in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-31-2008 4:46 AM by BundOAlex. 65 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-27-2008 7:07 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoSound 5 costs 4.710,-€

wonderfulelectric:

Pardon me. From what I recall, those systems had at least built-in hard drives and cd loaders. Anyways what I don't like about the Beosound 5 is the fact that it is not a network media controller. It is kinda outdated from its inception. Tragic.  

WE, I think some of the exasperation caused in these discussions is that some of the BeoSound 5's detractors will remark that it is far too expensive to be offered without a cd burner, wireless remote, wine chiller, or what ever feature they see it fatally missing.  While at the same time commenters (occasionally the same ones) point to SooLoos, Linn, or Lord help up, Kaliedescape.  

So, which is it?  If the BS-5 is too expensive, how can the folks at SooLoos sleep at night?  Or is it dead because it isn't completely self contained?

In my opinion, no one is likely to even consider the purchase of a BeoSound 5 who does not already have at least one computer at home which is already used for music ripping/purchase/storage/transfer.  Am I wrong?  Really?  Is anyone here going to re-burn a couple of hundred CD's just for BeoMaster 5?  Was it Puncher with 28,000 tracks already on his hard drive.

And, OK, I understand that I might be in a really big hurry to listen to my brand new CD on my BS-5...but if I run to the iMac and burn it there, then it's already for my BeoSound 2, my iPod, the AppleTV AND the BeoSound 5 all at once.  Are you all so concerned about being able to load the BS/BM 5 directly that you're anxious to do that twice

Really? 

For the difference in price betwen BeoSOund 5 and the SooLoos system, I could buy a new iMac AND a BV-8.   

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 12-27-2008 7:29 PM In reply to

Why does the BeoSound 5 matter?

See my take at http://beotrip.blogspot.com/ 

Instead of the egregiously long posts to these threads, I'll keep posting quickies but offer the "treatise" off-board. This will avoid my having to keep re-posting the same points over and over.

I would suggest the same approach for a few others who serially opine. (http://itstooexpensive.blogspot.com is currently available) 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-29-2008 5:39 AM In reply to

wonderfulelectric:
     koning:

avus17:
    I have visited my dealer yesterday to see the new BeoSound 5. The price is very high 4.710,-€ for a MP3/Net.Radio streamer with a wheel and display. My dealer told me that for the price it will be hard to sell it as there is no CD mechanism in the new sound system. What do you think? I had also troubles to play with the new sound machine at it seemed a little bit complicated.

I think that in the next 5 years the cd comes to is end!

This is the rightway for B&O.

The price compared to sooloos - linn - naim makes B&O cheap.

Pardon me. From what I recall, those systems had at least built-in hard drives and cd loaders. Anyways what I don't like about the Beosound 5 is the fact that it is not a network media controller. It is kinda outdated from its inception. Tragic.  

Linn Akurate DS: 5117 euro.  No cd player! 

Ermm... that's a wifi D/A converter. Not a music media controller. Big dif!

• 12-29-2008 5:46 AM In reply to

RussR:
    wonderfulelectric:

WE, I think some of the exasperation caused in these discussions is that some of the BeoSound 5's detractors will remark that it is far too expensive to be offered without a cd burner, wireless remote, wine chiller, or what ever feature they see it fatally missing.  While at the same time commenters (occasionally the same ones) point to SooLoos, Linn, or Lord help up, Kaliedescape.  

So, which is it?  If the BS-5 is too expensive, how can the folks at SooLoos sleep at night?  Or is it dead because it isn't completely self contained?

In my opinion, no one is likely to even consider the purchase of a BeoSound 5 who does not already have at least one computer at home which is already used for music ripping/purchase/storage/transfer.  Am I wrong?  Really?  Is anyone here going to re-burn a couple of hundred CD's just for BeoMaster 5?  Was it Puncher with 28,000 tracks already on his hard drive.

And, OK, I understand that I might be in a really big hurry to listen to my brand new CD on my BS-5...but if I run to the iMac and burn it there, then it's already for my BeoSound 2, my iPod, the AppleTV AND the BeoSound 5 all at once.  Are you all so concerned about being able to load the BS/BM 5 directly that you're anxious to do that twice

Really? 

For the difference in price betwen BeoSOund 5 and the SooLoos system, I could buy a new iMac AND a BV-8.   

Erm well... That's you. I never said that the Beosound 5 is too expensive. It is just a very gimmicky product. It practically does nothing well: no wifi streaming of music, no control of networked storage, no multimedia control, no cd loader or hard disk, and if I am not wrong it doesn't interface with itunes aside from simply streaming from it. So you have to buy a B&O centre to store your music before you can maximize the Beosound 5's potential. I was kinda excited about the Beosound 5 but now it's like do I even want it if I receive it as a gift. 

• 12-29-2008 7:39 AM In reply to

Having read the user guide, I can also add that BeoSound 5 has another weakness, the same as BeoMedia: there is no synchronization between the PC music files and the BeoMaster 5! Whenever you add a file to one, you need to copy it manually to the other, same when you delete one folder on one, it is still present on the other..[:'(].

People will have much fun when they edit their playlists or try to find a radio station on the PC, you'll have to edit 8,000 radio stations twice!

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 12-29-2008 9:20 AM In reply to

Chris, that isn't true of either the BeoMedia or the BeoSound 5. Where did you come to the idea that there was no automatic synchronization?

I have it working here at home with my own Macs. You simply set iTunes to locate its music on the BeoMedia and choose the option to keep it organized. Then you can set a backup at regular intervals if you want a backup copy somewhere (which iTunes would not do anyway).

It's actually quite easy! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-29-2008 9:25 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

I beg your pardon.

My Fiat Coupe is a nearly a Ferrari.

• 12-29-2008 10:47 AM In reply to

Sorry Trip, but you're using a Mac and ITunes, in that case sync will work!
    With Windows XP and BeoPlayer or BeoSound, we poor fellows have NO synchronization between PC and BeoMedia./BeoMaster 5...Sad

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 12-29-2008 11:35 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

Chris, that isn't true of either the BeoMedia or the BeoSound 5. Where did you come to the idea that there was no automatic synchronization?

I have it working here at home with my own Macs. You simply set iTunes to locate its music on the BeoMedia and choose the option to keep it organized. Then you can set a backup at regular intervals if you want a backup copy somewhere (which iTunes would not do anyway).

It's actually quite easy! 

Do you actually have a working one? All the ones I have seen only accept the music put on by B&O. I was told the software was not ready yet.

• 12-29-2008 1:00 PM In reply to

I have used a working one. None of the working ones are in shops, but this feature of the interface will not change. The HD on the BeoMaster 5 will act, essentially, like NAS. It's not so much a feature of the BeoMaster so much as iTunes ability to locate and organize its content on any available drive.

• 12-29-2008 4:35 PM In reply to

avus17:
    I have visited my dealer yesterday to see the new BeoSound 5. The price is very high 4.710,-€ for a MP3/Net.Radio streamer with a wheel and display. My dealer told me that for the price it will be hard to sell it as there is no CD mechanism in the new sound system. What do you think? I had also troubles to play with the new sound machine at it seemed a little bit complicated.

Quick Answer. Buy your BS5 in the UK. It's on sale for around £3750. - thats a saving of nearly 1000Euro with todays exchange rate of 1 to 1.

10% 

• 12-29-2008 4:40 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Mr10Percent:

avus17:

Quick Answer. Buy your BS5 in the UK. It's on sale for around £3750. - thats a saving of nearly 1000Euro with todays exchange rate of 1 to 1.

10% 

When's the next price adjustment due - does anyone know?? It could seriously scupper the UK market, a potential ~50% increase!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-29-2008 4:46 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

When's the next price adjustment due - does anyone know?? It could seriously scupper the UK market, a potential ~50% increase!

I've just heard in the high-end watch market that Richemont (Panerai, IWC etc) intend yet-another price increase 1st of Feb 09 to 'align UK prices with the rest of Europe'. Gulp.

Something may happen in the UK or, as people have mentioned above, it's going to be really easy for anyone in the Euro zone to book a day trip to the UK to pick up their equipment!

• 12-29-2008 4:53 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

moxxey:
    Puncher:

I've just heard in the high-end watch market that Richemont (Panerai, IWC etc) intend yet-another price increase 1st of Feb 09 to 'align UK prices with the rest of Europe'. Gulp.

Something may happen in the UK or, as people have mentioned above, it's going to be really easy for anyone in the Euro zone to book a day trip to the UK to pick up their equipment!

I would suggest they do it at their earliest opportunity, there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the UK tunnel!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-30-2008 5:28 PM In reply to

For me the price is not the issue, the key is everything working together simelessly without pain!!!

I have beoVision 9, Beovision 7, and 8 with a 9000 and BeoLab1 blah blah blah i love the stuff its very addictive.

My issue is Beo seem to being left behind and there main gap which they dont fill is distibuted video, and the video they do distribute is via SD on RF... The beoMaster 5 has all the hardware capabilites to store and send stored video i.e divX, AVI MP4 etc as its just a windows XP PC but they dont seem to be making the moves to do it, so as it stands its just another Sexy music device.. but i have an Apple TV connected to my PowerPC and BeoVision 9 for that and the coolest controller interface via iRemote on my iPhone....(which if you have not used it you have to get it its awsome)

So please please please beo sort it out make beoMaster 5 the device it deserves to be... I am also informed that they are looking at making the ML digital, now if they do that the world is their lobster as they could then distribute full HD over IP rather than using old RF techolgy.....has anyone else heard this rumour..

Andy

Filed under: ,
  • 12-31-2008 4:46 AM In reply to

Yes,

Digital MasterLink should come around 2010-2011, if not sooner, regarding the decreasing turnover situation at B&O. This will be a major step for B&O as they will also introduce a new digital software plattform for all new products.  The on-screen graphics on new products will be revamped to resemble the new BeoSound 5 GUI called "Callisto". You can get a glimpse of the new style with the new DVB-HD module available for the BeoSystem 3 based products soon.

Lets see how Bang performs on this new territory.

Page 3 of 3 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3