in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-15-2012 3:45 PM by mbee. 255 replies.
Page 10 of 11 (256 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-10-2011 6:57 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beosound 5 Encore is here...

Have put Encore back on display, enjoying the sound and mots. Finding a specific track is still a chore.

We do have a large selection of tracks, I must admit, customer came in and during the demo started to search for 'Il Divo' under Artists. After spinning the wheel for what seemed like an eternity , the client said ' my hand hurts!'

Good job he wasn't a 'ZZ Top' fan, might have had to take him to A&E :)

BS5 & encore are great, but please please please make finding our customers music easier. (customers words not ours)

• 09-10-2011 9:03 PM In reply to

SWISS_2:
    Appreciate your comments Trip. It does suggest a question of bandwidth usage, and servers. Fortunately our Internet service is quite good: Never a problem before with N.RADIO ( usually SwissPop, Radio Tirol, or ORF Wien ), downloading, and surfing, even all at once.

This was a little peculiar to me, too. So peculiar, in fact, that it took me almost a week to put 2 and 2 together that the Encore was slowing the network. Especially since I'm not streaming from it all the time. The streaming from the NAS seems to affect browsing speed (and even printing speed!) while the N.RADIO function doesn't. 

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has noticed this or if it's unique to my showroom. Not all customers who I've installed it for have a subnet and no one's given me any feedback yet. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-11-2011 6:19 AM In reply to

The Beocom 5 is a classic. I used it for a good 3-4 months and every time I put the phone on to speaker, it hung up on the other person. Basic basic phone functionality (phone + speaker != hanging up on caller)! Luckily it's all sorted now and I love the phone - recommended to all - but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Before owning the Beocom 5's in the office, we used £80 BT phones without a single software issue (and, they had speakers and answerphones). Quality wasn't as good, sure, but they were flawless in operation.

there are still Sw problems with the beocom 5.

Sometimes the phone lost connection with the base....it's a well known problem,every Sw update they try to solved this problem.

With no luck.

• 09-11-2011 6:30 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

koning:

there are still Sw problems with the beocom 5.

Sometimes the phone lost connection with the base....it's a well known problem,every Sw update they try to solved this problem. With no luck.

Then I have this problem too. At least once this week, when I was walking around on the Beocom 5, it hung up on the caller. Luckily the caller re-dialed and I was able to blame the quality of their line, but I was quietly wondering if the Beocom 5 had lost the connection to the base. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

A question though - and I guess this should in in a different thread - do you sometimes hear 1 second phone cut-offs when you're on your Beocom 5, as if it's about to lose the connection to the base, but finds it again? Sounds like it is about to cut-off, but doesn't. I get this from time to time and miss a couple of words spoken by the other person.

The only other thing I sometimes find with my Beocom 5 is that the speakerphone spits and crackles when it's ringing. It's not a dealbreaker or causes any issues, but slightly embarassing after spending so much money on the phone(s).

I also still have that B&O phone problem where the other handset (on the same line) carries on ringing for a few seconds after you've answered one of the phones. This is definitely a B&O issue as I used to use two BT phones (on the same line) before the Beocom 5's and they never did this. Both rang at the same time, but as soon as you answered one BT handset the other stopped ringing immediately!

Other than those issues, I'm happy with the Beocom 5s :)

Also, one other point: a lot of my contacts now use Skype. Often the quality of their line is too poor and they have to redial and, occassionally, ditch Skype and redial using their landline. With this in mind, there are few perfect solutions for making traditional calls, IMHO. 

• 09-11-2011 6:45 AM In reply to

hello!

Its BeoSOUND 5 not BeoCOM 5!

• 09-11-2011 7:02 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

f5434964:

hello!

I may be incorrect, but from the content of the posts, I think they're talking about the Beocom 5 telephone.

Catchy name by the way. Is if 'f' for short?

• 09-11-2011 10:29 AM In reply to

Hi Trip, Your not alone. When I first got the Encore we had the same experience. I thought it might have to do with the fact that we can only get a DSL feed to the shop... nothing better. From the begining we would get network slow down and dropping of internet radio everytime we would get heavy on the computers and have it on. Thankfully are cisco router came a few days later and we were able to get it up on it's own subnet. I think for the one off "guy/gal" who may buys this as their main audio piece, uses their PC/Mac as the server, use it normally (1-3 times a week), and not put heavy taxing with mulitple encore on their network, to exist with out a subnet. Time will tell though. Certain routers most likely have an effect as well. If you have a NAS though I can't think of a good reason know why you wouldn't want to use a subnet though. 

BV7-40 MKIV, BeoVision Avant 32, BeoVision 8-32, BeoLab Penta MKIII, BeoLab 6000 x 3, BeoSound 9000 MKIII, BeoLab 7-4, BeoSound 4000, BeoPort, BeoVox S45-2, ML/MCL Convertors, A8's & Form 2's. 

• 09-11-2011 10:32 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

f5434964:

hello!

We sidetracked - it happens in forums - which is why I clearly said maybe this needs a separate discussion!

Reason for being sidetracked, is that we started talking about s/w issues.

• 09-11-2011 10:36 AM In reply to

As merely an interested bystander... when you are talking about 'subnets' do you mean simply two separate WiFi networks, or subnets in the proper TCP/IP sense? If just the former, I'd recommend picking another term for it, as they are completely different things, which might create confusion down the road...

-mika

• 09-11-2011 11:42 AM In reply to

• rxcohen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-09-2011
    • New York, USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Disclosure - I am in the networking business and i do sell Cisco.

But just to add what others have said, you definitely do not need a Cisco access point/router for this - anyone would work. But I would recommend a dual radio 11n access point, and that you put your Encore on the 5GHz radio, and let your PC's, IPADs, phones, etc connect on the 2.4GHz. Or you can have separate networks. At home I have 9 wifi devices and I was using an Apple AP to stream music to my BS9000 - either the music would drop ro my internet access was barely there. What i did is I took a Cisco AP and put everything on it, and made sure the two radios were on. The result is that my internet access went up 5X. I am using a business class AP however that costs about $500-$600, not a $100 Linksys. But I have $20K of wifi enabled equipment at home, and generate enough wifi traffic equivalent to a small office or retail store.

And don't get me wrong - not here trying to sell Cisco. But there are many consumers, at least here in the US, deploying business class wifi infrastructure in their homes. If you want more info just PM me and I will give you some options.

• 09-11-2011 12:18 PM In reply to

Hi Tournedos, we did indeed have two seperate routers, but we use the cysco purely to run the encore and stream from our beomaster, we could consolidate if needed but we have two because we leave one open for the police officers who park in front of our shop at night to steal wifi and watch netflix etc. Lets just say we have 0 thefts at our shop Big Smile

BV7-40 MKIV, BeoVision Avant 32, BeoVision 8-32, BeoLab Penta MKIII, BeoLab 6000 x 3, BeoSound 9000 MKIII, BeoLab 7-4, BeoSound 4000, BeoPort, BeoVox S45-2, ML/MCL Convertors, A8's & Form 2's. 

• 09-12-2011 2:40 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

A professional installer told me, that, from his point of view, there are some very good reasons to use
    a separate router and a separate TCP/IP subnet when installing a (WiFi) network for B&O.

- no additional B&O related data traffic in the existing network of the customer
    - no data traffic caused by other activities of the customer in the B&O network 
    - no need to know any password of the customer
    - he will not "touch" any security settings of the existing infrastructure of the customer
    - he will only be liable for the B&O Network

Most of these considerations won't apply to a private DIY-user , beeing the administrator of his own
    network and hence beeing fully responsible for his own installation/security/...

• 09-12-2011 7:29 PM In reply to

• 09-12-2011 7:39 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

bsantini:

Good stuff.  Thanks.

• 09-14-2011 4:39 PM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Kokomo:

Stan:
    I live in a neighborhood with large yards so I can see only 2 neighbor's wireless networks (with only a bar at most). 

You can see your neighbours' wireless networks? Don't they have their networks protected?

OT: Well, hidding the SSID is not protecting a wifi ap and neither is mac filtering. It's easy to scan and find wifi networks where SSID broadcast has been disabled and MAC addresses can easily be spoofed. So ensuring proper encryption (WPA2-PSK) with long encryption key (pre shared key) is the way to go and as well with most wifi routers you're able to segment the network in a easy way.

• 09-14-2011 5:22 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

kimhav:

So ensuring proper encryption (WPA2-PSK) with long encryption key (pre shared key) is the way to go ...

YES!

But, if every possible password / encryption key is tried, sooner or later yours will be found ...

The only question is:

Will that be too soon . . . or enough later?

Generating long, high-quality random passwords / encryption keys (pre shared keys)  is not simple
    - here you'll find some totally random raw material ...

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

• 09-15-2011 1:13 AM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Oh yes, All password can be cracked with enough computer power; but then again using a 63 character random alpha numeric including special characters would make it with todays standard quite hard to crack. For Firefox there are pwgen and Secure Password Generator which are two nice tools if one wants easy access to a random generator. I make use of pwgen and uses random password on all forum that I'm active; then again using either Keepass Password Safe or ThinkVantage Password Manager to keep tryack of the pws.

• 09-15-2011 1:38 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

For every measure there is a counter-measure.  Use long random passwords, and now you have to store them somewhere.  Now your password storage "vault" becomes target - use a popular one, and that makes it more likely that the bad guys will develop a crack.  Use an unpopular one, and maybe it's not as strong as advertised - after all, why is it unpopular.  I will encrypt them myself? well, if your computer gets compromised, don't you think the encrypted files are going to be the first place the bad guys look?  after all, if it wasn't important/valuable, you probably would not have encrypted it.

Maybe you've found a completely secure and unbreakable password storage vault - now you have to worry about the passwords being captured when you use them.  With a wireless network, it is not so hard - bad guys have devices called "pineapples" that are battery operated base-station like devices that they will hide nearby and will fool your computer into trying to connect - it will broadcast the SSDI of the network it is trying to penetrate - you computer will say "hey, there's that network that I'm supposed to automatically connect to, and send your long random password to connect, and now it's captured".  Now, they can connect to your secure/encrypted network and start probing for other vulnerabilities...

I have a friend who does security audits for corporate networks (essentially tries to break into them with approval from the company).  He has not yet found a network he cannot break into.  He does not use wifi in his home.  Personally, I think it is crazy to give up the convenience of surfing the web untethered because a highy motivated criminal can break into your wifi.

While it is probably true that a motivated criminal with the correct tools and knowledge can break into any network, this takes time and money, and why is this highly skilled criminal going to come after ME?  Don't stand out, and you won't be a target.  I'm not saying to use weak passwords, and turn off network encryption, etc.., but there are millions of wifi networks out there, skilled criminals go after high value targets...  I really don't see what can be found on most home networks that is high value - you're going to go to all the effort to get a social security number, or steal my music or my pictures? 

Do you have metal bars over all your windows?  The best door lock in the world will not stop someone from breaking your window?  Then again, it might motivate a criminal more if I had metal bars over my windows (especially if the neighbors don't) because I must have something of value to have spent this much on secuirty.

I guess my point is we can never be 100% secure.  Therefore, lock your doors to keep out the hooligans, but I'm question the value of going much further...  if somebody really wants to get in, they will.

Stan

• 09-15-2011 6:25 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

kimhav:

Oh yes, All password can be cracked with enough computer power; but then again using a 63 character random alpha numeric including special characters would make it with todays standard quite hard to crack.

Hold on guys, how has this thread about the Encore, moved to discussing passwords? :) Surely that should be in some randon non-B&O general forum?

• 09-15-2011 6:40 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

moxxey:

kimhav:

Oh yes, All password can be cracked with enough computer power; but then again using a 63 character random alpha numeric including special characters would make it with todays standard quite hard to crack.

Hold on guys, how has this thread about the Encore, moved to discussing passwords? :) Surely that should be in some randon non-B&O general forum?

Exactly! Assuming you aleady have wireless access to the internet, who's going to expend this much extra effort to nick your music!Huh?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-05-2011 4:45 AM In reply to

And now in the beosound 5 encore is here...in WHITE :

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beosound5-encore-white-press

• 10-05-2011 1:20 PM In reply to

• JOV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-28-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

White version looks very cheap for me. Plastic style. Black glass beside white sides: ugly...

• 01-30-2012 5:35 PM In reply to

Has anyone a BS5 Encore together with a BeoSystem 3 in the same room?

I want to use the Encore with an external drive connected directly via PowerLink to the BL5s. But they were already connected to the BS3. I could use a PowerLink splitter but I am not sure if this works. Could there be a problem when the Encore and BS3 output simultaneously? 

• 02-02-2012 6:20 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I've noticed something that bothers me with the Encore :

On a "classic" Beosound 5, when you turn the wheel, the covers/text turn at the same speed as the wheel, giving it something magical.

On a BS5 Encore, when you turn the wheel, there is almost immediately a blurry visual of moving covers, with a fixed cover in the middle, quickly changing.

Am I the only one who have a problem with that? I hope that its something that will be "fixed" by an update, to get the Beosound 5 feeling, and not a limitation due to a poor processor on the Encore.

• 02-02-2012 9:09 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

mbee:

On a "classic" Beosound 5, when you turn the wheel, the covers/text turn at the same speed as the wheel, giving it something magical.

On a BS5 Encore, when you turn the wheel, there is almost immediately a blurry visual of moving covers, with a fixed cover in the middle, quickly changing.

I noticed that too. And according to my dealer this

mbee:

....a limitation due to a poor processor on the Encore.

is exactly the reason....

Stefan

Page 10 of 11 (256 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next >