in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-31-2012 3:40 AM by ari. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-26-2011 4:53 PM

Twonky Media Server + Beosound 5 Encore

Hi All,

Merry Christmas!

I wonder if anyone can help me.....I cant get my Beosound 5 Encore to see my NAS (running Twonky server). It is a QNAP TS-419 P + and Twonky came with it. Everything looks like its setup ok. I can browse Twonky through Internet Explorer. The Beosound connects to Radio stations fine and has an IP address in the right subnet. Upnp is enabled on the router and NAS. The permissions appear ok on the media folders on the NAS and I can see them in windows explorer. I dont suppose anyone out there might have any suggestions? I think there is a way to test Upnp from Windows Media player (WMP) but I cant see the NAS in WMP (unless I map a drive to the NAS from Windows).

Any help very much appreciated..Im starting to pull my hair out!

SB

• 12-27-2011 2:54 AM In reply to

Re: Twonky Media Server + Beosound 5 Encore

Hi,

Starting with the most obvious question: are your music files in a format that can be played on the Encore? If not, I don't think anything will be found by the Encore, even if the files are physically there.

This happened to me on my Loewe TV with Twonky, my music files are ALAC & WMA Lossless, and nothing could be found. Only MP3s..Sad

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 12-27-2011 3:04 AM In reply to

Choose:

1. Mode

2. Settings

3. press >> twice than GO (>>, >> GO)

4. Service Settings

5. Music Storage

6. select the given name of the Twonky-server

• 01-11-2012 3:50 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies.

The media files are simply mp3. Upnp is enabled on the router and Twonky is running.

The Beosound cannot see any storage devices in the service settings (tried that already Im afraid).

Everything is on the same subnet....

• 01-12-2012 6:19 AM In reply to

The plot thickens. My play station can see the Twonkyserver and everything works with it but still my Beosound cannot see the Twonkyserver. I install Twonkyserver on my laptop and the Beosound can see it no problem.....

• 01-15-2012 1:18 PM In reply to

Anyone out there got any suggestions? I've factory reset both devices and re-setup the QNAP and Beosound. Everything looks fine but the Beosound just keeps showing none|none in the storage submenu in service settings. I can ping everything. This is really starting to grind now.

I have Twonky tray running and it find the QNAP no bother!

• 01-15-2012 2:38 PM In reply to

How do you have the NAS and the BS5e connected? Wired or wireless? Are they connected? 

• 01-15-2012 4:02 PM In reply to

Thanks alot for the reply :) They are on the same switch and both plugged in via ethernet. At the moment both the QNAP and my Beosound are being assigned addresses by DHCP to rule out any DNS or IP addressing insonsitsency I could have made assiging manually. Just installed BubbleUPnP on to my Android handset and it can see the Twonky server too. I thought it might be a share permission issue once I found out that the Beosound wont find the Twonkyserver unless there are files for it to 'see'. However, there have always been files for it to 'see' as I added a few as soon as the QNAP was up with Twonky Server running on it. I just dont get it. Im almost at the stage of sending the Beosound back to see if there is something wrong with it. Im running the latest firmware on the QNAP and Beosound. Its doing my head in.

• 01-15-2012 4:24 PM In reply to

in a browser try: <ip_address_of_the_QNap>:9000

if Twonky sees the music files, you will see: Music. Select this and see for yourself if the Twonky server has collected the files.

To adjust the Twonky settings try: <ip_address_of_the_QNap>:9000/config.

Just to be sure: which format do the music files have?

• 01-16-2012 5:11 AM In reply to

The Twonkyserver sees the Music files no problem. The config pages work fine. What I had thought was that perhaps the QNAP security was blocking the Twonkyserver somehow but it would seem not since I can see the Twonkyserver from other devices. I am going to call Bang and Olufsen now. :( Thanks again!

• 01-24-2012 4:03 PM In reply to

B and O have been a great help via a really nice chap in London from Polaris Networks. We have rebuilt the entire QNAP from the bottom up. Testing it using UPnP with Foobar2000, PS3 and all can see Twonkyserver except Beosound. I'll post up anything I find in case it helps others if / when we fix it. Currently in Denmarks corner....

• 01-25-2012 4:42 AM In reply to

• ari
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2012
    • South Africa
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

Firewall disabled on the Twonky server machine?

Reboot the BS5 Encore, sometimes it doesn't pick it up.

I just got mine working this way yesterday with TwonkyMedia Server.

Try this: Install Twonky server on your laptop, plug ethernet directly into laptop from BS5e.

Disable firewall on laptop.

Assign IP manually to both machines, setting default gateway and primary DNS as the server IP (laptop IP).

Then reboot the BS5e, go to service settings and see if it can pick it up.

Then at least you can rule out the idea of the BS5e being the problem.

• 01-25-2012 5:27 AM In reply to

Thanks Ari! The QNAP does not have a friewall on it. I have checked that port 1900 is open on the QNAP and it is. If I install Twonkyserver on to my laptop the BS5 encore sees it straight away. It has been rebooted and factory defaulted numerous times but will do it after each reconfig of QNAP if thats the case.

I'll try manually assigning DNS to server ip etc. as this is a possibility which I havent tried.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

• 01-25-2012 5:59 AM In reply to

• ari
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2012
    • South Africa
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

Sorry , I only saw now that you already mentioned the BS5e sees the Laptop Twonky server! No harm done though.

Yes, try setting the primary DNS to the server IP and see if that helps. Some extra guidance for the BS5 ;)

• 01-30-2012 2:13 PM In reply to

Just got a loan beosound and it doesnt see it either so have ruled that out. I dont know what the Beosound is looking for but my QNAP isnt giving it. Twonky dont supoort NAS installs so back to QNAP I guess.

sb

• 01-30-2012 3:40 PM In reply to

• ari
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2012
    • South Africa
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

Are you running the latest firmwares/updates on the QNAP?

• 01-30-2012 4:08 PM In reply to

I was but then QNAP suggested rolling it back to a previous Firmware. I did this but it still didnt help. A technician engaged by Bang & Olufsen then tried a very old firmware version and it killed the QNAP. I then put the original firmware back on to it and have run the upgrade since. It still cant be found by the beosound. Unbelievable really. I keep thinking Im  missing sommething simple but the B&O guy was very tech and said he couldnt work it out. Just got the loan unit from B&O tonight but no joy. 

• 01-30-2012 4:25 PM In reply to

• ari
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2012
    • South Africa
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

What about the ethernet cable from BS5 -> Switch? Could it be that by any chance?

It's pointing towards the QNAP, but I would try another cable too if possible.

I am running Twonky on a Windows machine and it works great!

• 01-30-2012 5:36 PM In reply to

I plugged in a loan Beosound on a different Ethernet cable with a different power supply tonight (it just arrived from B&O) and it also doesnt work. I have Twonky running on my laptop as a trial and it works fine with the Beosound. It is the QNAP I am now sure of it but nobody seems to know why. It is so, so frustrating. I have had a Beosound for 2 months and havent streamed a song from my NAS. Im so hacked off. Christmas and Chinese New Year havent helped with getting support of course. B&O have been very helpful that said. More than QNAP!

• 01-30-2012 5:37 PM In reply to

Thanks by the way Ari! Your ideas and support are appreciated. Think I need a linux guru!

• 01-30-2012 5:40 PM In reply to

• ari
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2012
    • South Africa
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

No prob :) I'd like to think that's what the forum is here for! I would like to expect to get the same support from members when I am having issues too, so I have no problem helping out/advising where I can :)

Ok well at least we pretty much know it's the QNAP now.. now what to do hmm..

P.S. It couldn't be firewall built into the switch could it? Did you try connect the NAS directly to the Beosound and try like that?

• 01-30-2012 6:07 PM In reply to

Well thanks! :) I havent tried it directly wired to the NAS. I think that would mean each device would get a 169.254.100.X address. I have all machines on the same switch. The Beosound can see my laptop install of Twonky and my laptop can see the QNAP. My QNAP can see my mobile phone and Playstation and there is no firewall on router so I ruled out it being an issue with the NAS 'seeing' the Beosound.

It will be tricky to troubleshoot anything to do with the QNAP with it plugged directly in to the Beosound but Im up for anything and its worth a try to see if anything good happens......

• 01-30-2012 6:21 PM In reply to

Im afraid all that does is makes the Beosound grey out the Media storage option and say it has no network connection in network info.

• 01-31-2012 3:40 AM In reply to

• ari
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2012
    • South Africa
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

Ok try this for me:

- Plug NAS directly into BeoSound 5e via ethernet.

On the NAS:

- Set a static IPv4 for the network card - e.g. 192.168.2.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: <Blank>

Then set primary DNS as 192.168.2.1 (or whatever IP you chose above), and leave secondary DNS blank.

On the BS5e:

- Go to network settings

- Disable DHCP

- Set network manually

- Set the IP to an increment of the ip above. so e.g. 192.168.2.2

- Set default gateway to the IP of the NAS - e.g. 192.168.2.1

- Set primary DNS to the IP of the NAS 192.168.2.1

- Reboot BS5e (now might be a good time to reboot your NAS too to rule out any possible problems)

- Move slider to MODE. The highlight settings,  press > > (twice) and then press GO to enter into settings.

- Move the slider to Service Settings, Music Storage, and see if it picks up your NAS.

- Also check Network info in settings to see if it is connecting successfully. And on the NAS make sure to allow any connections should it ask/allow it through firewall.

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)