in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-26-2010 7:20 AM by Clakke. 84 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-23-2010 7:02 AM In reply to

Re: What is stopping you buying B&O?...

chris:

Here it is. Be it Zenith or Valjoux(ETA) only from 93 did Rolex make an effort to make be less reliant on other companies...

btw zenith is a manufactured movement and it is not comparable with a valjoux eta... some rolex daytona's with zenith movement are sought after by collectors... e.g. paul newman daytona.

bayerische:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that you don't know the source of.

bayerische is right, don't believe everything you read on "the virtually madhouse"... ;-)

• 03-23-2010 9:20 AM In reply to

things like software bugs in the tv's

don't seem to have any issues with any other equipment in my house that's not a computer with all these software updates

i wouldn't mind if the gear was state of the art , it isn't

just buggy software badly programmed

that's what's putting me off any new bno kit

popgear is grate™

• 03-23-2010 9:34 AM In reply to

bayerische:
    So should we steer this thread back on topic? I'll be skinned once Jandy or Puncher finds this thread.... Right Burantek?

Certainly!

To expand on my earlier post...

I guess what is stopping me from buying B&o... We live in a throw away society today. eProducts have a shelf life measured in weeks. The shelf life is now driven more by software than radical hardware changes. I think that what appealed to me most was always B&o's way of thinking outside of the box a bit. I think they might have lost a bit of that edge trying to keep up in software circles... something they just can't do... the result being fairly uninspired products with a slew of faults from the day they launch all for incredible sums of money.

It has been mentioned a million times on here before... outsource the software. Concentrate on brilliant designs. Merge the two into a well finished, competent product that is worth the entry price and that continues in primary service for 10 years before retiring into the enthusiast world.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-23-2010 11:33 AM In reply to

My biggest stopper is the TV pricing. 

Be it right or wrong, the prices are high. The audio products are reasonably priced I would say. BL5 is great value for what you get.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 03-23-2010 2:56 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

I do not think pricing on it's own is stopper as such definitely a major factor ,if that was the case look around and lots of good second hand around nearly half price or less  not exactly flying off the shelve??? is it???

• 03-23-2010 2:57 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

bayerische:

So should we steer this thread back on topic? I'll be skinned once Jandy or Puncher finds this thread.... Right Burantek? Laughing

Fear not! This is exactly the right sort of thread to have these sorts of discussions, i.e. it isn't blighting the Wedthred©!Big Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-23-2010 6:16 PM In reply to

Puncher:

bayerische:

So should we steer this thread back on topic? I'll be skinned once Jandy or Puncher finds this thread.... Right Burantek? Laughing

Fear not! This is exactly the right sort of thread to have these sorts of discussions, i.e. it isn't blighting the Wedthred©!Big Smile

Thanks man! Laughing

I'm looking forward to WED© already.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 03-24-2010 1:47 PM In reply to

My biggest stopper is the TV pricing. 

Your right the pricing does seem a problem but you are getting the swiss watch of TVs in a bv4 or bv7 plus wonderful sound systems all rather nicely intergrated. You can buy a lovely japanese watch for a tenth of a swiss watch,the japanese watch will be as reliable and keep excellent time but doesnt a rolex look fab just like a bv4. I remember people saying the swiss watch industry was finished in the late seventies how wrong they have been.

• 03-24-2010 2:59 PM In reply to

It depends what product are we talking about.

I think B&O speakers are spot on. They are good looking, sound nice and there is great price range.

If we look audio systems i think they are way behind. Products like BS9000, BS3200, BS4 look great, they are icons, but i have a feeling they are just slowing B&O down with progres. New young customers dont have CDs. And BS5 just shows how far behind B&O is with software and userface.

Its the same story with TVs. They look great but they are behind with tehnology. Also look new Sony 2010 range some TVs looks better then BV8 for example.

This is my opinion.

• 03-26-2010 7:20 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

beoaus:

Thought I would start this thread as a list of reasons rather than gripes.

From my end really four things.

1. High Definition link room distribution, which I hear is on the way or here now. Just no details.
    2. Cost of the TV's, which I believe needs adjusting down.
    3. A new updated remote control (management system) or connecting into say an ITouch.
    4. Link room communications. I envisage a central hub of music, video and more being available anywhere and purchasing in that very direction. In IT networking we call it a hub and spoke network.

For me a purchase decision would become a whole lot easier if these area's were addressed.

beoaus.

Hi

It is not a 100% stop. I have some plans for telephone and maybe expanding audio a bit, maybe with Beovox. Otherwise, the points above sums up about what I feel.

1. was one of the reasons why we did not even consider B&O TVs.

2. was perhaps the main reason to not buy B&O TV. If you combinate this with 1, it looks even worse for B&O.

3 and 4. This technique was already was already at place when B&O launched BS5. As most of us know this area is solved, maybe even dominated, by Apple (iPhone/iTouch/AppleTV/Mac Mini/Airport Express e t c). In my opinion, it was a waste of time and money to launch something like BS5. This kind of equipment belongs in the computer world. They have the tools and knowledge to develop and maintain systems like that, not B&O. The cost Apple vs B&O in this field speaks for itself. Further, B&O (BS5) is extremely under engineered compared to an Apple solution considering almost everything. The only thing B&O is doing right here is the Beoport, which I use when I connect B&O and Apple. I think it is a shame that B&O has not lanched an App for iPhone (with necessary hardware) to control B&O systems. Why do not they act like Sonos, one App for iPhone and one own remote. Let the customer decide about the remotes. If they wait a little longer, there will probably be a third party App with an IR stick to the iPhone to control B&O equipment (I have seen the solution in the web already). Everybody knows what it means to come out late in the market with a product.

I think I have mentioned my opinion about this before: the only thing B&O shall worry about is how to get the sound to their fine speakers, like they have done with Beoport. If there is a solution like Apple for control, make sure to use it instead of trying to develop something that always will be two steps behind when it hits the market.

I may also add a point.

5. I have always wondered what B&O would do when TVs are flat... In the CRT days B&O was the only manufacturer that made the TV to look flat. I think B&O is facing this new world now. Before the TVs from B&O were really beauties compared to other brands. This is not the case in the flat TV world. B&O just looks good without the wow effect. This is not good enough, by far, if they want to charge their prices. Ok some models comes with a very good sound, but probably people think that it is unnecessary. Either they will not need it, or they use a surround equipment that sounds even better.

Conclusion: I think B&O is facing a problem in one of their core things, that is design. I am very pessimistic when it comes to B&O and TV. The TVs are priced at a level that they compete with rebuilding of garden/bathroom e t c. That has been the case for long time and no change in sight.

We can just hope they make it

Clakke

Page 4 of 4 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4