in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-19-2007 4:56 PM by Frank Rizzo. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-19-2007 12:29 PM

Confused [*-)] Beomaster 5500 & Penta 1 Speaker Best Hookup for Best Sound?

I just aquired a 5500 system with Penta 1 Speakers, and I'm wondering what is the best way to connect the speakers to the receiver. The three options are 1.) using the 4 pin Link cable (speakers display info), 2.) a pair of clip style terminals for bare wire 3.) line level RCA inputs. From my experience taking an amplified signal, as in the first two options, and amplifying it again at the speaker, is not the best method. The third option would bypass the amplification in the receiver and let the speakers do all the work, which sounds like the cleanest delivery to me. Also, it is not neccesary to me that the speakers display the source and volume on their LED display, infact it's a bit distracting. Lastly on this subject, with option #3 I can use some REALLY nice interconnects to connect the receiver (actually preamp in this case) with the speakers. I'm certain that my interconnects will sound far better then the stock Link speaker wire that came with them.

One other question I have is, how the heck do you remove the grills on the Penta speakers? I read here that the midrange drivers have foam surrounds, and I need to inspect them. The system was described as a 7 out of 10, but upon unpacking I found things were closer to a 5 or 6 out of 10. Everything sounds great so far, but I need to be certain everything is in working order.

Curtis

• 08-19-2007 12:49 PM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 5500 & Penta 1 Speaker Best Hookup for Best Sound?

Hi Curtis, i've got a similar situation. I completely agree with you to use the low level. But you can still get the displays to work...here's how..  Run 8 wire (MK II) Powerlink from your system to the Penta 1's.....(that's low level, with display info also)....THEN

Get the adaptor at the speaker from 8 wire Powerlinks to Speaker link and RCA's...

You're Penta I's will take the RCA input (low level in) for the sound and take the speaker link in for the data on the displays ..

Your dealer will have this cable...tell them your problem and it's a cheap fix..

Hope this helps..

• 08-19-2007 1:06 PM In reply to

Ok, but this makes me think there is some sort of input selector within the Penta 1 speakers. Why pay for all these adaptors and new cables, why not just run both the Link cables (mine are 4 pin?) and a pair of RCA's from pre-out to speakers RCA in? It sounds like the setup you mention does the same thing, or am I totally off base here? Maybe I just don't understand the "8 wire (MkII)" wire you speak of. I have to be honest, this is the first B&O gear I have EVER owned (ie: I'm a B&O Virgin, be gentle with me :)

• 08-19-2007 1:28 PM In reply to

Yep...Curtis, that will work just fine...and there is a switch on your pentas I's so you can do it just the way you said.... BUT...I don't think your unit has RCA low level outs....so you'll have to convert the Powerlink outs to Low level RCA outs at the uint to do it your way...

The only reason i did mine that way is, i'm installing all those cables in the walls....thus if you use Powerlink you can upgrade without ripping out the walls....

• 08-19-2007 3:13 PM In reply to

The Beomaster 5500 has a Pre-Out/Main-In jumper set for equalizer or surround processor Out/In (arrived without the aluminum "U" jumper, but using 4 WBT crimp style RCA's with Romex, sounds excellent, good old fasioned copper!), plus a Preamp L/R RCA pair (doesn't say In or Out though? Assuming they're Out's). So I think it has the In's and Out's I need. Before I start making cables and getting crazy though, is the RCA input on the bottom of the Penta 1 straight up and down (have to worry about floor clearance), angled, or horizontal? I know the clearance is low under the rear panel on the 5500, and the "Link" cables are right above the "Preamp" RCA's, but I have the units side by side in a covered sideboard, so you can't see the tops/backs. Just wondered if anyone knew before I start getting fingerprints all over my Penta's :)

Curtis

• 08-19-2007 3:40 PM In reply to

Hi Curtis, I just checked the manual on the site...yes, use the "pre amp" RCA's out to your Pentas I's..... the other "line" are not controlled by the volume, they are for an outboard equalizer.
  • 08-19-2007 4:39 PM In reply to

Ok, but will there be a conflict with the PowerLink DIN wires which deliver amplified signal and info for the LED Display? Sounds like a "Ground Loop" to me :) What I want to do is eliminate the work that the amplifier in the receiver has to do, but if I can continue to supply the LED info to the speakers I wouldn't mind it, I suppose?

Curtis

• 08-19-2007 4:56 PM In reply to

Curtis, the info to run the displays is found in the (Powerlink DIN) which is Low level.....it's also found in the Speaker link (Speaker 1 and 2) ....so you'll need the RCA's for the Low level and you ALSO need the Speaker link from Speaker 1 for the information.....on the displays.

In Speaker link you have Amplified level (speaker level) AND display information.

You may just want to use your Speaker link and just use the Amplified signal to start....it's the easiest and your Pentas have a switch so you can set it to take down the high level to low level...

BUT, don't worry about taxing your amp of your Beoimaster....as the load that your amp will see will be basically nothing and thus you'll still have all your watts free to drive other passive speakers if you want..

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)