in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-21-2007 2:01 AM by Keith Saunders. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-19-2007 1:11 PM

Power Link adapter

Hi,

I am trialing some powerlink speakers into my Beoport.

Got them (BL4s) home and was caught by a lack of daisy chaining on the BeoLab 4s and/or the lack of two power link outputs on the Beoport.

So I test listened to just one speaker ... beautiful clear sound, much better than out of the masked off mini-jack output port. 

Then I dashed back to the store to get a power link Y-splitter and connected it all.

*shock*

I now have speaker hum ...

I know that the power link cables need to be Mk-IIIs so I presume the hum is coming from the fact that the Y-splitter is down level in power link status.

Do you all agree with my diagnosis ?

[:'(]

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-19-2007 1:25 PM In reply to

Re: Power Link adapter

How old is your Beoport ?

The reason I ask is because there is an issue which can be quickly fixed with an earth link on the powerlink of the Beoport.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 05-19-2007 1:30 PM In reply to

Would seem very sensible, except I have Beolab 3s coming off my Beoport (Beolink PC2) using a Y connector and no hum at all. I did initially, but changed the Beolink PC2 for a newer one and the hum went. Make sure all the plugs and sockets are well seated.
  • 05-19-2007 1:31 PM In reply to

Further to my last post, if you have an early PC2/Beoport then Pin 7 (data ground) has no connection to BeoPort/BeoLink PC2.
    You can solve the problem by
    Short-circuit pin 2 and 7
    Alternatively, this modification can be made in the splitter connected to BeoPort
    Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 05-19-2007 1:57 PM In reply to

The only thing about this is the fact that attaching one gave no hum. Would suggest, just as Ed supposes , that the fault is in the Y splitter.
  • 05-19-2007 2:22 PM In reply to

I remember very well when I bought the BL4s for my beoport, that my dealer had 2 different models of powerlink Y-spliters in the store, and then he said me that one of them didn't worked well with the BL4s/BL3s (hum noise), but the other one (which he verified very carefully) worked fine. So maybe your problem is there.

I hope that helps you, best regards. 

Santiago

• 05-19-2007 2:22 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Peter:
    The only thing about this is the fact that attaching one gave no hum. Would suggest, just as Ed supposes , that the fault is in the Y splitter.

Wakey wakey Peter. That wasn't Ed. Are you burning the candle at both ends?
    Perhaps you should see a doctorWink

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-19-2007 2:47 PM In reply to

Elephant is another Edward! And a fine man - and a resident Geordie! Sort of! Laughing

Would you like to try my splitter to see if that is the problem? I have an early morning assignment but could drop by later! 

• 05-19-2007 2:53 PM In reply to

I'm sorry, but a parallel question:

I'll receive soon a brand new Beolink active for the bedroom, 

How many powerlink outputs has the Beolink active; only one, same as Beoport?

So if I want connect BL4s or BL3s to this Beolink active do I need this same Y-splitter?

Thanks in advance

Santiago

• 05-19-2007 2:59 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-19-2007 3:09 PM In reply to

Embarrassed I'm sorry again, I've already found the answer:

I've just download the "beolink active reference" manual and there I can see it has 2 powerlink sockets...so no splitter needed.

My fault asking so quick before thinking... just tired.

Santiago

• 05-19-2007 5:17 PM In reply to

Peter

"Tha' would be grand" mainly to introduce you to Sue !

Address in PM

And just to complicate things, when I removed the Y-splitter the hum lessened but did not disappear (mind you I hand also shuffled power cables around) ... supposedly my Beoport is relatively new ... as in maybe 12-18 months old ... but I dont know how long it was on the shelf in Australia :( 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-20-2007 11:27 PM In reply to

Never got anywhere with the powerlink, so I bought an old fashioned jackplug splitter and cables ...

I tried the jackplug from the masked OUTPUT port at the back of the Beoport and that had hum ... not as bad as the powerlink though

I then moved the jackplug directly to my PC bypassing the Beoport ... no hum!

Looks like I do have an old Beoport although I don't understand why I did not hear the hum when I only had the one speaker going ................. 

• 05-21-2007 1:54 AM In reply to

Sorry I didn't get to you - bit tied up this week end but it sounds as if you have identified the problem. There is a simple fix which is to short pin 2 and 7 which is all that the new ones do, as Keith has pointed out.
  • 05-21-2007 2:01 AM In reply to

Just because you did not hear the hum when you only had one speaker connected does not mean that the Beoport is not at fault in my view.

I suggest you do a test and with the power switched off your Beoport and the powerlink cable removed, check with a multi-meter to see if pins 2 & 7 of the Powerlink on the Beoport are shorted together. If they are not, then just short them together.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)