in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-31-2008 4:46 AM by BundOAlex. 65 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-26-2008 5:28 PM In reply to

• plagente
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Albi (France)
    • Posts 137
    • Silver Member

Re: BeoSound 5 costs 4.710,-€

Many B&O potential customers for the BS5 will go to Apple.

Question of functionalities and costs.

Buy an Apple TV and keep your money for the Beolab 5. 

http://p-lagente.blogspot.com/

• 12-26-2008 7:15 PM In reply to

plagente:

Perhaps true, how sad....

Of course the same applies in many walks of life. Why buy a Ferrari when you can buy can buy a Fiat after all they do more or less exactly the same thing, why buy an Apple when you can buy a no name PC from the supermarket, why buy B&O when you can buy Sony...the list goes on.  I am also not quite sure why a £3k BS9000 is ok but a £3.5k BS5 is not, when it in many ways offers so much more. I am afraid it comes down to whether you want to pay the money or not. There will always be a cheaper alternative (perhaps just as good, perhaps functionally better) but it will never offer that indefinable extra that the B&O brand is. If that were not true then this discussion and this forum would not exist.

• 12-26-2008 7:58 PM In reply to

Propaganda, right, however B&O is the Fiat with a Ferrari pricetag... (Regarding BS5)

At this point it's just wrong. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-27-2008 4:16 AM In reply to

propaganda:
    plagente:

Of course the same applies in many walks of life. Why buy a Ferrari when you can buy can buy a Fiat after all they do more or less exactly the same thing, why buy an Apple when you can buy a no name PC from the supermarket, why buy B&O when you can buy Sony...the list goes on.  I am also not quite sure why a £3k BS9000 is ok but a £3.5k BS5 is not, when it in many ways offers so much more. I am afraid it comes down to whether you want to pay the money or not. There will always be a cheaper alternative (perhaps just as good, perhaps functionally better) but it will never offer that indefinable extra that the B&O brand is. If that were not true then this discussion and this forum would not exist.

Because in this case, the alternatives are simply better performing. The BS9000 is a stunning piece of kit - the Ferrari analogy works here - good looking and excellent performance. The BS5 is quite good looking but is very limited by being fixed in position, the controls do not have a quality feel - far too light - and it has limited storage in an era where lossless will become the norm.  Not Ferrari, I am afraid. More Lancia - Fiat innards at an expensive price and quite likely to be disastrous on the UK market. Add to that the fact that it doesn't actually work properly yet and we have a product in difficulty. If it were a proper mobile remote for the BM5 along the lines of an MCP, now that would have been something.

• 12-27-2008 4:31 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Isn't it possible to write a "movie" script for the bs5 ? I mean, it's just a expensive computer with a good DAC, and it should be possible to install new software/plugins.

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 12-27-2008 4:32 AM In reply to

• plagente
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Albi (France)
    • Posts 137
    • Silver Member

propaganda:
    plagente:

BS5 is not an innovative product. It's a PC with a wired remote control !!!  Waouuuuuuu, after 5 years of R&D....

On the other hand give me one example of something approaching the BS9000 concept. In fact, it's unique, exclusive that's why we put 3 000 £.

http://p-lagente.blogspot.com/

• 12-27-2008 5:11 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

*bites nails*

B&o needs to take note of these understandable and valid user opinions.

We would have been better off with a new product that they do best, a sub woofer with the competence of the BL5's bass reproduction... just a thought.

B&o should employ you as a serious focus group, you should be paid for this brainstorming you all do here. Whats the bet there is an employee in the factory alocated to spend 8 hours a day researching these forums? Bet ya bottom dollar!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 12-27-2008 5:24 AM In reply to

I 'm wondering what TripEnglish thinks of all those Negative post?

He was afterall the one who said "it's such a great product,you all want one"

• 12-27-2008 5:43 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

My assumption is that some dealers may need to go into denial mode (chanting - it's such a great product it's such a great product it's such a great product it's such a great product) You need to believe in something to sell it

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 12-27-2008 6:17 AM In reply to

Dave:

*bites nails*

We would have been better off with a new product that they do best, a sub woofer with the competence of the BL5's bass reproduction... just a thought.

B&o should employ you as a serious focus group, you should be paid for this brainstorming you all do here. Whats the bet there is an employee in the factory alocated to spend 8 hours a day researching these forums? Bet ya bottom dollar!

I am sure that B&O read the forum - in fact I know they do. But the forum is not typical of the customer base.  We are enthusiasts and although we do come up with some good ideas, these will frequently not be relevant to today's market. However I am sure that attention is given to some of our criticisms and even some of our flights of fancy!

• 12-27-2008 6:23 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter :
    Dave:

*bites nails*

I am sure that B&O read the forum - in fact I know they do. But the forum is not typical of the customer base.  We are enthusiasts and although we do come up with some good ideas, these will frequently not be relevant to today's market. However I am sure that attention is given to some of our criticisms and even some of our flights of fancy!

Yup! - keep an eye out for the upcoming B&O battery operated fish with red flashing eyes, you can use it to mute your music or skip tracks from the bath or showerBig Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-27-2008 8:29 AM In reply to

plagente:

BS5 is not an innovative product. It's a PC with a wired remote control !!!  Waouuuuuuu, after 5 years of R&D....

On the other hand give me one example of something approaching the BS9000 concept. In fact, it's unique, exclusive that's why we put 3 000 £.

I kind of understand where you are coming from, but if it was wireless would that be ok? I am not quite sure what you want. I think the BS5 looks good and is fairly distinctive. The BS9000 is a great product but it is getting old now. I was recently told by a dealer that the customers who buy them tend to be those who have always wanted one but could never have afforded one until now, rather than new to the brand customers. The product deserves it's iconic status, but I still think that the BS5 will offer more. Perhaps they have overpriced the BS5 and that has led to the negativity. My criticism of the product is the wiring to the bland box. Perhaps adding a cd drive to the beomaster would have been a sensible move, I am not sure it would have cost that much in production terms, but suspect it's omission may be more to do with the decision to use the beomedia 1 casing than anything else. Addition of a DAB radio would have been nice also.

I still stick to my Ferrari/Fiat analogy in terms of the alternatives. OK, well maybe Alfa Romeo/Fiat I will concede that - Alfas look great....

• 12-27-2008 9:16 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

I think the only real negative thing on Beosound 5 is its price.

If they sell the complete system at 3000 Euro it would be a very great deal and attract more customers.
    It's important that they improve mechanical quality.

I realy like the BS5 and  I'm going to buy one and support my dealer :-)

We shouldn't discuss about issues with other brands.

For example:
    I use a Beosound 3000 as my main cd-player and audio-system while having a Sony XA50-ES CD-Player etc.
    The Sony CD player is WAY better build than the Beosound, the Sony is build like a tank and weights as much as the complete Beosound System and the technical details are higher quality than B&O. I realy love it but it's not as decent and charming as the Beosound.
    It's the same as Accuphase components: Build like a tank, too and I personaly think you can throw an Accuphase CD-Player or Amplifier trough the windows down to concrete and it will still work ;-)

But the Beosound is greeting me with its own language of saying "Hello, nice to get used by you!"

It's the same with  Beosound 5! After I touched it for the first time I was in love. It felt and looked much better than expected. The photos don't do justice.

The Beosound 5 realy has some magic if you see it in flesh and I love it.
    The fact that it will be produced in Denmark is another big pro argument to buy it!

I can use Beoport, I can use my Mac with my iPhone but  it's not the same ...and personaly I think Apple should NOT dominate the audio-market like they do with the iPod.
    The iPod is simple and great to use but in terms of sound quality it is not worth the money.

The "3 cables required" (USB, DVI, Power) problem with the Beosound 5 is NOT a problem in my opinion. It was a good choice by B&O that they use standard connections and not one proprietary connector. With USB, DVI and a normal power-connection you are much more flexible installing the unit into your home!
    For the professional installations there are enough system to get USB- or Videosignals over LAN connections etc. and this would be impossible if Bang & Olufsen choosed a proprietary connector!
    I personaly will try out if it is possible to split the DVI-connection. This would give you the option to get the Beosound 5 interfacedisplay into a linkroom with a small terminaldisplay or similar solutions.

So let's "support" Bang & Olufsen especialy products that are "Made in Denmark". Perhaps they understand what we want :-)

• 12-27-2008 9:35 AM In reply to

I agree. Although I would prefer that they offer a cable option where the 3 individual cables are wrapped in an outer casing.
  • 12-27-2008 11:33 AM In reply to

The problem you have is the length of the USB cable. Maximum length will be 5m. I have a 10m cable between the BC2 and BC2 switch unit. 5m just would not be enough. This is why it should have been wireless. The BS5 is just a control interface - there is no sound quality issue to require hard wiring. By all means have a docking station - you could have several - so that the power hungry screen can recharge - but make the contact wireless so you can carry it to other rooms. It also means you could have more than one - more profit.
  • 12-27-2008 2:16 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Peter :
    The problem you have is the length of the USB cable. Maximum length will be 5m. I have a 10m cable between the BC2 and BC2 switch unit. 5m just would not be enough. This is why it should have been wireless. The BS5 is just a control interface - there is no sound quality issue to require hard wiring. By all means have a docking station - you could have several - so that the power hungry screen can recharge - but make the contact wireless so you can carry it to other rooms. It also means you could have more than one - more profit.

Hello Peter,

USB is no problem as there are existing USB extenders via LAN etc. where you can easily have more than 10m!
    And there's another toy in town: wireless USB.

So the biggest problem is to get the DVI-signal "wireless".

But I agree with you that it would be very nice to have multiple controllers for link rooms etc. I think it could be possible to do that on your own by splitting the DVI-signal to a Link-room where you already have remote eye, remote speakers etc.; so you would just miss the physical controls in a link room if its possible to distribute the DVI-signal from the Beomaster 5 through the rooms.

• 12-27-2008 3:10 PM In reply to

I'm sure the wireless USB needs to be setup somehow, and since you only get access to the "player" on BS5 it will not work?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-27-2008 4:20 PM In reply to

koning:

avus17:
    I have visited my dealer yesterday to see the new BeoSound 5. The price is very high 4.710,-€ for a MP3/Net.Radio streamer with a wheel and display. My dealer told me that for the price it will be hard to sell it as there is no CD mechanism in the new sound system. What do you think? I had also troubles to play with the new sound machine at it seemed a little bit complicated.

I think that in the next 5 years the cd comes to is end!

This is the rightway for B&O.

The price compared to sooloos - linn - naim makes B&O cheap.

Pardon me. From what I recall, those systems had at least built-in hard drives and cd loaders. Anyways what I don't like about the Beosound 5 is the fact that it is not a network media controller. It is kinda outdated from its inception. Tragic.  

• 12-27-2008 4:22 PM In reply to

@TWG

Instead of USB they could have used RJ45 for example. Also industry standard but designed to run over lengths up to 100 meters. You can even run video over it, which means they could eventually  have dropped the DVI port as well.

• 12-27-2008 4:33 PM In reply to

wonderfulelectric:
    koning:

avus17:
    I have visited my dealer yesterday to see the new BeoSound 5. The price is very high 4.710,-€ for a MP3/Net.Radio streamer with a wheel and display. My dealer told me that for the price it will be hard to sell it as there is no CD mechanism in the new sound system. What do you think? I had also troubles to play with the new sound machine at it seemed a little bit complicated.

Pardon me. From what I recall, those systems had at least built-in hard drives and cd loaders. Anyways what I don't like about the Beosound 5 is the fact that it is not a network media controller. It is kinda outdated from its inception. Tragic.  

Linn Akurate DS: 5117 euro.  No cd player!

• 12-27-2008 5:11 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

They have problems with cable length. My dealer told me, max. length will be 15m. There are already different prices on the dealers`pricelist.

Stefan 

• 12-27-2008 6:01 PM In reply to

koning:
    wonderfulelectric:
    koning:

avus17:

Linn Akurate DS: 5117 euro.  No cd player!

Linn will always be a "audiophile" mark, Beo is not, unfortunately, and thus it's not as easy to sell.

I never asked a question why my Pathos Endorphin CD player was 7000e +. It simply was "audiophile". But boy was it a good CD player! 

-Andreas

• 12-27-2008 6:02 PM In reply to

stefan:

They have problems with cable length. My dealer told me, max. length will be 15m. There are already different prices on the dealers`pricelist.

Stefan 

If that is true, B&O has somehow reinvented the USB standard. 

-Andreas

• 12-27-2008 6:13 PM In reply to

bayerische:
    stefan:

Stefan 

If that is true, B&O has somehow reinvented the USB standard. 

From Wikipedia:

USB1.1 maximum cable length is 3m. USB2.0 maximum cable length is 5m. Maximum hubs connected in series is 5. Maximum devices connected in series is 127.

Although a single cable is limited to 5 meters, the USB2.0 specification permits up to five USB hubs in a long chain of cables and hubs. This allows for a maximum distance of 30 meters between host and device, using six 5-meter cables and five hubs. In actual use, since some USB devices have built-in cables for connecting to the hub, the maximum achievable distance is 25 meters + the length of the device's cable. 

• 12-27-2008 6:53 PM In reply to

How convenient... Will these Hubs require external mains power? Then it's even more convenient Smile

-Andreas

Page 2 of 3 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >