in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-26-2008 6:49 AM by ed7. 56 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-22-2008 4:10 AM

Bang & Olufsen Rises on Report of Possible Takeover Interest

From Bloomberg News:

By Meera Bhatia
         Feb. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Bang & Olufsen A/S, the electronics
    maker that ousted its chief executive officer last month, rose
    the most in three weeks in Copenhagen trading after Berlingske
    Tidende said the company may be a bid target.
         Bang & Olufsen gained as much as 12.5 kroner, or 3.9 percent,
    to 333 kroner. The percentage advance was the biggest since Jan.
    29. The stock was up 3.6 percent at 332 kroner at 9:22 a.m. local
    time, reducing this year's drop to 31 percent.
         Private-equity firms may seek to take over the luxury
    consumer-electronics maker following the share-price slide, the
    Copenhagen-based newspaper reported, without saying how it got
    the information. ``Some'' funds are interested in buying the
    company, the newspaper said, without identifying them.
         Bang & Olufsen ousted Torben Ballegaard Soerensen as CEO on
    Jan. 10, a day after forecasting lower earnings. Telephone calls
    made to Tino Pedersen, head of information at the Struer,
    Denmark-based company, weren't immediately returned today.
         Henrik Ekman, asset manager for pension fund LD, declined
    to comment, according to Berlingske. LD owns 5.5 percent of Bang
    & Olufsen's shares and controls 13.7 percent of its voting
    rights, enough to block a takeover, the newspaper said.

--With reporting by Christian Wienberg in Copenhagen. Editor:
    Dan Weeks.

• 02-22-2008 4:52 AM In reply to

Re: Bang & Olufsen Rises on Report of Possible Takeover Interest

I kind of expected this to become "news" at some point.. not good and I hope there is a strong opposition against any takeover as this would probably mean the end of B&O as we know it....

Just to add, I would say that most companies will be subjected to the same rumours as eagle eyed investors will be looking to snap up companies for peanuts that are looking a little shaky as a result of the current problems within the global economy.

• 02-22-2008 5:05 AM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

hmmm you could always look at Aston Martin and Lamborghini as examples of high end, small companies who have positively benifited under ownership. Lambo is a good example - same exotic design, strong national identity but now backed up with real technological performance, innovation and reliability - those things would be good to add to B&O right now...

but remember you dont find an Audi rings on a Lambo or (used to) find a Ford oval on an Aston! so samsung stamped on everything (or however takes over) is not the answer.

• 02-22-2008 5:13 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

a take over ? well, in 2 years b&o will start producing wash machines for the world market in Dansk design
  • 02-22-2008 5:23 AM In reply to

A takeover doesn't have to be a bad thing, it depends entirely of who is doing the takeover and what they do with the company. I suspect a new owner would either take B&O further upmarket or go the other way and look at B&O as simply a brand that could be used for badge engineering purposes.(Which would be a bad thing!)

A hard-nosed corporate buyer would be quite likely to move more manufacturing away from Struer to the Slovakian site and simply keep the design operation in Denmark to reduce costs.

Simon

• 02-22-2008 6:10 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

If an american company will takeover they wil exploiting the company and then close it.
  • 02-22-2008 6:14 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Alex:
    If an american company will takeover they wil exploiting the company and then close it.

i like your optimism lol Unsure

• 02-22-2008 6:41 AM In reply to

Alex:

To be fair there are agressive venture capitalists in many countres these days (the Uk is one of the worst offenders!) , the anti-American slant isn't really necessary. 

Simon 

• 02-22-2008 6:52 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

If I had the money I should buy the B&O factory myself Big Smile

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 02-22-2008 7:05 AM In reply to

Maybe a buyout by Beoworld!! I'll have a quick look down the back of the sofa and see what I have! Laughing
  • 02-22-2008 7:08 AM In reply to

• kuliand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • nuneaton
    • Posts 43
    • Founder

B&O being taken over by private would almost certainly be bad thing so i would rather a large company like samsung bought it. Do either of the bang or olufsen families own many shares in the company still.
  • 02-22-2008 7:09 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Laughing

Somehow though, I can't quite see a takeover happening. Whilst things clearly haven't gone as well as B&O expected, they're still financially sound...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-22-2008 7:14 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Alex, the media company (will remain unnamed) I work for is a very large and big publishing company, also financially sound. However, we were taken over by a private equity company.

Same with elements of EMAP.

The biggest issue with private equity is that they want a quick profit and often spend the short-term streamlining the company they've taken over. Private equity companies are only in it to sell on the company for a profit, sooner rather than later.

However, it might mean that they immediately ditch the phones, car deals and concentrate on the TVs, speakers and core products. Private equity companies move very quickly, so we could expect almost immediate changes. The company that took over our media company made changes within 2 months of the takeover.

• 02-22-2008 7:18 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

the writing was on the wall b&o handled the transition from the analog to digital badly imho
  • 02-22-2008 7:34 AM In reply to

Alex:

Laughing

Somehow though, I can't quite see a takeover happening. Whilst things clearly haven't gone as well as B&O expected, they're still financially sound...

It'a all down to whether the current owners of the shares think they will make more money  from a buyout or by hanging onto their shares.   If it's the former then a deal is likely to be done assuming (and it is a big assumption) that there is an interested buyer who wants to splash the cash, whether or  not B&O is making a profit.

Simon 

• 02-22-2008 8:51 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Philips helped B&O out of a slump in the past.
  • 02-22-2008 9:09 AM In reply to

ed7:
    the writing was on the wall b&o handled the transition from the analog to digital badly imho

totally agree with that 

their attitude to built in freeview on tv's sold in the uk - their biggest market outside denmark says it all

oh great , i'll blow £5k on a tv that in 2012 will be useless ! 

popgear is grate™

• 02-22-2008 9:29 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

We also have to remember that there are two classes of shares in B&O. The A-shares which count for 10 % of the value, holds about 50 % of the votes.

Almost all the A-shares are controlled by LD (see the Bloomberg feed in top), the B&O family and B&O self. This makes a takeover hard to pull through.

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 02-22-2008 9:37 AM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Apple take over. BeoSound 6, BeoVision 8, BeoMedia Stopped. B&O integrate Mac OS, Airport, Wi-fi/Blue Tooth into every product. B&O survive another 25 years. The end.

Yes -  thumbs up

• 02-22-2008 11:27 AM In reply to

that's not as crazy as it may sound

they sell bno speakers and headphones at the apple store online

who knows ??

maybe jonny ive is a big bno fan and will get uncle steve to buy him sotheing to play with ?? 

popgear is grate™

• 02-22-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

mobeyone:

I kind of expected this to become "news" at some point.. not good and I hope there is a strong opposition against any takeover as this would probably mean the end of B&O as we know it....

Alex:

Ford taking over Volvo turned out to be the best thing that could've happened to Volvo.  They'd be out of business by know if it weren't for Ford.  Americans own Ducati and I don't hear anyone complaining about their products either.

Maybe B&O should stop making half the moronic junk they make and concentrate on stereos and TVs.  Or better yet Apple should buy them out and integrate all the stereo and TV products with their computers into a true media center for every budget.
  • 02-22-2008 12:54 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

that's not as crazy as it may sound

they sell bno speakers and headphones at the apple store online

who knows ??

maybe jonny ive is a big bno fan and will get uncle steve to buy him sotheing to play with ?? 

It's not the kind of thing Apple would do. The only time Apple have taken over other companies is when they want to use their technologies in their products.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-22-2008 1:56 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

It's not the kind of thing Apple would do. The only time Apple have taken over other companies is when they want to use their technologies in their products.

You're right on that one Alex. It makes me wince that people believe it might happen. Apple are the polar opposite to the B&O target audience. Even most Apple users believe Apple products are 'too expensive' and they are generally low cost. The only thing Apple would want from B&O is potential patents as, in all honesty, buying B&O would be from loose change. They wouldn't want the stores, the MP3 products, the high-end stuff or factory.

• 02-22-2008 2:01 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

dilznik:

Ford taking over Volvo turned out to be the best thing that could've happened to Volvo.  They'd be out of business by now..

Yes, and Ford taking over Jaguar and Aston Martin was probably the worst thing for both those brands *and* Ford!

• 02-22-2008 2:10 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    dilznik:
    Ford taking over Volvo turned out to be the best thing that could've happened to Volvo.  They'd be out of business by now..

Yes, and Ford taking over Jaguar and Aston Martin was probably the worst thing for both those brands *and* Ford!

Im not so sure! Aston never made  agood car before Ford injected some cash, actually the V8 is quite good and seems to last beyond leaving the transporter- something the others never did!

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >