in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-26-2008 6:49 AM by ed7. 56 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-22-2008 2:17 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: Bang & Olufsen Rises on Report of Possible Takeover Interest

moxxey:
    dilznik:
    Ford taking over Volvo turned out to be the best thing that could've happened to Volvo.  They'd be out of business by now..

Yes, and Ford taking over Jaguar and Aston Martin was probably the worst thing for both those brands *and* Ford!

Ford also did a very good job when they took over Land Rover. They spent some serious money on the brand, I know I work there. Lets be honest the previous owners BMW only ever wanted the company for it's 4X4 technology. They put it up for sale just after they had released the X5.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-22-2008 2:46 PM In reply to

I cannot see Apple even coming into the running for a possible takeover, as has been said both are two very different companies allbeit with certain similarities.  Apple is throwaway consumerisim at its best whereas B&O is here today, here tomorrow.. or used to be anyway and I do think that any potential investor will be thinking about what it could and could not live with.. production in the east? more lower end products but with a relatively high price etc.

Very few takeovers (well except for skoda!) have been positive and I doubt employees of B&O are jumping with joy over this news. 

• 02-22-2008 3:31 PM In reply to

Alex:
    a take over ? well, in 2 years b&o will start producing wash machines for the world market in Dansk design

Ofcourse and the B&O washing machine will cost €20.000,-   :-)

• 02-22-2008 3:33 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Bingo:

Alex:
    a take over ? well, in 2 years b&o will start producing wash machines for the world market in Dansk design

Ofcourse and the B&O washing machine will cost €20.000,-   :-)

Perfect for Money Launderers !!

LaughingLaughing 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 02-22-2008 3:50 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Alex:

It's not the kind of thing Apple would do. The only time Apple have taken over other companies is when they want to use their technologies in their products.

You're right on that one Alex. It makes me wince that people believe it might happen. Apple are the polar opposite to the B&O target audience. Even most Apple users believe Apple products are 'too expensive' and they are generally low cost. The only thing Apple would want from B&O is potential patents as, in all honesty, buying B&O would be from loose change. They wouldn't want the stores, the MP3 products, the high-end stuff or factory.

IcePower in all laptops

• 02-22-2008 6:02 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Apple wouldn't care for B&O's ICEPower amps. They already use Class D amplifiers in their iMacs, and I suspect the MacBooks and MacBook Pros also use Class D amplification.

ICEPower would make no difference to the current Apple laptops, all their speakers are just over-glorified headphones...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-22-2008 7:27 PM In reply to

Alex:
    If an american company will takeover they wil exploiting the company and then close it.

Alex.  I know you probably made this remark because of what is happening to your favorite brand.  It certainly is frustrating to know B&O is not doing as well as we have hoped and that it may be taken over by a company that doesn't care about B&O's uniqueness.  However the stockholders are looking to maximize their value in B&O stock.

The big worry by some is that a sovereign wealth funds will be involved.  A sovereign wealth fund financed the buyout of Aston Martin.  This fund is the Kuwait Investment Company DAR.  This is not to say this is a bad thing but I am pointing out these things are transnational in scope.  You are correct that Apple is probably not interested in B&O.  There are many rumors that Apple is more interested in Adobe.

You can read about sovereign wealth funds here.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_wealth_funds

The second largest sovereign wealth fund is Norwegian which would presumably have a scandinavian design sense.  If they bought out B&O, they would also be interested in maximizing profit.  I am being facetious, of course. 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 02-23-2008 12:15 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Laughing [] Re: Bang & Olufsen Rises on Report of Possible Takeover Interest

Alex:

Apple wouldn't care for B&O's ICEPower amps. They already use Class D amplifiers in their iMacs, and I suspect the MacBooks and MacBook Pros also use Class D amplification.

ICEPower would make no difference to the current Apple laptops, all their speakers are just over-glorified headphones...

Sorry, That was supposed to be a joke, maybe I should have used a smiley face. How about anodized red, blue, charcoal & black laptops.

• 02-23-2008 6:51 AM In reply to

B&O Takeover Rumours

I don't like the sound of it. It makes me worry. Hope whatever happens turns out well for B&O.

• 02-23-2008 10:33 AM In reply to

Coolskin:

B&O Takeover Rumours

I don't like the sound of it. It makes me worry. Hope whatever happens turns out well for B&O.

To be honest, how could it get worse?  Sure they make some nice products, however:

They make some junk, too.

They take other people's junk, rebadge it, encase them in metal, and sell them for 10x the price.

They've totally over extended the shops.  Why why why does Munich need 6 B&O shops?  My dealer looks like he's ready to blow me as soon as I walk in the door.  I think there's a ratio of 20 customers per shop.

The TVs... they're nice but for what you get for the price it's just sort of... meh.

If there's a buy out and the new owners clean house and B&O gets some cash to stay alive and keep designing cool new products then how bad could it be? 

• 02-23-2008 11:08 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

dilznik:
    Coolskin:

B&O Takeover Rumours

To be honest, how could it get worse?  Sure they make some nice products, however:

They take other people's junk, rebadge it, encase them in metal, and sell them for 10x the price.

They've totally over extended the shops.  Why why why does Munich need 6 B&O shops?  My dealer looks like he's ready to blow me as soon as I walk in the door.  I think there's a ratio of 20 customers per shop.

The TVs... they're nice but for what you get for the price it's just sort of... meh.

If there's a buy out and the new owners clean house and B&O gets some cash to stay alive and keep designing cool new products then how bad could it be? 

read this article few months back

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30655&forum=48&keyword2=electronics

• 02-23-2008 3:00 PM In reply to

ed7:
    dilznik:
    Coolskin:

B&O Takeover Rumours

read this article few months back

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30655&forum=48&keyword2=electronics

Thanks for a link with much new info (to me at least).

@MODERATOR, please copy above article to Beoworld.org

• 02-23-2008 4:15 PM In reply to

ed7:

Very interesting article, thanks.

Mr Lewis's days look numbered and a radical shakeup looks expected in B&O takeover or no takeover. 

I do think the 9000 will be seen as the thorn in DL's side as he has never really moved on or excelled from this piece and everyone (imo of course) will always judge B&O and moreso Lewis and the 9000 similar to how we refer to Jensen and the 9500 being his masterpiece. 

Very true though, the article talks of Lewis's inablity to understand the digital age or rather a reluctance which has cost B&O dearly. 

• 02-23-2008 4:29 PM In reply to

• Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 29
    • Bronze Member

Craig:

Ford also did a very good job when they took over Land Rover. They spent some serious money on the brand, I know I work there. Lets be honest the previous owners BMW only ever wanted the company for it's 4X4 technology. They put it up for sale just after they had released the X5.

Off topic, but BMW was making 4wd back in the 80's e30 series. They DID completely re-engineer the Range Rover, first ever product from land rover with independent suspension. And the first new Range Rover in years... all Ford have done to that vehicle is put in a cheaper engine. True, Ford did get rid of the other relics in the lineup.

I don't think much of the new Folvos either, given that my family has owned 5 'real volvos'. 

Back on topic, I just hope B&O isn't taken over by samsung. 

• 02-23-2008 6:20 PM In reply to

mobeyone:

Mr Lewis's days look numbered and a radical shakeup looks expected in B&O takeover or no takeover. 

I do think the 9000 will be seen as the thorn in DL's side as he has never really moved on or excelled from this piece and everyone (imo of course) will always judge B&O and moreso Lewis and the 9000 similar to how we refer to Jensen and the 9500 being his masterpiece. 

Very true though, the article talks of Lewis's inablity to understand the digital age or rather a reluctance which has cost B&O dearly. 

Indeed.  It reminds me of something the drummer from my favorite band (Rush) once said when asked if he thinks that their most recent album is the best they've ever done.  He said he feels that about every album they make and the day that he can't say that is the day he quits.  Not a lot of people would do that.  They'd just put out sub-par product just to do it.

Yeah, the part about not dealing with the digital part isn't a good thing.  But he is 68-years old.  It's not a surprise.
  • 02-23-2008 6:25 PM In reply to

Ryan:

I don't think much of the new Folvos either, given that my family has owned 5 'real volvos'. 

Back on topic, I just hope B&O isn't taken over by samsung. 

That's interesting.  My family haven't owned anything but Volvos since 1986 and I think they keep getting better.  Indeed, they're putting out their best product now.  My 850 turbo was better than my 740 turbo and my S40 T5 was better than them both.  I thought I'd found my favorite car until I traded it in for a S40 T5 AWD.  Now I have a bus pass because only an idiot would bother owning a car when he lives and works in downtown Munich.  But the day I move back out I'll go straight to the Volvo dealer and test drive every model he's got to find my next car.  And if I'm no longer impressed then it'll be the Audi A5 but anyway... I still think the Ford buyout was the best thing to ever happen to them.  The only noticable Ford-ish thing is they had to start making SUVs which turned out to be their biggest seller.
  • 02-23-2008 6:26 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

"Sorensen says consumers often don't really know what they want. Instead, B&O designers intuit the products that will fly. "[Our] ideas...are not the result of market analysis but rather a deep understanding of how our consumers live," says Sorensen."

Doesn't that sum up what a lot of us think of B&O in 2008? ie lack of Freeview in the BV8 or no HDMI for the BV7-32? Do they really understand their customers?

Fingers crossed this A18 (BeoMaster 5?) has potential. From what I understand from my dealer, it's like a replacement for the BeoCenter 2 and BeoMedia, using design cues from both.

• 02-24-2008 2:14 AM In reply to

unfortunately for bno , people DO know what they want

the general populace are much more intelligent and discerning than they believe , good lord , what a condescending attitude they show

their arrogance is outrageous ! 

with the internet it's very easy to find out aboot the competition's products and compare features and price

here's a simple message to the bno boffins

' adapt and survive OR perish' 

the world won't work according to bno's bizarre philosophy , they - being a tiny insignificant little company ( do they even realise this ?? )  they will have to change and adapt to the modern world

fire lewis and get some young blood in - maybe johnny ive on  a consultancy basis ? 

popgear is grate™

• 02-24-2008 9:00 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

this was the original article from businessweek magazine

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_45/b4057057.htm?chan=search

• 02-24-2008 9:28 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

ed7:

this was the original article from businessweek magazine

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_45/b4057057.htm?chan=search

This article was posted on the Forum in the past I believe. Very interesting though.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-24-2008 1:55 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Flappo The Grate:

unfortunately for bno , people DO know what they want

the general populace are much more intelligent and discerning than they believe , good lord , what a condescending attitude they show

their arrogance is outrageous ! 

with the internet it's very easy to find out aboot the competition's products and compare features and price

here's a simple message to the bno boffins

' adapt and survive OR perish' 

the world won't work according to bno's bizarre philosophy , they - being a tiny insignificant little company ( do they even realise this ?? )  they will have to change and adapt to the modern world

fire lewis and get some young blood in - maybe johnny ive on  a consultancy basis ? 

I agree with many of your points, but to play devil's advocate for a moment - would the BS9000 exist if B&O was more "customer centric" in their design and development?  I doubt it.  I don't think the client base at the time it was designed could even conceive such a product - even today, there are people who "don't get it".  At one time, there was a review somewhere (epinions or something) where the reviewer mentioned that it was the pinacle of silly design - why not just take 6 portable CD players and mount them on a board for 1/6 the price? ... and he has a point, but then he's also totally missing the point (imho).  To you Apple lovers...  do you think the iPhone came from a focus group?

I've designed products and I've witnessed the fact that "customers" have a hard time with a blank sheets of paper and/or radical ideas.  You'll rarely come up with something totally innovative listening to your customers.  Customers are great for product evolution, but less so for when it comes to revolution, and given bno's long product cycles, each new product family really needs to be a "revolution".

B&O has made their mistakes (although I happen to still like and use my Beosound 2), and can probably benefit from some new blood in the design camp.  Then again, look at all the mistakes Sony has made in this same timeframe...

Stan 

• 02-25-2008 7:08 AM In reply to

• c1010
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

The article in Berlingske (in Danish); Stating that the way Torben was fired is the most "unbecoming" management action in Denmark in 2008.

http://www.business.dk/article/20080222/nyhedsmagasin/80220123/

• 02-25-2008 9:27 AM In reply to

Wouldn't it be a good idea that Philips takes over B&O?   They have already owned a part in the past so know the company best I think.

• 02-25-2008 11:04 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Bingo:

Wouldn't it be a good idea that Philips takes over B&O?   They have already owned a part in the past so know the company best I think.

What would B&O bring to Philips that they wouldn't be able to license from B&O?

B&O is a $900 million/year company. Philips is multi-billion $/year company. In fact, I seriously doubt Philips make their money from AV equipment and more likely from other, more commercial, sources.

• 02-25-2008 12:12 PM In reply to

Dear All:

There's some truth to the notion that 'customers do not know' what they want.  When presented with options most surveyed customers want everything but still want ease of use.  Independent design ideas are great but they need to be put through their paces by 'real' customers.  

This forum could serve as a 'real' customer perspective.   Perhaps not so much in the design but how to mix the designs with current technology expectations.  I do not mean the latest and 'greatest' tech.  B&O could have avoided the mistake of not including HDMI & other tech basics to some of their current offerings. 

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >