in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-01-2009 6:29 AM by stefan. 30 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2009 6:52 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

Re: AppleTV Distribution?

hi stefan,

you are doing with your mac mini exactly what i wish to do with my freebox (a french stb with interated media player). i have looked at the different products you cite and have a few questions.

i read the the gefen hdmi splitter manual and it states the hdmi output 1 is used to set the output characteristics for all hdmi outputs. this means that your bv7 determines that a full hd output is called for on all outputs.

it seems that gefen has different types of hdmi splitters, do you know what the difference is between the "GefenTV 1:4 Splitter for HDMI 1.3" (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4997) and "1:4 HDMI Splitter" (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3355) ? do they both provide simultaneous output, is there something else ?

the hdmi composite scaler is capable of taking the full hd output and converting it to composite sd. i read that the scaler is compliant hdmi 1.2 and that it does not convert hdmi hdcp signals. has either of these caused any problems ?

and finally, how do you distribute the sd signal ? do you connect the sd composite to your bv7, or with a composite to scart cable ?

thanks in advance for your time and help,

scott

• 07-30-2009 5:04 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Hi scott,

"you are doing with your mac mini exactly what i wish to do with my freebox (a french stb with interated media player). i have looked at the different products you cite and have a few questions."

First I want to make clear, that I don`t use the mini as a mediacenter anymore. It was replaced by a Tvix M6500 and it`s working really great in my Beolink system.

"i read the the gefen hdmi splitter manual and it states the hdmi output 1 is used to set the output characteristics for all hdmi outputs. this means that your bv7 determines that a full hd output is called for on all outputs."

Right.

"it seems that gefen has different types of hdmi splitters, do you know what the difference is between the "GefenTV 1:4 Splitter for HDMI 1.3" (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4997) and "1:4 HDMI Splitter" (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3355) ? do they both provide simultaneous output, is there something else ?"

The Gefen TV splitter is less expensive, so I got that one. I`m sure there are also 1:2 splitters that are cheaper and should work.

"the hdmi composite scaler is capable of taking the full hd output and converting it to composite sd. i read that the scaler is compliant hdmi 1.2 and that it does not convert hdmi hdcp signals. has either of these caused any problems ?"

No problems at all. I have no HDCP content and only DTS and DD, no HD audio. But this could be a problem with your stb.

"and finally, how do you distribute the sd signal ? do you connect the sd composite to your bv7, or with a composite to scart cable ?"

I`m using a scart to rca adapter connected to the scart socket of the AV port the Tvix is assigned to. (stereo) audio. BTW, I don`t know which freebox/mediaplayer you want to buy, but I can really recommend the Tvix 6500. It has a DVB-T HD module as option, 1TB HDD and is able to play 2 HD movies independantly from the same HDD. The first via HDMI on the BV7, the second via network on my macbook - wireless. 

"thanks in advance for your time and help,"

You are welcome. I hope this helps.

Stefan

• 07-31-2009 4:00 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hi stefan,

thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions, it sounds like you have quite the setup !

just for the record, i also contacted gefen concerning the difference between there two seeminly identical products, i.e. GefenTV 1:4 Splitter for HDMI 1.3 and 1:4 HDMI Splitter. their response is that they are exactly the same unit...

i'm still looking into the hdcp question, i'm sure i'll have to deal with it one day or another. does anyone know what a scaler does when it receives a hdcp signal ?

thanks again !

scott

• 07-31-2009 6:37 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Scott,

strange that the Gefen splitters are the same unit.... The TV splitter is nearly half the prize.

Maybe I have an answer to your HDCP question. In addition to the Tvix box I have a STB called Lyngbox. Beo is making a PUC for that box right now. I could test it yesterday in my dealer`s store. Lyngbox is a swedish sat receiver that is also able to receive HD channels. There is also a DVB-T HD tuner and a HDD. You can add a second DVBS-S2 tuner. The Lyngbox is able to output digital and analogue signals simultaneously, so I use the Scart output for linkrooms. But there are only SD channels available in linkrrooms. No BBC HD, National Geographic Channel HD, History HD....just in the mainroom via HDMI out. When I select BBC HD, there will be great picture and sound on my BV7, but a black screen with white pixels - like a scrambled channel that can`t be descrambled - and no sound. For me it doesn`t matter, because there are also "SD versions" of BBC, National Geo...History...

Stefan

• 07-31-2009 2:25 PM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hello,

yes, strange policy from gefen. i guess the internals are the same...

i'm looking into all my options on this hdmi thing. i found this :

http://www.lektropacks.com/view_product_standard.php?product=1001184&show=55&sub1=55

it scales a hdmi signal down to sd and passes the hdmi signal through. perfect, right ? but it looks like a really generic product, i've found it on lots of different sites under different names...  is there a quality issue with downscalers ?  this product is tempting because it fills the role of two gefen products. but if the quality sucks, it's not worth it.

so, open question to the forum, does the processor matter much on a hdmi to sd downscaler ?

thanks again for any and all help !

scott

• 08-01-2009 6:29 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Seems you have found an interesting product. With the CM-388 you just plug in HDMI and get composite, analogue stereo sound and HDMI + spdif.

Would be the simple solution for apple TV, blu-ray players, HD set top boxes.... 

There are some quite positive opinions about the converter on home cinema forums. I would like to know whether it is able to convert (lip sync) DD and DTS to analogue stereo...(?)

Wort a try! Keep us informed, please - thanks.

Stefan

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2