in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-25-2009 2:25 AM by craig_c. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-24-2009 12:09 AM

Any value in my MMC 4000?

My Beogram 4002 crapped out. Problems with the linear tracking screw-drive.

It has a MMC 4000 mounted on it that seemed to my (less than stellar) ears to work fine.

I'm wondering if there is any value in putting it up for sale?

If so, are there classified ads on this site? Is eBay the way to go?

Any response is helpful.

thanks in advance,

Craig

• 02-24-2009 11:27 AM In reply to

Re: Any value in my MMC 4000?

I would advertise on eBay. If you have the box, you will get a better price.

However, what is wrong with your 4002? These can be repaired - just has three such decks repaired myself and you will then have something worth having. By itself the MMC4000 is certainly worth something though personally I would not buy such an old cartridge - the suspension will be hard.

• 02-24-2009 1:07 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I'm in total agreement with Peter.

I'm sure if you let us know the exact problem with your 4002 it can be fixed.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-25-2009 1:12 AM In reply to

3 weeks after I got the TT, the transport halted half way through a record (do we still say record?). I opened up the deck, carefully!, and saw that the screw drive of the tone arm transport was gummed up. "I'm not without some technical skills", says I, so I decide to remove it, clean it, relubricate it, and put it back in.

Two results:

1.- The tonearm still wouldn't move. It is either misaligned, or the little nylon capstan that rides on the screwdrive is positioned badly, or the weird black plastic 2 piece armature is misadjusted, or the drive belt on the little wheel is too old. Or some damn thing.

2.- In the process (though I humbly considered myself technically competent) I must have bumped the tonearm somehow, without noticing. Still don't know how that happened, but in any case the tonearm was pointing in the general direction of the spindle. I pushed it back toward straight alignment, but I have no idea how to check if there are parts broken inside the tonearm mechanism. I doubt it is meant to move through that kind of arc.

I spoke with a recommended audio repair facility in San Jose CA, near me, whose tech said that while he could undoubtedly fix it, he was unfamiliar with B&O gear. It is hard to estimate cost, but figure minimum $300. Even then, he said, B&O gear was never as good as the price would indicate. Plus, a new cartridge for the 4002 would run about $280. -- I'd be better off with spending the repair $$ on a new TT, such as a Pro-Ject.

This all took the wind out of my sails. It seems I am the proud owner of an architecturally beautiful example of high design, but utterly useless.

So, that's the story. I don't even know how to get into the tonearm suspension housing to see if it is broken. I'm even afraid to attempt to take the dust cover off for fear the heavy duty springs will snap the acrylic, or my fingers. I have no repair manual.

If you guys think this is not hopeless, I'd love to hear your position. I'm deflated.

But let me be clear, I appreciate very much your contribution and responses to my postings.

Craig

• 02-25-2009 1:49 AM In reply to

So despite the fact that he is unfamiliar with B&O, he is qualified to say that B&O turntables are not that good! Laughing The 4002 was actually converted vt a group of US audiophiles into a top deck in the 80s. Yes, it is expensive but it is also better built than any low or mid end deck available today.

He is however quite correct that the deck will not be that cheap to fix and that new cartridges are expensive. The service manuals are available on site for silver members but to be fair, this is not really a deck to be repaired by a beginner. The dust cover is however easy - there are two captive bolts accessible from underneath. Loosen the two big screws holding them and the lid assembly simply slides off backwards.

Being based in the UK, I cannot recommend a repairer near you - maybe a US member can help?

• 02-25-2009 2:25 AM In reply to

"So despite the fact that he is unfamiliar with B&O, he is qualified to say that B&O turntables are not that good!"

Well, I thought the same thing at the time. But I've heard the same opinion from others. I also think that he meant that he's not familiar with repairing them, but that he's familiar with their performance, compared to other gear. Exactly WHAT other gear, who knows? I wouldn't expect the 4002 to match a contemporary $800 TT.

By bumping the tonearm askew, am I correct in thinking that I've seriously broken something?

Thanks for the fast response.

Craig

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)