in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-04-2007 2:42 AM by Dillen. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-31-2007 3:24 PM

Broken Beocord 8004

I was fortunate enough to find a Beocord 8004 at a garage sale for $20.  It's owner said that the last time she used it (a couple years ago), it was working fine, but when I took it home and plugged it in the cassettes would not play.  I don't think she was lying because she did offer to give me my money back if it didn't work.  It appears to be in good condition (no scratches or water marks to suggest that it was abused). 

When I go to play a cassette, I put the cassette in, push it down until it clicks, and press play.  The heads move out to engage the cassette, but almost instantly snap back.  It won't rewind, fast forward, or play.  There is no sound of a motor running.  I hope that I am doing something wrong.  I looked online for a manual, but the only one I could find was in danish.  

Thank you.

Filed under:
  • 07-31-2007 3:42 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: Broken Beocord 8004

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    The user manal and the service manual are both listed on this site and are in English. You need to be a gold or silver member to view these.
    The extra benefit is that you will be entered in the monthly prize draw too. I won a fantastic Beosystem last month.

Andy T,

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-31-2007 4:40 PM In reply to

I'm not so much looking for the manual, as I am looking to find out whether or not I am using it correctly.  It's not playing, which means either I'm being stupid, or the thing's broken.  I would appreciate it if somebody could either quote the part of the manual that tells you how to play cassettes, or at least confirm that I am doing the right thing.
  • 07-31-2007 4:41 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Sounds like the drive belts have perished and broken with age. Martin who goes by the name of Dillen on the Forum does do some Beocord belt kits. If it is the belts then it may be worth dropping him a PM. Also as Andy has suggested Upgrade to Gold or Silver and download the Manuals. Well worth getting it going again.

CraigBig Smile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-31-2007 4:44 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Well the manual basically says put the Cassette in and press play. So I cannot see that you can go wrong. Always worth checking though.

CraigSmile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-31-2007 4:59 PM In reply to

My dad thought it was the belts as well.  But I looked at http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/post/28606.aspx before, and it says:

Dillen:

...If you can hear the motor running by placing your ear to the deck but the tapeheads won't engage (or has become stuck with a tape loaded), the deck is begging for new belts....

The tape heads engage, they just disengage immediately afterwards.  Also, I can't hear the motor running.  How easy is it to take apart to check the belts? and are there any online guides.

Thank you. 

• 07-31-2007 5:40 PM In reply to

Hi:

I have a similar problem with my Beocord 9000. Do search for this thread in the WorkBench section of the forum.

As one very knowledgeable member suggested, the motor is probably gone. The brushes may have failed and short circuited. Fortunately the driver circuitry is protected by a 250mA slow blow fuse and replacing the motor is fairly easy.

I have not checked availability / cost for the motor however.

Derek

• 07-31-2007 9:17 PM In reply to

Since it seems that the problem is with the tape deck (and not with me), I'm wondering if anybody has any information about taking apart the system.  I found a pdf with the electrical schematics online, but no equivalent for the mechanical side.

Thanks again for all your help thus far.

• 08-01-2007 3:16 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

chaosgame:

The tape heads engage, they just disengage immediately afterwards.  Also, I can't hear the motor running.  How easy is it to take apart to check the belts? and are there any online guides.

Thank you. 

Classic signs of broken or worn belts - or possibly a dead motor but less likely.

What happens is the solenoids for the tape heads engage and if no motion is sensed within a second or so (broken/worn belts or dead motor) then they automatically disengage.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-01-2007 3:54 AM In reply to

The service manual is not on site but I may have it. If I do, I will scan it and stick it on site in the next week.
  • 08-01-2007 6:00 PM In reply to

Hi: 

The Beocord can be taken apart relatively easily, but as a cautionary, I hope that you do have good technical skills. I've come across many B&O pieces previously in mint cosemetic condition but damaged/marred by well intentioned but unskilled people trying to repair them and end up doing more harm than good. The 8000 series are a really nice tape decks. I'm not suggesting anything about your capabilities since I don't know you ...just be gentle and careful :)

Here goes... at the back of the 8004 (upper left and right corners) there are two fairly larged sized screws. You need to take them out quite a ways.. maybe 1/2 - 1 inch. They don't need to come out all of the way. With the deck in normal position facing your body the top cover will simply fold out.

There are 3 screws (I think) that hold the casette mechanism inside to the chassis. You need to remove the cassette mechanism in order to inspect/change the belts.

Be VERY careful when handling the cassette mechanism. There are a a few very delicate reed switches across the top edge used to detect the tape type. These switches are exposed and can be very easily bent and damaged.

Good luck,

Derek

• 08-04-2007 2:42 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The quote you found ("...If you can hear the motor running by placing your ear to the deck but the tapeheads won't engage (or has become stuck with a tape loaded), the deck is begging for new belts....") was for the Beocord 2000/3300/5000 family of tapedecks.
    These decks engage the tapeheads through belt-driven mechanics.

Your Beocord 8004 uses a solenoid and it will engage the heads regardless of the belts.
    If the tape reels doesn't spin though (if the belts are slipping or off), the electronics will issue a
    stop command - just like when the tape end has been reached.

The old belts can end up a complete mess and block the motor so
    could need freeing up and cleaning.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)