in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-27-2011 12:08 PM by Stan. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2011 2:36 PM

• azalia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-25-2011
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Help in set-up please!

Hi, I have what should be a pretty simple system but I want to make some changes.

Setup:

Beosound 5 (Audio Master, option 0) and Beolab 6000 speakers in living room

Samsung TV connected to the Beosound and playing through the “PC” function on the Beo 4 remote

Beolab 3500 in the bedroom

I am not satisfied with the TV sound quality coming through the system (strange, but it’s actually hard to understand what is being said on TV sometimes).

As a result of this setup I cannot control the Beosound volume on the display.

Now I would like to disconnect the TV, regain full functionality on the Beosound 5 (volume control) and not change the way the Beolab 3500 works.

What option settings should I use in the Audio Master setup on Beosound 5? I can’t find instructions on how to do this anywhere. What do the different options do? How do they affect my system?

Thank you!

Alex

• 06-25-2011 3:11 PM In reply to

Re: Help in set-up please!

To understand option setting I'll run through the settings:

Option 0 - no IR reception

Option 1 - this is used when you want to control the item via its own IR

Option 2 - this allows you to control both audio and video via one IR

Option 4 - a device set to this will need the command LINK used before each command - useful if two similar devices in same room or within IR range.

Option 5 - used if TV and audio device in link room

Option 6 - one decice in link room.

What are you going to do for a TV. Obviously you can set the BS5 to option 1 and it will work as you wish.

• 06-25-2011 3:31 PM In reply to

• azalia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-25-2011
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Peter. 

I don’t know what to do about the TV. It surprises me that spoken word / voices are clearer through the Samsung TV speakers than through the Beo system.

I suppose it’s got to do with the way the TV sound is set up for voices maybe? Or maybe a subwoofer would make the difference?

Overall I’m disappointed after the money spent.

• 06-25-2011 5:24 PM In reply to

I have a suspicion that the problem will be the level of signal coming from the TV. B&O sets are designed to integrate with B&O audio systems but clearly this is not the case with the Samsung. Which output are you using? I don't think a sub-woofer is worth it until the rest is working properly. The sound from the TV should be the same standard as the normal audio sound.

• 06-26-2011 2:21 AM In reply to

• azalia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-25-2011
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter, its a digital output. Maybe better to connect to the satellite decoder instead (uk sky tv)....

• 06-26-2011 4:56 AM In reply to

Hi Alex,

just one question regarding your connection to the Samsung TV. Are you able to use the Photo and Web options from the BS5 Menu at your television?

Unfortunatly with my Pioneer TV it isn't working. I get the menu on the screen, but I can't choose the both menu points (photo and web).

Thanks

Kai

• 06-27-2011 12:08 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

azalia:

Hi Peter, its a digital output. Maybe better to connect to the satellite decoder instead (uk sky tv)....

I'm with Peter on it being an issue with the sound going into the Active vs. any issues in the B&O side - I had a similar setup for a couple years (even programmed by Beo5 to control my non-Beo TV) - and it worked fine.  My TV had a fixed analog output which input to the PC port of the Active.  The only bother was that I had to turn the Active way up to hear vs. listening to B&O sources (so if I wasn't careful when I switched sources, I might get blasted).  This TV died an early death so I upgraded to a BV8-40 last year.

Since the PC port of the Active doesn't take digital input, what are you using to convert this to analog for input to the Active?.  Perhaps you're only getting the L/R signal from a surround sound signal with no center-channel blended in - this would make it hard to hear people's voices.

Also, if you're getting any sound from the PC input on the Active, then the option setting on the BS doesn't matter.  The PC audio input is processed locally to the Active.  That is, sound goes in the PC port, and out the PL port and never goes to the ML so option settings cannot really influence it.

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)