in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-06-2011 2:56 PM by elephant. 75 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (76 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2010 9:05 AM In reply to

Re: BeoWorld in Decline

TripEnglish:

Dude1:

I think we should ALWAYS agree with you Trip. You make such profound statements. What could anyone else offer.

I've been trying to bring my wife around to this point of view for years. She remains unconvinced.

Trip, we actually have SOMETHING in common?!?!? SurpriseWink

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-28-2010 9:11 AM In reply to

Puncher:

I see no problem with anyone expressing their opinion on Beoworld. If they have an issue with any given product then they are welcome to express it here, just as much as those that may sing the same product's praise. Indeed I think it would be a much, much poorer site should it ever end up otherwise. The worst possible scenario is a forum full of sycophantic posts where no real issues are ever discussed and people are harried and bullied should they dare to disagree.

Vive la différence!

I agree, Puncher, but if someone has a criticism, it would be nice to hear some articulation of their issue, even if it's only opinion. I expect one-dimensional jabs from people with low post counts, but you're one of the big personalities here. We went back and forth on a thread not too long ago and after a while you articulated your issues and, though I disagreed, I couldn't find fault with any of them! 

To me it's not an issue of silencing negativity, it's about smartening it up. I don't know the data on how many people are lurking v. participating, but I'd imagine there are a lot of people just reading, including other B&O employees, and it would be nice for the criticism to be constructive enough to matter. 

We're a company that sort of arrived in the digital era broken and unprepared and our story has been one of rapid and uncertain turnaround. There's so much to do in so many areas and we're all in position to give input and opinion on matters from design to manufacturing. I'd just like to see us do the brand the courtesy of taking time to be thoughtful whether we're offering praise or criticism.  

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-28-2010 9:13 AM In reply to

Couple of thoughts:

1. The Wednesday Thread has been moved because it uses a lot of space on the server. We are actually going to be moving the whole forum to a new server due to speed and reliability issues soon and our beloved Keith is working hard on this! We moved the Wednesday Thread first as it is populated by keen posters and they were keen that the threads were not deleted after a while, which we having to do for space reasons.

2. Those of you with high post counts will notice, as Puncher has done, that it sometimes takes multiple goes to post. This is a fault in the software and will be cured by the move. This is why the Wednesday thread does not suffer from this! Once we have moved, I will be Peter again!!

3. On the original subject, I don't think BeoWorld is in decline at all. B&O are at present a little unsure of the direction of travel as can be witnessed by recent departures. This will tend to result in uncertainty in B&O watchers. I think it is this as much as anything that causes some more negative threads. BeoWorld is and always will be a pro B&O site. We do, however, not censor threads except when abusive, profane, blatant advertising or spam. I believe B&O value some of the negative threads, not because this will necessarily change policy but so that they can understand some of the criticisms that products may provoke. Some of these criticisms may well be irrelevant to B&O as Trip would probably point out. It is however useful from a marketing point of view.We have been here a number of times before - probably long before most participants were members! The problems have been dealt with in a variety of ways; I try to avoid deleting or banning, though this has happened in the past, usually in a rather unsatisfactory way. Since Lee has taken over, it has been run in an open way involving all of the moderating team. This has seemed to be the most successful method. I hope most of us agree!

B&O are operating in a rapidly changing world. For many years the market was pretty static with the only real change being the introduction of CDs and the decline of vinyl. During these times, B&O could simply refine and develop products. The explosion of digital technology and its rapid development does not inherently suit a company like B&O, particularly when the medium initially offered a far poorer quality than what was previously available. Examples would include the flat screen revolution - I am sure that even the most ardent B&O fans would now admit that the first generation LCD screens were simply awful compared to the Avant. So much so that dealers were advised not have BV3s and Avants next to the first BV7s. Equally the advent of digital music and compressed MP3 recordings seemed to offer little to recommend it, hence the rather half hearted BeoSound 3200.

However the new generation LED screens and the BS5 are now showing what B&O can do - the Encore allows proper integration with a music server without an intermediate computer and the new form of Beolink will take the concept of linked rooms far away from the 90s system we rely on now and into the next decade. I think this year will be very exciting and I look forward to the reaction, both positive and maybe negative at times of the BeoWorld community.

• 12-28-2010 9:19 AM In reply to

This is a strange thread. Membership has risen and activity is good. At the same time, B&O have gone through substantial turmoil, leadership changes and store closings, chiefly as a result of B&O losing the plot as to market wants and needs - at an enthusiasts' forum one discusses the good and the bad of such developments, and everything won't be to everyone's liking.

I happen to be sufficiently informed as to previous B&O attitudes to know that web-mgt at Struer would cheer when the previous and dodgy Beoworld server went down. I was instrumental in convincing them of the folly of that tack, and of instead opening up a collaboration with Beoworld.

I have no empathy whatsoever with the gist of Trip's sentiments in the op.

I can sprinkle the above with a selection of smileys if required, but a "disciplined enthusiasts' forum that regurgitates dogma" is probably not what members want. And maybe I'm wrong - why not get B&O to open a heavily moderated forum again?

• 12-28-2010 3:19 PM In reply to

The forum is just fine.

What the members make of it is another.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-28-2010 3:30 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

Puncher:

I see no problem with anyone expressing their opinion on Beoworld. If they have an issue with any given product then they are welcome to express it here, just as much as those that may sing the same product's praise. Indeed I think it would be a much, much poorer site should it ever end up otherwise. The worst possible scenario is a forum full of sycophantic posts where no real issues are ever discussed and people are harried and bullied should they dare to disagree.

Vive la différence!

I agree, Puncher, but if someone has a criticism, it would be nice to hear some articulation of their issue, even if it's only opinion. I expect one-dimensional jabs from people with low post counts, but you're one of the big personalities here. We went back and forth on a thread not too long ago and after a while you articulated your issues and, though I disagreed, I couldn't find fault with any of them! 

To me it's not an issue of silencing negativity, it's about smartening it up. I don't know the data on how many people are lurking v. participating, but I'd imagine there are a lot of people just reading, including other B&O employees, and it would be nice for the criticism to be constructive enough to matter. 

We're a company that sort of arrived in the digital era broken and unprepared and our story has been one of rapid and uncertain turnaround. There's so much to do in so many areas and we're all in position to give input and opinion on matters from design to manufacturing. I'd just like to see us do the brand the courtesy of taking time to be thoughtful whether we're offering praise or criticism.  

I (mostly) agree!

(I think I may have just broken the forum)!Laughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-28-2010 3:34 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

bayerische:

The forum is just fine.

There speaks a Philosopher!Hmm

• 12-28-2010 3:39 PM In reply to

Puncher:

bayerische:

The forum is just fine.

I can't see one in the mirror! Just tried! Laughing

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-28-2010 3:43 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

bayerische:

Puncher:

bayerische:

The forum is just fine.

Apparently you only see what you most desire - in your case I assume it was an alcoholic beverage of some description!

• 12-28-2010 3:47 PM In reply to

Puncher:

bayerische:

Puncher:

bayerische:

The forum is just fine.

Apparently you only see what you most desire - in your case I assume it was an alcoholic beverage of some description!

Now don't you get me started! Laughing

mmmmHmmm.

-Wine!

-Andreas

• 12-28-2010 3:51 PM In reply to

Puncher:

bayerische:

Puncher:

bayerische:

The forum is just fine.

Or three...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-28-2010 4:13 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

This thread just popped onto my radar and i nearly dropped my beer when i saw the title !!  (it's almost 9pm by the way - i'm not a morning drinker! LOL)

Thank you to Bayerische - i immediately got paranoid and thought what the moderating team and myself have done with BeoWorld was seen as inadequate!  

However, my heartbeat has returned to normal and i'll chip my two pence worth on Trip's valid point..

The first thing to consider is people feel safe behind a computer screen, so will air any and all opinions without fear of great retribution.  If the flak gets too dense, they log off and walk away. Simple.

That's human nature when it comes to online discussions - i accept that and so should everyone.  Once you come to terms with it (i did about 2 years ago and my blood pressure has returned to normal) then you can make allowances for stupid, unfounded and indeed totally unresearched comments.  As a general percentage on BeoWorld though, they are much lower than on other sites - thankfully.

I'm not party to as much inside info as i used to be (they found and shot my sources, then fed their pulped remains to the sheep) - but i do know we have a renaissance period coming for B&O within the next couple of years.  It'll make or break them, but i'll be buying shares in B&O during the coming months to stash away for that very period.  I have every faith in Kalle - but i'd like to see the axes fall on quite a few people and departments first...  they have 'dead wood' they need to clear - from their shops to head offices..  

In conclusion - i don't mind criticism for the brand.  I positively encourage it - this causes debates, which is what a forum is all about.  However, 'one liners' from people, or as i like to call them 'drive-bys' which are unsubstantiated or just plain wrong don't do anyone any favours.

I love the cameraderie here, I love the intelligence and wit of our members - and i love the fact we can hold a decent conversation.  It's only a small segment of people who like to bring a 'downer' on things, so let's just rise above it.  They have a right to their opinions and as Peter says, we'd never moderate them - but surely that's the idea of a forum which encourages debate and free speech?

Trip - keep flying the flag.  I always have a wry smile on my face when you leap over the trenches, firing your BeoRifle and lobbing your BeoGrenades right back at the doubters - without your stout enthusiasm and defence of the brand we'd all disappear into a quagmire of negativity. Wink

I love this Forum, it's members and the whole BeoWorld 'thing' (which is a good job, really).  Keep talking, keep debating - but also keep your faith in B&O !!!

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 12-28-2010 4:20 PM In reply to

burantek:

Puncher:

bayerische:

Puncher:

bayerische:

The forum is just fine.

Or three...

LaughingLaughingLaughing Fantastic!

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-28-2010 4:35 PM In reply to

beocool:

burantek:

Puncher:

bayerische:

Puncher:

bayerische:

The forum is just fine.

Or three...

LaughingLaughingLaughing Fantastic!

Another round on the house!!!LaughingBeerBeer

• 12-28-2010 4:40 PM In reply to

Another thing I need to mention is, How many other forums give away great prizes?? So lets chin up and be positive! 

I know for one I have met a few really nice people from the forum! Tony is to name one of them, he even offered to help me with repairing my penta foams and would be willing to come out of his way (from France) to collect!  Tell me that isn't a nice guy! Nigel (h1npw)who lives near me (nottingham) has offered to take and collect some bits for repair, the forum has loads of really great people! So lets Keep it Great! Nigel if you read this I need to get you a beer at some point for the advice given!

cheers Nick 

• 12-28-2010 4:43 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Nickyg63:

Another thing I need to mention is, How many other forums give away great prizes?? So lets chin up and be positive! 

I know for one I have met a few really nice people from the forum! Tony is to name one of them, he even offered to help me with repairing my penta foams and would be willing to come out of his way (from France) to collect!  Tell me that isn't a nice guy! Nigel (h1npw)who lives near me (nottingham) has offered to take and collect some bits for repair, the forum has loads of really great people! So lets Keep it Great! Nigel if you read this I need to get you a beer at some point for the advice given!

cheers Nick 

Agree wholeheartedly! The two chaps you mention are both fine fellows and I'm sure lots of other members can name similar (if not longer) lists of equally helpful people, all of who were complete strangers before meeting on Beoworld!

How much better can a forum be??

• 12-28-2010 4:56 PM In reply to

Puncher:

Nickyg63:

cheers Nick 

Agree wholeheartedly! The two chaps you mention are both fine fellows and I'm sure lots of other members can name similar (if not longer) lists of equally helpful people, all of who were complete strangers before meeting on Beoworld!

How much better can a forum be??

I think we need to remember the positive reasons we are here!

• 12-28-2010 5:16 PM In reply to

burantek:

Or three...

That looked like some quite thick stuff. I suppose it would take five philosophers with five forks to drink it...

On the subject, I myself have noticed that some BW threads lately have been somewhat hostile, with some opinions being just half childish shots from the bushes, and on the other hand many discussions always converge to the same stuff I personally find just boring. I still read most everything at least in a cursory way but my input has been mostly on the vintage side of things because of this. But, I believe this belongs to the natural cycle of things & trends, and I expect BW will be back at its cheerful self soon - the upcoming product releases sound like they would help with that, never mind that some people will never be happy or content with anything!

-mika

• 12-28-2010 5:20 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    I suppose it would take five philosophers with five forks to drink it...

Hmm Brain. Overload. LaughingLaughing

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-28-2010 5:38 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

If people spent as much time working on improving their financial fortunes as they do griping about how expensive B&O products are they'd be standing at my desk shaking stacks of $100 bills out of a top hat while their man-servant points to the products they want. 

Big Smile

Trip I just have to tell you that you are the top reason for me visiting this forum, I just love your posts.

I agree with your point with this thread, it is starting to get a bit to much of the "B&O bashing" 

Speaking for my self, I am so excited about my new BeoSound 8, great sound for a even greater retail price. 

I´m also excited but B&O:s leatest offer(don´t now if it´s only valid in Scandinavia?) Buy a BeoVision 7 40 with speaker and get the Blu-ray and motorized stand for free. Great value and I will upgrade from my BV 8 32.

Looking back at 2010 I think B&O have presented some great products. BeoSound 8, and the BeoVision 10 32 & 46 the BeoLab 11.

Really looking forward to 2011.

Newbie! So far: BeoVision 7 40´ Mark V Blu-ray, BeoLab 7-4, BeoLab 9, BeoSound 5,  Beo4, Beo5,  BeoCom 2, BeoTime and A8 Earphones

• 12-28-2010 6:14 PM In reply to

The juices are flowing!!!

Puncher, I think you and I agreeing is like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters. Only in extreme circumstances should it be attempted!

Lee, the forum itself is great. You're absolutely right about the effect anonymity has on our online behavior. I imagine that very few people are fully represented in their dealings here as they are in real life. It's that awareness that hopefully makes us more conscientious participants. I can be (and generally am) a mildly aggressive smart-ass, but I hope that when I do take the time to post it's adding something, even if it's the same something I've been adding and adding and adding! If you have something to criticize about our products, don't just toss a brick or take a dump and run away. Argue your point in such a way that hard-headed cool-aid gulpers like me pause and say, "well, he's got a point."

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-28-2010 6:27 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

The juices are flowing!!!

Puncher, I think you and I agreeing is like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters. Only in extreme circumstances should it be attempted!

Let's hope the Encore is all I'm expecting then!Laughing

• 12-28-2010 9:29 PM In reply to

Dear Kokomo - you are not a fraud!

Those of us who own vintage and veteran B&O kits provide a valuable service of advice and guidance to the next generation who choose to enter the brand by investing via eBay.

We are also good PR because we are the living proof of the enduring value of, and pleasure from, the brand.

I understand your sweet regret - I feel it myself at times - but then I sit back and listen to some music and say "it was and still is worth it)".

and Dear Peter, I understand the technical issues, I was having a dig at myself as much as expressing a sense of lost opportunity and time.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-28-2010 10:00 PM In reply to

Doctor:
    Once we have moved, I will be Peter again!!

Oh please no !

I enjoy you being the Doctor ... sonic screwdriver and all :)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-28-2010 10:07 PM In reply to

burantek:
    Or three...

now that looks a lovely brew, much nicer than the "arrogant ***" I had last year in NYC Laughing

can you arrange for it to be served at this WEDTHRED's pub ?

edit: hmm the forum just auto-censored me!

So I am resorting to an image ... 'cause I was not profaning anyone in particular ... and also having seen their range of T-shirts I think I know what I want as a birthday present from my sons Laughing Laughing Laughing

Page 2 of 4 (76 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >