in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-07-2007 10:06 AM by Bulgarien. 101 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (102 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2007 1:18 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Re: The Serenata has launched!

I disagree, quite often you come across a good track and maybe want to let a friend or two listen. Last weekend I was in a friend's car and the radio was broken. I'd have killed for a laptop or something like this to play some music for those 100 miles
  • 10-01-2007 1:19 PM In reply to

Well guys! It's been great to see the official site today. I wonder how Lee has got on with the boss.

I must say the site is very nice and is very informative. As to the main deal about the cell phone, well I'm certainly not grabbed by it until I have a go with one myself. Reason being the touch-wheel for SMS messaging would seem to be an utter pain in the backside from what I can assume.

My dealer has told me the speaker is truly sensational considering the size of the thing, and even more so when compared to the awful internal speakers found on every other cell phone in the world!

But what really seems to be a little confusing to me right here is, why are B&O releasing BeoSound 6 if the Serenata is truly aimed to be 2 devices in one?
    And finally why are A8s not included in the accessories if the Serenata is supposed to be a portable music player as well? Does anyone know if you can even plug in a pair of A8s into the Serenata?

Forgive me for noting all the negative points out first. On the positive side of things, I do like the design of the Serenata and I'm interested to see how really big it looks and feels in the palm of my hand when my dealer has it in stock. Oh and I love the table charger!

............. but if the estimated 1400 Euro is true, then the Serenata really is going to have a lot of impressing to do when I see one for real!

• 10-01-2007 1:27 PM In reply to

• 10-01-2007 1:30 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Sold.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-01-2007 1:31 PM In reply to

Wow it does look pretty big in that photo! The size of the screen seems out of scale with the rest of the device.
  • 10-01-2007 1:43 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Okay, I'm probably going to get hell for this: I didn't like the Serene, and I can't say I'm a fan of Serenata. the site os fabulous. Using Jan Garbarek (among others) in the background is wonderful, and it does give on the whole an ethereal feel. The phone is an improvement from the serene (as I believe clamshells are dead), the UI is different, and seems more userfriendly, and unique. The use of sensi-touch aluminum is great as well, BUT... and here's the big BUT... the whole "idea" of using the phone as a speaker to listen to music isn't well thought out. I haven't heard it live, but how good could it be for such a phone, and under what circumstances would one use it in that fashion?

Oh well, let the flames fly!

-Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 10-01-2007 1:59 PM In reply to

Henry:
    Reason being the touch-wheel for SMS messaging would seem to be an utter pain in the backside from what I can assume.
    I´m afraid you´re right. Hearing "touchscreen" I thought at first there has to be some kind of iPhone-like keyboard. But way wrong. On the site there is demo af writing a sms via the scroll wheel, this is not good. By the way: Does somebody know how to change the language of the serenata page, the german translation is quite, hm, "special".Regards, beoberlin
  • 10-01-2007 2:10 PM In reply to

From what I can read on the French presentation, the display is touch-sensitive! So dialing a number or writing an SMS seems to be made by pressing on the display that comes to life with either a retro-style dial for numbering, or a combination of letters & characters for SMSing. look at the presentation under the "phone" section, you'll see the square display with a phone dial wheel...

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 10-01-2007 2:33 PM In reply to

Ah, I think I´m wrong. Under phone_functions_experience (if I´m translating correctly) it´s said that writing sms and dialing numbers works via  the touch-sensitive display. That´s nice...Thanks!Regards, beoberlin
  • 10-01-2007 2:35 PM In reply to

• misled
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 66
    • Bronze Member

yes, i have ordered one today!!! Party!!!

BVision10-46,BLab11,BSound5,BMaster5,BLab8000,BLab6000,BLab2500,BCom5,BCom6000,BeoTime,BeoPort,Beo4,Beo5

• 10-01-2007 2:43 PM In reply to

Congrats, how long until the big day?
  • 10-01-2007 3:06 PM In reply to

• misled
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 66
    • Bronze Member

i hope for christmas

BVision10-46,BLab11,BSound5,BMaster5,BLab8000,BLab6000,BLab2500,BCom5,BCom6000,BeoTime,BeoPort,Beo4,Beo5

• 10-01-2007 3:17 PM In reply to

Sal, another hell no from me too..

Just totally not what I expect from B&O.... 

• 10-01-2007 3:31 PM In reply to

eduard:
    mobeyone:

Sal, another hell no from me too..

Just totally not what I expect from B&O.... 

Well what did you expect then??

Something sleek and different instead of a combination of recycled ideas which offers nothing new to the market.

Wheres the innovation? and design? its probably one of the most ugly phones out there at the moment! The serene looks way advanced in terms of design over this!

I have had a bad day! and of course.. only my opinon!

• 10-01-2007 3:43 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Mobe!
    Get a grip, it's gorgeousParadise
    If only I wasn't so skint at the moment. I'll have to start selling some more Beocom 6000sWink

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-01-2007 3:44 PM In reply to

• Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 20
    • Founder

Well, at least its design is "different" Surprise. But why a combination of click wheel and touch screen? Looks like if B&O and Samsung could not decide what kind of user interface to use.

- Mike 

• 10-01-2007 3:51 PM In reply to

I wouldn't say it's ugly, but I certainly agree with Mobe that the Serene looks much better! The Serene is very slique and stylish by design. And perhaps more to the point, there really isn't anything outstanding and NEW in my opinion. We can already buy a cell phone + MP3 device. The aluminium touch wheel is just iPod, and everything else seems pretty ordinary.

Just my opinion, but will be interesting to have a go sometime soon.

• 10-01-2007 3:54 PM In reply to

Seriously Andy, it does nothing for me!!!

Its something I expected say 5 years ago but now.. the serene looks so much better in comparison!

Looks like they called it quits and just released the phone hoping to compete with the itouch but its a no goer from the start imo.

Lacks the wow factor..

• 10-01-2007 4:08 PM In reply to

For the look, it is a matter of taste, i like the serenata much better than the serene. Let's not forget that we did not like the Beolab 9 until we've seen them in the flesh.

In term of ease of use and innovation, other B&O speciality, i think it is a real B&O product. The ICEPower amplifier in such a small form factor is something new.

I would buy it if I was not going to buy an iPhone... 

• 10-01-2007 4:18 PM In reply to

• Guy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 80
    • Founder

I would say TWO YEAR to late !

Guy 

• 10-01-2007 4:21 PM In reply to

I have to agree. I will reserve judgement fully until I see it but first impressions aren't that appealing to me. I think the ring tones certainly could have been a lot different to that of their predecessor. As has been stated, it does look like many other phones out there. I think the dedicated website was implemented very well and smartly and strategically created a lot of excitement and anticipation for a new product but through it all I don't really see much in the way of what I would term 'B&O innovation.' Having said that, the BeoSound 3 and the BeoVision 7 were products that I didn't like much either at the beginning but they have since grown on me - the magic of B&O - so we'll see what happens with the Serenata. What I would say is that the Serene has certainly grown a lot more on me now! Watch this space.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 10-01-2007 4:26 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

If they are after "the guy who has everything" market then they've probably met their design brief. It looks different enough to everything else to be instantly recognisable (watch out for it in the hands of an image concious celeb some time very soon - i.e. Beckhams etc or worse still celebs in their own minds - Goody, Katona etc).

Its price will keep it exclusive while the iphone will be owned by all the "street level - must have everything new" types.

I know I sound jaded but is either really the answer to the phone/mp3 player application - I don't think so. Both are just too big to be everyday phones - they are designed to be noticed. How many will carry either as an everyday convienience tool be used for their own gratification rather than as something to be seen with?

Sorry!

(Grumpy of Durham)

p.s. I do think it is a much, much better attempt than the Serene.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-01-2007 4:59 PM In reply to

I became skeptical about B&O and mobile phones after the Serene. Let's not forget that one of the biggest flaws of Serene was it's inability to synchronize with PC and Mac. 

I'm more enthusiastic with the Serenata now. However for that price I'm expecting some elegant synchronizing features (contacts and calendar), especially with the Mac. B&O consistently ignores Mac compatibility, although they have many Mac users their community. Software Updates should be available in the long term.

It's design and the presentation on the website is very successful. I would like to know which materials they used. The Serene had too much plastic.

• 10-01-2007 7:05 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

"The Serene had to much plastic"
    Shock, horror!!
    The over all feel of the Serene is nothing short of fantastic.
    Mine has been in my pocket now for a year and it looks like new and feels like a mini BV8.
    I just love the feel.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 2 of 5 (102 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >