in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2012 7:24 PM by Eugene. 523 replies.
Page 5 of 21 (524 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-28-2011 3:48 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Re: What Are You Working On Now ?

Agent00soul:

I think I'll have a look at the Beocord in the meantime. It has a stuck cassette in it. Maybe a belt too?

Almost surely. If you open it up and turn the mechanism by hand you should be able to free the tape. Don't try to force the tape out, it will just bend the tape guides and make it a lot worse.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 01-28-2011 4:52 PM In reply to

lausvi:

Almost surely. If you open it up and turn the mechanism by hand you should be able to free the tape. Don't try to force the tape out, it will just bend the tape guides and make it a lot worse.

Well, unfortunately the tape prevented the control panel (and the rest) from coming off. But I unscrewed the top half of the cassette and managed to remove that. Then I could push the tape head assembly in and remove the rest of the cassette.
    After removing the control panel and the front panel, I could remove the tape mechanism for inspection. This is really a service-friendly unit! Much nicer to work with than the CD50.
    The belts are in place but I suppose tha flat belt is too loose and slips. There is a metal shaft to the right of the uptake spool that rotates, but the flywheel does not rotate. Clicks are heard when pressing some of the transport buttons and the display works. The drawer motor works too. I suppose replacing the belts will be the first thing to do.

• 01-28-2011 5:29 PM In reply to

Paid $27 USD for this one. Once I got The top chassis off it was obvious that I was probably the first person since it left the factory to look inside.

First check was stand by current which was at 5.3 VDC so I trmmed it back to 5.02, then started to have a look at the no load cuurent values. The right channel started climbing up past the 20 mv range and into the 30= mv range when I shut it down. The left channel steadied out around 17 mv.

Replaced both trimmer and voila - it work fine and still sounds good. I can also still see !!!!! Listened to it for a couple hours this morning.

• 01-29-2011 4:07 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

If a tape is stuck in the Beocord 5000 tower series, leave it there (don't force anything) but:

- Open the tape drawer and let it reach out over the edge of a table or similar.
    - By inserting a finger into the square hole underneath the tapedeck mechanical section you'll be able to reach the edge of the large grey flywheel. Gently rotate the flywheel counter-clockwise as seen from above (that'll mean pushing the reachable edge of the flywheel towards the front of the Beocord), can be time-consuming since only small movements are possible.
    - Rotate the flywheel until a mechanical click is heard and then further about 1 turn.
    - Take out the tape and push in the drawer.

I can supply new belts for both the tape section and the motorized drawer.

Martin

• 02-01-2011 5:21 AM In reply to

Picked this set up fro m a customer over the weekend. He had been storing it outdoors in a shed for the past couple of years. Didnt work but I couldnt turn down the offer based on the price - FREE.

The turntable after about 45 minutes of some serious scrubbing inside and out. Filthy dirty mess. Biggest problem with this deck was the stylus pressure was at 1.0 gram when it should have been at around 1.5,

playing fine plugged into the Beomaster 5000 I fixed last Friday morning.

The Beocord has truoble opening and need assistance, wont close without assistance. It will start to play a tape for a few seconds but then the heads disengage and the Beocord goes back into standby. Belts are obviously should be replaced but I wonder about the fault. I can hear the music for a second or 2 and then the unit goes into standby. Datalink functions seem to work fine but the plug end is a bit mangled up.

Doesnt work. Measured 5.25 VDC in standby - not too bad but off a bit The standby current on the right channel was over 120 mv DC and the left channel was in the upper 30's.

So I performed some trimpot surgery and got the receiver running again - checking and rechecking the idle current and standby voltages.

but then I decided to go ahead and perform a complete recap - so I did.

Had to readjust the voltages after the recap. They actully dropped a tad.

Now it really works and it can see too.

• 02-01-2011 6:28 AM In reply to

I have just removed the tar-like substance on a pair of Form 1's, and am receiving new foam pads this week.

The membranes got a little deformed from removing the rotten foam, can I replace them in some sort?

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 02-01-2011 8:03 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Currently working on a Phono Pre Amp (RIAA) that will also take Datalink signals. As a test I will try it out between a BM3500 and a BG3300.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-01-2011 11:23 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Well I currently have nothing so I have aquired some shelving and I am working on my little workspace :)

Olly.

• 02-01-2011 11:25 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

You get some nice items Eugene!

Olly.

• 02-01-2011 11:54 AM In reply to

Just got hold of Beomaster 6000 Quad (with Commander) and Beogram 6000 both in fantastic condition for their age.

Beomaster is complete and seems fully functional, as far as I can tell. I have ordered a new battery for the remote. Last night,  I fed it some tracks from my hard drive with my test CX50's connected as fronts and it sounds magic. FM works but needs a decent aerial.

Beogram functions but doesn't drop the pick up arm and the stylus is goosed. Lubrication needed first!

Regards Graham

• 02-01-2011 4:09 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

joeyboygolf:

Just got hold of Beomaster 6000 Quad (with Commander) and Beogram 6000 both in fantastic condition for their age.

Beomaster is complete and seems fully functional, as far as I can tell. I have ordered a new battery for the remote. Last night,  I fed it some tracks from my hard drive with my test CX50's connected as fronts and it sounds magic. FM works but needs a decent aerial.

Beogram functions but doesn't drop the pick up arm and the stylus is goosed. Lubrication needed first!

Sounds very nice Graham! cant wait to see some pictures.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-01-2011 4:28 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Eugene what is your secret?!?!?

Please share where you get all this stuff!! Smile

Evan

• 02-01-2011 4:50 PM In reply to

Lubrication and replacement stylus and belts was all that was required. Plus a good clean up!! 

I checked and adjusted the speed of rotation with my tachodisc and it is now working 100% on stereo.

It came to me fitted with an MMC20CL with a broken cantilever. I will send this cartridge to Axel and get him to rebuild it to as close as possible to the original specification.

Regards Graham

• 02-01-2011 5:47 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Step1:

Well I currently have nothing

How is that possible?! Laughing

I have never been finished with a/v projects. I always think of something I need/want to do... Laughing

Evan

• 02-01-2011 5:56 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Does anyone know where to get (or who makes) good, soft insulated, shielded 16/18-1 wire?

I've found making my own cables to be quite fun!

Evan

• 02-01-2011 6:50 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Evan:

Does anyone know where to get (or who makes) good, soft insulated, shielded 16/18-1 wire?

What about Radio Shack? Are they still going?

CraigSmile

• 02-01-2011 6:59 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Craig:

Evan:

CraigSmile

Unfortunately, yes. Laughing

Evan

• 02-01-2011 7:52 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Craig:

Evan:

CraigSmile

Tandy As they were known over here... Wow that brings back memories. what was it, £1.99 for a pack of two red leds lol! They tried I guess. IMO Maplin are headed the same way, remember their wonderful catalogues at whsmith with all that space art? Ahhh good memories :)

Evan:

Step1:

Well I currently have nothing

How is that possible?! Laughing

I have never been finished with a/v projects. I always think of something I need/want to do... Laughing

Too true, I have got an ESR meter to complete, and also a Beomaster 1500 and Beocord 2000 reel 2 reel Deluxe gathering dust. I might write up about that one when I come to rejuvinate! Just not in the mood for the hifis right now and can't print a board for the meter. I am actually trying to work out why I can't remotely turn my main computer off using my laptop at the moment. Can turn on using WOL but not off! Any network heads around?

Olly.

• 02-01-2011 10:27 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Step1:

Tandy As they were known over here... Wow that brings back memories. what was it, £1.99 for a pack of two red leds lol! They tried I guess. IMO Maplin are headed the same way, remember their wonderful catalogues at whsmith with all that space art? Ahhh good memories :)

The Optimus T-120s I just refurbed have "Made for the Tandy Co." on the back. Yes the LEDs are a killer! I looked at maplins website a few weeks ago - so cluttered!

The customer service at Radioshack has completely turned me off.

Step1:

Too true, I have got an ESR meter to complete, and also a Beomaster 1500 and Beocord 2000 reel 2 reel Deluxe gathering dust. I might write up about that one when I come to rejuvinate! Just not in the mood for the hifis right now and can't print a board for the meter. I am actually trying to work out why I can't remotely turn my main computer off using my laptop at the moment. Can turn on using WOL but not off! Any network heads around?

I knew it! Audiophiles never rest, although they may take breaks!

Evan

• 02-02-2011 1:03 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Olly

Are you designing your own ESR meter, or have you just got a bug to build your own from a kit?

If the 2nd option, I can recommend the EVB ESR kit - a super unit - I use it every day for nearly 8 years already.

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 02-02-2011 3:55 AM In reply to

Step1:
    I am actually trying to work out why I can't remotely turn my main computer off using my laptop at the moment. Can turn on using WOL but not off! Any network heads around?

Well, you can't. WOL is implemented completely in hardware, while shutdown is a function of your OS. You would need particular support for that. Under Linux and other such nice systems it would be a one line shell script, for others you'll need to have some kind of a program that allows initiating shutdown over the net... or perhaps just install VNC or some other remote desktop server?

I'm not working on anything right now, but still wondering what is going on here... Hmm Whistle

-mika

• 02-02-2011 4:08 AM In reply to

• mhw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-29-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 207
    • Gold Member

tournedos:

Step1:
    I am actually trying to work out why I can't remotely turn my main computer off using my laptop at the moment. Can turn on using WOL but not off! Any network heads around?

Well, you can't. WOL is implemented completely in hardware, while shutdown is a function of your OS. You would need particular support for that. Under Linux and other such nice systems it would be a one line shell script, for others you'll need to have some kind of a program that allows initiating shutdown over the net... or perhaps just install VNC or some other remote desktop server?

If you use Windows you can use the shutdown command like this:

shutdown /m \\target_computer /s

• 02-02-2011 4:39 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

yachadm:

Olly

Are you designing your own ESR meter, or have you just got a bug to build your own from a kit?

If the 2nd option, I can recommend the EVB ESR kit - a super unit - I use it every day for nearly 8 years already.

Menahem

No I was / still am building a combined ESR / capacitance meter by Elektor. Quite nice actually and one of the best specs I have seen but due to my printer using organic toner (Brother) I cannot create the PCB at home, unless I go down the UV route Sad I will eventually take the thing to a printers along with my BG4000 platter!

@Mika yes I was trying to use a program called poweroff which I guess is a VNC. I couldn't get the windows standard command to work either. However found a way of changing some settings in my Local Security Protocol and the shutdown -s -m \\computername works now :) Still no luck with poweroff though :(

@Evan definitely no audiophile! As long as the overall experience is pleasant and not bothersome / tiresome in any way that is all that matters to me. That is what I like about the whole B&O experience!

Olly.

• 02-02-2011 5:21 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Mika,
    A LED in a Dirigent !
    I have a feeling that I've seen that photo before.  Laughing
    So wonderful with the glowing valves, you can almost feel the warmth.

Very nice work.  Yes -  thumbs up

Martin

• 02-02-2011 11:15 AM In reply to

yesterday

today

my front yard is a mess

Page 5 of 21 (524 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »