in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-14-2010 1:18 PM by Clakke. 116 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (117 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-15-2010 6:27 AM

• roconn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2010
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

IS B&O worth the money???

I am seriously considering my first B&O purchase... a Beovision 10 television!

It has the looks I want and the picture quality/sound 'seem' excellent, but since I am not a multi-millionairre and still in the realms of 'normal' earning capacity, the £7k price tag does seem very steep - especially compared to my previous television purchases (my last being a £2k Sony around 3/4 years ago).

I assume everyone on this site is going to be somewhat biased, but I just need convincing that its worth spending £7k on a 40" TV - and I don't need the usual sales crap that I got in the B&O shop I visited at the weekend...

- Is B&O the best sound/picture quality you can buy? I read (on this site I think) that the screen for the Beovision 10 is made by Samsung, I wouldn't usually buy Samsung over brands like Sony or Pioneer, why would I buy a Samsung screen with a B&O tag on the top??

- Is the sound quality that great... to be honest, I am not a huge sound/vision man (I don't own a blueray player at the moment or subscride to HD TV, although I will), but am I buying an inferior product with an expensive brand name?

- Is B&O designed for people with more money than sense or is it truely a superior brand with a great design?

• 02-15-2010 6:54 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Re: IS B&O worth the money???

I've NEVER regretted getting into B&O, even though I had to make some sacrifices at times to do so.

But your question could be equally be " Is a Jaguar, Aston Martin, Bentley(!) worth the money as I normally buy a Ford?" The Ford will have seats, a body, wheels, an engine and reach 80-90 mph quite easily. In the end it's only 'worth it' if you think it is and are willing to pay for the additional perceived 'qualities' in the more expensive product.

• 02-15-2010 7:48 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

roconn:

It has the looks I want and the picture quality/sound 'seem' excellent, but since I am not a multi-millionairre and still in the realms of 'normal' earning capacity, the £7k price tag does seem very steep - especially compared to my previous television purchases (my last being a £2k Sony around 3/4 years ago).

I assume everyone on this site is going to be somewhat biased, but I just need convincing that its worth spending £7k on a 40" TV - and I don't need the usual sales crap that I got in the B&O shop I visited at the weekend...

- Is B&O the best sound/picture quality you can buy? I read (on this site I think) that the screen for the Beovision 10 is made by Samsung, I wouldn't usually buy Samsung over brands like Sony or Pioneer, why would I buy a Samsung screen with a B&O tag on the top??

- Is the sound quality that great... to be honest, I am not a huge sound/vision man (I don't own a blueray player at the moment or subscride to HD TV, although I will), but am I buying an inferior product with an expensive brand name?

- Is B&O designed for people with more money than sense or is it truely a superior brand with a great design?

Wasn't the BV10 cheaper? I kind of think it's price is 6k €.

I think is a great entry to the B&O world, specially if you could pair it with a couple of loudspeakers.

Gustavo

• 02-15-2010 7:59 AM In reply to

• roconn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2010
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

I see your point... and as I have recently purchased a new Audi TT, I can in fact relate to the decision process... but it is slightly different, when I bought my car I wanted a sports Coupe and I really liked the TT...  I could have tried to justify paying double for the Porsche but I perceived the quality of Audi/Porsche to be similar and the only difference in my mind was the looks/status symbol of the Porsche. I don't believe Ford to be as good quality as either Porsche or Audi (sorry, the Germans make great cars) nor do their cars look anywhere near as asthetically pleasing so whilst it gets you from A to B, it is not the question I am asking.

The B&O is unique in that it has no comparative for looks! but the bottom line is, am I just paying for the chassis, or am I getting something which will be better quality/better visual/better sound than anything else for 1/2 the price?

• 02-15-2010 8:00 AM In reply to

• roconn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2010
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

I believe it is £6k, plus stand, plus brackets, plus remote - IRO £7k from the quote I got on Saturday!

I would be interested if you could get it cheaper, would make my decision easier!

• 02-15-2010 8:04 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Great question - but unfortuantly there are many views on this. My view is that Bang, bespite being an expensive product is an authentic product, with most of the products doing exactly what they say. 

Televisions - Picture quality is very, very good. It always has been, but with the addisiton of HD and LED's etc they are now very, very good. The TV's have many differing features to ensure picture quality is very high, such as vision clear, light sensors, anti refelective coatings etc.  These elements come together to give exceptional picture quality.  The sound is also very high quality with active speaker systems and exceptional clarity.  The TV's also have the ability to link with other B&O products which make them a good proposition when thinking of extending your collection. Combining this with a selection of placement / stand options allows you to place the TV wherever it suits.

Stereo systems - Unique, offer great placement options and are works of art.  The BS5, although clumsy in some ways will continue to be refined and only get better.

Speakers - Mid to large speakers offer exceptional sound quality through being active and in very attractive forms and multi colours.

I think if you speak to any other B&O owners, most will say once you have an item of Bang, it is hard to go back to another brand.  Certainly the BV10 is an exceptional TV and if you desire further sound, the ability to connect further speakers allows you to grow your system.  The picture quality is very good.

Just my POV.

• 02-15-2010 8:54 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

It isn't just about picture quality and sound, it's everything.
    The customer service, the aesthetics, the reliability, the individuality, the ease of use, the near-silent mechanical workings, the sheer physical feel of the products...
    B&o gear just has so much going for it, and when you get to the point where all of the above is what you love to receive in return for money, then B&o is worth the money.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 02-15-2010 9:44 AM In reply to

• BOBBY1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2010
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

In my opnion no not worth the money. I have spent in the last 18 months £20,000 on B&O equipment sofar the B&O engineers have been out to me 20 times mainley problems with the tv's.so far ive had three Mk 3s 7-40s and three Mk 4s 7-40 blue ray,all have gone wrong.all i get from the dealer is an apology nothing else!! If i were you keep your money in your poket.

• 02-15-2010 9:48 AM In reply to

B&O rarely leads the field in sheer performance. You pay a premium for design, ergonomics, and to a lesser degree, quality of materials, build and service.

Oh, and let's not forget exclusivity.. Ick!.

That TV is not something I would buy, but what is your criteria?

• 02-15-2010 9:59 AM In reply to

My first TV I bought was BV 7. I got it mainly for its sound capabilities.  I am not much of a TV watcher.  In fact, the thing is used only to watch movies.  It is not connected to any TV signal.   

I enjoyed the ease of use, the sound quality, and its non-obtrusive.  The quality has been good to very good.  

The speakers and sound systems are superb.  I accept the few shortcomings, e.g., not the latest this or that.  It serves my purposes well.  

Ask for a home demo and then decide?  

Enjoy,

Dario

ps, let us know what you get either way.

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 02-15-2010 10:04 AM In reply to

• roconn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2010
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

To be honest, I (and to a greater extent, my wife) likes things to look nice... she doesn't like huge TV's hanging off the wall and dozens of boxes on display and cables everywhere, etc...

We have a a relatively small alcove and were going to get a bespoke cupboard built and hang a 32-37" TV off the wall in the alcove (since it is only 98cm wide). We went into the B&O shop to buy the new phone and happened to see the BV10... the great thing about the device, is that it is rather tasty looking and even better is the fact that all your boxes can be stacked on the mount behind the TV and you replace all the remote's with one - it is a minimalist's wet-dream!

I don't mind paying a premium for design, but for this price I expect quality in abundance too!

From the general responses, I'm not getting the feeling that B&O stands out from the crowd in terms of quality/performance and per the above poster, the price tag is more related to the uniqueness, design and exclusivity!

• 02-15-2010 10:20 AM In reply to

roconn:
    From the general responses, I'm not getting the feeling that B&O stands out from the crowd in terms of quality/performance

That's not exactly that, but generaly, on the paper, B&O TV may not have specs that match certain recent TVs from other brands. But B&O has a special image processing system that usually gets better result than most TVs.

The sound also is very important and other brands cannot compete.

Talking about sound, the weak point of the BV10 is sound. Compared to other beovisions. It is still far better than other flat screens. So my advice is to get to listen to it in the store before you make your choice.

Also be aware that a 46" version is in preparation.

• 02-15-2010 10:26 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Sorry to hear BOBBY1 about your bad experience. 6 televisions changed. This is unheard of!

Is there anything we on the forum can do to help?

• 02-15-2010 10:53 AM In reply to

BOBBY1:

In my opnion no not worth the money. I have spent in the last 18 months £20,000 on B&O equipment sofar the B&O engineers have been out to me 20 times mainley problems with the tv's.so far ive had three Mk 3s 7-40s and three Mk 4s 7-40 blue ray,all have gone wrong.all i get from the dealer is an apology nothing else!! If i were you keep your money in your poket.

I'm going to go out on a limb and call BS on this. Frankly it just doesn't ring true, procedurally or otherwise. Maybe he had a bad experience, but it's like saying I've had 6 Mercedes Benz replacements in 18 months. It's just not true. First post doesn't help either. 

As for the worth, it's completely in the eyes of the beholder. At the end of the day you can acknowledge that B&O is superior (I'm just saying hypothetically) and still not accept the value proposition yourself. An Aston Martin is clearly a "better car" than my bike, but it's less practical for my daily commute which is 70% of my time in transit.

I'd also say that there are products that make mathematical sense and those that make emotional sense and both have a place. I don't spend much money on things that I don't care about and lavishly on those I do. I think everyone can find this pattern in their own life on a few things (food, travel, shoes, hobbies).

So follow your heart! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-15-2010 11:00 AM In reply to

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

roconn:

Hi,

Regarding BeoVision 10, please keep in mind that these TV sets can suffer from an uneven, cloudy backlight, which is distracting when watching darker scenes in dim lighting (normal evening lighting conditions).

A detailed summary of some cases, such as mine, can be found in my post at:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/31772.aspx

B&O Customer Service has given no response on the problem. I am now having my TV photographed to document the defect, and then I'll see what my dealer has to say about it. The photos will also be posted to the above topic.

So, as one magazine puts it "exercise caution" with the new EdgeLED screens. When purchasing a BV10 that would mean that agree with your dealer about the terms and conditions of returning / exchanging the television, if it exhibits this problem.

Given the current condition of my TV, it was not worth the money. Assuming the panel gets exchanged and that resolves the issue, I'll be very happy with the TV.

EDIT:

B&O apparently does not replace panels that have backlight clouding, they do not consider it a defect (just had a chat with my dealer). So I'll revise my opinion:

If you get a good panel, BV10 is definitely worth the money. If you get a bad panel, the 6000K price tag stings to an extent that is somewhat equal to the size of your wallet, and directly equal with your TV watching habits. 

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 02-15-2010 12:24 PM In reply to

• BOBBY1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2010
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

No i don't think you can help,iv'e sent a number of E Mails to B&O in Denmark but they never get back to me,i have phoned them but again not interested.Once they have your money thats it!!Yes the design is great but they fall down on reliability.I have B&O eqipment for the last 14 years and never untill now had all this trouble.Iv'e tried to sell all of my stuff back to them they said they would take some of it but did not want the tv.

• 02-15-2010 2:40 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

I think B&O is definitely worth the money in some areas, and totally audacious in others. IMHO, B&O speakers are absolute wonders of engineering and aesthetics, and they sound GREAT. The ALT speakers especially the Beolab 3's are downright a steal for the price to performance ratio.

Televisions are another story, B&O continues to be a laggard in incorporating the latest technologies (ie. Blue Ray Players, etc). Especially in their LCD models (the Avant (CRT) and Beovision 5 (Plasma) are in the hall of fame as the best TV's ever made by any manufacturer, in my opinion).

If the price tag is what is holding you back from a BV10, you may want to take a look at the BV8-40. The sound is fantastic, and the picture, too. They've worked out the kinks from the first series BV8s, and the price seems to be right for a combination of the best in B&O's competencies (sound), and some of the vision as well.

Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 02-15-2010 6:34 PM In reply to

I think the problem with the TVs is that the technology is rapidly evolving.  What is being used today will of course still work in 5 years and look the same, but technology will have advanced by a large degree.

The audio components however are not evolving quite as fast.  Many of us enjoy vintage gear (for myself my Beocenter 9500) and it sounds great.  Sure modern components have some advantages but the audio can last you for years and years. 

• 02-16-2010 2:51 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

StUrrock:

Sorry to hear BOBBY1 about your bad experience. 6 televisions changed. This is unheard of

Not really. I had 2 x BV7-40 MKIIIs and now 3 x BV7-40 MKIVs! That's 5 since Nov 2007 :)

Luckily the latest BV7-40 MKIV is fine, apart from an audio delay between linkroom TVs.

• 02-16-2010 3:44 AM In reply to

moxxey:

StUrrock:

Sorry to hear BOBBY1 about your bad experience. 6 televisions changed. This is unheard of

Not really. I had 2 x BV7-40 MKIIIs and now 3 x BV7-40 MKIVs! That's 5 since Nov 2007 :)

Luckily the latest BV7-40 MKIV is fine, apart from an audio delay between linkroom TVs.

I am sure TripEnglish will persuade you that you lie!!!

I am really sorry for what happened to you. Hope everything goes well now...

-Dimitris

• 02-16-2010 4:18 AM In reply to

i bought all my gear , tv , phones , speakers , answering machine etc in 2003

still going strong , while eqpt from other manufacturers - yes even apple ! has gone kaput

i think that says it all really

you really do get what you pay for - with bno anyway

popgear is grate™

• 02-16-2010 5:35 AM In reply to

macjonny1:

I think the problem with the TVs is that the technology is rapidly evolving.  What is being used today will of course still work in 5 years and look the same, but technology will have advanced by a large degree.

The audio components however are not evolving quite as fast.  Many of us enjoy vintage gear (for myself my Beocenter 9500) and it sounds great.  Sure modern components have some advantages but the audio can last you for years and years. 

I can use my BC9500 and still get the satisfaction that nothing appeals more to me in the current range. Same with my Avant.  Both of these are used products. Worth it? They make me smile and look back at them as I leave the room they are just so good. Buying new B&O is a distant memory from the 80's for me - Beolit 707/Beosystem 6000 etc, when the products were firmly in the Mercedes-Benz category. Today it's Porsche Bentley Ferrari. The LCD TV's (which, reading this forum seem still to be in the test phase) are IMO not worth the money. Some of the audio definitely is.

• 02-16-2010 9:07 AM In reply to

One has to ask how B & O can consider it acceptable to produce a £6000 TV utilising an edge lit LED panel that is susceptible to uneven backlighting,and clouding.

Samsung produce a backlit LED panel with local dimming,so B & O should utilise it across their larger screen range even if it results in slightly thicker TVs.

• 02-16-2010 10:35 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Sal:
    If the price tag is what is holding you back from a BV10, you may want to take a look at the BV8-40. The sound is fantastic, and the picture, too. They've worked out the kinks from the first series BV8s, and the price seems to be right for a combination of the best in B&O's competencies (sound), and some of the vision as well.

I would recommend this approach. The BV8-40 is the hell of a good deal. Better sound than BV10, more proven technology. If your space is small, you can even go for the now discontinued BV8-32. You can get great deals on display TV's. For example, my store has got one for 2k euro, including TDT.

This is your first BnO purchase and you may want to try it out with an entry-level device.

Good luck,

Gustavo

• 02-16-2010 10:58 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Not exactly on topic, but I like to mention this whenever the BV8-40 is mentioned in the hope that B&O may grant my wish one day. Wink

The BV8-40 looks great on paper, but, unfortunately, I have never seen one in the flesh as it is not available in the USA! Sad

I would probably buy one in a minute if it were available over here as it appears to be exactly what I need in a TV (no surround, good sound, ML integration, 40 in, looks good on a shelf in a built-in bookcase (where a large CRT tv used to be).  I can't believe I'm the only one with these requirements.

Yes, the BV10-40 may be coming here, but I've no use for a thin TV designed primarily for the wall or floor.

Stan

Page 1 of 5 (117 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >