in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-04-2007 8:14 AM by francis. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-22-2007 7:26 PM

B&O & Mac...

My living room Ouverture is hooked up to my Powerbook via Airport Express and it's all good. Have Speaker's outside on the deck connected via Masterlink to a Beolink and passive speakers. Problem is that the IR sensor seems to have got wet and is not working anymore ...some corrosion on the cable connector does not look to serious but still does not work anymore...

My main point:
    I'd like to contral Front Row Music via my BEO4 remote control and options seem to be:

- IRTrans, iRED, BEO4 and Front Row
    - Beoport - what about IR interface? How does it control MAC - guess I need BM-LINK? Is this for Music only or Front Row supported also?
    - Then there's Lintronic Universal Remote which seems like a great way to control EVERYTHING off BEO4

What does Beoport give me that Airport express does not and where can I buy one? Can't find new and ebay seems devoid of them also...

Thanks in advance,
    Vivian
  • 06-01-2007 6:02 AM In reply to

Re: B&O & Mac...

Hey Vivian

When looking for Beoport on eBay, do also look for "Beolink PC 2" (must be PC 2, the older Beolink PC would not work). That is the old name for the box.

Beoport is a HW box that connects via Masterlink to your Ouverture and via headphone and USB cable to your powerbook. B&O does not offer software for the Mac - for which I am quite happy given the stability of the BeoPlayer for Windows. So you will have to load Anders' Ödlund tool "BM-Link" on your Powerbook (http://www.odlund.se/bmlink/) to be able to control iTunes via Beoport.

Once everything is installed, you switch your Ouverture to N.MUSIC (you will have to add the command on your Beo4), which causes the Powerbook to launch iTunes and play the selected songs. You can then jump from one song to the next, back etc., basically everything you would expect from controlling the CD-player.

If you spend some additional money on an IR-eye for the Beoport, you can also control FrontRow with it. There is one drawback, however: To be able to address the Beoport IR-eye, you will have to switch your Beo4 to PC. For my taste this makes the thing too complicated: First switcht to N.MUSIC to start listening to iTunes, then switch to PC to control Front Row ... I'd rather control iTunes directly, without engaging Front Row.

Also, you may want to add the command N.RADIO to Beo4. This would allow you to listen to Netradio. The preferred stations would have to be grouped in a playlist called N.RADIO. 

Apart from not having to buy and install Airport, the thing I like most is that I can control iTunes from any room in the house where I have a linked B&O device present. 

Hope this helps

Best regards

Stefan

• 06-02-2007 8:35 AM In reply to

zuegers07:

If you spend some additional money on an IR-eye for the Beoport, you can also control FrontRow with it. There is one drawback, however: To be able to address the Beoport IR-eye, you will have to switch your Beo4 to PC. For my taste this makes the thing too complicated: First switcht to N.MUSIC to start listening to iTunes, then switch to PC to control Front Row ... I'd rather control iTunes directly, without engaging Front Row.

Stefan

If you select PC, frontrow can start if you like. Then you can select music, iTunes will start up. There is no need to start N.Music upfront.

Apple Airport Express is for low budget music distribution in the room(s) where AAE is connected. 
    Beoport does the same, but has several more advantages:
    1. can be controled with BEO4
    2. you are able to select music in other ML rooms
    3. visual feedback if you use a Mac + FrontRow and a B&O TV
    4. can scroll info on the audio set
    Disadvantage is:
    1. you'll need an up to date B&O music system.
  • 06-04-2007 8:14 AM In reply to

• francis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Münster, Germany
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

zuegers07:

Once everything is installed, you switch your Ouverture to N.MUSIC (you will have to add the command on your Beo4), which causes the Powerbook to launch iTunes and play the selected songs. You can then jump from one song to the next, back etc., basically everything you would expect from controlling the CD-player.

If

Sorry to say, but proven by my own experience, the Ouverture defintely does not support N.Music and N.Radio. If you press the commands on your Beo4, any Ouverture will switch to Phono or A.Aux.

From the old "Ouverture-style" systems, only newer versions of Beosound 3000 and BS 3200 will support N.Music out of the box or are at least upgradeable.

francis

|BV 7-32|BL 7-1|Ouverture|BL Penta|BL 6000|BL 2000|Beocom 6000|Beotalk 1200|MX 4000|Beoport|Beo4|Beo5|A8|A9|

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)