in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-22-2011 12:18 PM by stefan. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-20-2011 12:17 PM

• lauge
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-20-2011
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Connecting an old Beogram5500 to modern speakers

Hi everyone.

I have a problem that I simply can't find a solution to anywhere. I have an old Beomaster 5500 and a Beogram 5500 (records), which I have been using for some time. However, in my setup the Beomaster seems quite redundant. It handles the audio input from the Beogram, only to forward it on to my speakers through the frontfacing 3.5 mm audio sockets.

I would like to remove the Beomaster altogether and simply connect the Beogram directly to the speakers, since they already contain amplifiers.

I'm guessing I need a converter that can convert a male 7-pin DIN connector to a 3.5 male jack, but I'm not able to find such a connector anywhere.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm no sound expert, so please tell if there is something I'm missing, or if there is a better solution. However, if anyone know where I can get such a converter, please let me know.

Merry Christmas from Denmark,

Lauge

• 12-20-2011 12:53 PM In reply to

Re: Connecting an old Beogram5500 to modern speakers

lauge:
    I'm guessing I need a converter that can convert a male 7-pin DIN connector to a 3.5 male jack, but I'm not able to find such a connector anywhere.

You are correct in a way, but the 5500 does not give a line signal as it has no RIAA preamp built in, this RIAA preamp is in the beomaster. An external one is available from lifestyle AV:

http://lifestyle-av.co.uk/details.asp?sectionId=4&productId=7094

With this you should be good to go!

• 12-22-2011 11:46 AM In reply to

It seems that you are connecting your active speakers via the headphone socket of the Beomaster?This works obviously,although unorthodox.This means that the Beomaster is amplifying the signal from the Beogram,and you can control the volume.If you connect the Beogram directly to the speakers,you will lose control of volume and remote control of the Beogram.I would leave it as it is!

• 12-22-2011 12:18 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

You can replace the BM5500 with an MCL 2AV. It works like an audiomaster. You connect your BG5500 - you will still need a RIAA - to the PHONO input and the Beolabs to the Powerlink outputs. Remote control is also possible via the connected IR eye. You can even connect additional devices. The MCL 2 AV got three inputs.

God Jul

Stefan

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)