in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-17-2008 12:12 PM by Dave. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-16-2008 7:51 AM

Is Beolab 2 "necessary" with Beolab 1 and 7-4?

Hi all.

I just bought a BV 7-40 with the 7-4 speaker (have not received it yet) and also bought Beolab 1. I am wondering now if I should also go for the subwoofer Beolab 2, but must admit I am a little bit unsure what it would do for sound with suchs speakers as the Beolab 1, and if it would be a little over the top.

As pr now i will not use satellites either, but they probably will show up in the near future.

Would love to hear anyones qualified thoughts on this!

Thank you. 

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 08-16-2008 8:22 AM In reply to

Re: Is Beolab 2 "necessary" with Beolab 1 and 7-4?

The Beolab 1 actually uses the same chassis as the Beolab 9 - which does not need a sub-woofer. However the Beolab 1 is strangely lacking in real low down bass so a Beolab 2 is recommended. For music, I would say not, but for surround sound, it makes quite a difference.
  • 08-16-2008 8:31 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I can't recommend the BL2 but a good sub with those speakers in that setup should really add alot to the sound.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-16-2008 9:02 AM In reply to

I agree, a sub is highly beneficial for movies with the Beolab 1s.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 08-16-2008 9:06 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

takktakk:

Hi all.

I just bought a BV 7-40 with the 7-4 speaker (have not received it yet) and also bought Beolab 1...

Although I've now disconnected my BL2 with the 7.4/BL9 combo, I'd certainly recommend the BL2 with the combo you suggest. It will add more depth - it will with the BL9's. The problem I had is that I found the bass was too incredible in a small room, which led to complaints from the residents two stories below my apartment! That only happened since using the BL2 with the BL9's though.

See if you can locate a second hand BL2. I was tempted to sell mine, but I'm going to hold on in case my setup changes in the future.

The conclusion is that, with movies at least, you'll always get the benefit from installing a BL2. However, just bear in mind that in a small room, the bass can be quite intense..

• 08-16-2008 11:02 AM In reply to

While this is a very subjective question, I've found very few setups that haven't benefitted from a good subwoofer. I would say yours certainly could if I were to use those same items personally. Remember that in addition to low tones, a subwoofer will add physical texture which I find indispensable in music reproduction as well as in video setups. The strike of drum or the pluck of a string doesn't sound complete unless all the appropriate senses register the event.

Hope this helps! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 08-16-2008 1:56 PM In reply to

I had the BV 4 with the BL 7-2 and Beolab 1's for about a year and a half before getting the BL 2.  I thought the BL-1's were great alone, but then my dealer offered a BL-2 as a loner for a week and I must admit, it really helped the BL-1's, not just because they lack in bass, but adding the BL-2 somehow relaxed the BL-1's allowing more detail for music.  For movies..... WOW!  Needless to say, I bought the BL-2 when funds allowed and listened to my music collection all over again.

Roger

• 08-16-2008 5:51 PM In reply to

Well, I have also a pair of lab 1 which was connected with a Lab 2 subwoofer. I was not satisfied with the sound and I decided to sell the Lab2.

Then I bought a B&W PV1 subwoofer which is far better and less expensive than the Beolab 2.   However, PV1 is now for sale as I was very fortunate to buy a pair of Lab 5 which I use as front speakers.

regards

all sold!

• 08-17-2008 5:01 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Not sure which BV740 you bought...

In my case a BL2 was necessary. The BL1's should perform better through a BV740 but they do not.

beoaus.

• 08-17-2008 7:11 AM In reply to

Thank you all so much for replying!

Guess I have to go find myself a Beolab 2...

Thanks again guys! 

• 08-17-2008 7:22 AM In reply to

moxxey:
    takktakk:

Hi all.

I just bought a BV 7-40 with the 7-4 speaker (have not received it yet) and also bought Beolab 1...

Although I've now disconnected my BL2 with the 7.4/BL9 combo, I'd certainly recommend the BL2 with the combo you suggest. It will add more depth - it will with the BL9's. The problem I had is that I found the bass was too incredible in a small room, which led to complaints from the residents two stories below my apartment! That only happened since using the BL2 with the BL9's though.

See if you can locate a second hand BL2. I was tempted to sell mine, but I'm going to hold on in case my setup changes in the future.

The conclusion is that, with movies at least, you'll always get the benefit from installing a BL2. However, just bear in mind that in a small room, the bass can be quite intense..

Is the intensity and volume of the bass on the BL2 not adjustable? 

• 08-17-2008 7:24 AM In reply to

Dave:
    I can't recommend the BL2 but a good sub with those speakers in that setup should really add alot to the sound.

Because you hav not heard it, or because you do not like it...? If the last is the case, may I ask why?

Thanks. 

• 08-17-2008 8:16 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I was loaned one by my fantastic dealer but i DID NOT like the sound. It was far too slow for the beolabs when listening to music, and for 5 thousand dollars, it didn't make any sense to have. I couldn't fault it when watching a movie though... (i rarely watch movies)

The Bowers and Wilkins PV1 mentioned also many times is a very commendable sub to go with beolabs, look into that one for connecting to your BeoVision.

Also, the dolby (powerlink) plugs on your beovision will do the filtering a bl2 would normally do and any volume adjustments if necessary. It's  a smaller unit too with a less intrusive aesthetic.

I didn't at all like the size and design of the BL2 in our house. This is why i can not recommend it. Listen for yourself though mate, we all perceive sound individually, and we all have differing opinions.

• 08-17-2008 11:03 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Dave:

I was loaned one by my fantastic dealer but i DID NOT like the sound. It was far too slow for the beolabs when listening to music

Correct. My BL3s sound way better with music, when disconnected from the BL2. The BL2 was no good with fast-moving electronic music. It's superb when watching movies, but can still overwhelm the bass in a small room.

• 08-17-2008 12:12 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I seem to have a very careful ear, and the BL2 destroyed the balance of sound to my ears and was a woeful performer with most of the music.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)