in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-15-2007 2:58 AM by Daniel Seiler. 184 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (185 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-15-2007 11:31 AM

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

My trip to Struer. By Andy T. Photo's by Andy T.

Locked Contact

As I have just learned how to shrink photo's into a postable size, I have decided to give you all an insight into my Struer trip.
    Over the next few days/weeks/years I will attempt to give a commentary with photo's of my four day visit.
    Any fellow visitors who do not want their photo'  to appear on here, please PM me.
    Here goes...

Day one Saturday April 28 2007
    I flew from Manchester to Copenhagen where I connected with a flight to Karup. The second flight was in a small propellor driven plane and it was a glorious day so I had a wonderful view of the Danish countryside. Very arable land with a multitude of crops spreading out like a patchwork quilt. I couldn't help but notice the Danes are very fond of wind turbines, they were everywhere!
    Karup airport is very, very small and there were only about twenty other people on my flight, so when we landed they dissipated rather rapidly into rented cars and family members cars leaving me and one young Danish student alone in a virtually desserted airport.
    I was expecting a row of taxis hungrily waiting for potential fares but, alas, there were none so I went inside the terminal which appeared to be staffed by one lady alone. She kindly phoned a taxi for me, I later found that it was one of her family members! He charged me £60 for the twenty-five minute journey to Struer!
    I went straight into the Grand Hotel and up to my room. Bit disappointing, very spartan but it had a B&O telly. Don't remember which model but it was that old that the Beolink 1000 remote was the one with the button "Print" on it. THe first two photo's are from my bedroom window and the next is of my room.

Remember, left click on any picture to see it full size.

To be continued.......

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 11:32 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: My trip to Struer. By Andy T. Photo's by Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 11:32 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 1:39 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Well, as I was the first to arrive and therefore aloneSad and as it was mid afternoon and blazing sunshine I decided to go for a shufty.
    In England, Saturday afternoon is about the busiest time of the week so I thought I'd go into Struer and locate the local B&O dealer and have a look round all the shops.
    What a shock! The place was desserted. All the shops were shut and in an hour of walking up and down the main street I think I saw three people! The next four pictures were taken on Saturday afternoon.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 1:40 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 1:41 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 2:07 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

After a long walk round the town, I did come across a bar where people were sitting out drinking in the sunshine. It was called "The Danke Pinguin" or something similar. It translates as "The Happy Penguin". I didn't stop but planned to go there after I'd freshened up.
    I went back to The Grand and had a quick look round. In the bar there was a Huge flat B&O TV on the far wall. I'm not very good with the names but I think it was BV7 and all around the bar and restaurant were Beolab 4000s, about ten of them!
    I went to my room and stood at the open mini-verandah door to have a cigarette and look down at the crossroads below (Photo 1 ) I was surprised to see how law abiding Danish people were. People would press the button to cross the crossing and then quite happily wait for a green man even though there wasn't a car in sight for miles around! I also noticed a lack of litter and grafitti.
    Any way the next beoworlders weren't due to arrive until midnight (Lee and Ed) so after a shower I went back to the Happy Penguin to sample some Danish beer.  Feeling a little bit squiffy at about quarter to midnight, I thought I'd better go back to the Grand to meet and greet Lee and Ed then go to bed.
    It didn't work like that!!!
    We all trollopped off back to the Happy Penguin. In the next three hours I got to know Lee and Ed. What fine people they are. Lee was just as I imagined him to be, young, dynamic, friendly polite and caring. And Ed--- Happy-go-lucky, full of fun and a pleasure to be with. I can barely remember the walk back to the Hotel, but what a thoroughly good evening. Anyway tomorrow was Sunday and the Farm visit wasn't 'til Monday morning. Time to sober up.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 2:26 PM In reply to

Thanks for the nice pictures Andy. I am sure you all enjoyed the time there  Smile

Bruno 

• 06-15-2007 2:33 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Cheers Bruno! There's a lot more to come yet. At this rate it will take me about three weeks to complete this thread.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 2:47 PM In reply to

Very impressed! Do keep going!
  • 06-15-2007 2:57 PM In reply to

• Tibor
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Budapest, Hungary
    • Posts 36
    • Founder

Hi Andy, Please continue the "Struer story" ! :-)

Next step: BV7-40 or BS3 with projector ?

• 06-15-2007 5:00 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Very good idea, Andy! Keep on!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 06-15-2007 5:20 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Gosh! I thought you were all going to Boo and Hiss me off. Well I'll do at bit more then.

Day two   Sunday April 29 2007.

I set my Serene to wake me up at 8.30 on Sunday as I didn't want to miss breakfast that finished at 9.00.
    Oh my goodness! My head was throbbing and what was that in my throat? It felt like a marble!
    I stumbled into the bathroom and opened wide in front of the mirror. It was my epiglottis (the dangly bit at the back of your throat)  it had swollen to the size of a butter bean! Had I been snoring badly or was it something to do with the strange small drinks that Ed had been plying us with? They were hot and you drunk them by tapping them on the table three times then chucking them down your neck!!
    Anyway, I thought the best thing to do was to gargle with cold water perhaps that would reduce the swelling. What a Fiasco! When I gargled, it made me cough and splutter and take a rapid intake of breath. I nearly inhaled my own epiglottis!
    Eventually I made it down for breakfast and two of our French Beoworlders were just finnishing theirs. It was Phillipe and Robin who I had spoken to briefly yesterday evening. They were just about to go out. Ed was knocking about, all fresh and crisp and raring to go. He said he'd meet me in the carpark after my breakfast.
    Ed had rented some average car but they'd given him a fine black Audi and he had told me a few day's earlier that he would be happy to chaufeurr me about in it. This is Ed on Sunday morning

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 5:22 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 5:58 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Well we decided to leave Lee in bed as he hadn't slept since about November, he'd been busy getting the new beoworld going (Bless!)
    Ed and I decided we'd go and look at The Farm.
    Ed was a bit suprised when he stopped at some traffic lights and I shouted "GEAR" you see I'm a driving instructor and can't stop myself! If he'd tried moving off in third, he would probably have stalled.
    Anyway we got to The Farm and this is what greeted us.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 5:59 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Got used to seeing Ed in this posture!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 6:01 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Good job this is a bad picture! This is me, not being myselfIck!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-15-2007 6:07 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

That's enough for tonight. Tomorrow's episode includes our visit to Frede on the island of Veno.
    Don't forget to tune in, only here on Beoworld!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-16-2007 3:21 AM In reply to

• kaka
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-13-2007
    • Posts 23
    • Silver Member

This is really great - please keep going, o we get photos of the inside of The Farm??
  • 06-16-2007 3:43 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Nice one Andy. A good way of showing the trip. ThanksYesCool
  • 06-16-2007 2:29 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Patience Kaka! All good things come to he who waits.
    Having said that, the Aston Martin hasn't arrived yet and I've been wating 48 years.

Ed and I decided to have a wander round the outside of The Farm. Unbelievably, there wasn't a soul in sight. There was a security gate with two barriers for in and out traffic but both barriers were up and there was no security guard about.
    I felt a bit guilty as we parked the car in the empty carpark but, what the heck, if we were acosted I could always put the blame on Ed! Wink
    We walked down the full length of the building, peering in at every window with our hands shielding the reflections from the brightness of the spring day. I was secretly hoping to find some evidence of the existence of Beo5 but it seemed to be one canteen after another!
    As we rounded the end of the long building, this iconic sight hit us!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-16-2007 2:30 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

We walked, awestruck, right up to it.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-16-2007 2:31 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 1 of 8 (185 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »