in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-21-2007 8:20 AM by Crooner. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-18-2007 7:41 AM

PHOTO added! Fantastic work by Classic Audio in Struer! Beolab/Beomaster 5000

I've always wanted to own a Beolab/Beomaster 5000 system - goes back to my childhood in the late 60s when my father owned one.

Last year I surfed the net and came across Classic Audio in Struer, run by Frede Kristensen. I was later to find out that he's worked 25 years for B&O. He is a committed Beolab 5000 enthusiast, considering it one of the finest amplifiers made, and he has dedicated himself to restoring older units to "as new" condition. 
    He refurbishes the entire set - amplifier, tuner, Beovox 5000 and Beovox 2500 tweeters - should you want that. 
    I ordered a system from him last year.

He assembles new units using components from as many as three older sets. Once he has a good start-out platform, he then checks every single component, exchanging those who are not up to par. He also restores the fascia, dials, etc. (To the point of being able to have new fascia silk printed, when required).
    Once Frede is through assembling a unit, he puts it through 500 hours of tests and monitoring, before a final certification test where all components and output are calibrated to the initial factory specifications. During the rebuild process I could keep tabs on progress by accessing a web-page established for my specific unit, where test results, stages in the rebuild, etc., were documented.

I picked up my Beolab 5000 and Beomaster 5000 just after Easter. Frede Kristensen appreciates it if you are able to make a personal pick-up, though he will ship. Talk about B&O enthusiast's Nirvana. His workshop and listening room give you the impression you are dealing with a Swiss watchmaker working on Patek Philippes.
    When I entered his listening room, he had my system connected to Beovox 5000/2500 loudspeakers, and I was struck by the natural sound, perfectly weighted. I supplied him with one of my reference CDs, and had to admit that my initial plan of not using the loudspeaker set created for the system had to be rethought.

In a thread in the previous forum Peter indicated that the Beolab 5000 had an excellent bottom resolution to the sound. You're telling me! After listening to the unit at home I'm literally awestruck by the vocal sound from this amplifier. It has also made it painfully clear that my Beosystem 7000 amp needs to be recalibrated. The Beolab 5000 puts the 7000 to shame when connected to my speakers.
    Frede showed me a plastic bag containing the hundreds of components he had replaced when calibrating the Beolab 5000 - components that did not measure properly. Even given that the 7000 is younger I'm sure it would get up to snuff with a similar refurbishment.
    A McIntosh tube amp also got a run for its money by the Beolab 5000. I'm actually using the latter more now!

Frede Kristensen is in the process of refurbishing a dozen pairs of Beovox 2500 tweeters. He sends them off to have them professionally resprayed, with a new logo screen printed. Meanwhile he is restoring the small drivers, checking their parameters, preparing for final assembly. He'll do similar work with other B&O units, but has a penchant for the Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 set, with speakers.

It's always a pleasure to meet B&O enthusiasts, in this instance the pleasure is all mine whenever I switch on my completely as factory new system! And no, I do not get any kickbacks from Frede - just expressing the delight his dedication has brought into my life.

Here's a picture, shows the condition of the woodwork and fascia.

• 04-18-2007 7:50 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Re: Fantastic work by Classic Audio in Struer! Beolab/Beomaster 5000

Excellent you are obviously well pleased.

Looking forward to seeing the photosYes 

• 04-18-2007 8:19 AM In reply to

Sounds fantastic - you are a lucky man indeed!

A Beolab/Beomaster 5000 combination has been top of my wanted list for some time now and this has only encouraged me even more!

What speakers are you using then? I remember your old thread where you asked about more modern speakers - did you go for the Beovox 5000/cube combination in the end?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 04-18-2007 8:53 AM In reply to

I'm using two speaker combo's, switching: a pair of Dynaudio Focus 140, and also a pair of BL3s. Very good sound from both - though as Peter suspected in the thread you mention the BL3/Beolab 5000 match-up is a weird one.

Was very pleased with the sound of the Beovox 5000/2500 at Frede's, though. And now I'm thinking it would be nice to have a completely authentic set in my new house - it's pure art. (The tuner is also excellent - deep and true FM sound).

• 04-18-2007 9:15 AM In reply to

soundproof:
    I'm using two speaker combo's, switching: a pair of Dynaudio Focus 140, and also a pair of BL3s. Very good sound from both - though as Peter suspected in the thread you mention the BL3/Beolab 5000 match-up is a weird one.

Was very pleased with the sound of the Beovox 5000/2500 at Frede's, though. And now I'm thinking it would be nice to have a completely authentic set in my new house - it's pure art. (The tuner is also excellent - deep and true FM sound).

You're a lucky man indeed! I agree that the complete Beosytem is pure art - one of JJ's finest IMO.

The space I have planned for the Beolab & Beomaster (should I get them) means that they would be next to a wall where I could easily connect them to a pair of Beovox 3000 panel speakers. I wonder what this very interesting combination would sound like? I bet it would be almost unique in terms of anyone else having a similar set up!

• 04-18-2007 9:28 AM In reply to

Frede Kristensen actually suggested I should use two Beovox 3000 when I was worried that the Beovox 5000 would be too large. The Beovox 3000 was used as the center speaker for those who wanted that (a special feature of the Beolab 5000).

• 04-18-2007 9:47 AM In reply to

soundproof:
    Frede Kristensen actually suggested I should use two Beovox 3000 when I was worried that the Beovox 5000 would be too large. The Beovox 3000 was used as the center speaker for those who wanted that (a special feature of the Beolab 5000).

Ah. I meant the Beovox 3000 panel speaker (type 6716 from 1989-91). I thought this would be unusual because of the age and styling differences between the two. Some people may need convincing, but I am sure that they would look fantastic in the room where I would like to place them :)

• 04-18-2007 11:02 AM In reply to

All I have heard about Frede indicates that he is a true professional. I considered having mine done by him but the thought of shipping my units put me off - probably wrongly. The Beolab 5000 system is superb - I do prefer newer speakers though - it sounded wonderful with my LS3/5As and AB1s. Lots of effortless power and detail. The Beolab 5000 has a very clever design in that the two channels are out of phase and therefore the draw on the transformer would appear better balanced which seems to give them more headroom and hence the effortless power delivery. Only drawback is the lack of headphone socket.

I am less convinced about the Beovox 5000s. I think speaker design has advanced more than amplifiers. But they do sound good together. All you need is the Beogram 3000 to go with it - or as I have,one of each 3000!Laughing

• 04-18-2007 11:34 AM In reply to

He did stupendous work with the Beolab 5000. Very pleased.
    I agree with you concerning the age of the Beovox 5000. Things have moved on - yet there's something to the authenticity of having the whole set ...
    His speakers were also rebuilt and recalibrated - which probably added to the impression of the sound.

Combining with the flat panel 3000s would probably look very good. I'm all for mixing -- will be using my Beosystem 7000 together with a pair of Beolab 5s (using the digital out from the Beogram CD straight to the BL5s).

And kind of like the wild combination of BL3 with Beolab/Beomaster 5000 -- though I must confess that I think the Dynaudios are better suited, given they are passive speakers, with a sensitivity that seems just right for the Beolab 5000. (They also have a surprisingly exact and punchy lower end, relative to their size).

• 04-18-2007 11:42 AM In reply to

soundproof:
    He did stupendous work with the Beolab 5000. Very pleased.
    I agree with you concerning the age of the Beovox 5000. Things have moved on - yet there's something to the authenticity of having the whole set ...
    His speakers were also rebuilt and recalibrated - which probably added to the impression of the sound.

Combining with the flat panel 3000s would probably look very good. I'm all for mixing -- will be using my Beosystem 7000 together with a pair of Beolab 5s (using the digital out from the Beogram CD straight to the BL5s).

And kind of like the wild combination of BL3 with Beolab/Beomaster 5000 -- though I must confess that I think the Dynaudios are better suited, given they are static speakers, with a sensitivity that seems just right for the Beolab 5000. (They also have a surprisingly exact and punchy lower end, relative to their size).

I like the sound of the BL3 and Beolab/Beomaster 5000. I'm all for mixing and matching. My living room set up is a Beomaster 8000, Beogram 4002, and Beogram CDX all running through a pair of Beovox Pentas. It's great to think that only the Pentas and the CDX were contemporaneous in the B&O catalogue, yet the whole set up comes together so nicely!

• 04-18-2007 11:44 AM In reply to

Black BL3s look as if they were designed for standing next to a Beocenter 9500. Quite timeless, these pieces ...

I think the aluminium on the flat panel 3000s will match well with the metal fascia of the Beolab/Beomaster 5000. I might have wanted to change the cloth to black, to match the black painted sides of the system ... I haven't looked at the spec's for the flat panels, and have no idea how it would sound.

• 04-18-2007 2:20 PM In reply to

I don't mind mix and matching - I use a Beogram 4004 with a Beomaster 5500/CX100/PC2/BL3 (I know - complicated!!) but I would not use active speakers with the Beolab 5000 amplifier - rather removes the point!

• 04-18-2007 2:30 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

If he is such a perfectionist, and loves B&O this much - we ought to place him on the links page. There are no other B&O restroation companies on there!

Lee 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 04-18-2007 2:32 PM In reply to

Why not see if he would let the visiting Beoworld team meet him when they go to Struer? I certainly would love to see what he does when I next go back!
  • 04-18-2007 3:05 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Lee, How many are going for a meal on the Monday eve? If too many, don't want to swamp his workshop. It's on the same island as B&O are taking us.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-18-2007 3:06 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I doubt he would have room for this kind of numbers!! Poor bloke would have a heart attack!

Lee 

• 04-18-2007 3:07 PM In reply to

To Peter's comment that using active speakers with a classic amp defeats the purpose. (I love the British understatement: defeats the purpose!)

Yes, agree. It's just fun to try things out, hoping one doesn't blow a fuse or circuit in the process. Passive speakers are best with the Beolab 5000.

(Edit: To make it absolutely clear, I do not recommend using active speakers with an amp such as the Beolab 5000, since the unit's amplified output would then get reprocessed by the amp's in the BL3. And as Peter says, that would defeat the purpose of having active speakers. But it's fun to mess around - and I am pleased by how neutral the BL3s are, compared to what I hear when connected to the passive speakers).

I do believe Beoworlders will find Frede a valuable resource should they wish to resuscitate their classics - absolutely worth linking to Classic Audio.

www.classic-audio.dk

Though he did tell me he was very busy - so patience is called for. :-)

• 04-18-2007 3:08 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

9 LEE:

If he is such a perfectionist, and loves B&O this much - we ought to place him on the links page. There are no other B&O restroation companies on there!

Lee 

You don't appear to be taking full advantage of the spell checker in your mac browserLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-19-2007 1:45 PM In reply to

Traditional Straight on View

Excellent work by Frede Kristensen of Classic Audio. The traditional straight on view. See first post for another view.
    Check out the simply flawless fascia!

• 04-19-2007 1:59 PM In reply to

Beautiful!

• 04-19-2007 1:59 PM In reply to

what a wonderful posting! i enjoy reading it.
  • 04-19-2007 2:02 PM In reply to

@J0Hnbarker

Hard to resist now, isn't it?

:-)

• 04-19-2007 2:41 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

soundproof:

I've tried to post an image, but the function here won't let me do it from either Safari or Firefox.
    Enter this URL into your browser:

Excellent work by Frede Kristensen. Chose this angle, to let you see the sides and top, usually not shown in photos. 
    Check out the simply flawless fascia!

Hi,

great photo.

If you can reduce the size (about 314x209) and then put in:

ok this is a bit cryptic because the software recognises it as a linkGeeked

type IMG surounded by [  ] at the beginning then your link and /IMG surounded by [  ] 

"> ">http://www.best-norsk.no/storage/Beolab5000ca.jpg ">[/IMG]

It should work.Yes 

• 04-19-2007 3:03 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

That is an amazing piece of work. Enjoy, which I am sure you will.Wink

CraigBig Smile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-19-2007 3:25 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Puncher:
    9 LEE:

Lee 

You don't appear to be taking full advantage of the spell checker in your mac browserLaughing

Huh?

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >