in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-30-2011 10:07 AM by Keith Saunders. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-15-2011 7:52 AM

Samsung Blu-ray and Beo5

Hi guys.

This is my first post on this forum.

I'm thinking of buying a Beo5 or Beo6 to be able to control set-top box, dvd. etc.

I have found this Samsung BD-D6900M  http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players/BD-D6900M/XU/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

The nice thing about this box, is that it contains both a Blu-ray player, DVB-C tuner, and a USB connector (more or less anything I need).

I have played a bit around with the B&O configuration tool, and it doesn't seem that complex.

Does anybody know, if the TV(BV 8-32) and the remote supports this box?

All the best

Niels

• 08-15-2011 10:47 AM In reply to

Re: Samsung Blu-ray and Beo5

I have that very same Samsung blu-ray player and can definitely recommend it. It has dual hdmi ouputs so it can output 3D on a 3D screen while sending the audio to a BeoSystem 3. This player can play just about anything you throw at it in terms of video or audio files using filed burned to a DVD, filed on a USB stick, or even an external hard drive connected via the USB port. It also has just about every smart tv app you can think of: YouTube, Facebook, Pandora, Netflix, etc. Also, it has wifi built-in.

I was able to control everything perfectly using the generic Samsung blu-ray controller in my BeoSystem 3 PUC. Pushing the "green" button switches from menu navigation mode to transport mode for fast-forward, rewind, etc. One problem I've find with the generic Samsung blu-ray template on the Beo5 (for use with the B&O PUC; not the direct IR control from the Beo5 to the Samsung BD) is that the green and red buttons do not respond on the first page on the Beo5 menu. Rather, you have to go to the second page of the Beo5 menu to get the green and red buttons to respond. This SHOULD be correctable via editing of the Beo5 programming but I haven't fiigured it out.

• 08-15-2011 11:55 AM In reply to

What a great suprice!

Do you know how to figure out if my BeoVision 8-32 has that generic Samsung blu-ray template in it's PUC, like yout BeoSystem 3 has? It's a bit older you know.

Hope that you will be able to help!

All the best

Niels

• 08-15-2011 1:14 PM In reply to

If it's similar to the BeoSystem 3, you probably need to go into the "menu" settings (perhaps pressing "menu" twice?) to see the setup of your connected devices. In that menu system, you can see what devices are available to you in the PUC. The PUC items depend entirely on what your dealer programmed for you based on the needs you discussed. For my BeoSystem 3, I planned ahead by having my dealer program quite a few brands of blu-ray players and tvs into the PUC just in case I would ever need them. Chances are that your dealer probably only programmed into the PUC would you said you would need. Your dealer can always program more devices into your PUC...usually for a fee, though.

BTW, this blu-ray player has a brushed aluminum top that fits in really well with the B&O look. The front panel is touch-sensitive, and it has a slot-loading disc feature instead of a disc tray. With the dual HDMI, you could probably add an external tv for 3D viewing. The prices have come down considerably so that they are quite inexpensive. I recently got a 64" Samsung 3D screen for $2400 USD. This blu-ray player has an option in the settings to send the video signal through both HDMI outputs as well so you could receive the video signal through both your BV 8 and an external screen. However, if you're not planning on using it for 3D, there are much cheaper Samsung blu-ray players out there that do the same thing. There is one that is very thin, brushed aluminum, and wall-mountable, but it does not have the dual HDMI outputs.

• 08-15-2011 1:26 PM In reply to

Correction: The unit you're looking at only has one HDMI output. That unit looks just like mine with the brushed aluminum top but yours only has one HDMI ouput instead of two. It's the Samsung BD-D6700 that has the dual HDMI output.

• 08-15-2011 2:26 PM In reply to

Thank you so much for your help.

I just checked the PUC list, and there were only 4 items in it. Unfortunately they were all were old and unusable.

Is there any way to load in new PUC's?

• 08-15-2011 5:33 PM In reply to

Sadly, this is something you'll need your dealer to do for you. I would recommend having your dealer load extra items for your PUC just in case you might need them later. For example, Apple Remote (for Apple TV), Sony PlayStation 3 (which is also a great blu-ray player), Generic Samsung Blu-Ray, Generic Sony Blu-Ray, etc. Sony and Samsung are pretty reliable about re-using the same codes in their products.

• 08-16-2011 9:39 AM In reply to

Do you think that the Beo5 will be able to control the Blu-ray player directly? or does it have to go through the TV?

• 08-17-2011 3:13 AM In reply to

beojeff:
    One problem I've find with the generic Samsung blu-ray template on the Beo5 (for use with the B&O PUC; not the direct IR control from the Beo5 to the Samsung BD) is that the green and red buttons do not respond on the first page on the Beo5 menu. Rather, you have to go to the second page of the Beo5 menu to get the green and red buttons to respond. This SHOULD be correctable via editing of the Beo5 programming but I haven't fiigured it out.

There have actually been four versions of the Samsung Generic PUC file (G-BDPXXX) created by B&O on the following dates:-

• 15th August 2008
    • 15th December 2009
    • 20th April 2010
    • 10th May 2010  -- Current Version 2,10a

I don't know when you had your PUC updated, but if it was not in the last year, then you may have an earlier version

Regards Keith....

• 08-17-2011 3:14 AM In reply to

nkbitsch:

Do you think that the Beo5 will be able to control the Blu-ray player directly? or does it have to go through the TV?

The Samsung Blu-Ray Player CAN be controlled DIRECTLY provided you have an associated XML control file.

Regards Keith....

• 08-17-2011 5:34 AM In reply to

You can download a Generic Samsung Blu_Player XML for DIRECT control from HERE

Let me know how well it works..

Regards Keith....

• 08-17-2011 6:14 AM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

beojeff:
    One problem I've find with the generic Samsung blu-ray template on the Beo5 (for use with the B&O PUC; not the direct IR control from the Beo5 to the Samsung BD) is that the green and red buttons do not respond on the first page on the Beo5 menu. Rather, you have to go to the second page of the Beo5 menu to get the green and red buttons to respond. This SHOULD be correctable via editing of the Beo5 programming but I haven't fiigured it out.

There have actually been four versions of the Samsung Generic PUC file (G-BDPXXX) created by B&O on the following dates:-

• 15th August 2008
    • 15th December 2009
    • 20th April 2010
    • 10th May 2010  -- Current Version 2,10a

I don't know when you had your PUC updated, but if it was not in the last year, then you may have an earlier version

Keith,

The PUC is about 2 years old. However, this would seem to be a problem with the template on the Beo5 configuration program, of which I used the latest version. There is no logical reason why the hard buttons should not respond on the first page but do when moving to the second page of the Samsung blu-ray screen on the Beo5. I don't have this problem when using the Beo4.

• 08-17-2011 6:23 AM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

You can download a Generic Samsung Blu_Player XML for DIRECT control from HERE

Let me know how well it works..

Dear Keith.

Thank you so much. I will try this out as soon as possible.

If I works, can I then share it with other people having the same issue? of cause I will credit you.

All the best

Niels

• 08-17-2011 6:58 AM In reply to

beojeff:

The PUC is about 2 years old. However, this would seem to be a problem with the template on the Beo5 configuration program, of which I used the latest version. There is no logical reason why the hard buttons should not respond on the first page but do when moving to the second page of the Samsung blu-ray screen on the Beo5. I don't have this problem when using the Beo4.

I fully understand your comment, however, remember that the Configuration Tool is intended for Dealers who also get updates for their Service Tool. These updates are released in sync with each other. In other words, when a change is made to a PUC file which also requires a change to the associated XML file used by the Configuration table, then there is no problem. However, if these are not in sync, you may well have a problem.

When some members have received a copy of the B&O Configuration Tool it includes the PUC associated XML files at that time. Dealers will receive regular updates from B&O directly loaded into the Tool automatically when they open teh Tool, whereas everyone else will not.

I can tell you that almost all the PUC associated XML files for Samsung DVD related products were last updated by B&O on 2nd August 2011

Regards Keith....

• 08-17-2011 7:19 AM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

beojeff:

I fully understand your comment, however, remember that the Configuration Tool is intended for Dealers who also get updates for their Service Tool. These updates are released in sync with each other. In other words, when a change is made to a PUC file which also requires a change to the associated XML file used by the Configuration table, then there is no problem. However, if these are not in sync, you may well have a problem.

When some members have received a copy of the B&O Configuration Tool it includes the PUC associated XML files at that time. Dealers will receive regular updates from B&O directly loaded into the Tool automatically when they open teh Tool, whereas everyone else will not.

I can tell you that almost all the PUC associated XML files for Samsung DVD related products were last updated by B&O on 2nd August 2011

Thanks, Keith.

I'm finding that I'm having the same problem using the color hard buttons on the Beo5 with other templates as well. For example, my cable box does not respond to the color buttons unless I move to the second screen (moving right or left off of the main screen) on the Beo5. The color buttons work from my Beo4 without any problem. Any suggestions?

• 08-24-2011 8:12 AM In reply to

Hi Keith.

I finally received my Beo5, and I cant wait to try out your Samsung template.

But I have a question. Since my Samsung blu-ray player also works as my TV receiver, is it then possible to have the tv channel logos on the samsung page on the Beo5?

All the best

Niels

• 08-24-2011 10:06 AM In reply to

Hi Keith.

I just downloaded your samsung xml to the Beo5.

If i press any button in the Samsung BLU-RAY Generic menu on the Beo5, the Beo5 starts to hang, and i have to press the physical "off" button to stop the hang.

Do you have any ideas of whats going on?

• 08-24-2011 10:41 AM In reply to

nkbitsch:

But I have a question. Since my Samsung blu-ray player also works as my TV receiver, is it then possible to have the tv channel logos on the samsung page on the Beo5?

It certainly is possible and desirable..

Regards Keith....

• 08-24-2011 10:43 AM In reply to

nkbitsch:

If i press any button in the Samsung BLU-RAY Generic menu on the Beo5, the Beo5 starts to hang, and i have to press the physical "off" button to stop the hang.

That sounds like you have an old version of firmware in your Beo5. What version of Configuration Tool are you using ?

Regards Keith....

• 08-24-2011 10:46 AM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

nkbitsch:

That sounds like you have an old version of firmware in your Beo5. What version of Configuration Tool are you using ?

I'm using the CT 4.11. I dont know about the firmware in the Beo5. How do i update it? The remote works fine with the BeoVision-8 though. 

• 08-24-2011 11:53 AM In reply to

the firmware is 1.45a

• 08-24-2011 12:02 PM In reply to

OK, so that is not the problem.. I will need to re-test this XML file and get back to you.

I am currently travelling, so I will not be able to look at this until Friday evening when I get home.

Regards Keith....

• 08-24-2011 12:13 PM In reply to

It sounds nice :) - I wish that I had time for some traveling.

Could it be something with that all of your commands begins with: UNKNOWN:GlobalManual ?

• 08-25-2011 3:57 AM In reply to

nkbitsch:

Could it be something with that all of your commands begins with: UNKNOWN:GlobalManual ?

No, that is fine, UNKNOWN is used where the protocol is not directly implemented in the firmware.

The normal reason for this type of problem is where you have RAW encoding and also enable REPEAT for that command

Regards Keith....

• 08-25-2011 4:23 AM In reply to

Okay :).

Is there anything I can try myself to fix the problem, or do you think it's the entire code that needs to be re written?

All the  best

Niels

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >