in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-06-2008 11:59 PM by guillaume. 85 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-05-2008 7:14 PM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 5 price this can not be true?

Anyone seen the photos that are floating online for the BeoSound 5 yet...

If not just jump over to http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/13/bang-and-olufsens-beosound-5-controller-in-the-wild/

BeoVision 4-50 MkII, BeoSystem 1, Zektor Switch, DTS box, BeoLink Passive, BeoVox Cona, BeoLab 1, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 4000, BeoLab 4, BeoLab 3000, BeoMedia 1, BeoMaster 5, BeoSystem 3 Type 9621

• 11-05-2008 10:49 PM In reply to

My hope is that the Beosound 5 will be user-friendly (cast your minds over the DVD2 and the Beo5 problems people are having or have had).

To introduce such a product as the BS5 to B&O's core audience, as Trip has pointed out, it needs to be something that the average person can operate and navigate with ease. It also needs to be a product that adds some sort of value to existing customer's current setups. There needs to be a perceived added value to encourage existing customers to part with $8500 to update their current setups, otherwise it will only continue to encourage existing customers to seek alternative setups (eg mini macs, ipods, etc.) and eventually replace what they have with other company's offerings. Most B&O users favourite B&O feature is the ability to use one remote. This is now available through other means (eg Logitech), so I think this needs to be remembered by B&O. Not just the point about one remote being available elsewhere, but ALL features B&O offer being available elsewhere (except maybe design to a point).

The advent of the internet and the globilization that is decreasing the cost and time to access pretty much anything in the world, will only hurt companies like B&O. If B&O continue to choose to play catch-up with technology and customer ideals, they will see their markets shrink. The older customer that B&O targets now will die or decrease tech spending over the next few decades, and the people they choose to ignore now will age without knowing the B&O brand. This could be very dangerous when the old money disappears. Maybe it's not wise to ignore the tech minded people that rant about upcoming products, they are more likely to be the ones that will point out flaws that most people wouldn't bother to raise (and instead vote with their feet).

For what it's worth, I'm looking forward to seeing the BS5, but don't really feel confident that it will be for me. I'd be happy with an ipod dock connection that works with my Beo4 and integrates with my current setup.

That's my few cents worth..... Wink

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 11-06-2008 4:39 AM In reply to

jldmelb:
    For what it's worth, I'm looking forward to seeing the BS5, but don't really feel confident that it will be for me. I'd be happy with an ipod dock connection that works with my Beo4 and integrates with my current setup.
    I'm very interested.

But sit this one out until the MKII or III versions will be available.

Due to a tight personal budget at the moment AND I have encountered problems with MKI versions of the BS3200 and BV7-32".

• 11-06-2008 10:02 AM In reply to

jldmelb:

My hope is that the Beosound 5 will be user-friendly (cast your minds over the DVD2 and the Beo5 problems people are having or have had).

To introduce such a product as the BS5 to B&O's core audience, as Trip has pointed out, it needs to be something that the average person can operate and navigate with ease. It also needs to be a product that adds some sort of value to existing customer's current setups. There needs to be a perceived added value to encourage existing customers to part with $8500 to update their current setups, otherwise it will only continue to encourage existing customers to seek alternative setups (eg mini macs, ipods, etc.) and eventually replace what they have with other company's offerings. Most B&O users favourite B&O feature is the ability to use one remote. This is now available through other means (eg Logitech), so I think this needs to be remembered by B&O. Not just the point about one remote being available elsewhere, but ALL features B&O offer being available elsewhere (except maybe design to a point).

The advent of the internet and the globilization that is decreasing the cost and time to access pretty much anything in the world, will only hurt companies like B&O. If B&O continue to choose to play catch-up with technology and customer ideals, they will see their markets shrink. The older customer that B&O targets now will die or decrease tech spending over the next few decades, and the people they choose to ignore now will age without knowing the B&O brand. This could be very dangerous when the old money disappears. Maybe it's not wise to ignore the tech minded people that rant about upcoming products, they are more likely to be the ones that will point out flaws that most people wouldn't bother to raise (and instead vote with their feet).

That's my few cents worth..... Wink

Your post sums up my thoughts nicely, jldmelb. 

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-06-2008 5:44 PM In reply to

• nlb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 60
    • Bronze Member

oh how true ... this economic downturn could see the end of BnO as we all purchase products that can do the same only better at more than half the price. nlb.
  • 11-06-2008 7:04 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

My take on what's coming..................

The interface of the BS5 may well be magical (and I, for one, hope it is) but the guts is the BM5 which may well be hidden away but it needs to be 21st century!

Most folk here already have a digital music archive (I'm just about to rip mine again, in a lossless format, which hopefully is the last time I have to do it).

I'm still thinking about the lossless format I should use, FLAC has the advantage of "open standard" that I can download from LINN and band sites etc., Apple Lossless has that "manufacturer's" standard that I tend to shy awway from, albeit I'm an iPod owner.

I can see a need for a high quality, insert and forget, rip/store/backup system that the BS5/BM5 does't seem to address.

I really hope the "5" system meets everyones needs but (being an eternal pessimist) I fear a Serene/Serenata/Beo5 release where, despite the number of early adopters, it ends up being lacking in major areas and only a few diehards persist.

I do hope I'm wrong!

I'm sorry to sound so jaded!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-06-2008 7:09 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Morning Puncher, you're up early!

The price of the BM/BS5 won't prohibit me buying one. I'll get one after I get my Beolab 5s (in about thirty years on eBay)

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-06-2008 7:20 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Jandyt:

Morning Puncher, you're up early!

The price of the BM/BS5 won't prohibit me buying one. I'll get one after I get my Beolab 5s (in about thirty years on eBay)

Andy T.

Ey up mate! - do I sound like I'm on  downer? ............... maybe. But I'm genuinely worried (I can't be an early adopter, its doubtful whether I would buy second hand...............third hand maybe) but then, if it didn't cut the ice when launched, why in the cold light of day would I even think about it??

Many posts in this thread, and others, have pointed out that I am not the target market but...................... but it has to be more than just fashionable to make a lasting impact.

I look forward to eating my words after it's release.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-06-2008 7:29 PM In reply to

Just to get things straight, let me sum up what we know this far. If I´m wrong, please correct.

The new system constists of 2 elements: bs5 and bm5. Bm5 is the core component containing the content (audio and probably video) and distributing it. Bs5 is the supporting user interface for bm5, allowing the proud owner to navigate through his library (audio only) via some magic wheels and circles on a crazy mandel fractals desktop. With bs5 I´m not able to navigate through my video content on bm5 and let it play on an additional tv. This has to be done another way. Neither bm5 nor bs5 are supporting direct playback of any physical data medium like a cd or dvd. They are not able to rip the content themselves. You can not listen to analogue radio, only net radio. So it´s (just) an additional product.

If I want to add content to bm5 I need a "real" computer to (perhaps) rip and sync content. I need to do this ever so often. To listen to net radio bm5 has to be connected to the web via dsl with an always on connection. If I want to listen to analogue radio, I have to use another bs, let it be bs4, bs9000 or bc2. Same for a cd. If I want to see a dvd, I also need a dedicated player. Either the one in a bv7, bc2 or the glorious dvd2.

Am I the only one thinking there is something majorly wrong in here?! Just to listen to my digital music (which is nowadays as normal as it can be) I have to spend a whopping 5k euros. And what do I get? A bunch of additional boxes and cables and the effort of syncing my content like everyday. Just to flip through my library with an alu wheel? I don´t even get a two-way remote. To change tracks I have to lift my lazy ass to the machine or fiddle around with a remote not made for this.  Sorry, I´m not convinced.

B&O where once priding themselves in beeing the kings of integration. I don´t see this in this conecpt. Plus I have the feeling bs5 being an additional unit it may get a little too crowded in my living room with danish designer objects. Don´t get me wrong, I adore their products. But the idea of having a bc2, a bv, some bls and now the bs5 in one room is way to much for my taste. And I don´t even mention the supporting black boxes for bc2 and bs5 (bm5).

Regards, beoberlin 

• 11-06-2008 7:49 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

hmmmmmm well beoberlin, seeing as you put it so well, I'm wondering what magic they can add into this equation to make use part with the money.

Then again if they say it's the base for new and exciting things to come, I only hope that means on the same day of release they also announce lots of nice add on suprises, otherwise as you kinldy summarised, it's going to be a bit, well, errrmmm..... flat Indifferent

• 11-06-2008 11:59 PM In reply to

Indeed, if the BS5 is just like a big ipod (fancy that!) then where is the connectivity with the rest of the BO equipment.

Seems to me that even ipods come with their own little controls nowadays. It is hard to see this as explained by beoberlin, as anything less that infuriating. After all where is the userfriendlyness of it all. I own a BS1 and a BC9500, and it is not hard to use.

The BS5 seems like a lot of work for not much.

However, could it be that BO is keeping us nicely in the dark, and whence it comes out, the BS5 will be this magical interface that can access digital music, movies and all sorts of nifty things and be able to bounce them back on any BO equipment around the house...now that would be neat.

Page 4 of 4 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4