in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-03-2007 11:16 AM by Peter. 281 replies.
Page 6 of 12 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-14-2007 2:04 AM In reply to

Re: Beo 5 Countdown- who get the first one...?

It has actually a lot less functions than a beo 4. 
    I think that some programming should be possible to do within the beo 5 witout having to connect to a computer.

/Ola
  • 09-14-2007 3:09 AM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Have you seen it?!?

It is very nice ... but what can be done with all the fingerprints ... it becomes so very, very greasy! Wear white gloves? Imagine that the BV7 came with a touch-sensitive screen and you'll get my point. I'd love to have the Beo5 but after having seen it live ... well I'm not so sure any more   

/Munin 

• 09-14-2007 3:16 AM In reply to

erg4000:
    Realizing that I have to bring my  Beo5 to a dealer, whenever I want to make changes in the software is quite dissapointing. At the moment my Beo5 with it's basic settings has not more capabilities than a Beo4.

I would expect the first set up to be included in the purchase price! Do remember that your dealer is learning at present! He has really been sent some demo models and any of us who have one must realise that we are test rats!! Sensible people will wait till the bugs are ironed out! Should only take a couple of weeks for the dealers to be happy programming and to get the next shipment in.

Please don't judge this excellent product by the experiences of the early adopters as we will clearly come across problems that most will never see. In a way, it is just what we have always asked for - to be involved in the development of a product! In this case, the development is the learning curve of the dealers programming the device. If we can help by reporting issues then it would no doubt be useful. However I would rather this was done directly to the dealers who can then spread the good practice through their network. I don't think an airing of all the problems on a public forum will be very useful and could put people off what promises to be a landmark product.

• 09-14-2007 3:44 AM In reply to

misled:
    beo5 work with the playstation3!!!!!

Hmm what do you mean?

Have you tested it?

PS3 use bluetooth!

..but I know it´s in the config swUnsure

• 09-14-2007 4:53 AM In reply to

Munin:
     ... but what can be done with all the fingerprints ...

Like the Beolink 7000, just do not clean it for a while. It is not as bad as it sounds, but when the grease spreads evenly on the screen, the fingerprint do not show anymore - and no, the remote does not look like it is covered in grease...

• 09-14-2007 5:52 AM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Can someone at last explain clearly and precisely how the Beo5 will control non B&O items that we all have? (Sony DVD players or whatever).

1/ Do we have to add another PUC (to the already existing STB-C) in our B&O TVs and pray that B&O managed to implement the 3rd part codes in the list?

2/ Is the STB-C the PUC taking care of that? (No additional PUC needed)

3/ or does the Beo5 command all by itself the items? (No PUC needed at all).

Thanks for at last clearing this out for the community (This all Beo5 thread is so confusing to readSuper Angry)

Philippe

• 09-14-2007 10:04 AM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

wtlc2zpx:

Munin:

Like the Beolink 7000, just do not clean it for a while. It is not as bad as it sounds, but when the grease spreads evenly on the screen, the fingerprint do not show anymore - and no, the remote does not look like it is covered in grease...

Are you serious??? 

/Munin

• 09-14-2007 10:12 AM In reply to

Well, yes...
  • 09-14-2007 11:12 AM In reply to

Thanks for cheering me up, Peter. I have no doubt, that my dealer will perform several setups for my Beo5, free of charge. I didn't want to judge the Beo5, and paying 500 € for a RC, that is not programmable at the moment, is my commitment to B&O. I'm looking forward that my dealer will be able to fix the issues. As a tech guy on the other hand, I don't like to be paternalized when I want to programme the features of my Beo5. B&O should enable customers making their own updates and adjustments over USB and a MAC/PC. Airing minor issues of the Beo5 shouldn't put off people to buy a Beo5, but B&O could rethink their Beo5 programming policy.

Filed under: , , ,
  • 09-14-2007 1:17 PM In reply to

Philippe:

Can someone at last explain clearly and precisely how the Beo5 will control non B&O items that we all have? (Sony DVD players or whatever).

1/ Do we have to add another PUC (to the already existing STB-C) in our B&O TVs and pray that B&O managed to implement the 3rd part codes in the list?

Thanks for at last clearing this out for the community (This all Beo5 thread is so confusing to readSuper Angry)

Philippe

Salut Philippe mon ami!

Fresh news from my dealer:

Beo5 will be able to command any IR domestic device only by itself (so your option number 3 Yes -  thumbs up)...
    BUT
    only in the future ! Hmm
    B&O has not yet implemented the codes; the beo5 hardware is universal "IR ready", but not the actual software.

By the way, my beo5 arrives in two weeks Party!!!

Greetings. 

Santiago

• 09-14-2007 1:45 PM In reply to

Hmm..touching my Beo5 until the grease spreads evenly...That's at least one thing I can do until my dealer is able to install the new software. 
  • 09-14-2007 2:30 PM In reply to

Philippe:

Philippe

I have been trying to follow this thread and like Philippe, I find the whole thing very confusing.  The introduction of BEO5 is almost like the introduction of Beomedia 1.  There is very little substantive information on what Beo5 actually can do.  As usual, there is a rather vague user manual.  The other thing I am perplexed about is the issue of the software.  Maybe some people will need to come into a dealer to get their Beo5 setup and pay for the service.  However this is 2007 and most people especially people posting here have computers and cell phones that are much more complicated than a Beo5 could possibly be.

In North America, there is a lot of distance between dealers.  I can't imagine sending a Beo5 by Fedex to a dealer for a setup change only to find that it is was done incorrectly or that I had asked for the wrong thing.  Who is going to do the testing to make sure that it works properly?

However I get to see and try a Beo5 next Thursday.  Maybe it will be more clear then.

Bill 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 09-14-2007 2:47 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

wtlc2zpx:

Munin:

That sounds awful mateIck!
    Perhaps the process could be hastened along with a quick smear of margarine!
    I can't imagine anybody parting with the best part of half a grand and not keeping it absolutely pristine.
    I keep a glasses cleaning cloth under a cushion in the lounge which is used regularly on Serene, 7000, Beo5 etc.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-15-2007 6:22 AM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

jandyt:
    wtlc2zpx:

Munin:

That sounds awful mateIck!
    Perhaps the process could be hastened along with a quick smear of margarine!
    I can't imagine anybody parting with the best part of half a grand and not keeping it absolutely pristine.
    I keep a glasses cleaning cloth under a cushion in the lounge which is used regularly on Serene, 7000, Beo5 etc.

Andy T.

Well Andy ... the problem with your approach is that  you'd have to use the cleaning cloth for every single click on the Beo5 screen. Use white gloves instead - will save you a lot of time. For some cheap mobile phone that is already scratched and dirty I can understand that fingerprints is not a big issue, but for the most designed remote control ever made - this is absolutely a problem. I don't know who designed it - was it David Lewis? Whoever it was - he/she must have spent a considerable time looking for a solution. What could have been the options? 1) Using the display as a display only - i.e no touch control (certainly you loose functionality but it could have been an alternative), 2) Finding an alternative to the absolutely blank black glass surface (I have never seen such a solution - I guess the iPhone people have been stuck with the same problem) 3) "Intelligent aluminum" - B&Os hypothetical translucent aluminum that some think will show up in the new high end audiocenter (is aluminum better for fingerprints?) 4) Some sort of hybrid display with a grid of small, slightly elevated, buttons. .... Well, I guess there are many, many options ... and I'm just puzzled that they released this fantastic product with this big flaw.

/M  

• 09-15-2007 8:18 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

It's a touchscreen, it's going to have fingerprints. Live with it, however you may! Each to their own. Personally i would be wiping it often, it's second nature to me, and it's the same diff with the BS2.

To be blunt though, why on earth did B&O not implement the same matt finish screen material that is found on the Beo4 remote?! 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-15-2007 4:27 PM In reply to

Now have mine!! Can confirm the following! :

1. 3rd party IR codes are not available  - yet! There is a tab to add them in the dealer software but it is not active!

2.  It does show finger marks - to be fair so does the aluminium on the BC2. Translucent aluminium would be no good as you cannot see logos.

3. To get the most out of this remote, the programming takes a long time!

4. There are a few glitches in the system, particularly if you have a silly set up like mine!

5. B&O must make the software available in some form to customers! Dealers will need to set up general templates with most logos and buttons pre-programmed for common scenarios.

6. Sky channels are easy to set up and assign a logo to. King Street know how!  

• 09-15-2007 5:03 PM In reply to

Today I had a nice chat with my local dealer and we spent some time to go through the "Beo5 Configuration Module". First, the software is for authorized dealers only, not for customers (at the moment). You have to enter a Beo5 serial number into the software that's online and connected to the B&O server where your configuration is stored. Later, if you move to another place, a different dealer can have access to your configurations and make changes. Here are my impressions about the configuration software: 

- At the moment, my dealer is not able to connect his Beo5 because (guess what..) of a missing Windows driver (wouldn't happen with a Mac). All in all we predominantly saw windows error messages during our work with the software. 

- Yes, I saw the Playstation 3 on the STB list, but there wasn't Apple TV (Although Apple TV should be accessible vie software-update on my Beosystem 3)

- You can click on pictures of your B&O devices at home to build your Beo5 setup.

- You can choose  logos of most TV channels, but you will have to bring your channel list to the dealer, so that he knows how to sort the logos. 

- You can define and configure spaces and name them like "Living Room", "Kitchen"...

During our chat we realized that B&O dealers are facing huge problems in satisfying the demands of their Beo5 customers. My local dealer was afraid to become overburden if he has to make every change on his customers' Beo5's. I think B&O should offer either the Beo5 configuration module to their customers, or at least should allow dealers to send configuration files to the customer, so that he can upgrade his Beo5 at home with a simple installation module. 

In the end, I went home today without update, and have to get along with a Beo5 that only has basic features. 

• 09-15-2007 5:07 PM In reply to

eduard:

Okay, a qustion:

I do not get the hang of the Light section. I mean how can I controle the LC-2. Beo-4 was: "Light, list, (number of the lc-2) and than go" Now...... I do not undrstand it, so please can someone explain it to me???

Thank's!

You need a software update on your Beo5. I saw the LC 2 on the device list of the Beo5 configuration module.

• 09-15-2007 8:30 PM In reply to

eduard:

Okay, a qustion:

I do not get the hang of the Light section. I mean how can I controle the LC-2. Beo-4 was: "Light, list, (number of the lc-2) and than go" Now...... I do not undrstand it, so please can someone explain it to me???

Thank's!

First, make sure you have selected a zone, where the LC2 is located. 

There are 3 fixed buttons on the bottom of the display. Press the button on the right, and the text light will show up in your display.

• 09-16-2007 2:58 AM In reply to

Judging by the most recent postings, I am not going to be an early adopter of the Beo5.  It seems to me B&O are getting their customers to do the testing

How often would someone buy a product that the dealers don't fully understand?  Beo5 looks like it could be a great product but not now.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 09-16-2007 3:15 AM In reply to

I think the learning curve will be very quick. The software is fine once you have used it a few times - the driver problem is likely to be due to the USB controller in the dealer computer. The Beo5s released so far are really the ones designed for dealers. B&O realise that some will go to customers and also no doubt realise that these will be the early adopters who will accept some glitches initially. As I have said before, by the time dealers get the next batch, they will be up to speed with the software and will have templates prepared. I would have no hesitation in recommending this product and am confident that it will work well when set up by your dealer. This will not take long for the vast majority of systems.
  • 09-16-2007 4:09 AM In reply to

DoubleU:
    eduard:

Okay, a qustion:

Thank's!

First, make sure you have selected a zone, where the LC2 is located. 

There are 3 fixed buttons on the bottom of the display. Press the button on the right, and the text light will show up in your display.

All I see is a "standard" zone. In this zone the right button doesn't give me access to "light". 

By the way. Which software versions do you all have and when was the last configuration ? These infos are accessible in the configuration menu. Here are my infos:

1.12a
    18-06-2007
Page 6 of 12 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »