in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-14-2008 2:33 PM by soundproof. 270 replies.
Page 4 of 11 (271 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-04-2008 2:02 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Re: Another direction....

• 10-04-2008 2:20 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

jk1002:

@ Alex, the documentation how to connect Beomaster to a Mac was posted here.

That was the documentation for the BeoMedia, not the BeoSound 5. We'll find out quite soon whether or not it'll accept Apple Lossless, I too am interested in this...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-04-2008 3:07 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

That documentation was for the BeoMaster 5. 

• 10-04-2008 7:23 AM In reply to

The graphics on the screen look pretty, however is the cylyndical bit finished like that? Its a bit strange having a flat screen thing with a Klunky big cylynder, how do you wall mount it, the cylynder looks like it sticks out! However it does look very B&O and my only gripe is why no plain and simple bung in a CD option, that cylynder bit could surely take a CD, Hmm I actually feel old talking like this! I thought there was a picture up before that had a display in the middle and a small circle central at the bottom, it seemed to take DVD, CD, Net radio and Ipod, but I cannot find anything about it now.

Anyway I am sure we will all see how good it is in the greatness of time.

BS

• 10-04-2008 7:27 AM In reply to

• astrauch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Saarbrücken, Germany
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Looks quite nice, but I think you have to see it in the flesh.

I suppose you can remove it from the stand, because this teaser with the cloth showed that thing without the second ring lying on a table or some other flat surface.

For the Apple Lossless thing, import your favourite song from CD into iTunes in different formats: AAC 320kbit/s, WAV (supported by BM5) and Apple Lossless. You can't hear the difference! (I tried it with the A8's, BL4's, BL9's, my KEF speakers and with some bose headphones)

• 10-04-2008 7:55 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

bikerscotty:

The graphics on the screen look pretty, however is the cylyndical bit finished like that? Its a bit strange having a flat screen thing with a Klunky big cylynder, how do you wall mount it, the cylynder looks like it sticks out! However it does look very B&O and my only gripe is why no plain and simple bung in a CD option, that cylynder bit could surely take a CD, Hmm I actually feel old talking like this! I thought there was a picture up before that had a display in the middle and a small circle central at the bottom, it seemed to take DVD, CD, Net radio and Ipod, but I cannot find anything about it now.

BS

Not sure about this, but the cylinder (=stand) is supposedly placed in an angle:

My guess is that if you look at it from the front,

the cylinder will not be as dominant as it appears on these first 2 real images.

People that have already seen the real product in the flesh 

pretty much all say that these pictures really show the product from a bad angle / perspective

and one would not normally look at the BS5 this way. 

• 10-04-2008 8:12 AM In reply to

Whistle
    Ignace:
    bikerscotty:

BS

Not sure about this, but the cylinder (=stand) is supposedly placed in an angle:

My guess is that if you look at it from the front,

the cylinder will not be as dominant as it appears on these first 2 real images.

People that have already seen the real product in the flesh 

pretty much all say that these pictures really show the product from a bad angle / perspective

and one would not normally look at the BS5 this way. 

Then their marketing people need a heartily big slap!Whistle

• 10-04-2008 8:58 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Then their marketing people need a heartily big slap!Whistle

Smile 

Yes ! 

Even a "leaked" picture needs to make a good first impression

Smile 

• 10-04-2008 9:12 AM In reply to

astrauch:

Looks quite nice, but I think you have to see it in the flesh.

I suppose you can remove it from the stand, because this teaser with the cloth showed that thing without the second ring lying on a table or some other flat surface.

For the Apple Lossless thing, import your favourite song from CD into iTunes in different formats: AAC 320kbit/s, WAV (supported by BM5) and Apple Lossless. You can't hear the difference! (I tried it with the A8's, BL4's, BL9's, my KEF speakers and with some bose headphones)

You can't hear the difference between mp3 and wav?????????

unbelievable.....

• 10-04-2008 9:36 AM In reply to

Right.. fresh eyes today and still canot believe what I am looking at.

Not one to wade in without having actually seen and "experienced" BS5... but to me, I see a screen that is very conventional in design next to a very unconventional and raw design that is BS5. BS5 is umcompromising in form and looks, and will probably offer a new user interface but why have a screen when no touch screen is offered(?) and you could quite easily use any screen? what does this screen offer that any other screen could not? and is the placement of the two as seen in the photo? and this "steering" is seen as a a revolutinary way forward over say the ipod and iphone? I find that VERY hard to believe at this moment in time. 

Now... I would have expected the form of the two to compliment one another, not be the total opposite and this to me begs the question.. WTF were they thinking?

I am literally shocked by this.... maybe a knee jerk reaction but if this all you get than I would love to hear what the product and marketing gurus were thinking of when setting the brief for this... it is fresh and very out of the box.. maybe a bit too out of the box.

• 10-04-2008 9:45 AM In reply to

• astrauch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Saarbrücken, Germany
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

It is indeed a difference if you listen to a CD with a B&O player and compare that to a normal MP3, but you don't hear a difference between MP3 (or AAC) and WAV with a digital music device (PC, iPod, Beosound 2...).
  • 10-04-2008 9:45 AM In reply to

I think marketing would be pleased with your reaction! B&O is designed so  people to have strong reactions to it. Far better a strong negative some times and strong positive some times than just - "That's nice" ! B&O need to be different and to provoke a reaction. Otherwise simply repackage a Sonos or indeed an iPod Touch. Both of these will do a good job but are becoming ubiquitous.

The Beosound 5 will not be that! I think you will also find that the accompanying software will also be something that will interest a lot of people. To discover all the music you have requires a good interface and a little magic - I believe the BS5 will offer both.

• 10-04-2008 9:53 AM In reply to

astrauch:
    It is indeed a difference if you listen to a CD with a B&O player and compare that to a normal MP3, but you don't hear a difference between MP3 (or AAC) and WAV with a digital music device (PC, iPod, Beosound 2...).

It rather depends on the quality. A WAV file should sound as good as the source. An MP3 or AAC is dependent on the compression and indeed the encoder. I have experimented quite a bit with this and would find it tricky to distinguish an MP3 encoded at 320 kbps from CD and AAC seems to be a little better at lower speeds. MP3 below 128 kbps is easier to distinguish. 

• 10-04-2008 10:01 AM In reply to

• astrauch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Saarbrücken, Germany
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Peter :

It rather depends on the quality. A WAV file should sound as good as the source. An MP3 or AAC is dependent on the compression and indeed the encoder. I have experimented quite a bit with this and would find it tricky to distinguish an MP3 encoded at 320 kbps from CD and AAC seems to be a little better at lower speeds. MP3 below 128 kbps is easier to distinguish. 

That's what I think too. Scientists say you don't hear hear a difference between WAV and MP3 192kbits.

I think a compressed file over 256kbit/s delivers a perfect audio quality. You could use Apple Lossless, but 40MB for one song is too much, I don't want to have only 200 songs on my iPhone.  

• 10-04-2008 10:19 AM In reply to

Let's hope marketing is pleased.  However I hope they have better training for staff than there was for Beomedia 1.  The Beoconnect software in the posted procedure is the same as it is for Beomedia 1 with the addition of cover art.

I am sure that most of us will have no problem with Beosound 5 but for some people having to manage music files with a personal computer will be challenging.   

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-04-2008 10:53 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

I'm definitely not very much on the new digital technologies (owner of 6 Beograms and 4 pre 80's Beomasters) but certainly the design of BS5 captured my attention. Will wait until I get it in my hands before making any definitive judgement but the looks and the spirit are there.

Gustavo

• 10-04-2008 10:56 AM In reply to

From Malock on the french section, he gave me the info regarding the BS5 :

- no touch screen

- the right "cylinder" will have more than one mobile wheel.

Cheers,

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 10-04-2008 11:05 AM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

whats with the obession with touch screens on things?!? my iphone looks awesome for all of 5 secs after I clean it.

imagine a touchscreen 5 times the size of the iphone with all the greasy fingerprints - won't look attractive on my sideboard!

the wheel(s) do look like offering an exciting interface - and is that not what we're after really - something interesting to play with instead of scrolling through file names?

plus isn't the only thing stopping the BS5 playing apple loss-less files a matter of apple being snooty about sharing their music on non apple products - surely it would just require a software update to include the format? plus spending 10seconds on google and you can convert loss-less apple into other formats...

bring on november...

• 10-04-2008 12:37 PM In reply to

GuyHui :

From Malock on the french section, he gave me the info regarding the BS5 :

- no touch screen

- the right "cylinder" will have more than one mobile wheel.

Cheers,

Guy

Is there information on the Beomaster 5 component which I presume in usually on the floor or on a shelf.  What are the connectors?  Is there a digital out and a AUX in?  Thanks 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-04-2008 1:03 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Do we know when we can expect to see this at U.K. dealers?

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 10-04-2008 1:13 PM In reply to

astrauch:

Not with a beolab 8000,

But when you have good loudspeakers a beolab 9 or 5 for instance there will be a huge difference

• 10-04-2008 2:16 PM In reply to

It is a beautiful thing. Very Bang & Olufsen in design and build quality, the 'wheels' have a wonderfully smooth action...

I love it!.

• 10-04-2008 2:24 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

koning:

astrauch:

Not with a beolab 8000,

But when you have good loudspeakers a beolab 9 or 5 for instance there will be a huge difference

I think you'd struggle to tell the difference between 320 kbps AAC and the original CD. In fact, it's impossible - nobody would be able to do it.

The BeoSound 5 uses B&O's own sound chips - they've taken the sound very seriously. Apple Lossless won't be supported as Apple won't license it out.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-04-2008 3:40 PM In reply to

Sonos can play apple lossless. So the statement that they don't license it out can not be correct.

That said, I do believe that 320 is a good choice since lossless files are just too big to handle with most portable devices and who would want to manage 2 libraries.

Once I know what I do next, I will re-rip my collection up to 320 from 192 which has a very noticeable difference to CD in direct comparison. I encourage anyone to do a direct comparison. I would think it is very possible to train an ear to detect the difference.

Obviously they better have a good reason not to include lossless since it might turn some buyers off. Like 1 HDMI in the BV8. 

Cheers

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-04-2008 3:55 PM In reply to

Not sure what the problem is - WAV is the best you can get and the BS5 copes with that. I find 320 completely fine and indeed 192 is fine for my ageing ears! Laughing
Page 4 of 11 (271 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »