in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-03-2007 11:16 AM by Peter. 281 replies.
Page 5 of 12 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-13-2007 5:37 AM In reply to

Re: Beo 5 Countdown- who get the first one...?

eduard:
    marcus_m:

eduard:
    What do you mean about the SW.... how you upgrade??

Eduard, the question is: how to the config SW?!? Without that I won't buy the Beo5 :-(

Marcus 

The SW is a dealer thing.... so I am affraid you can not have the SW...

I know, this is the official version of the story.....  

• 09-13-2007 6:20 AM In reply to

eduard:

A dealer will conf. your Beo-5..... and why do you want to do this...? If you ask what you want then there is no problemo! Good luck!

To avoid a trip to the dealer everytime you modify your setup. Some dealer will charge for the configuration.

• 09-13-2007 6:24 AM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

I quite agree with Rijnmond. Part of the fun is not only programming something yourself, but having the ability and tools to program it yourself. I've been caught several times having to rely on service staff who abuse their power, and provide the minimum of service so that you'll have to come back and pay again---just like dentists as a matter of fact. 

What many of us would like is the potential to program our own peripherals, even though some of us might not be able to technically. Anyone seen the Life of Brian?  

Mike 

• 09-13-2007 7:06 AM In reply to

Yes, that's the point. I rearrange my system from time to time, and don't want to go to the dealer (a trip of 2hours, by the way) every time. So my position is very clear on this: without having the ability to program it myself I won't buy it - even if I really like the Beo5!

Marcus 

• 09-13-2007 9:48 AM In reply to

I have deliberately stayed out of this discussion so far but I can't bite my tongue any longer.

The guys who are desparate for the configuration software just want to play with it. You can come up with all the excuses like reorganising your system from time to time and multiple trips to dealer etc etc but they are all "bullshit". Be honest, you just want to fiddle with it. Whatever turns you on but at least be honest with yourself and everybody else!Geeked

If you have a multiroom, linked system then just think about it for a minute. You are in the study, where's the Beo5? You are in the lounge, where's the Beo5. Chances are that it will never be in the room with you unless you carry it around with you in your pocket!Super Angry

I've got a remote in just about every room in the house that has a system. Office, lounge, sunroom, kitchen, bedroom. I'm never more than a couple of metres from a remote. Much more satisfactory than searching for the Beo5.Smile

Me, I certainly will not be rushing out to buy one.

Regards Graham

• 09-13-2007 9:58 AM In reply to

From another thread in the same vein:

Sorry to be a killjoy but I have to do this.

'Beoworld will not be party to the dissemination of software that is designed only for use by dealers. We feel that B&O have limited its use for reasons that are clear and to prevent damage to customers' equipment. Until such a time that the software is authorised, we would hope that no member will use the forums on Beoworld to illegally distribute this software and will remove links posted on this forum.'

The software that is available is designed for use by the dealers and is probably not without bugs. If you do use it and something goes wrong, you will get no support from B&O so be it on your own heads! I have little doubt that a customer version will appear at some point or B&O will be happy with the stability and allow its release.

It seems strange that we are happy to rely on B&O to do the correct thing with our products but not trust their judgement about software. My experience of computers and software is that these are the most likely thing to cause problems, particularly when used by those not trained to work them!

• 09-13-2007 10:21 AM In reply to

joeyboygolf:
    The guys who are desparate for the configuration software just want to play with it.

Yes you are right, I'd love to PLAY with it, and I mentioned it in this same thread before, and so did other members

wtlc2zpx:
    Also, being geeky, I think half of the fun with this remote is the configuration bit.

• 09-13-2007 2:17 PM In reply to

I'm not sure if this is all "bullshit"
    My dealer told me that the Beo5 is e.g. capable of programming macros for direct access to teletext sites with coresponding logos (like weather). He also told me that if someone wants to add or edit one of these shortcuts, he has to go to the dealer and pay for the reprogramming.
    Hmm, that means if I want to chnage the "weather" shortcut from program 3 site 614 to program 1 site 420, because they have now the better forecast, I have to drive 1 hour, wait 1 hour until the Beo5 is reprogrammed, pay xx Euro (even my dealer was not able to tell the fee right now) and drive 1 hour back just to realize, that the weather forecast was on program 4 not on 1!!!

And now think about the shortcuts for displaying the photo library of my PC - impossible to do the programming without the system.

So maybe now you understand why this a key factor for me!

It would be a good idea to reflect the views of other people before starting to rant..... just my 2 cents

Marcus

• 09-13-2007 2:43 PM In reply to

Lets talk about what we can do without the software. on page 16 of the manual there is a short description of how to enter the setup, but not much about how much or little control you have?

Also according to the spec the remote supports RC5 and NEC protocols, but not the feq to carry it? Beo5 only supports 455 KHz and 2080 KHz and RC5 and NEC is typically in the 30-40 range.

• 09-13-2007 3:02 PM In reply to

I asked BeoCare those Q and got the answer that this is what they know for now and that maybe there will be a consumer sw with limited features =(

/Ola
  • 09-13-2007 3:03 PM In reply to

eduard:
    My advice at this moment: Call ore sent a mail to beocare in Struer and ask if a dealer can ask money for uploading a beo-5. We all pay a lot of money for the remote.... so some help from a dealer is a must...... If you get a answer, please mention it here on the forum, so we all know!
    Hi Eduard,
    I'll keep you informed on this issue.
    As you already have one, can you please tell me what can be programmed without the SW. My dealer told ma that only TV, DVD, V.TAPE, CD and Radio is possible in the initial delivery state.
    Thanks, Marcus
  • 09-13-2007 3:22 PM In reply to

My suspicion is that the product has been released to the market in a somewhat unseemly panic, especially the configuration software. B&O simply could not afford to release bug infested software to the general public and have sensibly restricted it to dealer use only.

There may also be good commercial reasons for such a restriction into the future. For example, it would increase the footfall at their dealers thus encouraging further sales of main items. The dealer may also decide to adopt a progam of customer visits to reprogram the Beo5 on site.

My advice would be wait. Let the bugs get ironed out. It is usually a mistake to buy the first incarnation of any product!

With regard to your examples above. I guess that the dealer will depend upon the customer providing the correct information.

This is a forum, I am entitled to air my opinions along with any other member and need not reflect the views of others.

Regards Graham

• 09-13-2007 3:27 PM In reply to

And as a Technical Adviser, your words are always worth listening to!

Though I do suspect Puncher, Chris and you are setting up the Beoworld Grumpy Old Men Society! Laughing 

• 09-13-2007 3:47 PM In reply to

Peter:

And as a Technical Adviser, your words are always worth listening to!

Though I do suspect Puncher, Chris and you are setting up the Beoworld Grumpy Old Men Society! Laughing 

Never!!! Have you been talking to my wife.Laughing

Regards Graham

• 09-13-2007 4:08 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

We havent gotten beo 5 yet in the US stores yet. But as discussed in our traning session we will be charging for elaborate programing of the Beo 5. I have several clients that want very detailed things and it is very time consuming. I know that my knowledge, expertise and time are worth something and should be accounted for.  We will offer a Basic Beo 5 programming included in the price of the remote but when we get inti macros, lighting, HVAC systems and channel line up for every member of the family is complicated and even confusing at times and like i mentioned very time consuming. 

Thats my point of view as a dealer rep. 

-Alex
  • 09-13-2007 4:36 PM In reply to

Got mine today in Germany. I wasn't expecting to get one so fast. By coincidence my dealer received the first two of them today and I bought one. The reps in the B&O store were pretty much confused about the large amount of features the Beo5 has, and still were at a stage of learning. My Beo5 will charge tonight and I can start playing arround with it tomorrow after a hard working day. Two things I am curious about:

- Will it work with the Playstation 3 ?

- Will it work with Apple TV ?

I have a Beosystem 3, that will probably need a software update.

Best. 

• 09-13-2007 5:34 PM In reply to

• misled
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 66
    • Bronze Member

beo5 work with the playstation3!!!!!

BVision10-46,BLab11,BSound5,BMaster5,BLab8000,BLab6000,BLab2500,BCom5,BCom6000,BeoTime,BeoPort,Beo4,Beo5

• 09-13-2007 5:48 PM In reply to

eduard:

I have the Beo-5 just for one day, so forgive me if I made the wrong answer. As far I can see, I can not change anything (please correct me If I am wrong) on the Beo-5, you really need a SW on your computer...to change the setting ore other things....

There is a hidden menu that allow hiding and showing buttons, but only the ones that have been programmed by the dealer.

p. 

• 09-13-2007 6:45 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Alex, I see your point, but you also ignore those customers who do have some expertise, and many others who could quickly acquire it. When you say your 'knowledge and expertise and time are worth something and should be accounted for', 'Hear hear!' But the same could be said of several consumers.

Besides, how much time have you spent programming the product? Does the short Beoacademy course really make you an expert?

I hope, like for all programming languages, that there will be applicable texts and examples of what can and can't be done with these new controls. As well as methodology provided to program them for those who wish to dabble, sorry 'play'. If they really make a mess of things, is that so bad? There's bound to be a reset to factory condition(!)

• 09-13-2007 6:52 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

I completly agree with you that some of our customers are more than capable of doing this and I do agree there should be also a "consumer version" of the Beo5 sofware.  The complexity of the programis as just as complex and detailed as you want the remote to be. 

As far as the training goes, you mention Beocademy which is not an option with Beo 5 yet. The traning that we have recieved is hands on with software and the remote with many hours of trial and error and customizing different needs for different customers that were given to us. 

Its a lil hard when you have to program each channe and you have to program each digit for each one plus "enter" or any other kind of button and command combinations. 

All I am saying is that if the customer decides not to program the Beo5 themselves when that is an option, dont be surprised when there is a programming fee for getting your beo 5 just the way you want it. Like I said, A consumer version of the sofware, simple and to the point would be great, it could also save the dealer time for very easy changes like you guys mention. 
    -Alex
  • 09-13-2007 7:02 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Thank you Alex, your points are well taken and I appreciate your thoughts.

Mike 

• 09-14-2007 1:54 AM In reply to

Realizing that I have to bring my  Beo5 to a dealer, whenever I want to make changes in the software is quite dissapointing. At the moment my Beo5 with it's basic settings has not more capabilities than a Beo4.
Page 5 of 12 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »