in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-02-2010 4:19 AM by tournedos. 119 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (120 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-27-2010 9:16 PM In reply to

Re: iPad is here!!!!!

elephant:

You both lost me !

someone decode SWIRO pls :)

Here you go... Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-27-2010 9:27 PM In reply to

linder:

I have an observation on this announcement which is I think this is only the beginning.  We only saw a small part of what will happen.  They have yet to bring publishers onboard especially magazines and newspapers.  For the iPad to be a worldwide product, they have much more work to do.

I saw the presentation on delayed video and I think they all looked a little tired.  Steve Jobs is known to have a driven personality.  I think they presented as much as they could to get the whole thing started.  The amazing thing was the pricing structure with AT&T for 3G connectivity.  They will probably try to do the same thing elsewhere.  I know AT&T has problems but it works for me.  It didn't work too well in Montana for me but it did work in the little towns.

I was thinking of a new iPod touch but not anymore.   I will get a 64 gb iPad when its released in 3 months.

Bill

I agree Bill, as per my highlights of your text.

It was a strange announcement in some ways ... at several points (I was following it on a twitter feed with phone snapshots) I was even feeling deflated ... but when I pick away at the bones I think these things are important:

• why were the Disney CEO, Stephen Fry, and Al Gore in the audience ?
    • why was there all the speculation about multiple carriers and then AT&T despite all their network troubles comes in with such an aggressive pricing structure ?
    • why was the Kindle Killer aspect buried in the second half of the presentation ?
    • why did Steve drive (force by some accounts !) the team to port their iWork applications: word processor, spread sheet, presentation preparation and delivery ?
    • why was the iPad itself itself so very aggressively priced ?

I think this is Jobs seizing financial/business control of a market ... it would be interesting to speculate what the price might have been if they could have launched late last year.

And I think making a very forceful statement: this IS different, this IS a game changer for what was a confused, emerging segment.

I think Steve Jobs will be driving his team very very hard over the next 60 and 90 days ... and their world wide developers conference could be an amazing event / platform for a second stage booster rocket launch !

Other thoughts:

• not enough was made of the home connectivity ... time to re-evaluate the MacMini Sever version
    • now they have to fix the AppleTV ... can no longer be seen as a "hobby"
    • look closely at the demonstration of the photo app and the multi-pick of other items they demonstrated ... then apply those principles to the table(t)-top and other applications, imagine: 
      • looking at your library of albums displayed in cover art, then go touch ... touch ... touch (hmm no maybe not that one, untouch) ... touch, now bundle, now drop onto a speaker, now sit back and listen . . . . . 
      • your collection of "to do" notes and post-its ... touch, touch, bundle, drop onto the calendar entry for tomorrow . . . . . 
      • your collection of photos, etc ... touched, bundled, and dropped onto "pages" of a medium,  ... now slide them around, twist some to interesting positions, resize others, and presto you have something you can publish: a photo album, wall calendar, blog page, or whatever . . . . .
      • playing an MMORPG ... touch where you want to go, it's direct it's immediate it's intuitive ... twist / pan the surface so you look where you want to look ... tap an opponent to knock them down ... pinch an object to pick it up . . . . .

I think once developers and content providers get their heads around the space they now have to play within we will see an explosion of creativity.

Ed

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-27-2010 9:39 PM In reply to

Ed,

All I have to say is: Tip of the iceberg!

I went from using my G5 tower -to-> using my iBook -to-> using my Touch.

The new iPad is EXACTLY what I am looking for in my next "tech" purchase!

I am a bit concerned about the "flash plugin" during the keynote... needs to be resolved! Any word out there on that?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-28-2010 12:53 AM In reply to

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 01-28-2010 1:50 AM In reply to

Is it true that it can only run one program at once, unlike an Imac?

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 01-28-2010 2:16 AM In reply to

beocool:

Is it true that it can only run one program at once, unlike an Imac?

Yes it can only do one thing at a time, just like an iphone.  There is NO MULTITASKING.  I'm a mac fanboy if there ever was one but this ipad could be a lot more.  Hopefully this will evolve in to what could be a truly great product.

• 01-28-2010 3:02 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

burantek:

Puncher:
    Do I take it your first name is Shaun?!Stick out tongue

Confused

ShaunWink

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-28-2010 3:30 AM In reply to

Apple guy: Dude did you see the new Ipad it rocks
    PC guy: No I didn't. Why is it so god?
    Apple guy: Well ammmm it has an apple logo on it and ammmm has apple os on it
    PC guy: Witch os? The new OSX?
    Apple guy: No apple said that OSX is not worthy for Ipad so they changed iphone os for Ipad
    PC guy: Isn't that a downgrade?
    Apple guy: No it's not. Apple knows the best what I want and if they say it won't support flash well then I don't need it
    PC guy: It doesn't support flash damn even the hello kitty phone support it
    Apple guy: You are just jealous you will see how good it is when I will buy it

A few days latter

PC guy: So how is the Ipad
    Apple guy: F**k you I didn't know that most web sites use flash and now it is used as photo viewer
    Stick out tongue

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 01-28-2010 3:51 AM In reply to

It's a shame that the display is backlit. Won't be as good as the other e-readers for reading then.

• 01-28-2010 4:29 AM In reply to

Puncher:

Hurrah - a giant iPod Touch........just what I needed.

Laughing

For the first time I'm with you Pounc on this !

Don't take me wrong, I'm a huge Apple fun ( typing this from iMac Smile ) ... But come on !!!

in design business we have one sentence " if you can't make it good make it BIG " ....

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 01-28-2010 5:10 AM In reply to

mr_anders_son:

but I dont understand the screen format?? 4:3? it´s not widescreen 16:9!!!

Can you imagine reading a book on a 16:9 screen?  This is aiming for the Kindle market and happens to do a hell of a lot of stuff the Kindle can't.  Like everything other than read a book.  If you want something that's primarily a video player that just happens to do other stuff, maybe this isn't for you.

jk1002:

Just note though that the Ipod application is probably weakest. Why can I download from Itunes store but can't grab anything from my own library?

Just one example. Why does that great UI experience ends there? why do I have to get up and dock it and then use my mouse to sync a piece of my own content .....

For the same reason you can't do that between your MacBook and iPhone or two iPhones.  The MPAA won't let them do that.

wirralsimon:

I am hoping it has suitable  video outputs, watching a movie on a ten-inch screen doesn't sound very appealing in widescreen or 4:3!

I'm sure they'll happily sell you a MacBook Air for your portable movie viewing pleasure.

soundproof:

And yes, all B&O need do is collaborate with PhilLondon in developing a Linkplayer App to run on this, with a B&O skin and perfect integration to B&O peripherals. They'd be smart to do so.

I'll bet you a beer they don't.  It would be nice.  But they won't.

macjonny1:

Yes it can only do one thing at a time, just like an iphone.  There is NO MULTITASKING.  I'm a mac fanboy if there ever was one but this ipad could be a lot more.  Hopefully this will evolve in to what could be a truly great product.

This is a software issue.  There was no point in it on the iPhone because of the weak processor but you can bet a lot of money that there are propellerheads working on this right now.

alenvprekrsku:

PC guy: So how is the Ipad
    Apple guy: F**k you I didn't know that most web sites use flash and now it is used as photo viewer
    Stick out tongue

Have you noticed how many major news websites have changed their webpages to remove Flash?  The iPhone is so ubiquitous that companies actually remove that stuff for it.  I think that's pretty cool.
    That said, it would be better if I could watch Strong Bad check his email but whatever.

Anyway, remember this is Rev A, software version 1 (despite being iPhone OS 3.2).  Remember the first iPod Touch that didn't have any apps so you had to jailbreak it just to make it useful?  Or the first iPhone and how the some of the apps just weren't that great?  Look at your Touch or your iPhone now. Big improvement.  Imagine what the tablet will be like in 2.5 years.

• 01-28-2010 7:45 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

nmartin771:

Puncher:

Laughing

Don't take me wrong, I'm a huge Apple fun ( typing this from iMac Smile ) ... But come on !!!

in design business we have one sentence " if you can't make it good make it BIG " ....

LINK

• 01-28-2010 8:38 AM In reply to

SWMBO wants one

'nuff said

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-28-2010 8:46 AM In reply to

Puncher:

nmartin771:

Puncher:

Laughing

LINK

My initial reaction is that Apple now has its own N-gage... but then again, there are a lot of people who will buy anything as long as it made by Apple so it may have the required momentum to catch on, we'll see.

The lack of multitasking - does it work so that other tasks are suspended on the background while one is being used, or do you need to close them altogether to be able to do something else? The former would be silly, but the latter a total disaster, back to the '80s...

-mika

• 01-28-2010 8:52 AM In reply to

Thanks for the link, Pounch.

Very level-headed look at it.

In my use, I don't see it as a ereader -the Kindle is that. The flash WILL BE resolved, short of sites pulling the feature as was mentioned. Multitasking is not a killer for me, after all, jumping in and out of apps on the iPhone/Touch is fluid and you don't get lost with what frames, etc... are open. With that said, I think we will see some sort of multitasking established prior to release, especially with the advent of the new iWork "lite" apps!

All in all, my take is that it is: Touch XL (as some have mentioned) but with a more comprehensive interface, and exactly what I am looking for. I am definitely going to get one. Just how it will completely integrate w/ my other gear will be sorted. My prelim thoughts are that I would use it as command center to control content on the G5/Network, and then relegate my Touch(es) as "link room" style remotes. Just picture it sitting in its dock on your bar, perhaps on a lazy-susan, and everyone enjoying it! The funny thing is that I love my Touch so much, that I was planning some sort of mod to push it to a touchscreen for the bar... now, I don't have to!

Again, this is just the tip of the iceberg!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-28-2010 8:58 AM In reply to

I will wait a generation or two before I think about buying one. Right now I dont see the value a $400 .

My old 2GB iPod Nano with the upside down fuzzy screen is still serving me well.I would probably just spend the extra $200 bucks and buy a new Mac Mini.

• 01-28-2010 9:41 AM In reply to

Eugene1960:

I will wait a generation or two before I think about buying one. Right now I dont see the value a $400 .

My old 2GB iPod Nano with the upside down fuzzy screen is still serving me well.I would probably just spend the extra $200 bucks and buy a new Mac Mini.

It would make no sense at all to use  the iPad as a portable music solution - it is way too big for a start -  so it won't be replacing your iPod Nano.

That said your iPod Nano doesn't speak to the outside world except via iTunes. Where the iPad  may well get very interesting is if it catches on with developers as it has the potential to do a great deal with the right applications, even with the limitations that have already been referred to.

Simon

Simon

• 01-28-2010 10:23 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

It would make a splendid controller for an DAW - I can't see the Lemur surviving this!

• 01-28-2010 11:20 AM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

Other thoughts:

• look closely at the demonstration of the photo app and the multi-pick of other items they demonstrated ... then apply those principles to the table(t)-top and other applications, imagine: 
      • looking at your library of albums displayed in cover art, then go touch ... touch ... touch (hmm no maybe not that one, untouch) ... touch, now bundle, now drop onto a speaker, now sit back and listen . . . . . 
      • your collection of "to do" notes and post-its ... touch, touch, bundle, drop onto the calendar entry for tomorrow . . . . . 
      • your collection of photos, etc ... touched, bundled, and dropped onto "pages" of a medium,  ... now slide them around, twist some to interesting positions, resize others, and presto you have something you can publish: a photo album, wall calendar, blog page, or whatever . . . . .
      • playing an MMORPG ... touch where you want to go, it's direct it's immediate it's intuitive ... twist / pan the surface so you look where you want to look ... tap an opponent to knock them down ... pinch an object to pick it up . . . . .

I think once developers and content providers get their heads around the space they now have to play within we will see an explosion of creativity.

Ed

Ed,

Sounds like you are describing an advanced version of "Bumptop" from 2006/7:

http://blog.ted.com/2007/06/bumptop_demo_fr.php

Seek simplicity and distrust it. Alfred North Whitehead
  • 01-28-2010 12:02 PM In reply to

tournedos:

Puncher:

nmartin771:

Puncher:

Laughing

LINK

My initial reaction is that Apple now has its own N-gage... but then again, there are a lot of people who will buy anything as long as it made by Apple so it may have the required momentum to catch on, we'll see.

The lack of multitasking - does it work so that other tasks are suspended on the background while one is being used, or do you need to close them altogether to be able to do something else? The former would be silly, but the latter a total disaster, back to the '80s...

Mika, as it's based on the iPhone OS, the other applications are "suspended" not closed down. You start where you left.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-28-2010 12:08 PM In reply to

No iSight camera arghhhh.

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 01-28-2010 12:20 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

It would make a splendid controller for an DAW - I can't see the Lemur surviving this!

Yes, that it would. I briefly tried something similar on the iPod touch but of course you could only see 4 faders. iPad is big enough to be a really usable control/mix surface.

Also, it would make an amazing 'portastudio' or supercompact DAW in its own right. Something really simple and basic but essentially a 4-track. Yes OK I'm from the 80s.

• 01-28-2010 12:27 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Loving all the priceless PC guys pointing out that it doesn't run Flash...

Yeah! It doesn't even have a floppy drive! It sucks! Big Smile

• 01-28-2010 2:09 PM In reply to

The missing flash is not just pointed out by PC guys. It's not just the flash, it is the inability to run any kind of plug ins. And to say that mayor websites remove flash, show me that trend. Flash is a mayor tool when it comes to running on line adds. That is why application like "click to flash" pop up because it can get really annoying - so that's a plus. That decision does make a lot of sense to me, by the way since heat is a mayor problem and flash and plug ins like silverlight require a lot of processor power and cause heating.

I do thing that the technology inside the Ipad is a huge leap compared to the iphone - it just doesn't show that much on the front. I am just somewhat disappointed that the Music App looks somewhat weak, Video I don't care so much. A Version of IWeb so I can publish to my mobile me site would have been nice. An updated Remote app could have been killer. The Iwork is in my opinion a waste since nearly nobody is going to switch from office because of that.

Anyway, I think a lot depends on the SDK - it can definitely do more then an Iphone, it will just take some time and I know that within a year they update it with even faster processor and the memory I like.

What bummed me the most is, that huge thing has only 64GB max, that means that Itouch or Iphone is not going to see 128 anytime soon and I was hoping for that.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 01-28-2010 2:33 PM In reply to

jk1002:
    A Version of IWeb so I can publish to my mobile me site would have been nice. ...... The Iwork is in my opinion a waste since nearly nobody is going to switch from office because of that.

I think the reason Steve Jobs pushed the iWorks team was so that developers would think outside the iPhone box.

The message is: you can "tweak" Mac applications to run on this device.

[of course we don't know how big a "tweak" it was ... just the UI? or more fundamental than that? partially of course that depends on how well architect the application is]

Page 3 of 5 (120 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >