in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-19-2011 4:15 PM by Larskoelle. 61 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-05-2011 7:43 AM In reply to

Re: Isn't it time for a "new" Beolab 5?

White BL 5 looks fine, but it doesn't fit with my living room. Aluminium instead of the dominating black could be a solution for me (and my one and only lovely wife), but production would be very difficult.

/Räuber
  • 09-05-2011 10:59 AM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all the replies. I do have millions of questions thou. I'll try to limit to a few more if I may.

The web site states that this speaker could be positioned near a corner. In my case one of them would -2 to 3 feet. Does anyone have had such experience to share?
  • 09-05-2011 11:34 AM In reply to

Mine are only about 40-50cm from the walls, works just fine due to the calibration. Sure they sound better when they get a bit of air around them.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 09-05-2011 12:07 PM In reply to

bayerische:

beocool:

Raeuber:
    Hi bayerische,

it not only depends on the neighboors, but also on wife, my wife also hates the look of Beolab 5, so I'm not allowed to buy them (without changing wife).

/Räuber

That's probably why I'm single. Big Smile

Laughing

Can't say my wife loves mine, but mine are white, and that always helps.... Big Smile

Mine are black. Now I know what I've been doing wrong Big SmileStick out tongue

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 09-05-2011 12:17 PM In reply to

bayerische:

Mine are only about 40-50cm from the walls, works just fine due to the calibration. Sure they sound better when they get a bit of air around them.

About the same over here and I have the sam observation.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 09-05-2011 1:51 PM In reply to

Sound just fine close to the wall.

Sound ok in small rooms too and dont fill too much space either.

• 09-05-2011 4:04 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

You have been very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Please, this is my last question, and perhaps its what worries me the most: I am not sure about the connection options fir a non B&O pre-pro.

I have a Denon a1hdci processor and this device does not have digital outs, as far as I know. My understanding is that the BL5 accepts incoming sound throughout analog RCA cable. If that's correct, what are the compromises by doing this? Are the speakers performing the room correction still after the analog inputs (> D/A)?

thanks again.
  • 09-05-2011 9:04 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Please disregard my last post. I am now reading the BL5 users manual I found online.

However, I am sorry to say that unfortunately I will not buy the B&O speakers at this time because of the "need" to use a separate remote control. If it was just me in the apartment i would have maybe dealt with it, but I can't complicate things that should be as normal as pushing just one button on one remote to power the whole system.

Oh well...

• 09-06-2011 5:02 AM In reply to

To answer your question: The only upgrade of the Beolab 5 is adding ANOTHER Pair of Beolab 5's :-)

The 5's are perfect the way they are in every aspect and B&O have to concentrate on the other end of their product portfolio

The current portfolio needs more entry level products to get new customers not a Beolab X which is above the 5's or below the 5's... In terms of speakers the B&O portfolio is very well positioned from updated classics (6002 / 8002) to smaller space saving solutions ( 4000 / 4 / 3 ) to above midrange (9) and finally the flagships (5s) also add 2 differen subwoofers, in-wall speakers and center speakers.

Anyway if B&O will develop someting to replace or to be above the 5's with the same radical approach for a reasonable price (not talking cheap here...) I'm in!

Stephan

• 09-06-2011 6:13 AM In reply to

because of the many possibilties doing the "set up" of the BL5s - is there a chance doing this on my own or do I always need an expert helping me? 

• 09-06-2011 9:07 AM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Yes, Why not another Beolab 5? Perhaps with an hdmi connection? It would make life easier.

I don't want to use their remote control for volume control either (by the way, my understanding is that even with analog connection it would apply) and another for changing a non-beo tv channels. That doesn't simplify things for me.
  • 09-06-2011 10:28 AM In reply to

Honestly, I think you got a little "fuzzy" about the Beolab 5's suddenly...

I'm guessing you have a bunch of different branded equipment, since I can't recall Denon making a TV set. Why not just get a universal remote? The higher end ones can handle the different frequency of B&O remotes, or you get a Beo6, have Keith program it for you, and voila! you have a B&O remote that turn heads, and can control all your equipment.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 09-07-2011 7:24 AM In reply to

Hi Andreas,

Im getting some lab5s once my renovation is done. Does the Beo6 need some modification/go between to control other equipment? I have a Pioneer quipment, B and O and Foxtel (australian pay tv) and would love a universal B &O remote.  Whos Keith?

Thanks for any insights Andreas.

JR

• 09-07-2011 8:39 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

There is no need for a new Beolab 5.

What should be improved? All my life I thought about speakers, listened to "new" speakers, wishing new speakers...since I got my BL5s about five years ago. BL5s are small - yes, as a 4way active speaker set with built in 2500 W amps and a 15 inch woofer, they are very small - They sound great, they are easy to set up - thanks to the calibration system and acoustic lenses.

Why not a "pro"-version of BL5 with balanced inputs and maybe external amps and a special woofer with 2x15 inch woofers to match different studio facilities and control rooms? I think Dave Moulton has some BL5s in his studio....

@Beology: Keith is Keith Saunders, expert of the Beo5/6

@Maab: HDMI connection transfers digital picture, audio and hdcp. BL5 just need digital audio - spdif.

Why not use a Beo4/5/6 for your equipmment? Just use an IR converter like the TT455 box from Lintronic. www.lintronic.dk

@Mr10Percent: a nice clean setup - congratulations! My BL5s are also close to the wall (about 50 cm). Sounds great...

Stefan

• 09-07-2011 10:46 AM In reply to

Beology:

Hi Andreas,

Im getting some lab5s once my renovation is done. Does the Beo6 need some modification/go between to control other equipment? I have a Pioneer quipment, B and O and Foxtel (australian pay tv) and would love a universal B &O remote.  Whos Keith?

Thanks for any insights Andreas.

JR

Yes, you'll need the XML files for the other makes, such as your Pioneer TV.

Keith is our tech guy here, and he offers the Beo5 remote control programming service that can be seen on a banner. I highly recommend him.

-Andreas

• 09-07-2011 10:49 AM In reply to

Nice setup indeed 10%.

Pretty much like mine, except for the Beosound5.

But is that a forrest outside your window? Laughing

-Andreas

• 09-07-2011 2:00 PM In reply to

bayerische:

Nice setup indeed 10%.

Unfortunately I cant choose my neighbours!

The flat is very small. The lounge is only 5mx3m but everything seems to work size-wise with the BV10-46 and the BL5s (BL3 at the rears with cheaky Beolink cable going under the BV stand and the rug. Does not seem too for the room for me. Even the GF is happy!

• 09-07-2011 2:00 PM In reply to

bayerische:

Nice setup indeed 10%.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I cant choose my neighbours!

The flat is very small. The lounge is only 5mx3m but everything seems to work size-wise with the BV10-46 and the BL5s (BL3 at the rear on stands with the cheaky Powerlink cable going under the BV stand rug and sofa. Does not seem too much for the room for my liking. Even the GF is happy!

• 10-18-2011 2:52 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Ok, I take that (old post) back. I just purchased a set of beolab 5!!!

• 10-18-2011 3:30 PM In reply to

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

Nice one mate.

I will buy a pair next year after paying off my house extension......!!!

Sandy

• 10-18-2011 3:42 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

...already I can't wait to receive them. 

Inevitable question, please: the dealer says that I don't need the beo4 remote, but I read elsewhere it's a necessity. Any thoughts?

I'm connecting the speakers to a processor via analog input, for now anyway 

• 10-18-2011 5:33 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

stefan:

There is no need for a new Beolab 5.

According to my dealer, a speaker that sits above the BL5 was discussed at the recent dealer conference.

• 10-18-2011 5:59 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Maab:

the dealer says that I don't need the beo4 remote, but I read elsewhere it's a necessity.
    Any thoughts?

If the BLB 5s are brand new, you'll need a Beo4 to enter the PIN-codes as a 1st step
    and to deactivate the PIN protection in a 2nd step.

ATTENTION:
    ONLY ONE speaker should be connected to the mains while entering / deactivating the PIN.

If PIN is not deactivated and mains is interrupted for more than 1/2 hour you'll have to
    reenter the PINs again - impossible wo remote).

If connected via analog line input volume is controlled externally by the external preamp/processor
    and no Beo4 is required for daily use.

Only if connected digitally via SPDIF you'll need a remote for daily use (eg a Beo4) to control the volume. 

• 10-18-2011 6:00 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

That's great! 5 hours after my BL5 purchase...

If it's true, I wouldn't be surprised. Its not the end of the world, but ideally if these speakers where able to process dts, flac, DVDs or whatever it would be a further step above.
  • 10-18-2011 6:02 PM In reply to

Maab:
    I don't recall where I read it, but some people were bashing B&O for using "cheap "Vifa" drivers. But I didn't think they were reliable sources.

There are some people who just love to spread rumors about B&O -don't listen to them! Some just love to hate B&O, because they don't think that something that looks good can actually sound good. Some hi-fi 'fundamentalists' think that hi-fi equipment must be ugly Wink

I have heard "hi-fi" people criticize BL5 -some have never even heard them!!! Some have heard them briefly in a store -maybe not under the right condition. The funny thing is, that these persons are very devoted to furnishing their entire livingroom after their own speakers -and say, that you can not judge the sound only by what you hear at the dealer...but they judge B&O that way Confused
    Talk about 'double standards' and bigotry...Hmm

Page 2 of 3 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >