in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-10-2012 2:56 PM by meurton. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-29-2012 7:30 AM

Beogram 1700 some tonearm (height) placement isues

Hello,

I've been searching the internet for quite some while now for my issues. I have found my issue twice, both times unanswered. So perhaps its an easy solution, or an impossible one.

I recently purchased a beogram 1700 in not too great condition, I more or less rescued it from the bin. But all the mechanisms seem too work.

However,

When the tonearm is in its resting position it almost hits the aluminium. When I purchased it the problem was it had hit the deck. I have adapted this by raising the tiny support screw at the base of the tonearm. (this littlescrew rests on the  'thing' that is being raised  or lowered). My tonearm now sits horizontally at the base, but when I press play the tonearm turns to the record, while being raised and now is about 1 cm above the record. This seems to high for me, especially compared to the beogram 1600 i have.

Comparted to my beogram 1600 the arm is raised when approaching the platter (and the more you move the arm manually to the center the more it is raised). I found somewhere on the net that it is normal for a 1700 tonearm to do this. But how high should the arm be in rest position, and how high before beeing slightly dropped on the record?

The second issue is that the after playing the arm swings back but does not stop at a 90 degree angle with the deck. It moves too far. In some other manuals i found that the stop position could be adusted, however i dont know where to adjust such a thing on my deck. (i have located the two asymetric screws for adjusting the drop position for 45's and 33's, and the landing is not an issue, so this is not an option?: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/39785.aspx).  I have a manual which does not mention such a thing.

What i have done is lubricating the pot which lowers and raises the arm. I think thats not the problem as the arm does not skate across the record or anything. What seems to be the problem is that the arm is dropped to much when moving away from the record. I have search the www and so far did not find anything that could help.

Any tips, or expereriences with the height of the tonearm are really appreciated.

I want to get this thing perfectly running, cause my beogram 1600 does not play my 33rpm singles, or 45 rpm 17inch (hardcorepunk and dance). It does play my stones records fine though.

Thanks in advance!

• 01-29-2012 1:35 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 1700 some tonearm (height) placement isues

Welcome to the forum

Adjust the tonearm hights, place the tonearm manually over the starting point of a 33 record, Adjust the hight to 5 Mm from record.

If the arm in rest pos. is not level with the deck, you will have to open it and check for worn or damaged parts in the mecanism, the parallel pos. when in rest pos. can be adjusted by bending the arm that pulls the pick up arm to rest pos. after bending you will have to adjust the set down points again, this from memory, but check the mecanism for worn parts and clean and lubricate before adjusting anything.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 02-10-2012 10:58 AM In reply to

Thank you for your reaction and welcome.

Today I have found time again to attack the problem. After a closer inspection I found that the lowering of the arm over the aluminum compared to over the vinyl is there by design. The little screw which determines the height of the tonearm fals into a little 'dip' when approaching the parallel resting position.

I had a choice,  either having a too speedy downward movement, or a arm almost scratching the aluminum. I adjusted the arm to 5 mm above the record, and put a tiny piece of ducttape in the dip, so the arm is acceptable in the resting position. Perhaps not the most 'bang' solution, but it works.

Now the second issue, of the arm not reaching a parallel position. I found that most of the time the arm does not overextend but stops before the correct position. In that case, instead of shorterning the thin metal arm I should extend it? It seems a bit strange as the arm is able to move farther. It is as the extention on the white turningwheel (directly under the platter) does not move the one end of the arm far enough. (note that this issue was there before my ducttape fix!).

So my question, in the case of the tonearm not moving far enough back to its resting position, should the small metal arm be extended? Or is there another solution? (I have tried it to some extend, but i do not want to fiddle too much in the wrong direction...)

In addition, After fooling some around with that arm, I re- tested the drop positions.  There I found that the raise up point on one of my singles is too quick. This is a single which should be played in 33rpm mode. The final gitarstroke is missing. In 45 rpm mode the tonearm does raises correct.

Can i change the point when the tonearm raises and moves away from the platter? Would it be by moving the starting point further away?

So far as i can see all parts work correct, nothing is broken off.

Thanks in advance

• 02-10-2012 2:30 PM In reply to

It sounds more to me like a lubrication problem now, make sure that the Pickup arm shaft is lubicated and moves free, then play records or provoke the functions a lot of times and see if the functions change or stay the same, the stop and return point (end of record) is actuated by 15S2 I think, but bending the "pull arm" will not change the stop point, some records are cut very close to the return point, so if its only one record that gives you problems, dont fiddle, leave it as is.

As for the "dip" in the guide piece, non of my decks has it.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 02-10-2012 2:56 PM In reply to

I think indeed that the record is somewhat off-standard. Seems that it has more innergrooves than other 7 inches. Not gonna fiddle for that.

A good point about lubricating the arm. I understand how that could have some friction. Will look into that. I think if it would glide more smoothly, the push from the white gear would have more impact.

About  the 'dip', perhaps usefull information for someone else. It seems that it is not wearing. Perhaps I did not explain correct which part it is. It is the part that sits on top of a spring, which can be pulled down (to lower and raise the tonearm). The tonearm rests on this round part by a slot (flat) screw, the kind which consist solely of screwthread.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)