in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-21-2008 1:13 PM by tournedos. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-19-2008 2:25 PM

DVD 1 problems

Hello,

I recently got a MKII ( 2006 or 2007 ) DVD1 and I don't think it's working properly. It's from the UK, but I got an EU plug and the B&O scart cable from my dealer here.

When I insert a DVD it has an annoying lag when choosing DVD menu options. But I can live with that. The problem is, that it does not respond when I press GO, to select any of the dvd menu options. In some cases it does work, but only to access the submenus, and that takes ages to happen. Update: I've just noticed it works if I press GO twice instead of once. Also, the blue button that is supposed to bring up the toolbar doesn't work like described, it only shows ( again, only if pressed twice ) the Angle menu option. It also won't fast forward.

When I do manage to get a film to play, the picture is windowboxed, even thought I've set the video output as 16:9 ( Wide ), it just pops it back to 4:3/windowboxed the next time I start it ( but it still shows as 16:9 in the "initial Settings > Video Output menu ) - the TV is a BeoVision 3-32 and it's a couple of years older than the DVD ( could this be the problem? ).

And there is another thing that puzzles me, but it's nothing really important. If I'm watching a DVD and I decide to turn it off and therefore press the little red dot button, it will not only turn off the DVD1, but also the TV. Can something be done about this?

PS. The menus are ugly, nothing like B&O and actually nothing like in the User Manual ( is it only for the MK I versions? ). Is that a bad sign? Is there a way to do  complete hard reset and configure it all over again (regions, picture settings,... etc. )

Thanks for your help. 

Filed under: ,
  • 12-21-2008 9:36 AM In reply to

Re: DVD 1 problems

Well, I've played around with it for quite some time now and I have figured some things out. Basically I can watch DVDs, the picture quality is noticeably better than my old Sony player and that's more than enough for me. Most of the DVDs are not windowboxed anymore ( just happened over night! ), which is great, but a number of them still are, whereas they weren't on the old Sony. Any thoughts on that?

There is just one thing bothering me and I can't/won't learn to live with it. I can't move through chapters ( up/down arrows ) or fast-forward ( left/right arrows ). If I press these buttons on the Beo4 it doesn't respond in any way. It also doesn't work if I press the fast-forward buttons on the unit. It's more or less the only thing driving me crazy now and I really hope someone knows how to fix it.

• 12-21-2008 10:55 AM In reply to

This isn't a very technical answer, but I have a MkI & MkII here at home and I plugged them both in via scart to my MX. I can't speak to picture formatting, but as for control, the GO button should indeed work, and the up and down arrows skip chapters in both. I'd say you have a dud or semi-dud on your hands. 

Whether or not to repair is a tough one. I have repaired both of mine simply because they go with my MXs and having them integrate with sound/picture/control in a single cable with the Beo 4 is, to me, worth a few hundred bucks. If it wasn't for this level of integration, they'd be buried in a landfill. They are not, in a general sense, very good DVD players.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-21-2008 12:24 PM In reply to

Thanks for that, it looks like I'll have to call my dealer and ask him to have a look.

Just another thought; since this is one of the newer ones and it was made in the time of the A.MEM/V.MEM Beo4's and I have a BV3 with a A.TAPE/V.TAPE Beo4, could this have an effect or am I just talking nonsense? I have the A.MEM one as well, but it's in my apartment in the city, so I can't try it until the holidays are over.

• 12-21-2008 1:03 PM In reply to

I don't think it makes a difference. The programming language is exactly the same in terms of IR signal generated by the button. A.MEM is A.TAPE is PHONO, same with V.MEM. 

When you start doing Beo 5 programming you realize what old bones many of today's codes are built on!

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-21-2008 1:13 PM In reply to

I don't have the later Beo 4 so I could check for sure, but I believe the V.MEM and A.MEM buttons send exactly the same codes as V.TAPE and A.TAPE, it's only the markings on the buttons that differ.

However, since all your problems seem related to remote control, I would try another SCART cable before any more expensive measures. Just like on B&O VCR's, the remote commands are carried over in the cable and the DVD has no IR receiver. Could be that there are problems with the data getting through without errors.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)