Integrale is beautiful! Some more pictures please :)

• 05-20-2009 2:08 PM In reply to

I like that Integrale. Yes -  thumbs up BTW are the windscreen wipers standard. I can't remember them looking like that and it's been a while since I last saw one.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 05-21-2009 4:39 AM In reply to

PentaIII:

So many nice cars, its really great so see!  My old car is a 1971 300SEL 6.3, its a lovely car with great performance for its age and with its air suspension (a standard factory fitment) arguably rides better than most cars of today...nicer ride than our E430 that's for sure.

Indeed.  Just watch C' etait un Rendezvous to see that suspension (in a 450SEL 6.9) in action. Although the soundtrack is more musical thanks to the Ferrari 275GTB overdub, the picture would have been unbearably shakey if the Ferrari had been used - if the camera survived at all.

Actually remembering Paris' Roads, I doubt the 275 would have survived either Surprise

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 05-22-2009 9:16 AM In reply to

emabonacchi:

So cool, I like her 1966 Fiat 500 very much. What is the red cylinder in the trunk ?

Have a nice day,

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 05-22-2009 12:23 PM In reply to

GuyHui :

emabonacchi:

So cool, I like her 1966 Fiat 500 very much. What is the red cylinder in the trunk ?

Have a nice day,

Guy

That's the fuel tank!

• 05-22-2009 6:17 PM In reply to

Thanks, I just love this car !

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 06-01-2009 4:28 AM In reply to

• villarsch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Frinton-on-Sea, Great Britain
    • Posts 37
    • Founder

Back in the 1960s I had a 20/25 Rolls-Royce James Young sports saloon; I can't remember the reg number, but the all-important chassis nuber was GHA 3.  This was replaces by one of the last pre-war Bentleys, which featured the overdrive gearbox.  This was introduced because too many owners were blowing up their engines on the then-new autobahns!  I then had two E-types, which were ideal for passing police cars when doing 130 mph (quite legally) on the autobahn. 

Advancing years (I don't have to pay the UKTV poll-tax) so I now have a Mercedes C43. A great Q-car, particularly as the rear badges have been renmoved. 

Next car?  SWMBO  will probably have a much greater say on this, but she does like driving behind a three=pointed star.

Villarsch

Page 3 of 4 (80 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >