in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-19-2008 8:18 AM by Razlaw. 287 replies.
Page 12 of 12 (288 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2008 3:51 PM In reply to

Re: Dolby True HD - question for 355f

Razlaw - why don't you just leave it now? Go and enjoy your full HD sound or something.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 08-17-2008 4:08 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

You are not discussing it...you are claiming to withdraw.

and

Telling me to not discuss it any more is not discussing it.

Sorry that you can't support your view with any facts and instead have to run to somebody else and ask those who disagree with you to be silenced!

As for free speach, I have never once said you should not post your opinion or express your opinion. In fact I have repeatedly asked for facts to show me I am wrong. I have asked very specific questions related to the operation of our BV7 and Blu-Ray player and the onscreen displays provided by both units that indicate the HD sound is working. I have asked for alternative explanations other than HD sound and have received no explanation. 

You, on the other hand clearly do not want views contrary to yours posted. Why is that?

Looking forward to finishing Hidalgo on Blu-Ray tonight with the high definition sound.

Thanks to all in this thread who emailed B and O and posted the answers provided by B and O, and to those who were open minded and looked fairly at both sides of the question with an eye toward arriving at the correct answer as opposed to silencing differing views. 

I will attempt to get a definitive answer if someone provides me with a definitive question! Laughing That means one that everyone will be happy with! 

• 08-17-2008 5:00 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I've had several bashes at stating what it is we need to know to finalise the debate, unfortunately it keeps getting sidetracked to other (nonfactual) issues!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 08-17-2008 6:13 PM In reply to

Peter :
    Razlaw:

You are not discussing it...you are claiming to withdraw.

and

Telling me to not discuss it any more is not discussing it.

Sorry that you can't support your view with any facts and instead have to run to somebody else and ask those who disagree with you to be silenced!

As for free speach, I have never once said you should not post your opinion or express your opinion. In fact I have repeatedly asked for facts to show me I am wrong. I have asked very specific questions related to the operation of our BV7 and Blu-Ray player and the onscreen displays provided by both units that indicate the HD sound is working. I have asked for alternative explanations other than HD sound and have received no explanation. 

You, on the other hand clearly do not want views contrary to yours posted. Why is that?

Looking forward to finishing Hidalgo on Blu-Ray tonight with the high definition sound.

Thanks to all in this thread who emailed B and O and posted the answers provided by B and O, and to those who were open minded and looked fairly at both sides of the question with an eye toward arriving at the correct answer as opposed to silencing differing views. 

I will attempt to get a definitive answer if someone provides me with a definitive question! Laughing That means one that everyone will be happy with! 

It seems to me that the question is:  What does the BS3/BV7MKIII/BV9 do with an uncompressed multichannel 24 bit 192kHz signal  from a Blu-Ray player sent via HDMI? Is it altered or downconverted in any way? And the same for 96kHz and 48kHz.

There may be a second part of the question also, which would be if a track is encoded in Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master HD, and the Blu-Ray player decodes it internally in the Blu-Ray player, does that result in an uncompressed multichannel PCM being sent through the HDMI exactly as if the track was on the disc in one of the above mentioned uncompressed PCM formats.

A potential third part of the question would be is there any potential for a "handshake" problem with certain Blu-Ray players or will any player work as long as the output is uncompressed PCM via HDMI.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 08-17-2008 6:19 PM In reply to

Puncher:
    I've had several bashes at stating what it is we need to know to finalise the debate, unfortunately it keeps getting sidetracked to other (nonfactual) issues!

Yes you have made several very good efforts and I think you have been right on point. Unfortunately when I tried to phrase the issue in a somewhat similiar way to your excellent post of August 15 referencing 96kHz, as I thought the issue was getting narrowed down here, in order to see if I was understanding correctly what you and others have said, I was atacked for it which regrettably led to the sidetracking.

• 08-17-2008 10:28 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

It seems to me that the question is:  What does the BS3/BV7MKIII/BV9 do with an uncompressed multichannel 24 bit 192kHz signal  from a Blu-Ray player sent via HDMI? Is it altered or downconverted in any way? And the same for 96kHz and 48kHz.

Hmmm, I wonder what Razlaw's Law could be?

What part of "It does not support 192kHz" did you not understand? One would think the DSP Engineer would know. 

But yes, the answer did leave some openings for interpretation. Big Smile

• 08-17-2008 10:34 PM In reply to

soundproof:
    Razlaw:

Hmmm, I wonder what Razlaw's Law could be?

What part of "It does not support 192kHz" did you not understand? One would think the DSP Engineer would know. 

But yes, the answer did leave some openings for interpretation. Big Smile

See also Beopaul's post from 8/14  at 22:15 in which B and O said it does support 192kHz, hence the confusion and the reason for the suggested question.

• 08-18-2008 1:02 AM In reply to

Razlaw:

There may be a second part of the question also, which would be if a track is encoded in Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master HD, and the Blu-Ray player decodes it internally in the Blu-Ray player, does that result in an uncompressed multichannel PCM being sent through the HDMI exactly as if the track was on the disc in one of the above mentioned uncompressed PCM formats.

A potential third part of the question would be is there any potential for a "handshake" problem with certain Blu-Ray players or will any player work as long as the output is uncompressed PCM via HDMI.

Well, if it only does 96kHz, that would still be acceptable to me.

Regarding the second question, yes it SHOULD output full-fidelity PCM from a TrueHD or DTS Master HD if it's a decent player.  A question is whether there are decent players out yet.  It's still new technology, so I have no doubt they'll come within a year.

Question 3 is the biggest to me.  HDCP can screw things up, and could be from the player end, the BS3, or both.  It would quite likely result in the sub-par AC3 or DTS level quality people here have claimed to have heard.  If it were a fault of the BS3, I suspect it could be solved by a firmware upgrade or chip swap at the worst.  

-- Paul 

• 08-18-2008 3:19 AM In reply to

Peter, I guess all three of your part questions can be stitched together to form a mother of a question for B&O. I also trust you have a direct line/access to the B&O boffs as opposed to their marketing spin doctors.

Why not just send them all 12 pages of this epic thread and see if they can actually tease out both question and answer ?[Devil6]

PS: I have just ordered my BS3, BV4, BLab 10, Samsung Proj, Stewart Screen and Beo 5 Confused

• 08-18-2008 5:42 PM In reply to

beopaul:

Well, if it only does 96kHz, that would still be acceptable to me.

-- Paul 

I agree.  I have read that some are of the opinion that the difference between 96 and 192 is not detectable by the human ear.

• 08-19-2008 3:57 AM In reply to

Hi, about the "khz"-discussion: What I know, there are no BR-titles recorded at 192khz anyway. There are some Music-BR-titles recorded in 96 khz (Celine Dion Live in Las Vegas). Most of the BR-movies are recorded in 48 khz and many of them sounds very good even with 48 khz. So I dont think it is a big deal at all if BS3 handle 96 khz or 192 khz.

/Martin

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 08-19-2008 6:21 AM In reply to

Hi guy's.

Sort of come late into this thread as I've had to suffer being on holiday and worrying about other trivial things.

Quick question for me to gain some perspective on the subject here.

Q. What is going to sound better? BL5's playing a 96khz source or a pair of Goodmans/Alba/basic Pioneer/Sharp...etc loudspeakers playing HD Sound at 192khz?

A. I thought so.

10%

• 08-19-2008 8:18 AM In reply to

martin01:

Hi, about the "khz"-discussion: What I know, there are no BR-titles recorded at 192khz anyway. There are some Music-BR-titles recorded in 96 khz (Celine Dion Live in Las Vegas). Most of the BR-movies are recorded in 48 khz and many of them sounds very good even with 48 khz. So I dont think it is a big deal at all if BS3 handle 96 khz or 192 khz.

/Martin

There is a Blu-Ray audio disc, Divertimento, mentioned and pictured earlier in this thread that is 192kHz. That is not to say it will sound any better than 48 or 96, having not heard it.

Page 12 of 12 (288 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12