in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-01-2009 6:29 AM by stefan. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-09-2008 6:14 AM

AppleTV Distribution?

Hi All,

Just curious, is it possible to distribute appleTV to link rooms? I.e. from your main tV to another linked b&o tv?

I think the BM1 can right?

• 07-09-2008 6:52 AM In reply to

Re: AppleTV Distribution?

Not unless you downscale the signal, Beolink can't distribute HD signals, and none of the gear (Beomedia ect) downascales this autotmatically.

• 07-09-2008 7:21 AM In reply to

• BeoLad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • West Midlands
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

It could be possible to do this using some small extra pieces of kit, been into the Derby store and spoke to Andy ( 01332 362292 ) and he has ordered some kit from the states that will allow this to be distributed to link rooms with full control.

He is going to test this out and let me know when he has set it up to demonstrate it for me.

Just to clarify what is a BM1?

Hope this may help you out!!

• 07-09-2008 7:36 AM In reply to

BM1 = BeoMedia 1, sorry

• 07-09-2008 11:00 AM In reply to

This is a tough one! The answer is absolutely yes, but it is impractical. The BeoMedia 1, for example, is the only peripheral I routinely "link" due to its high cost. The fact of the matter is that the AppleTV costs less than half of the products and cables required to distribute it. What's more, it's possible to keep multiple AppleTVs synched in the same house.

In case you'd like to see for yourself:

1. Ignore the RF modulator for "video link." You will use ML for stereo sound and run low voltage cable for control. Video will be carried over CAT-V through a distribution amplifier. Key Digital & Gefen both make one, though I'm partial to Key Digital.

2. HDMI will run out of the AppleTV (you can use RGB if you want, just use different parts). It will run into the Key Digital HDMI Distribution Amplifier. There will then be 8 outputs you can use. From an output you rund HDMI that will be spliced into a balun. The balun will then link in 2 runs of CAT-V which will carry the signal to where ever it's headed. It's then converted back to HDMI with another balun and into the BeoVision.

3. Depending on the IR flasher you're using, it may have different recomendations for how to extend it. I've been using a 50ft Nile w/ feedback lately and they recommend using 16/2 speaker cable. This will be run alongside CAT-V and plug into CONTROL on the BeoVision. (This will result in an IR flasher for each television involved being placed over the eye, so remember that!)  

4. Theoretically, if you want to avail yourself of the multi-channel sound over HDMI you can. In this case, the ML becomes uneccessary for this setup. You basically have a single peripheral outputting to several sets with a distribution amp and some low voltage cable. It's worked quite well for me.

The BeoMedia, for those interested, works the best, since control and sound run over ML and all you need is to distribute VGA as described above.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-30-2008 4:56 PM In reply to

Guys

I have had exactly the same issue and the way to resolve is to use the following, it take HDMI and spits out Composite which the TV will then modulate and also RCA L and R Audio

http://www.digi-box.co.uk/Products.aspx?productid=1157

The only issue is that it costs as much as an AppleTV, and also means that its in SD on the local TV and on the Link...

If your pockets are deep the best way is to use the following as it has a loop, so you can use HD on the Local TV and then also kick out composite to be modulated on to the link..

http://www.tvone.co.uk/1t-c2-100-150-main.shtml

Regards

Andy

Filed under: , ,
  • 12-30-2008 5:19 PM In reply to

Let me just se if i get this right. I believe that if you hook up your AppleTv  through composit (the red white yellow connection) through a composite to scart converter in AV4 on say your BV7. Set up your STB controller to AV4 in your main room, it should be possible to see the signal in your linkroom or what??. I dont see why not, as you are connecting your AppleTV analoge and normal Masterlink and Videosignal through an RF modulator is perfectly cable of delivering analoge signals to linkrooms. In the same way i think it is possible to hook up say a videocam to your mainroom tv and watch it in your link room adwell. If this is NOT possible (in this easy way) please let me know why not, as i dont quite understand why this is so different from distributing say a dvd signal from mainroom to linkroom..

Thanks in advance

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 12-30-2008 5:28 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The Apple TV has no composite out (or at least, the only way to get composite out from the Apple TV really requires some fiddly work.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-30-2008 5:46 PM In reply to

Alex:

The Apple TV has no composite out (or at least, the only way to get composite out from the Apple TV really requires some fiddly work.

Sorry about that, i meant Component video out on apple tv? 

• 12-31-2008 4:41 AM In reply to

Hi Guys,

If its going to cost the price of another AppleTV, then just buy another one (Apple TV) :) They all Sync plus you get the added benefit of not needing to have the main TV turned on.

I guess that the link room TV needs to have the STB for it installed and that would cost some money to do, inevitably.

Happy New Year

• 12-31-2008 8:04 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Thanks Andy, 

are you using the Gefen HDMI - composite scaler? How can this device pass through HDMI?? There is only one HDMI socket.

I`m using exactly this scaler for my mac mini. the advantage is : I can use my mac in all the link rooms.

Stefan 

• 12-31-2008 10:14 AM In reply to

Sorry to join in on a more general point - I hadn't realised that the RF modulator wouldn't modulate and, as a result, downscale HD inputs.

My parents BV7 has a Sky HD box connected by HDMI and by SCART.  Does this mean that the BV7 can see the HD source, but the link rooms are getting the SD modulated version?  If so, how is this set up? 

Can it be done with any source that has both and HD and SD output?  If so, how do you tell the TV that is has two sources for the same device?

I only ask this, as I was thinking of buying a BS3 so I could link that with the BV6 in my bedroom, giving me linked Sky HD, Radio and (when I get round to it) CD too.  I was hoping as a result of having this, I could link my PC and PS3 too, but if it won't modulate HD I'm sort of stuffed on that.

• 01-01-2009 9:33 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Yes. BV7 detects the HD signal, but can not modulate it to RF, so you will have no picture in linkrooms. Connect both - HDMI and scart - to the same AV socket. The device must be able to output digital and analog signal simultaneously. I think the Sky HD box can do that, but I`m not sure, I`m not in the UK. If I remember correctly, PS3 can`t do that. Maybe your PC can do that if you have two graphic cards, one with composite out (??). Don`forget you will need analog audio signal as well.

Happy new year

Stefan 

• 01-01-2009 3:06 PM In reply to

There has to be a compromise - Convert Component Outputs and LR Stereo to RGB Scart, then you can link it.
  • 01-03-2009 4:57 PM In reply to

HI

you can convert component to RGB scart and it will work locally, but when its modulated on the link the picture is grainy black and white, i believe this is to do with the way component and RGB sync the color so you have to use a scaler to convert to composite.

Andy

• 07-23-2009 4:12 AM In reply to

Hi all

I found this

http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html

can i use this for pictures in linkrooms?

My plan is to use component out  and convert this to S-video. Then use a S-video to scart converter and connect this to a scartsocket on my mainroom TV. Will this let me watch and control appleTV from linkrooms, or do i really need the converters/scalers Stefan refers to?

Stefan, can you please clarify how you have done your mac mini setup to be able to have visual in all linkrooms. Thanks!!

• 07-23-2009 5:18 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

The svideo converter should work. If you want HD resolution at your BV7 you need a component splitter too.

I had the HDMi - composite converter made by Gefen and a Gefen HDMI 1:4 splitter fot the mac mini. So I have HD in the mainroom and SD in linkrooms at the same time. Works nice and everything in sync....

HDMI - composite scaler: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5280

HDMI splitter: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4997

Stefan

• 07-23-2009 5:58 AM In reply to

hi Stefan

Thanks for your reply, but i still dont know how this is supposed to work.

I connect my Apple TV to the scaler with HDMI, and then from the Scaler to my mainroomTV with composite for picture and analoge and Coaxial for audio.

Will this give me HD on mainroom and SD appleTV in linkrooms?

Why would i need the HDMI splitter??

Would you be so kind to "Draw me a picture" :-) And when doing so, pretend your Mac Mini has HDMI out as the Apple TV. Thanks ...

• 07-23-2009 7:52 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Sorry. The splitter has 1 input and 4 outputs. Connect apple TVs HDMI out to the input of the splitter. Connect output 1 to HDMI input of BV7-40. Connect output 2 to input of the scaler. Connect composite out of the scaler to a Scart adapter and connect the Scart lead to the same socket you have chosen for the HDMI input of BV7. Now you have analogue and digital video simultaneously. Composite signal will be sent to linkrooms via modulator. That`s it.

BTW: in my setup the scaler and splitter will be switched off automatically, when the mini goes to standby.

Stefan

• 07-23-2009 8:18 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hi,

this is slightly off topic, but...

i am curious to know what happens with a bv7-40 that has an internal blu-ray player. if the bv7 can not downscale does that mean that it can not distribute a video signal to link rooms ?

thanks,

scott

Filed under: ,
  • 07-23-2009 10:47 AM In reply to

hi Scott

No, the BD and DVB-HD signals are Downscaled so they can both be distributed to linkrooms..

• 07-23-2009 10:52 AM In reply to

stefan:

Sorry. The splitter has 1 input and 4 outputs. Connect apple TVs HDMI out to the input of the splitter. Connect output 1 to HDMI input of BV7-40. Connect output 2 to input of the scaler. Connect composite out of the scaler to a Scart adapter and connect the Scart lead to the same socket you have chosen for the HDMI input of BV7. Now you have analogue and digital video simultaneously. Composite signal will be sent to linkrooms via modulator. That`s it.

BTW: in my setup the scaler and splitter will be switched off automatically, when the mini goes to standby.

Stefan

Ohh i see...

I do however not need the digital video on my mainroom tv, (not for 300$ that is :-)) SO if i only want the analoge picture, i will not need the HDMI splitter. As discussed earlier, your solution is quite expensive, maybe i should just purchase another apple TV even though i actually have 2 linkroom tv´s.

• 07-23-2009 12:31 PM In reply to

My installation of AppleTV is a bit simpler and not described above. It includes a Slingbox which I already had, and a Sling Catcher with I purchased to send the AppleTV's video signal to the bedroom TV.

My main reason for having an AppleTV connected to my B&O is not video, but Audio. As an audio disctribution server, it works quite well, and integrates into the B&O ecosystem almost seamlessly.

Clearly video is a different issue, and can get very complicated as evidenced by this thread. My video distribution strategy for AppleTV is quite simple, though picture quality is clearly compromised. If you have a Slingbox already or plan to in the future, then as an added benefit, the additional cost of distributing video is not immense.

If however, I were interested in picture quality, then I would use one AppleTV for music distribution, and purchase a second AppleTV for the bedroom as the cost of an AppleTV is modest when compared to the cost of quality video and IR distribution hardware, cabling, and installation.

• 07-23-2009 5:00 PM In reply to

• msinn
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-11-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Hi, Stefan,

what cable(s) do you use to connect your mac mini to the hdmi splitter for audio and video?

msinn

• 07-25-2009 10:59 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Sorry about my late reply. You can connect the mini to the HDMI splitter using a DVI - HDMI lead for picture and for audio analogue direct to the Scart adapter you have connected the composite signal to. Or digital audio using a toslink  - coax converter direct to spdif input. This way you will have no sound in linkrooms. But you can use a Philips surround headphone amp - HD 1500, if I remember correctly - this one will bring you both, digital sound in mainroom and analogue (stereo) sound in linkrooms.

@Ehlers: Yes, you are right: Quite expensive in normal world. nearly 1000 Euro for the mac mini, Gefen splitter, converter, Philips amp, leads...

In Beo universe it`s half cost of a BM1.....

Hope this helps.

Stefan

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >